• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

ascii42

Agreed. They're a bit useless, all things considered. About as reliable as Chartz. :p
Well, Amazon charts are at least based on reality.

Individually, yeah, they aren't all that useful, but it would be interesting to see a graph showing hourly rankings over the course of a month. Probably wouldn't be that difficult to write out something that would do that, but I'm too lazy.

CLEEK

Sighs...
If you need more, here is a list of some exclusive shooters either out, or coming X1

Halo MCC
Gears
Crackdown
Titanfall
SSO
Halo 5

On PS4 you have

Killzone SF
The Order
....you might could add Uncharted/TLOU, but they are technically more action/adventure orientated than a strait up 1st or 3rd person shooter.

I'm really not trying to turn this into a list war, just making sure my point is clear. I only listed 2 in the other post as examples, not as a complete list of currently announced games.
My point was just that xbox has always had more shooters than playstation, and therefore has a bigger draw to players in the US. I think this will improve sales in the longrun (US), but is also a big reason why Xbox struggles in Europe as they aren't really a shooter orientated audience.

Your point isn't being made well, as you're selectively ignoring PS4 games.

If you're including Crackdown and Gears, you should include UC4. Its PvP was a pure shooter. You're also missing Warframe, EDF 4.1 and Blacklight: Retribution.

Difference countries have different tastes in games, sure. But fact that the Xbox had the biggest shooter franchises with Halo and Gear wasn't the reason it struggled in the EU. The Xbox has always been US-centric in everything it does, which has a natural affinity with the UK. Not just in its games. So much effort was put into the Xbox 360 being a media/streaming/app device, but so few of these additional services were made available in the EU. Of the ~100 non-gaming apps, only 12 are "Available In All Countries", and the vast majority are America only. The Xbox has never targeting the EU (or Asia) successfully, just the US/UK and hoped the rest of the World would have the same tastes. Classing most of Europe as Tier 2 countries for the Xbox One is case in point.

The PS family has always had a more worldwide audience, with a vast range of 1st party genres. The lack of laser focus towards the US/UK audience saw the 360 dominate over the PS3 in those markets, but paid off worldwide. The PS4 still lacks Halo and Gears, but the world has moved on and 3rd party shooters dominate (CoD, BF, Destiny) and Titanfall will come to PS4 soon.

Your point isn't being made well, as you're selectively ignoring PS4 games.

If you're including Crackdown and Gears, you should include UC4. Its PvP was a pure shooter. You're also missing Warframe, EDF 4.1 and Blacklight: Retribution.

Difference countries have different tastes in games, sure. But fact that the Xbox had the biggest shooter franchises with Halo and Gear wasn't the reason it struggled in the EU. The Xbox has always been US-centric in everything it does, which has a natural affinity with the UK. Not just in its games. So much effort was put into the Xbox 360 being a media/streaming/app device, but so few of these additional services were made available in the EU. Of the ~100 non-gaming apps, only 12 are "Available In All Countries", and the vast majority are America only. The Xbox has never targeting the EU (or Asia) successfully, just the US/UK and hoped the rest of the World would have the same tastes. Classing most of Europe as Tier 2 countries for the Xbox One is case in point.

The PS family has always had a more worldwide audience, with a vast range of 1st party genres. The lack of laser focus towards the US/UK audience saw the 360 dominate over the PS3 in those markets, but paid off worldwide. The PS4 still lacks Halo and Gears, but the world has moved on and 3rd party shooters dominate (CoD, BF, Destiny) and Titanfall will come to PS4 soon.
A couple things.

In my post I specifically mentioned uncharted (and threw in TLOU).
Warframe is on X1 too, and isn't blacklight retribution an Indy game?
Lastly, Titanfall isn't comming to PS4.
Titanfall 2 might, but not the first, and even then, Titanfall 2 is still a ways off.

I agree with you about Europe though. MS just doesnt treat them like first class customers.

Went into best buy today and the are set up for black friday!

2XvpwLn.jpg
Those are all gta bundles. In the ballpark of 250, maybe a few more.

