• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2007

Threi

notag
Hyllian said:
52xbk9f.gif

thread has been won.

*edit* rehosted

LAMBO

Good to see people not buying 400 and 600 consoles. Atrocious prices.

To a Ms price drop Gates says:
gates-simpsons.jpg

"I didn't get rich by writing checks"

MS is only in this game to stop sony and it shows, they just don't want the ps3 to take over the living room. If the super wii comes out in 2 years for $250, is as powerful as the ps3/360, compatable with the wii stuff, and has the media features then Nintendo really is genious.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
MS seem very content on keeping price at a premium. This is what they should have done in the Fall:

$399 Elite
$299 Premium

unomas

Banned
I said it months ago and I'll say it again, the Elite has basically destroyed the value and pricepoint value of the premium. MS sees Sony struggling at a high pricepoint and decides to raise the price of the console with the Elite. Worst move this gen besides just about everything Sony has done. I guess MS is more concerned about making a profit, if Sony can get to $399 for Christmas I'm jumping on the PS3 bandwagon, I don't want to take the chance of having my 3rd 360 kick the bucket on me. Get with the program Sony and I'll come aboard, but god that $599 pricetag is frightening.

Ronin said:

5x4c38y.gif

She's a very kinky girl
The kind you don't take home to mother
She will never let your spirits down
Once you get her off the street, ow girl

She likes the boys in the band
She says that I'm her all-time favorite
When I make my move to her room
It's the right time
She's never hard to please

Oh, no
That girl is pretty wild now
(The girl's a super freak)
The kind of girl you read about
(In new-wave magazines)
That girl is pretty kinky
I really love to taste her
(Every time we meet)
She's all right, she's all right
That girl's all right
With me, yeah
Hey, hey, hey-heeeey

She's a super freak, super freak
She's super-freaky, yow

Everybody sing
Super freak, super freak

She's a very special girl
(The kind of girl you want to know)
From her head down to her toenails
(Down to her feet, yeah)
And she'll wait for me at backstage
With her girlfriends
In a limousine
(Going back in Chinatown)

Three's not a crowd to her, she says
(Manaja trois)
Room 714, I'll be waiting
When I get there she's got incense
Wine and candles
It's such a freaky scene

That girl is pretty kinky
I really love to taste her
(Every time we meet)
She's all right, she's all right
That girl's all right
With me, yeah
Hey, hey, hey-heeeey

She's a super freak, super freak
She's super-freaky, yow

Temptations sing
Oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh-oooooh
Super freak, super freak
That girl's a super freak
Oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh, oh-oooooh

She's a very kinky girl
The kind you don't take home to mother
She will never let your spirits down
Once you get her off the street

5x8jn21.gif

Mashing

pilonv1 said:
:lol :lol

Basically US is lower price = win.

I've been saying this for a while now. The US is the most price conscious country on the planet. It is absolutely the most driving factor in console sales.

ORANGUTAN

Banned
LAMBO said:
People spend $300-400 on mp3 players, digital cameras, and a whole slew of other electronics devices all the time. $400 for a next-gen game console isn't much at all, especially considering the average age of gamers over the past decade has been in the mid to late 20's. The majority demographic aren't pre-teens saving up lunch money to buy a videogame system. We are adults. If you count inflation, the premium 360 is only like $50 more than what the PS2 launched at. The 360 even has a $300 SKU. So why isn't the 360 really taking off? The problem is that Xbox simply isn't as popular a brand as Playstation. It never has been and never will maybe until X720. It's a fraction of the popularity. I agree the PS3 is too much at $600 but if it didn't include Blu-ray and launched at the same price as the 360, $299-399, it would be absolutely dominating right now. I fully expect and hope (for my gaming tastes) that the next round of consoles are going to be $400-500.. because that means that there will be a true generational leap in technology over this gen , leading to improvements in every facet of gaming... gfx, gameplay, audio, interactivity, etc. By the time they're released in another 5 years, the $400 price tags will be even more acceptable.

ElFly

soundwave05 said:
Give 'em an inch and they take a mile :lol

Seriously when was the last time there was a PSP game in the top NPD top 10. I can't even remember anymore.

Awfully late, but I think it shows how big is the piracy problem when a console sells that much without the software sales following it.

ORANGUTAN said:
People spend $300-400 on mp3 players, digital cameras, and a whole slew of other electronics devices all the time. $400 for a next-gen game console isn't much at all, especially considering the average age of gamers over the past decade has been in the mid to late 20's. The majority demographic aren't pre-teens saving up lunch money to buy a videogame system. We are adults. If you count inflation, the premium 360 is only like $50 more than what the PS2 launched at. The 360 even has a $300 SKU. So why isn't the 360 really taking off? The problem is that Xbox simply isn't as popular a brand as Playstation. It never has been and never will maybe until X720. It's a fraction of the popularity. I agree the PS3 is too much at $600 but if it didn't include Blu-ray and launched at the same price as the 360, $299-399, it would be absolutely dominating right now. I fully expect and hope (for my gaming tastes) that the next round of consoles are going to be $400-500.. because that means that there will be a true generational leap in technology over this gen , leading to improvements in every facet of gaming... gfx, gameplay, audio, interactivity, etc. By the time they're released in another 5 years, the $400 price tags will be even more acceptable.

