• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because NPD does not 100% track the whole nation and extrapolates the rest, there is actually a very fair chance that the PS4 could be in front for the month due to a margin of error, though it can go the other way too of course. Either way, there is not a clear winner this month.

But this thread isn't about reality. It's about what NPD reports. Always has been. Can't change it now just to fit some narrative.

And they sold consoles keeping the brand healthy and they are in good financial shape?
If we're talking victories we're talking console warzzzz

MS pulled all the stops to overtake the PS4 and barely got it. Now comes the fall as the prices go up.

Miles X

I'm not buying the CBOAT bait.

There is only 1 number for the difference, so a reliable source wouldn't be a range. It's not like only 1 person knows the number, so you can't say it is masking a source or some shit.

Shows up to downplay any positive xbox news. Not a surprise.

Need more reliable evidence.

Dunno why those in the know can't just say true or false.

Quotient

What you would call it is a large expansion of userbase, adding new consumers to the next gen pool, and giving devs further reason to support these consoles and develop high quality software for both Xbox and Playstation.

But no maybe instead we should all yell about meltdowns and MS failing. That's doing things right now?

They were only able to do that by slashing $70 off the price, throwing in 2 games and many other incentives. Do you think MS can keep doing this all year round?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Nintendo mentioned how absolutely everything did overall (including Amiibos) except for 3DS hardware, so I'm guessing that one went down.

Yea, I'm borderline ashamed for doubting Sony's pricing strategy for the holidays.

PS4 is truly a beast :/

Well, you were definitely not alone, just alone in admitting you were wrong ! I thought there would be more coming forward, if this difference is true!

vesvci

Banned
I don't know what you're talking about, it absolutely makes sense.

Of course selling as many consoles as you can is the name of the game, but chances are Microsoft would want to sell more than Sony, right?

All these price cuts, bundled games, and retailer discounts, and they only managed to win by ~10k. That's a hollow victory if I ever saw one, considering they didn't do to well the other 8-10 months of the year (major releases excluded).

Agreed. It does make perfect sense.

NHale

Why is everyone assuming CBOAT number is believable (I don't btw)? First he didn't say that was the difference between XB1 and PS4.

Maybe it's Vita sales in November that way he doesn't get banned because he didn't lie and trolls everyone in this thread (it would be hilarious just to see the reactions).

But if it's true I wouldn't want to be Phil Spencer and Satya Nadella in the next investors meeting. "So we cut the price and eat the cost, offered a compelling exclusive lineups, bundled 3 free games while Sony kept their price and offered GTA V and we only got a 7k win in our most relevant market worldwide?"

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Heh i didn't see it when i made my post, although i would be a bit more sure with a more official source even though CBOAT is obviously trusted on here...

If its real though, that means Sony's most likely going to win December, January, Febuary, March and basically all of next year, as you cant expect MS to try and stay this competitive for even a few months let alone a majority of the year..No wonder why MS isn't shouting to the rooftops.

Even so...the strangest news to me is that Master Chief collection is so damn low. I thought there was huge hype about that game from people who owned XB1 considering the value proposition, but it seems to have barely even cracked the top 10 out of all the games coming out that month. I guess you really cant trust remasters after all. Was it the bad word of mouth that killed sales?

Minions

I'm just playing with the numbers in my head. 900k * $50 loss (it is likely more, but at a bare minimum it is the difference between the price of PS4 and Xbox One that was given up) = $45,000,000.

$45 million dollars to sell 10k more than the PS4? How is this a good idea?

Lolchartzzz is just as lolsome as ever as well.

They had XB1 at 1.44m and PS4 at 1.06m, a difference of 380k vs the real difference of 10k.

Joke site. I hope people see how much of a joke they are, not to be used even for a "guide line" or estimate.

Zyae

Consider:

A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it is tantamount to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit (another term for this would be "hollow victory").¹

The "devastating cost" - we'll call it the strategic cost (less profit for larger margins) - is the fact Microsoft had to deeply, profoundly cut its prices on the Xbox One on market. Now they significantly diminished the value of the platform in consumer's eyes (i.e. "now we know if Microsofts gets a little desperate they will dramatically cut the price, so why buy when the price goes back up to $399?"), and the result was they barely scratched out a win over PS4. So, technically a victory, but with some serious cost.

And did this news negate the sense of achievement? yes. That's all anyone in this topic is talking about now, and the implications of it are clear: Microsoft can barely win even when they cut the price to insane levels. That's a serious problem for Microsoft, indisputably.

This is as fascinating a result as could have possibly happened. I'm legit shook.

It's crazy. I think there's legitimately no way for them to win December NPD now.

What devastating costs? Are you a MS stock holder? Do you know their detailed financial plan?

It comes down to this, the brand is healthy and you guys are talking out of your ass.

Ridley327

Oh god, those poor WiiU numbers.

I don't think Smash is as big a draw for mainstream audiences as Mario Kart is. It's not an excuse for the Wii U's sales (and far from the only problem), but I feel like Smash is more of a "you already have the system to play it" kind of game. I'm not even sure why, since Melee was a genuine system seller and sold incredibly well deep into the Gamecube's lifespan.

Usobuko

Banned
So Nintendo mentioned how absolutely everything did overall (including Amiibos) except for 3DS hardware, so I'm guessing that one went down.

Yeah, not to mention the boost in 3ds software is likely because X and Y was released in Oct last year.

What devastating costs? Are you a MS stock holder? Do you know their detailed financial plane?

It comes down to this, the brand is healthy and you guys are talking out of your ass.

Alternatively, in the real world, you can't accept that a word applies perfectly to this situation.

7-10k dif

23cFh.gif

RowdyReverb

Consider:

A Pyrrhic victory is a victory with such a devastating cost that it is tantamount to defeat. Someone who wins a Pyrrhic victory has been victorious in some way; however, the heavy toll negates any sense of achievement or profit (another term for this would be "hollow victory").¹

The "devastating cost" - we'll call it the strategic cost (less profit for larger margins) - is the fact Microsoft had to deeply, profoundly cut its prices on the Xbox One on market. Now they significantly diminished the value of the platform in consumer's eyes (i.e. "now we know if Microsofts gets a little desperate they will dramatically cut the price, so why buy when the price goes back up to $399?"), and the result was they barely scratched out a win over PS4. So, technically a victory, but with some serious cost.

And did this news negate the sense of achievement? yes. That's all anyone in this topic is talking about now, and the implications of it are clear: Microsoft can barely win even when they cut the price to insane levels. That's a serious problem for Microsoft, indisputably.

It depends on how you define victory. Perhaps MS reached or exceeded their internal goal with the price cut and sales, making the "devastating cost" worthwhile. It's not about outselling your competitor, it's about making money.

Yeah i think 3DS is on the tail end already..

Makes me wonder what NOA is thinking about the "new" 3DS. I wonder if it makes sense to do such a small refresh at all for the US..

The next nintendo handheld must be well into development for a 2016 reveal, I hope.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lolchartzzz is just as lolsome as ever as well.

They had XB1 at 1.44m and PS4 at 1.06m, a difference of 380k vs the real difference of 10k.

Joke site. I hope people see how much of a joke they are, not to be used even for a "guide line" or estimate.

Unfortunately, the people who use them either don't care or aren't savvy enough to realize how full of shit they are, especially when they go back and revise things by stealing information from NPD.

Flarin

I'm going to venture a guess that if both Pokemon games were counted as one sku, as they should have been, that Dragon Age would be #10. No actual knowledge but I feel like it can't be too far off the charted list.

Josman

Oh wow, MS's position is really bad, they achieved market penetration but they bled money to have a tie with the PS4.

Top Bottom