• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2007

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Of All Trades said:
Except PGR4 wasn't a "major marketing exclusive". It's not even one of the games shown in the two new "Jump In" commercials. For whatever reason (I suspect Forza success), MS decided to drop PGR4.
I don't really care why PGR4 sold the way it did. You can claim that it was overshadowed by Halo 3 and Forza 2, but you can't make that claim and then say that Mass Effect can't suffer from similar circumstances.

Belgorim

JJConrad said:
I don't really care why PGR4 sold the way it did. You can claim that it was overshadowed by Halo 3 and Forza 2, but you can't make that claim and then say that Mass Effect can't suffer from similar circumstances.
yeah... so lets all pray for ME :)

JJConrad said:

Except for the fact that ME is launching a full 2 months after halo, and has no competition in its genre. Little different situation.

Kildace

Subarushian said:
Except for the fact that ME is launching a full 2 months after halo, and has no competition in its genre. Little different situation.

And the 360 isn't bundled with a RPG / Shooter hybrid.

Luckyman

Banned
gcfan2k5 said:
Numerous articles of developers stating 1million to break even isnt enough? How about a forbes article stating that Epic was only making $1 per title on Gears? Gears cost $10mln to develop, if they are only making $1 per unit profit (as of december 19th, which means sales of what? 2 million worldwide at that point?)

You have lost it. Totally. :lol

C4Lukins

moku said:
Oh I will bite on that one. Watcha, watcha, wanna bet?

You will probably be pretty safe on that bet. The Wii and 360 are going to sell a ton in November, but most Wii owners should be picking up Super Mario, while new 360 owners are going to be divided by a half dozen games. I bet SMG sells well over a million, COD 4 around a million, and Mass Effect in the 500K range. COD4 may suprise people though. I think the leaderboard had something like 800K worldwide already, and a ton of people are not connected to Live, and we still have Black Friday.

C4Lukins

Xeke said:
I really, really don't buy this whole Forza 2 argument for those sales.

I think it is a combination of that, and just a shit ton of other bigger titles coming out at the same time. I do not think people are suddenly just not interested in the series, it was just horrible timing.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Of All Trades said:
That's because of the lackluster support. Porting PS2/PSP games costs little. Games like SMG cost a lot. The "wii dev is cheaper and saving the industry" only matters if you're interested in playing games that are actually significantly cheaper to develop, aka last-gen ports and My Ponyz shovelware.

Games that require effort to make will require $$$ to make.
Red Steel cost 11 Million to develop and saw a great return. Developers are putting MORE money into Wii development in 08 not less. EA now has 500 developers concentrating on Wii development because they see a potential goldmine just like all the other big publishers. All lead consoles see tons of shovelware it comes with the territory so I don't expect Wii to be any different but like all lead consoles we will see some high calibur games start to move over to Wii also. If franchise A can make a publisher 10 million on PS3/360 then it could potentially make double that on Wii if the game is good enough. I think next year we will a lot more quality games from publishers on Wii.

GhaleonEB

JJConrad said:
I don't fully agree with you. Competing similar games have never killed a game like this, especially when PGR had been the more popular series. The point isn't really about why PGR4 sold the way it did... its about the claim that 'major marketing exclusives don't bomb on the 360' when they can and have.
PGR4 is a game where the reasons for it's sales utterly collapsing this month are very clear: Microsoft's other big racer from this year is bundled with the system. Existing racing fans just got Forza a few months ago, and now their plate is stacked with other games. There's a discussion to be had about other titles on the 360 not doing well, but PGR4 is a pretty cut and dried example, IMO.

Basically, MS sent it to die. :p

I don't think it would have been a smash hit even without Forza, but it took a game that would have done modestly well and tanked it.

As for ME, it's one of Microsoft's two major holiday titles and it's in a very different genre. If it bombs, it will be pretty shocking.

Dai Kaiju

Ok, here's why ME isn't going to do well. Now when I say that, I don't mean it's going to do 34,000 or whatever PGR did...but I don't think Microsoft is going to come close to breaking even with it. Say you're a kid with a 360 or you're asking for one this christmas. What games are you going to want with it? Halo 3, CoD 4, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band, Assassins Creed, and Mass Effect. The average parent is going to make the kid choose the 2 or 3 that he wants most and I just don't see Mass Effect making the cut.

It doesn't matter that there's no competition in that genre. It's got competition from every freakin genre known to man. Hell, i've bought every single high profile 360 release up until a week ago. I've spent 420 fucking dollars on videogames in the last two months and I just plain can't afford it anymore. I'm sure there are a lot of other hardcore gamers in the same situation. Mass Effect just has way too many things going against it, and like many other games this fall, is being sent to die.

