• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2013 [Up2: 360, 3DS Est, Software lowest since May 2000]

They just have to cancel this thing- I live in a big metropolis and still haven't seen one out in the wild and I saw a lot of PSPs back in the day. Remote play won't (and shouldn't) move Vita units. There are probably 5 people in the US who would be compelled to buy a Vita by Remote Play.

Stick a fork in the Vita, its done. It's moving approximately 50k a month between Japan and the US which is abysmal. It just needs to be a sunk cost- time to move on.

It's a shame that Sony has so much capital, otherwise they may actually care whether or not the Vita is alive or dead.

In a way, SCEJA / WWS HAS already "moved on"---the focus is squarely on the PS4. Meanwhile, the Vita is currently being repurposed as a niche indie console and a PS4 controller.
If anything, it promotes the SEN ecosystem and PSN Plus and augments PS4 adoption and fosters positive gamer goodwill and satiates Sony's niche audiences.

I'd say that's reason enough to keep it alive; after all, it seems like the Vita doesn't significantly drain SCEI's bottom-line.

It's a shame that Sony has so much capital, otherwise they may actually care whether or not the Vita is alive or dead.

In a way, SCEJA / WWS HAS already "moved on"---the focus is squarely on the PS4. Meanwhile, the Vita is currently being repurposed as a niche indie console and a PS4 controller.
If anything, it promotes the SEN ecosystem and PSN Plus and augments PS4 adoption and fosters positive gamer goodwill and satiates Sony's niche audiences.

I'd say that's reason enough to keep it alive; after all, it seems like the Vita doesn't significantly drain SCEI's bottom-line.

But how long until retailers decide to kill it themselves by liquidating their unsold dust collecting stock (like all other failed systems before).

What is more of a pipe dream? 9 million WiiU or 5 million PSV+PSP? I honestly think the former is more unlikely due to PSP probably still selling in certain developing countries. I also think the 3DS 18 million figure is starting to become more and more unlikely.

I have a gut feeling there's a revisioned Vita in the works. The current Vita is dead. But they wouldn't be hyping up the remote play so much if they knew it was going to be a dead system by the time PS4 comes out.

$149 slimmer packaged memory card is my bet. Not going to do wonders, but with the potential mega pS4 success it might pick up it up to at least the 60k-80k range.

If there was a revision coming, I think we would have found out at E3...price drop, probably to clear remaining stock, is probably coming. Announcing at Gamescom for Killzone and Tearway.

If you want to compare Xbox Live Arcade sales statistics for May, which I still do, here's my May list:

may2013-4.png

Remember, these is PLAYERS and is WORLDWIDE. For most games this is a good metric (Blood Dragon), but others not so much (Castle Crashers due tot he 4 player modes)

Also not that Minecraft's data is straight from Mojang themselves, so it's entirely accurate!

So for the month of May:

- Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon has done very well, with over 200,000 players in four weeks. I imagine it's also done well on PSN and PC.
- Doritos Crash Course 2 added 1,460,878 players to the leaderboards over 3 weeks. By comparison the original Doritos Crash Course added 1,449,359 in 4 weeks - so Crash Course 2 has actually done a LOT better than the original! Now if it's made money is another thing entirely, because we've no idea.
- Way of The Dogg did terribly (and got awful reviews) and Monaco hasn't done well either.
- Unfortunately could not follow Sanctum 2 or Hunter's Trophy. Sanctum 2 is the best reviewed game of the month with 81 on Metacritic, while Hunter's Trophy has the lowest with 25.
- Also couldn't follow Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which is a shame. It does have 8,856 players on the "Arcade Mode" leaderboard, which probably means there's a LOT more than that who have played the normal game. Also had good buzz around it at the moment.

Other notes:

- Terraria has hit over 350,000 players.
- Battleblock Theater is over 200,000 players.
- Minecraft still doing nearly a quarter of a million sales a month. And the retail release is now in stores!

Do you have something similar for PSN?

ILoveBish

But how long until retailers decide to kill it themselves by liquidating their unsold dust collecting stock (like all other failed systems before).

