• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2013 [Up2: 360, 3DS Est, Software lowest since May 2000]

Assuming Wii U is ~33,000.

L9wynTz.png

The rift between the GameCube and the Wii U continues to increase.

LOL at the Wii U performing worse than the GC, Nintendo's previously worst performing home console.

Needs to be requoted for hilarity.

Rlan

If you want to compare Xbox Live Arcade sales statistics for May, which I still do, here's my May list:

may2013-4.png

Remember, these is PLAYERS and is WORLDWIDE. For most games this is a good metric (Blood Dragon), but others not so much (Castle Crashers due tot he 4 player modes)

Also not that Minecraft's data is straight from Mojang themselves, so it's entirely accurate!

So for the month of May:

- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon has done very well, with over 200,000 players in four weeks. I imagine it's also done well on PSN and PC.
- Doritos Crash Course 2 added 1,460,878 players to the leaderboards over 3 weeks. By comparison the original Doritos Crash Course added 1,449,359 in 4 weeks - so Crash Course 2 has actually done a LOT better than the original! Now if it's made money is another thing entirely, because we've no idea.
- Way of The Dogg did terribly (and got awful reviews) and Monaco hasn't done well either.
- Unfortunately could not follow Sanctum 2 or Hunter's Trophy. Sanctum 2 is the best reviewed game of the month with 81 on Metacritic, while Hunter's Trophy has the lowest with 25.
- Also couldn't follow Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which is a shame. It does have 8,856 players on the "Arcade Mode" leaderboard, which probably means there's a LOT more than that who have played the normal game. Also had good buzz around it at the moment.

Other notes:

- Terraria has hit over 350,000 players.
- Battleblock Theater is over 200,000 players.
- Minecraft still doing nearly a quarter of a million sales a month. And the retail release is now in stores!

If you want to compare Xbox Live Arcade sales statistics for May, which I still do, here's my May list:

may2013-4.png

Remember, these is PLAYERS and is WORLDWIDE. For most games this is a good metric (Blood Dragon), but others not so much (Castle Crashers due tot he 4 player modes)

Also not that Minecraft's data is straight from Mojang themselves, so it's entirely accurate!

So for the month of May:

- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon has done very well, with over 200,000 players in four weeks. I imagine it's also done well on PSN and PC.
- Doritos Crash Course 2 added 1,460,878 players to the leaderboards over 3 weeks. By comparison the original Doritos Crash Course added 1,449,359 in 4 weeks - so Crash Course 2 has actually done a LOT better than the original! Now if it's made money is another thing entirely, because we've no idea.
- Way of The Dogg did terribly (and got awful reviews) and Monaco hasn't done well either.
- Unfortunately could not follow Sanctum 2 or Hunter's Trophy. Sanctum 2 is the best reviewed game of the month with 81 on Metacritic, while Hunter's Trophy has the lowest with 25.
- Also couldn't follow Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which is a shame. It does have 8,856 players on the "Arcade Mode" leaderboard, which probably means there's a LOT more than that who have played the normal game. Also had good buzz around it at the moment.

Other notes:

- Terraria has hit over 350,000 players.
- Battleblock Theater is over 200,000 players.
- Minecraft still doing nearly a quarter of a million sales a month. And the retail release is now in stores!

Thanks for the efforts. I've always enjoyed it!

Anything big coming out in the next few months ?

June: Game and Wario, Luigi U
July: Nothing
August: Pikmin 3
September: Wonderful 101
October: Wind Waker
November: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
December: Super Mario 3D World

Roughly a mid-high tier game a month. Should help things.

Did pretty well in my predictions other than being way too low on PS3, meh.

Capcom better pray they didn't kill Resident Evil with 6 and that multiplayer shooter because it's the only thing they might have left in the West.

i think a lower bound for the ps4 will be how the 360 did in its early days where it had a rather average numbers of units sold but still pushed a bunch of software and had a crazy high attach rate

I think it will do really well, but I could see a lot of people who bought current-gen consoles but weren't that into gaming before just getting burned out on the software produced and could see them move forward and moving on some new thing.

Those software total sales are catastrophic... There may be a game industry crash inbound. New consoles will sell well for first three months and doubt they'll do Wii u numbers but there is a good chance of them underperforming last gen now IMO.

AniHawk

mario and sonic, sonic: lost world, scribblenauts, and wii party u are also due out this year too.

I'm confused what this comment means.

Are you saying it does need a price cut - like the GameCube got in May 2002.

Or are you saying that a price cut won't help, like it didn't in the grand scheme for the GameCube?
The latter, it needs the software first and foremost.

i did. i was confused. i thought it was referring to two different things.
For the first time ever you've disappointed me.

Yawnier

Banned
Those software total sales are catastrophic... There may be a game industry crash inbound. New consoles will sell well for first three months and doubt they'll do Wii u numbers but there is a good chance of them underperforming last gen now IMO.

I hope that another video game industry crash does not happen. Aside from games which will end up being ultra cheap for us the consumers, the negative effects will be fully felt on many publishers and developers and they will have the chance of going out of business. Not good.