Brakara

C4Lukins said:
You will probably be pretty safe on that bet. The Wii and 360 are going to sell a ton in November, but most Wii owners should be picking up Super Mario, while new 360 owners are going to be divided by a half dozen games. I bet SMG sells well over a million, COD 4 around a million, and Mass Effect in the 500K range. COD4 may suprise people though. I think the leaderboard had something like 800K worldwide already, and a ton of people are not connected to Live, and we still have Black Friday.

Yeah, CoD4 is closing in on 900k on the leaderboards now. I'm not sure how to extrapolate/estimate that to NPD numbers, since those 900k are worldwide and some copies probably have multiple gamertags. And what's the attach rate of XBL Gold? But it will certainly pass 1 million in the US for November. Maybe even 1.5 million (because of Black Friday), but that's maybe stretching it. And even though SMG will most likely outsell it, it's still huge for a 360 shooter in the year of Halo.

People thought that BioShock would be a million guaranteed on the 360, although I think with this NPD we are around 800k? So I think it might be somewhat presumptious to start throwing around big seven figure numbers at the moment.

Mass Effect is the last 'big' release for the 360 before the Xmas rush starts to kick in, so it has the chance to surf the hype/sales wave into December, but I'm not sure if its the sort of game that will be winging its way into little Jonny's Christmas bundle, it doesn't have that mass-market appeal that Gears of War provided last year. Perhaps, like BioShock before it, it might be a bit more driven by its narrative rather than action to make an impact past the core demographic.

Dai Kaiju said:
Say you're a kid with a 360 or you're asking for one this christmas...
I was under the impression that a fairly large percentage of the 360 owners were in the 18 - 30 age range. I could be wrong though as I don't have the figures to hand.

Mass Effect should easily clear a million worldwide by end of year. I think it'll be closer to two million, though. The game's been hyped and talked about more than any other MS release outside of Halo 3 and will, without a doubt, see a big push all through the rest of the year. I'd be shocked if it did fall flat.

DuckRacer

Dai Kaiju said:
Ok, here's why ME isn't going to do well. Now when I say that, I don't mean it's going to do 34,000 or whatever PGR did...but I don't think Microsoft is going to come close to breaking even with it. Say you're a kid with a 360 or you're asking for one this christmas. What games are you going to want with it? Halo 3, CoD 4, Guitar Hero 3, Rock Band, Assassins Creed, and Mass Effect. The average parent is going to make the kid choose the 2 or 3 that he wants most and I just don't see Mass Effect making the cut.

It doesn't matter that there's no competition in that genre. It's got competition from every freakin genre known to man. Hell, i've bought every single high profile 360 release up until a week ago. I've spent 420 fucking dollars on videogames in the last two months and I just plain can't afford it anymore. I'm sure there are a lot of other hardcore gamers in the same situation. Mass Effect just has way too many things going against it, and like many other games this fall, is being sent to die.
When the November NPD comes out, what do you think ME will sell, and how much do you think it should've sold?
sionyboy said:
People thought that BioShock would be a million guaranteed on the 360, although I think with this NPD we are around 800k? So I think it might be somewhat presumptious to start throwing around big seven figure numbers at the moment.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153596

Actually, a lot of people thought BioShock would bomb.

Do we have any sort of early barometer for SMG's sales? Like a Best Buy or Walmart notice on exceedingly high sales or low stock? Due to MP3's slow sales and the fact people just recently bought Guitar Hero III, I could see SMG doing below expectations in November.

Brakara

sionyboy said:

Not sure who was crazy enough to predict Biochosck would sell a million in its first month, especially since it didn't have online leaderboards. ;) Or to put it another way, you think CoD4 will do less than a million?

As for Mass Effect, isn't this the first AAA Western RPG game since Oblivion? I think the market is due for another one, so 4-500k shouldn't be unthinkable.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153596

Actually, a lot of people thought BioShock would bomb.

True, although that thread was several months before release. I don't think the hype and expectations kicked into gear until the reviews trickled in and the demo hit live, then a lot of people changed their opinion. We're now two days away from a NA release, 5 for Europe, and I'm just not seeing the sort of anticipation for ME that other games have drummed up. Perhaps its because its coming at the end of a VERY busy month, BioShock had the advantage of being preceded by .... The Darkness. ME has to compete on the shelves with H3, HL2, CoD4 and Assassin's Creed.

Its a shame there hasn't been some sort of demo on Live for Mass Effect, when you look at what it did for BioShock or Crackdown it is a much better tool than any review will get you.

That being said, I cannot wait for Mass Effect, I'm looking forward to a brilliant, and lengthy, story driven game.

Not sure who was crazy enough to predict Biochosck would sell a million in its first month, especially since it didn't have online leaderboards. ;) Or to put it another way, you think CoD4 will do less than a million?

