• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

That's what happens when you spam ridiculously unfunny, uncool, and flat out embarrassing kevin butler ads over and over and offer a product that is clearly outclassed by the 360 both on a hardware and software level. Nobody would want to be associated with your shit Sony.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Kafel said:
Is it possible for Blops PC to be in the top 10 ?
Based on the Microsoft PR that put Reach at #10 and DC at #11, no.

However, it is possible that PC games don't get ranked on the individual SKUs chart. Which I think is probably the case.

CozMick said:
GT5: Prologue Worldwide >5,000,000

What makes anyone think that GT5 won't go above and beyond this figure?

Europe is a beast where this game is involved.

Serious question.

It was all Bundles so that doesn't count.

Dartastic

Why does everyone think gt5 bombed so hard? Has there been any marketing out there at all? Also, remember it was only out for a short period of time before the numbers came in. Next month will probably be different, and it will continue to sell.

antonz

Surprised PSP wasnt mentioned. Would think all the big cuts in price and bundles they could have boosted enough for a PR touting victory

Kusagari

The-Warning said:
It's not Kevin Butler's fault. It's about games. Sony has a barren holiday season besides GT5 which was botched as usual by PD and Sony, because that's what Sony does, botch things. The LBP2 delay was a big blow. That would have been a great holiday gift game.

No it isn't about games. Every game that's exclusive to PS3 has been supposed to help it and none of them have done anything. The 360 had almost nothing exclusive this holiday besides Fable 3 and Kinect stuff and it's still beating PS3 and Wii. These are just the lame excuses PS3 always gets.

jkanownik

user_nat said:
However, it is possible that PC games don't get ranked on the individual SKUs chart. Which I think is probably the case.

This. Although NPD has commented in the past on where PC titles would have ranked had they been included.

Kenka

CozMick said:

Serious question.

We cold discuss it but it is irrevelant to the topic (US sales).

But sure, GT5 is doing great in Europe and is shaping into a solid release there. No need to worry.

RBH

GeoramA said:
Delays, almost zero marketing, and still the only $300 console on the market.

2011 has to be the big turnaround or they can kiss their 2nd place chances goodbye.
Bullshit. :lol

There's been a ton of PS3/Move/GT5 ads on TV, much more than Wii and 360.

sphinx

the piano man
this is not fair, last generation every single month that the gamecube sold like crap it was made public to everyone so they could laugh and point at it.

Now the PSP sells bad and they just get away with not showing the numbers and pretending it doesn´t exist?

I DEMAND PSP numbers right now.

OldJadedGamer said:
FYI, this is an NPD thread.
Yes, but in the original conversation they were probably talking about WW numbers, so in that case it's not relevant for an NPD thread in the first place.

szaromir

Banned
I hope EviLore will be able to get some numbers like he did last month, they really made the situation clear, having absolute numbers outside of Call of Duty would be very informative.

CozMick said:

Serious question.

Maybe a nice chunk of those with Prologue, will be happy to stick with Prologue? Especially with some bad word of mouth.

I'm not saying that WILL happen, but it'as a possibility.

Baki said:
PS3 numbers are abysmal. What else did they expect with a $399 MOVE package, poor GT5 marketing campaign and strong showings on their competitors part.

This.

Awful pricing levels in relation to the competition (no one cares that it has Blu-ray, or about the size of the hard-drive included), fuck all advertising (and when it is on, it's shit) and a pathetic release schedule (GT5 was a huge fuck-up, LBP2 delay is at a bad time - if it even manages to catch on and become a good seller).

And to top it all off, if you can ignore Kinect, 360 had probably it's strongest few months (reflected in sales numbers) with Reach/Fable and a seriously large push for CoD being the game to have on 360. Wii has been insanely cheap or bundled very well over the last few months (at least in Australia) and the advertising is consistent and appropriate.

PS3 has been one massive train wreck from the beginning, any time it starts to see improvement, Sony manage to screw the pooch and fuck it up again, which despite the Playstation brand name, hurts them even more due to Microsoft's surprisingly good efforts to keep the consumer interested.

Paracelsus

OldJadedGamer said:
FYI, this is an NPD thread.

But someone is making "doom and gloom" posts about GT5, blaming Sony when GT4 sold 600k in a week during better times on a bigger userbase, when not even FM3 broke into the market where 360 exclusives sell the most. This without numbers.

antonz

sphinx said:
this is not fair, last generation every single month that the gamecube sold like crap it was made public to everyone so they could laugh and point at it.

Now the PSP sells bad and they just get away with not showing the numbers and pretending it doesn´t exist?

I DEMAND PSP numbers right now.

Well since one of the big 3 opted out of the public number release which killed it for all I think we can all safely guess which one

Bizzyb

Banned
Can it be that GT5's UBER Realism is actually scaring off some would-be buyers??

Seems people nowadays want racing games that are "put your brain on hold" fun

Not "Brake Dammit-BRAAAKE" "fun".

I think Forza is the closest the masses want to "realism"

Ashes

Banned
RBH said:
Bullshit. :lol

There's been a ton of PS3 ads on TV, much more than Wii and 360.

I don't live in the USA, but I find that hard to believe. What happened to half a billion dollor marketing spend on kinect/x360 launch (or relaunch or whatever)?