They still stock the wii u and its as much of a disaster as the vita is, probably more so in the grand scheme of things.

3DS is not going to dominate like the DS, that's clear. Smartphones will continue to slice off huge portions of the portable gaming market and there's not much of anything Nintendo can do about it.

Meanwhile the Wii U is a disaster. Between a shrinking portable market that no longer prints money, and a failing console...I don't see Nintendo's future as being bright.

Cheech

They still stock the wii u and its as much of a disaster as the vita is, probably more so in the grand scheme of things.

No, the Wii U has a decent slate of fall titles that will have enormously high attach rates to the hardware out there and make everyone money.

The Vita is just taking up space that could be used for other things.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
No, the Wii U has a decent slate of fall titles that will have enormously high attach rates to the hardware out there and make everyone money.

The Vita is just taking up space that could be used for other things.

I can see it now, if the PS4 is as hard to come by as something like the Wii was in 2006 it shouldn't be too hard for retailers to clear out Vitas - Just package them all with PS4s.

Cheech

I can see it now, if the PS4 is as hard to come by as something like the Wii was in 2006 it shouldn't be too hard for retailers to clear out Vitas - Just package them all with PS4s.

Yeah. In fact, I was expecting Sony to have a PS4 SKU with a pack-in Vita. Kind of shocked they didn't, there must be warehouses full of the things.

Petrae

Except that Vita is on month 15 with no signs of life. Wii U sure is struggling too, but it's been available for less than half the time.

Vita is the bigger disaster here. No help from Sony to get units moving, inconsistent software support, no advertising... and this hasn't changed in months.

At least in the case of 3DS, Nintendo did something to try and fuel sales via a price cut-- and there's finally some compelling, widely appealing software out now and on the way. Vita has indie support (which isn't widely appealing) and Sony refuses to budge on the MSRP.

Vita is, in a word, a disasterbacle. Full stop.

Deprive

Hope Sony keeps making the Vita until the end of 2014. Really want one even if it is doomed :.(

ps re-release white

Petrae

Hope Sony keeps making the Vita until the end of 2014. Really want one even if it is doomed :.(

ps re-release white

Colleagues that I've talked to keep trying to sell me on 2014 being The Year of The Vita. If they're right, you have nothing to worry about.

Personally, I vehemently disagree with them and think the platform is toast.

AniHawk

next generation will probably be slow going at first. i expect microsoft to bank heavily off the mainstream wave they've been riding for the last two+ years and hope that carries them above whatever advantages the ps4 has. however, while the price is an issue for microsoft- and $500 is firmly in the 'too damn expensive' category- the always online will really hurt them with this demographic. yeah, lots of families in america have internet, but we're talking about the sort of people that bought a kinect or a wii. are they going to buy a $500 console and hook it up to the internet themselves just to use it as an advanced tv remote controller? i'm not so sure anymore. this means, they're only left with the hardcore gamer, who hates their guts. i do not envy microsoft's position.

sony on the other hand, is looking better than before. unlike microsoft, they've been supporting their console over the last several years with a string of critically-acclaimed releases. ps3 sales have kept close to the xbox, despite never surpassing them. if the xbox one is the failure it's being heralded as, and the ps4 lives up to most expectations, it should do well early on. however, given sony's weakened state in the us compared to the ps2 era, i don't know how many new users will pay for a $400 console month after month. people are already expecting 6 months of the console selling out at retail and i have to wonder why. it's not like the ps2, which doubled as a dvd player. it's not the wii, which introduced a new way to play video games. there are good features with the share button and gaikai, but how much of that will be available at launch? and will the general public even care that much?

i'm not expecting the frenzied rush the ps2 or the wii saw with either of the coming consoles. i will probably be wrong. and while i do expect sellouts through christmas and january, i think things will stabilize right around march and april, with sales around 200k for the ps4 and less than that for the xbox one.

i think the people concerned about a crash expect a situation where neither console really sets the world on fire, and the ps4 just kinda does a ho-hum 150k or so a month.