Not for first month sales, that would have been a bit mental, but rather 1 million over the course of 2007.

kottila

GenericPseudonym said:
Do we have any sort of early barometer for SMG's sales? Like a Best Buy or Walmart notice on exceedingly high sales or low stock? Due to MP3's slow sales and the fact people just recently bought Guitar Hero III, I could see SMG doing below expectations in November.

AFAIK NoA said that the game is doing well and we might see some numbers on monday

Brakara

sionyboy said:
Not for first month sales, that would have been a bit mental, but rather 1 million over the course of 2007.

Ah, but that wouldn't have been such a bad prediction even though it will miss by, what, 100-150k?

Grecco

GenericPseudonym said:

Because MP3=SMG right?

ksamedi

GenericPseudonym said:
No but MP3 does show that there is a precedent for an anticipated Wii release to underperform.

Its doing better than MP2 but I don't think it will reach MP1 numbers. Still though, it doesn't show anything besides the popularity of the Prime series.

GhaleonEB

Dai Kaiju said:
The holiday season is crowded. But your scenario limits the conversation to the "kid at Christmas" scenario. The 360 userbase is large enough now that even with a pretty stacked plate many games can do well at once, especially over the holidays. And we should quantify what "doing well" constitutes as well. I can see ME doing 500k in November, and then again in December. That's not the kind of domination that precludes many other games from selling.

What is your threshold for not doing well?

ksamedi said:
Its doing better than MP2 but I don't think it will reach MP1 numbers. Still though, it doesn't show anything besides the popularity of the Prime series.
No, it (and to a lesser extent, Z&W's bombing) shows us that even if an expensive, 1st party, franchise, AAA (w/ reviews to back it up) game is released during a software drought during a non-off season, it can still get obliterated in sales by wii play. The only Wii games that may have sold over 50k in October were casual/party games.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Of All Trades said:
No, it (and to a lesser extent, Z&W's bombing) shows us that even if an expensive, 1st party, franchise, AAA (w/ reviews to back it up) game is released during a software drought during a non-off season, it can still get obliterated in sales by wii play. The only Wii games that may have sold over 50k in October were casual/party games.
Or it could be the fact that the Metroid Franchise was never a huge seller in the first place, and Zack and Wiki is a new IP with no advertising and barely any stock to be found.

GenericPseudonym said:
I don't think GH3 will have too much of an effect on Galaxy's sales. Most people with an interest in both games will probably favor buying Galaxy, or just buy both.

Grecco

GenericPseudonym said:
No but MP3 does show that there is a precedent for an anticipated Wii release to underperform.

Because Metroid Prime is a huge selling franchise. SM Sunshine around 5million Metroid Prime 1 and 2 dont even get to 2 million

Matt

Of All Trades said:
That's a lot of assumptions to draw from very little data.

Metroid has never been a blockbuster series, and the game has actually preformed better then I expected so far.

As for Zack and Wiki, it's a point and click adventure, what did you think it was going to sell?

xbhaskarx

Dai Kaiju said:
It's going to bomb. On the flipside, I think Mass Effect will bomb too. Publishers are being so fucking dumb this year. "Oh my! We have to get this game out in time for the holidays!". People with 360s and PS3s (for the most part) aren't little kids who ask Santa to bring them videogames for Christmas. They're adults who buy them for themselves, no matter what time of year it is.
They can't buy them all though. New IPs don't stand a chance against monster franchises. Hell, even big franchises don't. Look at Rachet and especially PGR4.
Why the hell would you release games like Strangehold, Timeshift, and Blacksite:Area 51 around the same time as freakin Halo 3, Orange Box, Call of Duty 4, and Guitar Hero 3? All of those new IPs could have done just fine if the publishers delayed them, used the time to make them GREAT instead of average, and released them during a game drought.

Contrary to my points, I could easily see little kids asking for rockband for christmas.

Your overall point (as it applies to games like Stranglehold, Timeshift and Blacksite) is right, but you're wrong about Mass Effect. Those 360 owning adults want Mass Effect, and they've been planning on buying it for six months to a year.

Agent Icebeezy said:
People thought Dead Rising was going to bomb. It didn't.
People thought Crackdown was going to bomb. It didn't.
People thought Bioshock was going to bomb. It didn't.
Mass Effect has success written all over it.

Not only that, Mass Effect will actually do better than all three of those games.

C4Lukins

Brakara said:
Yeah, CoD4 is closing in on 900k on the leaderboards now. I'm not sure how to extrapolate/estimate that to NPD numbers, since those 900k are worldwide and some copies probably have multiple gamertags. And what's the attach rate of XBL Gold? But it will certainly pass 1 million in the US for November. Maybe even 1.5 million (because of Black Friday), but that's maybe stretching it. And even though SMG will most likely outsell it, it's still huge for a 360 shooter in the year of Halo.