To specify:

June: Game & Wario, Luigi U (DLC)
July: Jack shit
August: Pikmin 3, Luigi U (retail) / Multiplats: Disney Infinity, Planes, Splinter Cell
September: Wonderful 101 / Multiplats: Rayman Legends
October: Wind Waker, Wii Party U / Multiplats: AC4, Batman, Just Dance, Skylanders
November: Donkey Kong Country, Mario & Sonic Olympics / Multiplats: Watch_Dogs
December: Super Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U

Sonic, Scribblenauts DC Wii U, and Deus Ex don't have release dates.

I have a gut feeling there's a revisioned Vita in the works. The current Vita is dead. But they wouldn't be hyping up the remote play so much if they knew it was going to be a dead system by the time PS4 comes out.

$149 slimmer packaged memory card is my bet. Not going to do wonders, but with the potential mega pS4 success it might pick up it up to at least the 60k-80k range.

If they go $149 I don't think they pack-in a mem card. $199 with a pack-in

I hope that another video game industry crash does not happen. Aside from games which will end up being ultra cheap for us the consumers, the negative effects will be fully felt on many publishers and developers and they will have the chance of going out of business. Not good.

How does a crash even happen? People just flat out go on a strike against buying games?

An August price drop is probably their plan. December is going to be very interesting as not only is there Mario but its after a slate of quite a few good games.

Kandinsky

I'm confused what this comment means.

Are you saying it does need a price cut - like the GameCube got in May 2002.

Or are you saying that a price cut won't help, like it didn't in the grand scheme for the GameCube?
He is probably saying that the price drop did shit for the gamecube :p

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
this is the period where soul sacrifice got released isn't it?

the indies didn't help save the vita at all.

Petrae

The industry is fine. The console sector, right now, is not.

Even if the console sector was to struggle mightily, games are still being bought and played in strong numbers on mobile and PC.

Could the console sector crash? Unlikely but possible. Could the industry as a whole crash? Almost certainly not.

Damn the WiiU is just doing horrible. So is Vita. They must be banking on people picking one up to use with a PS4 or something...but they need a big price drop for that to happen.

The latter, it needs the software first and foremost.
He is probably saying that the price drop did shit for the gamecube :p
Price is a big lever in the US, to deny so is folly.

Sales in the US for the GameCube averaged ~19.5K/week in the 4 months of 2002 (Jan-April) prior to a price drop; while they increased to an average of 35.5K/week in the 4 months after the May 2002 price drop (June-Sept).

Typically the US summer sees sales fall, iirc.

The only significant game release I can find for the May-Aug period is SSBM; but I do not think that that game is what caused a significant baseline increase in sales over the summer period. Mario Sunshine released at the end of August, but there was no major uptick in September.

October: Wind Waker, Wii U Party
December: Super Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U

Added the casual games.

Petrae

How does a crash even happen? People just flat out go on a strike against buying games?

Essentially, yes. Consumers buy fewer games and consoles and video games fall out of favor. Happened due to oversaturation of software in 1983.

I don't see a crash, per se. I see a console sector correction as there are more gaming choices aside from consoles these days. Mobile, PC, and even Smart TVs all represent potential gaming vehicles. The Wii crowd will likely go elsewhere; some may transition to other consoles while many others go mobile or PC.

Yawnier

Banned

No, not really. Well, I suppose you can take a look at the 1983 Video Game Crash. A lot of it had to do with too many hardware manufacturers on the market, way more than 3 or 4 stable ones we have in the market right now. Plus, way too many subar and mediocre games were being developed by people - prime examples include E.T. and Pac Man both on the Atari 2600 that is. Hence, the creation of the "Nintendo Seal of Quality" for the NES, to impose a limit on developers making shitty games that pissed off consumers.

Another reason why it happened was that some people who could have been buying purely video game consoles - ended up buying computers instead as they had a wide array of practical functions including that of gaming, plus it didn't help many computer games looked better than console games at the time (graphically). Nintendo themselves helped to save the market with the NES, but who knows if they would be there again to save us if another crash were to happen a few years from now.

There are probably a few more reasons I'm missing why a crash even happens, but that is the jist of it I think.

Assuming Wii U is ~33,000.

L9wynTz.png

The rift between the GameCube and the Wii U continues to increase.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if the Wii U will ever have one month that sells better than the Gamecube. The difference grows every month. It will only get worse once the PS4/XB1 are out.

Next month, because of a price cut and other reasons, the GameCube managed a whopping 213K units sold...it wouldn't hit below 50K until April 2006 and usually managed around 100K every month.

So, the Wii U would have to nearly triple its current performance (~8.25K/week) to even begin to match it at this point.

Now of course, a Wii U price cut will definitely achieve that effect temporarily----but for how long? Will it establish a new 100K/4-week precedent similar to the GameCube?

Or will the Wii U retreat back to a <50K/4-week baseline sans Holiday? I guess that's the million-dollar question for investors like me.

Top Bottom