It's too muhc for what many percieve to be as a toy. Ironically, Nintendo is having more success than both Sony and Microsoft in convincing non-gamers that it's more than toy, or at the very least, a toy worth owning.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ElectricBlue187 said:
Anybody know what the projected month for Wii passing the 360 is at this rate?

Right now I have Wii about 1.5M behind, making up about 600K a month...so by August.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5928582&postcount=590

I'm not trying to call Arne out with this, I'm just frustrated to no end. You know, this isn't really about just Microsoft to me, there are a lot of people that depend on high userbases to make ends meet. You want to grow your profit margin, fine, but you do have an obligation to the ones that make your console desirable in the first place. They need to drop the price

4yp36n8.jpg

ORANGUTAN said:

This is true. A lot of these teenagers that are so turned off by the 360/PS3 prices seem to have no issues dropping 4 bills on an iPod at that same Best Buy. But no $500 for the next-next gen isn't gonna happen I don't think.

I think what a lot of folkes on GAF don't realize is for "normal" people video gaming is pretty low on the entertainment totem pole. When you're in your 20s having music to listen to, going out to bars, going out to movies, having nice clothes, a nicer car, etc. are generally higher on most people's "must have" lists. Games are on the list, sure, but I doubt for a lot of people it's like a top 5 "must have" thing.

lordmrw

ORANGUTAN said:

Someone said it on a previous page, and I think it really is true: no matter how advanced the systems get, to a casual buyer its still considered a toy. Yeah, people drop hundreds on mp3 players or cameras, but those are things that they plan on using on a daily basis. I imagine a casual gamer doesn't game everyday or even give a damn about graphics, which is why to them it isn't worth it.

Stop It said:
Indeed, they can't even claim software supremacy this month, I can't wait to see Sony spin their way out of this one too, last month they didn't even refer to PS3, this month...I can see them not referring to much at all, except that PS2 outsold 360, which is hardly an achievement.
They actually can. Nintendo tied them, but it took both the Wii and the monster that is the DS to do it.

Parch

LAMBO said:
But most gamers will easily spend that much on games in a year. Over the life of a console, the hardware isn't the biggest investment.

Cosmozone said:
People who are demanding price cuts are dead wrong. Sales are slow these months. If a price drop occurs now, sales would increase only that far and in the holiday season where sales are much stronger, you're missing out a lot of money. Can't raise the price again you know. And higher losses with each console sold, of course, as already stated.
Well, I think that's obvious...but momentum is still momentum and MS has been at the same price for a year and a half now...higher in the last two months if you wanna count Elite. Summer is here it might not matter as much, but, IMO, if they don't cut by early August, they'll have squandered a perfectly good runup to increase sales rate before the big titles hit (Madden, Halo 3, GTAIV, etc.)...increasing what userbase they have quickly and boosting software that much more. It also helps them clear inventory earlier in anticipation of lower-cost revisions of the system. Something's gotta leave the channels to make room for the inevitable Halo 3 X360 Spartan/Elite/whatever bundle, right? MS can't play against Sony this way, IMO. In my view, they should be keeping their competition off-balance, not giving them time to recover.

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD, SHOW NO MERCY.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So are we sticking in this thread or migrating to the "official" one?

LAMBO

Parch said:
But most gamers will easily spend that much on games in a year. Over the life of a console, the hardware isn't the biggest investment.

Most gamers here, not most gamers. I don't come close to $400 a year on games. I've never payed more than $200 for a console and that's not going to change just because MS and sony are delusional.

Earthstrike said:
Just more proof people can't deal witht he reality that Nintendo is outputting games more people want to play, so they just put the entirety of the onus on the price, instead of attributing some of the poor sales to Sony's and Microsoft's unimaginative, primitive notions about what games are and what they should become.
GTFO

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Most of games for Nintendo platforms were the company's titles, compared with the Xbox 360, which had games from independent publishers break the charts," said Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Microsoft's Xbox 360.

"For the Xbox 360, we are seeing 65% of third-party sales come from third-party publishers, compared with 15% for the PS3 and 25% for the Wii," he said.

http://www.thestreet.com/newsanalysis/techgames/10362733_2.html

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
LAMBO said:
Most gamers here, not most gamers. I don't come close to $400 a year on games. I've never payed more than $200 for a console and that's not going to change just because MS and sony are delusional.

You miss out on some of the best games then. Your loss.

jj984jj said:
Will it help in Japan though? I remember that the PSP LTD got close to passing the DS LTD even though it launched months later, the US does like to buy the hardware.

More like Nintendo moneyhats, scb told is PS3 beat it this month.
That's wierd and pretty true. The PSP is the anti-360.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
capslock said:

Most of games for Nintendo platforms were the company's titles, compared with the Xbox 360, which had games from independent publishers break the charts," said Aaron Greenberg, group product manager for Microsoft's Xbox 360.

"For the Xbox 360, we are seeing 65% of third-party sales come from third-party publishers, compared with 15% for the PS3 and 25% for the Wii," he said.

Oh yeah. Then 35% of third party sales come from MGS? lol

Okin

ORANGUTAN said:

What you just stated is being proved a bad idea with every NPD thread. If the quality games are there, price is the very next important thing.

Secondly, ignoring teens and kids is a good way to be unsuccessfull. People buying consoles at 25 didn't just start that habit.

And finally, joey didn't saving up for an ipod. His parents bought it for him. It's hard to convince your parents to buy you a $400 console, and then $60 games every few months. Price matters. Alot!

Top Bottom