Deprive

Colleagues that I've talked to keep trying to sell me on 2014 being The Year of The Vita. If they're right, you have nothing to worry about.

I agree with you. I see Sony maybe trying to give the platform one last major push with a redesign perhaps, but 2014 will probably be it's last year.

Sandfox

I honestly do not know what to expect from the Vita in 2014 since we have nothing announced(though to be fair we only have like 3 2014 titles for the 3DS so far).

ILoveBish

Except that Vita is on month 15 with no signs of life. Wii U sure is struggling too, but it's been available for less than half the time.

Vita is the bigger disaster here. No help from Sony to get units moving, inconsistent software support, no advertising... and this hasn't changed in months.

At least in the case of 3DS, Nintendo did something to try and fuel sales via a price cut-- and there's finally some compelling, widely appealing software out now and on the way. Vita has indie support (which isn't widely appealing) and Sony refuses to budge on the MSRP.

Vita is, in a word, a disasterbacle. Full stop.

I agree that Vita is on a level of disaster thats amazing, but i also consider the Wii u on the same level. Flagship system from nintendo, has a sequel to a multi million selling franchise and selling ~35k a month in the US, even worse in japan and likely doing 100x worse in europe. Its insanely bad, the software isnt selling and I dont see much that will turn things around personally. Keep in mind, i am a day 1 wii u basic owner.

Latest from the "How Badly is the Wii U Doing?" series:

npd_vita_wiiu_7mofquvy.png

Yep, just as bad, as i mentioned earlier.

Keyouta

First time was april 2006 (38k)

How many people here believe the Wii U's lineup for the rest of the year will bring the system back to relevance? Their games look good, but will the majority of consumers be siding with them, or do you guys and gals think the PS4 and Xbone will pull more of the market?

hatchx

Banned
As for the WiiU, I didn't expect much of a jump with......0 releases. I would expect a very small spike in June with some releases and e3 buzz, but for things not to really pick up until October.

Man, the next month WiiU or Vita sells over 100k, or dare I say 200k, is going to be like an NPD-party.

Petrae

I honestly do not know what to expect from the Vita in 2014 since we have nothing announced(though to be fair we only have like 3 2014 titles for the 3DS so far).

At least, in the case of the 3DS, we have software already coming in 2013 that appeals to a wide range of consumers. Animal Crossing looks to be doing that. Pokemon should sell very well. There's another Mario game coming. There's no need just yet to be concerned with 2014 when 2013 is shaping up to be a decent year-- especially in Q3/Q4.

What has the Vita got in 2013? Nothing as wide-reaching. Maybe Killzone: Mercenary, but with GTA V and Pokemon getting all the headlines in September, will anyone care? Vita has a total of 15 titles up on GameStop's website for pre-release. That's it. 15. 3DS has more than double that number.

Perhaps Vita turns around in 2014, thanks to PS4. Maybe an indie title catches fire with the mainstream. Personally, I doubt it. Remote play sounds nice until you hear the price, which is tacked onto your $400 purchase... plus games, plus accessories, plus online subscription. As for indies, it's a longshot to find the next Minecraft.

ToxicAdam

What's sad about the PSV and WiiU is that they are not bad devices. They are not like the Jaguar, 32X, Game Gear or Virtual Boy. But their pace of sales are going to put them on that lowest rung of failures.

Petrae

Worst software sales in 13 years? July will beat that. July is going to take us to the 90s.

At least there's NCAA Football, which tends to attract the mainstream and prep them for (American) football season. July would be barren otherwise.

AniHawk

What's sad about the PSV and WiiU is that they are not bad devices. They are not like the Jaguar, 32X, Game Gear or Virtual Boy. But their pace of sales are going to put them on that lowest rung of failures.

the vita was kinda sent to die, seemingly on purpose. the same might be said of the wii u, but a rescue mission was eventually mounted.

the game gear really doesn't belong in that list either. i'm fairly certain it outsold the saturn and the dreamcast.

Top Bottom