• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2013 [Up2: 360, 3DS Est, Software lowest since May 2000]

Drago

I think I remember AZ Greg saying he doesn't actually have NPD numbers, but I don't remember exactly, so take the WiiU < 34k with a grain of salt.

Not that I expect differently....

The $50 in addition to stick acceleration issues/aim issues on ALL the releases certainly didn't help. Did Capcom even bother to patch/re-release the demo to show that hey, we fixed it!?

I know they supposedly fixed the PC version but they still haven't (to my knowledge) fixed any of the console releases.
I wasn't aware of this. Jesus..I wondered why I came away from the demo preferring the old 'tank' style controls.

lefantome

That's software wise, and the answer is quite clear: good amount of Nintendo titles released.

I expected the bump for the Luigi's Mansion release back in march/april but DK has been a big success.

Anyway 3ds are far away from the DS sales in May 2007: 423.000 units

EDIT: fail, it's SOFTWARE to be up 60%, not hardware.

And before people freak out about hardware being down....

http://www.clickz.com/clickz/news/1697547/video-games-sales-soften-after-record-1999

Sales of video game console hardware and software were down 20 percent and 4 percent in terms of dollar sales, but the portable category showed significant growth in 2000. Portable software sales rose 26 percent in dollar terms and 28 percent in unit terms. Portable accessories were also a stromg performer in 2000, up 56 percent in dollars and 76 percent in units compared to 1999. According to NPD, the continued growth of the portable category was driven in part by the popularity of the Pokemon games, illustrated by the fact that four of the top 10 selling game titles for the year 2000 were Pokemon Game Boy and Game Boy Color.

This almost could've been written this year with a few words plugged into different spaces.

Drago

But why didn't he type "Prediction: WiiU<34k" if true?

The same thing happened the last time I saw him post something like that (he didn't say it was a prediction); people called him out on it and he said it was just a prediction.

I'll try looking for the post in question. Time to test my memory!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
About the 3DS sales for June: considering the last two months have been 4-weeks month, if Iwata's claims are right, 3DS sold in one week as much as in whole March and April.

3DS slowly becomming the strongest platform in NA and UK?

Even with zero western third parties they certainly have a good lineup comming up (animal crossing, pokemon, zelda) so it will be interesting if they can hold their own against ps360 and xbone, ps4 this holiday season

GulAtiCa

About the 3DS sales for June: considering the last two months have been 4-weeks month, if Iwata's claims are right, 3DS sold in one week as much as in whole March and April.

Pretty sure Iwata said the 200k thing was for software, not hardware

Calamari41

41 > 38
NPD threads were interesting and incredibly informative back in the days when we had every little piece of information immediately in the OP, but I kind of like that it is now a days-long puzzle.

How much does it cost to get access to the NPD reports, anyway?

-Eddman-

So, finally a good month for Nintendo and its the worst since 2000?

Anyway, glad the 3DS is picking steam along with its game library, hopefully something similar happens to the Wii U once more games appear.

CTLance

Well, thanks for the NPD numbers, as always. Still sad we only get these meager breadcrumbs, but hey, better than nothing. Not looking a gift horse in its mouth.

NPD threads were interesting and incredibly informative back in the days when we had every little piece of information immediately in the OP, but I kind of like that it is now a days-long puzzle.

How much does it cost to get access to the NPD reports, anyway?
Several thousands of dollars.

Depends what you want, if you wan't further analysis and so on, you need to pay more.

French gaming association S.E.L.L. payed 1.000.000 € for GfK-data in a year.

Even with zero western third parties they certainly have a good lineup comming up (animal crossing, pokemon, zelda) so it will be interesting if they can hold their own against ps360 and xbone, ps4 this holiday season

The 3DS is cheaper than the competition though. The PS2 was $129 4 years into its life compared to $270 for the PS3/360 7/8years in.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Several thousands of dollars.

Depends what you want, if you wan't further analysis and so on, you need to pay more.

French gaming association S.E.L.L. payed 1.000.000 € for GfK-data in a year.

Thanks, thats a pretty god damn good explanation for why more Gaffers aren't dropping hints.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Handhelds have never needed all that much in the way of Western support, not when you got Japanese support.

Tom_Cody

Unlike the last generational transition where the PS2 shifted the most consoles in the fall of 2006, it looks like both the 360 and PS3 will have run their course by the time their next iterations hit the market.

Kazerei

Banned
Lowest since May 2000 ... ouch. The industry grew immensely in the PS2 era and the Wii era, so to drop down to those levels is seriously troubling.

Lynn616

Pre-orders for PS4 and Xbone are looking strong and will hopefully be what the doctor ordered because these are the fucking dog days and then some.

We will see but I fear that the PS4 and X1 will both sell like shit. $400 and $500 console surely are not the answer to what is happening right now.

Unlike the last generational transition where the PS2 shifted the most consoles in the fall of 2006, it looks like both the 360 and PS3 will have run their course by the time their next iterations hit the market.

$400 is a good price, but its not mainstream price. Although the low numbers would suggest that a lot of people are saving for the new consoles, only time will tell.

I expect PS4 to be a hit until Jan.

I think Wii U moved some Lego Batman DC 2 games.

AniHawk

well microsoft did keep their console $300 for eight goddamn years, and sony kept it that price or more for slightly less time.

$300 was a good price for a ps3 back in 2008 or so. now it's just ridiculous.

Top Bottom