Even if I do disagree with the the poster you are disagreeing with, and so agreeing with you in the first part of your post. :p

Amir0x

Banned
Bizzyb said:
Can it be that GT5's UBER Realism is actually scaring off some would-be buyers??

odd since, ya know, GT5 will outsell Forza easily. Just sayin', maybe you should just point to NFS.

H_Prestige said:
That's what happens when you spam ridiculously unfunny, uncool, and flat out embarrassing kevin butler ads over and over and offer a product that is clearly outclassed by the 360 both on a hardware and software level. Nobody would want to be associated with your shit Sony.

Wow, that was venomous.

Mrbob

Arnie said:
I would like an honest answer to this question: If Microsoft or Nintendo released a new Halo/Gears of War/Mario/Zelda, would it be on par with expectations for it to only reach 8th place after its first three days of sales? Considering that these games are usually the ones to push records and sales figures on their first day alone. Because my bet would be that they would be near the top.

I will say though that Sony's handling of the release did not help GT5's numbers in any way, shape or form. Quite frankly they fucked up.

I think the better question is if MS or Nintendo would screw up their big holiday release with a terrible manufacturing delay due to a firmware issue. Then put the release date up in the air for well over a week and then not have the advertising ready to support the new release date?

The book on the PS3 saga which will come out in 5 years is going to be interesting.

Barrett2

H_Prestige said:
So salty. I love it.

Bizzyb said:

I think it's safe to assume that GT5 is still selling to the masses, and probably one of the better (or best) selling racing games around.

FrankT

CozMick said:

Serious question.

Perhaps though it may not have all that much help from Japan and US at this rate. Who knows though maybe it will have crazy legs in all.

Lebron

I saw plenty of GT5 ads, not just on television. I really don't get that argument, but it always comes up in cases like this. People got to sleep I guess.

And who gives a shit about second place, like getting that is going to make everything better. Overall, they've done fine this gen. All the three companies have.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Bizzyb said:

We have not even gotten GT5 numbers yet. We don't even know what it sold to know that it has/hasn't scared people off.

szaromir

Banned
Amir0x said:
odd since, ya know, GT5 will outsell Forza easily. Just sayin', maybe you should just point to NFS.
I think you underestimate the fact that FM3 has been bundled to hell and back, which in GT terms counts as sales.

edit: GT5 will come on top eventually, no doubt

Somnid

GT5 is hardly a surprise. Didn't we not even have a date for it until about 3 weeks before launch? Not only that but it was a bit late into November and butting up against Black Friday of which PS3 had little going for it.

CozMick

Banned
Amir0x said:

Amir0x has spoken.

Don't wanna get all Mod(ish) or anything but the Versus thread is that way ------->, where I will join you and nod furiously

:D

Dartastic

Lunchbox said:
turn on your tv, kevin butler's babbling right this very momen on espn. and he will do so every 5/6 mins for the rest of the day
I run for around 30 minutes a day three times a week and I watch espn. Haven't seen anything. I'll keep my eye out.

Jtyettis said:
Perhaps though it may not have all that much help from Japan and US at this rate. Who knows though maybe it will have crazy legs in all.

I was under the impression it did very well in Japan, didn't it?

Bizzyb said:

As someone who bought and returned GT5 due to it's insanely bad design/UI choices and pathetic technical issues (premium/standard cars, awful textures/effects etc)... Even I feel that it's too early to call out GT5 in terms of sales numbers.

The GT games have always been a bit on the side of 'slow-burners' that reach at the very least, significant numbers. More importantly, as far as the sim racing genre goes (on consoles), GT5 is fantastic and offers just as much accessibility/assistance as Forza does... so I don't think the comparison is appropriate at all.

If you're going to question the health of GT5 (which will trump Forza 3 in sales despite any subjective quality/opinionated stance) you are questioning the health of the sim racing genre on consoles as a whole - as GT5 will be the best selling sim racer this generation without a doubt.

Kusagari

I see the Kevin Butler ads far more than 360/Kinect or Wii ads. Might just be the channels I watch though. I imagine MS is going after a more family oriented audience with Kinect ads and might be advertising on ABC or something.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Hopefully history will give us some idea of what #10 sold (Halo Reach).

2006 - #10 Pokemon 206k
2007 - #10 AC (PS3) 377k (Halo 3 #9 with 387k)
2008 - #10 Wii Music 297k (#9 had almost 100k more)
2009 - #10 Mario Kart 315k

Halo Reach has been tracking below Halo 3 so far, so that probably gives us some idea of the minimum.

gerg

Technosteve said:
so is it safe to estimate that they sold at least 2.5 million kinects based on kinetic adventures sales?

No.

Microsoft has released PR stating that they've sold 2.5 million Kinect units worldwide.

Are these percentage drops/gains correct?

Nintendo DS: 1.5 Million (-11.8%)
Xbox 360: 1.37 Million (+68%)
Wii: 1.27 Million (+0.8%)
PS3: 530k (-25%)

Didn't last November cover only 4 weeks of sales as opposed to this November's 5 weeks of sales?

Dartastic

Technosteve said:
so is it safe to estimate that they sold at least 2.5 million kinects based on kinetic adventures sales?
Yes, at least via stand alone. Not sure if they include bundled software.

gogogow

Lunchbox said:
turn on your tv, kevin butler's on right this very moment on espn. and he will do so every 5/6 mins for the rest of the day
Did they have those ads well before the releasedate of GT5? I'm not in the US, so I don't know.

Top Bottom