The early adoption rate for XBL in general was 60% with the 360 as I recall. That includes silver, but silver accounts should also show up on the singleplayer leaderboards. My guess is that the adoption rate has probably slightly decreased as more casuals jump on board.

xbhaskarx

:lol @ the last few pages of gcfan2k5.
That's the worst kind of BS, it's provides no laughs (unlike Loudninja) and requires extensive research to disprove.

xbhaskarx

Dai Kaiju said:
People with 360s and PS3s (for the most part) aren't little kids who ask Santa to bring them videogames for Christmas. They're adults who buy them for themselves, no matter what time of year it is.

Dai Kaiju said:
Ok, here's why ME isn't going to do well.... Say you're a kid with a 360 or you're asking for one this christmas.... The average parent is going to make the kid choose the 2 or 3 that he wants most and I just don't see Mass Effect making the cut.

?

GenericPseudonym said:

Come on, that's a horrible comparison. MP3 was a serious title with little advertising or buzz, one which didn't appeal to the Wii userbase. Mario is going to appeal to all the little and grown kids who want to play, well, Mario. If people are expecting 1mil sales in a month, they'll probably be disappointed, but it'll still wind up being the first or second best selling game of the holiday season

I hereby deem the Wii the "Pet Rock" of the new generation! The kind of thing people buy, then years later, look at it when cleaning out their closets going "Man...what was I thinking?"

The PS3? Man...what are you guys doing to your systems? I mean...c'mon....are all you guys doing nothing but TALKING about buying games for the system, or are you actually buying them? Ratchet & Clank doing this poorly.....man...let's hope sales pick up for November and December, because let's be brutally honest here: If Uncharted and R&C fail, because you guys didn't support them, then you deserve to have all the AAA games going to other systems than your own.

The 360? Price drop MS. Pronto. At this rate, Xmas 2007 will have Nintendo ahead of you by millions of units as of January 1st 2008 and it'll only get worse from there. Stem the flow of blood. Get aggressive.

Meier

GenericPseudonym said:

If you could see that.. then there's a problem with your vision. I feel 100% confident in saying SMG will outsell Guitar Hero 3's combined first month sales. In fact, I'm expecting north of 2 million units sold -- easily.

Xeke

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
I hereby deem the Wii the "Pet Rock" of the new generation! The kind of thing people buy, then years later, look at it when cleaning out their closets going "Man...what was I thinking?"

And then they see Mario Galaxy and smile and remember.

donny2112

I'm only around page 15 in reading this thread, but I see PGR4 is still being discussed. I don't know if it has been brought up in the last 20 pages or so, but PGR4 launched (Oct 2) in September's NPD reporting period (Sept 2 - Oct 6). It's first week was in that report, so what we are seeing is its second month of sales. Obviously it didn't crack the top ten in September, either, but its total U.S. sales are almost assuredly a good bit higher than the 38.3K shown in the first post.

Just FYI. :)

Pachael

donny2112 said:
I'm only around page 15 in reading this thread, but I see PGR4 is still being discussed. I don't know if it has been brought up in the last 20 pages or so, but PGR4 launched (Oct 2) in September's NPD reporting period (Sept 2 - Oct 6). It's first week was in that report, so what we are seeing is its second month of sales. Obviously it didn't crack the top ten in September, either, but its total U.S. sales are almost assuredly a good bit higher than the 38.3K shown in the first post.

Just FYI. :)

10th on that list was Heavenly Sword at 139K, so the theoretical max for PGR4 is 138K + 38.3K, which is still quite underwhelming (176K) but not as terrible as this month's figures are.

909er

JJConrad said:

Wow. You do realize that that exact same argument could be made for SMG right? How MP3 could be a barometer or how it will perform. And that argument would be just as full of shit as this one.

ME won't bomb. It might not do the crazy sales some are expecting it to (I think I read 3 million in US by 2008), but it is one of the premier titles that MS has been hyping since the beginning of the 360, and you can bet that alot of 360 owners are interested. Just like SMG.

Windu said:
Or it could be the fact that the Metroid Franchise was never a huge seller in the first place, and Zack and Wiki is a new IP with no advertising and barely any stock to be found.
Or it could be that the majority of Wii owners are uninterested in quality non-party games (And please, don't pull the "Red Steel/RRR" argument, it's really weak) unless that game also contains either the word Mario or Zelda.

While I agree that neither of those two (or BWii bombing or Manhunt 2 bombing) are necessarily indicators of failure due to the limited data, they are definately not indicators of success to 3rd parties making resource allocation decisions.

I don't know if there will be an exact correlation, but COD4's launch week for 360 in the UK was bigger than Gears of War.

If COD was equally as successful here, it would be a little over a million copies sold in November.

Top Bottom