• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

duessano

You're missing the point. My question is, "why?"

Why are these consoles selling so much better than PS3 and 360?

More advertising, more gamers of age who can afford to buy these consoles? More information on media capabilities like they can now watch Netflix, Hulu and play games? More money spent on ad budgets?

Cheech

No Sunset, No Bayonetta 2, No Driveclub.

The first two are niche, and word has been out on Driveclub since before launch.

That said, I went to Target today to try to score Sunset as part of their B2G1 promotion, and they were out of stock. Oh well.

But really, I get a serious Jet Set vibe from the game. Which makes me personally excited to play, but it's never going to blow the doors off saleswise.

Bayo 2 is a great game on a dead console. No shock there. Hopefully Nintendo gets their shit together and relaunches next year.

Wow, good for Evil Within! wasn't expecting that at all.

And Skylanders has to be disappointing for Activision. Series needs a refresh before it dies completely.

Gator86

Congrats to Evil Within and Borderlands. I thought both might be in trouble but they did pretty well. Maybe we'll get an Evil Within sequel. I thought the first one was promising but average overall. Still waiting for that next-gen Borderlands port.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Because they are better that the PS3 and 360 in every way. I don't want to have to list them for you. 8 years since the last console launch is also a huge factor.

QaaQer

Tremendous overperform for The Evil Within.

I feel ZeniMax has really gotten very good at launching hard to market games, and often gets them way above expectations.

I like their focus on making single player stuff. I thiink that is part of their success. That and a reasonable ambition and budget for their games.

Sunset Overdrive was only on the market for three days in October. With that being said, it still didn't chart?!

You only need one day to make a splash. But let's just fast forward one month for you. This is you, 4 weeks from now.

Question: forza horizon was released sept 30, and only had 5 days of tracking on the September NPD right? I thought id see if in the chart this month.

Kusagari

I love Sunset but did people really expect it to light the charts on fire?

The fact it made the top 10 individual SKU is more than I expected honestly.

GhaleonEB

Lots of surprises in there. The Evil Within over performing, Destiny dropping very fast - and the platform mix changed up entirely - Sunset Overdrive with the soft start. Unexpected month.

duessano

Wow, good for Evil Within! wasn't expecting that at all.

And Skylanders has to be disappointing for Activision. Series needs a refresh before it dies completely.

The new Skylanders is such a ripoff with having to buy traps as well, I bet parents were turned off. I know I was.

Silky

Banned
Wasn't Sunset Overdrive on the market for 3 days?

Not surprised it didn't make it on, anyway.

But holy shit at TEW. dat ZeniMax marketing.

Stare-Bear

Banned
As much as I loved SO, I'm not sure I would need it to be a series that got regular sequels, but theres definitely more they can do. The online multiplayer is a bit barebones, in my opinion, theres a lot they could do (including online co-op) in a sequel.

Its difficult to know how the game did without a budget and actual numbers from any chart, but I doubt MS or Insomniac thought it would sell like all these cross-gen games did, I suspect it did well and I think/hope it has.

Phil Spencer already commented on sales on Major Nelsons podcast a week or two ago and was happy, I don't see any bomba here personally.

Don't think Phil is going to be like; Well, SO sold like crap to be honest. We might start making Kinect games again...

Not worried about sunset, given the bundle was pretty much sold out all over US going by reports.
Pretty much. It is the same thing as Destiny for PS4 plus NPD does not count digital. I bet SO sold well. I bet Xbox One will have low retail software sales for most of their games. November will be more n interesting month.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
36n2d3V.gif

Doesn't seem to bode well.
From a SW standpoint WW, having a 3rd party title exclusive to them will most likely cannibalize sales. I would almost buy any IG game but no XB for me yet.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I found these interesting.

Funny how the 360 owners are jumping on Destiny, really shows how the core FPS market was on that system.

Also, the 3DS version of Skylanders did really poorly. I didn't expect to see the Wii U version so high, and I guess looking at the wii sales, we can almost deduce that it's the only thing left selling on wii. The 360 probably moved over half the units for this game.

See the mobile version dead last is rather interesting for a bevy of reasons.

ChaosXVI

Damn...I knew Bayonetta 2 had no chance to make the top 10, but I still had hope a miracle could happen...

Rather surprised to see Alien not making it in, especially with how early in the month it launched. Kind of unfortunate that Colonial Marines pretty much tainted that brand for a good while, combined with it being a survival horror game coming out around the same time as one with a considerable amount of hype and a big name behind it.

Oh well.

jakncoke

Banned

I think it has to do with how long the gen lasted. So many gamers were ready to move on to next gen or current gen 2 years ago but had to wait it out till the new consoles came out.

Top Bottom