• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2013 [Up2: 360, 3DS Est, Software lowest since May 2000]

antonz

Yeah, I expect TLOU and Animal Crossing to just totally dominate the month of June.

oh yeah and it will be another 3DS #1 month. Iwata already revealed the first week of June saw 3DS sales grow 4x the usual weekly rate so they could have sold 100K units in that week alone

Mileena

Banned
Wonder how much Donkey Kong Country's $35 price tag helped sales. Hopefully enough for NOA to take notice and make that the default 1st-party price going forward. Would just be a $5 increase over the DS default price, then, instead of the $10 increase it had been.

It should have been $30 since it's a late late port, I bet it would have done even better. One dollar per frame per second!

3DS > 360

So

Nintendo > all ?

Yeah its the first time since the 3DS launched its been number one. Kind of a hollow victory at this point, but it should be on top the rest of the year with Pokemon and AC. Nintendo's looking to have a good year with the 3DS and Iwata may be able to reach his goal yet if it wasn't for that meddling Wii U.

Foshy

Wow on the 3DS software sales. Also, the big push back up on Lego Batman 2 was likely because it hit the Wii U in May.
The Wii U version got outsold by every other one except the Vita and PC versions, so no, that's definitely not the reason for it.

Lower price (34.99 instead of 39.99) is probably helping. And it'll help Animal Crossing a lot.

Yeah, that's a factor. We're getting towards the sweet spot.

Next month's Animal Crossing vs. The Last of Us battle might be interesting. I reckon 3DS has got the platform race for next month sewn up, but the software might be something else.
Even with new consoles releasing?

Quite possibly, unless one of them is an out-of-the-gates Wii-style smash.

Oh God. It's like, I want to know, but I don't want to know. :(

I just want to know if Vita is below 10k and Wii U below 30k. Below 10k is basically non existant and reserved for dead systems in bomba bins

Could be, but 360 has that redesign released this month, too, and 360 seems to do well in June normally, IIRC

Theyve had the laptop promotion the last few years right?

Daingurse

It begins.

Indeed.

Happy to see Injustice doing well. I need to play it more, get my Doomsday on.

610353-doomsday.jpg

Wii-U numbers should be painful this month.

Blueblur1

If this persists the big boys are gonna be in trouble this fall. Especially when one of the consoles is gonna go for $500.00.

Animal Crossing is going to kill next month. If DK did as well in the rankings as it did, the buzz and local evidence I've seen from Animal Crossing is going to make it at the top spot or #2 for sure.

Kenka

The rhythm at which retail market has been shrinking is nothing but incredible. Record year of the industry was only 5 years ago. We are back to levels 8 years prior to the peak.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Could be, but 360 has that redesign released this month, too, and 360 seems to do well in June normally, IIRC.

3DS increased 4x last week, compared to the week before, thanks to The Villager.

Madouu

Quoting my post from the other thread

I think the most interesting thing to see will be Animal Crossing's impact on 3ds sales. I don't expect it to be that great personally, which is a shame but we shall see.

This month, not much to see apart from 3ds finally being number 1 I guess and the decent but not amazing sales of DKCR3D.

Still, if the figure Iwata gave was for the whole week, June is indeed shaping up to be a pretty nice month for 3ds. We'll probably have software numbers for AC too (retail + digital) which is cool.

3DS "edged out 360" this month in sales; its numbers are similar to May 2012 sales.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...-second-month?abthid=51bf91f81c49f8906f00001b

NPD analyst Liam Callahan reports that “Nintendo’s 3DS edged out the 360 as the top selling platform across hardware and portables. However, the 360 was the top selling console hardware platform this month for the twenty-ninth consecutive month. The 3DS had the best year-over-year trending for hardware units, with units sales essentially flat from last May.”

Striek

Alright, now it time to drop the current-gen prices, this is getting silly. When was the last time Battlefield 3 was in the charts?

offshore

If one of Sony or MS had targeted a 2012 release instead of deciding to keep holding off, that platform holder would be owning the market right now and building a nice lead, instead of having to go head-to-head this year.

Though I guess you can argue Sony may own the market anyway thanks to MS' incompetence.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Could be the case that the SKUs listed for games are ordered by the total sales of the respective game on that platform and not just the current month?

Oh wow RE:R didn't chart. Is the RE series seeing franchise fatigue?

Went to Futureshop today and looked at the physical games on the shelves. Saw RE, didn't see anything about it prior to seeing the box. Same with Grid 2.

I'd love to know what the current DD numbers are and how they are trending.

Ennoia

Banned
Seems that Gamasutra didn't like NPD figures anymore……

I need to ask myself if the monthly NPD figures paint a truthful picture of the video game industry -- does conveying monthly NPD releases to our readers help in their day-to-day decisions? I have to say "no." I've seen on Twitter and in Gamasutra comments that a lot of our readers also answer "no." Even the president of the Entertainment Software Association, Michael Gallagher, agrees that the monthly NPD U.S. retail figures hold little value these days.

Could be the case that the SKUs listed for games are ordered by the total sales of the respective game on that platform and not just the current month?

Nope, DKCR3D has not outsold the Wii version by a longshot.

Only 4-5 more months until Sony can un-tuck it's tail and start posting it's numbers again.

Unless Vita is discontinued before then, no they can't.

Lasdrub

Even though I'm not interested in all of those games, I like that Nintendo has something big every month through the rest of the year.

Top Bottom