They also had a pallat and a half of destiny ps4 and half a pallet of regular ps4. They only had a pallat of kinect acu bones and half a pallat of kinectless acu bones. No huge stash in the Xbox section like the ps4 bundles. So unless they have yet to put more out on the floor there are about 400+ ps4 and maybe 100 bones... November npd is going to be really interesting.

They also had the vita primed for black friday...
07AFr9W.jpg

Boke1879

Went into best buy today and the are set up for black friday!

2XvpwLn.jpg
Those are all gta bundles. In the ballpark of 250, maybe a few more.

They also had a pallat and a half of destiny ps4 and half a pallet of regular ps4. They only had a pallat of kinect acu bones and half a pallat of kinectless acu bones. No huge stash in the Xbox section like the ps4 bundles. So unless they have yet to put more out on the floor there are about 400+ ps4 and maybe 100 bones... November npd is going to be really interesting.

They also had the vita primed for black friday...
07AFr9W.jpg

I know it's anecdotal but I really do feel Sony is prepared for Black Friday and the weekend following it. They know that day and weekend is the best time to have as many consoles as possible out there.

I know it's anecdotal but I really do feel Sony is prepared for Black Friday and the weekend following it. They know that day and weekend is the best time to have as many consoles as possible out there.

Wow that's a big number of PS4's. It certainly looks like they are preparing a lot of stock for this. Going to be interesting.

Do we think there is a big appetite for GTAV and a PS4 for $399 in the USA - especially now the game has released? I guess if they have had a big batch in for Destiny they are going to sell that at the same price..as that was more costly.

I really don't know what to think about it, not sure how BF is going to go.

/me-sad at the Vita collection :(

Boke1879

Wow that's a big number of PS4's. It certainly looks like they are preparing a lot of stock for this. Going to be interesting.

Do we think there is a big appetite for GTAV and a PS4 for $399 in the USA - especially now the game has released? I guess if they have had a big batch in for Destiny they are going to sell that at the same price..as that was more costly.

I really don't know what to think about it, not sure how BF is going to go.

/me-sad at the Vita collection :(

I think there is still a thirst for GTA right now. THere will no doubt be people looking to buy a current gen console. Getting GTAV and TLOU for free with it is a pretty damn good deal. Along with other game deals you could make out with GTAV+TLOU PS4 bundle and two more games for around $500

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just got shipment info for GTA 5 PS4 bundle in the US.

They are low. Extremely limited.

I suppose this is just at Gamestop, seeing how a photo showing a big amount of PS4 + GTAV bundles ready to be unleashed in a Best Buy has been posted right in this page.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Maybe Abdiel could enlighten us on what's going on.

Quick, someone lights the official Abdiel's signal.

Guevara

Just got shipment info for GTA 5 PS4 bundle in the US.

They are low. Extremely limited.

If I were Sony, I'd be shipping black friday bundles to generalist stores like Best Buy/Target/Walmart/etc.

Not specialty stores like GameStop. Do people even go to GameStop on Black Friday?

If I were Sony, I'd be shipping black friday bundles to generalist stores like Best Buy/Target/Walmart/etc.

Not specialty stores like GameStop. Do people even go to GameStop on Black Friday?

GameStop is the number 1 retailer of all hardware in the US by NPD. So yes.

Mooreberg

GameStop has had the worst Black Friday deals for several years running. More bundles going to Walmart / Best Buy / Target would make sense. People will be crawling all over those stores. It would be funny in light of the GameStop CEO bitching about recent bundles.

Schrade

GameStop is the number 1 retailer of all hardware in the US by NPD. So yes.

Seriously? As in... people actually prefer to buy their gaming console from GameStop?

That just seems incredible to me. I would have thought places like Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.. would be the leaders there.

Awwww, that's too bad.
Sony not willing to lose too much money on there bundles?

Or as mentioned, Sony not willing to send them many bundles where bigger general retail stores might get a lot more (and more foot traffic).

I'm from UK so don't really know much about BF.

Guess bundles are also going to Amazon?

Seriously? As in... people actually prefer to buy their gaming console from GameStop?

That just seems incredible to me. I would have thought places like Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, etc.. would be the leaders there.

It's been that way for a while.

GameStop used to have a more diminished presence (back when Babbages used to be separate), but nowadays they're even bigger than Wal-Mart for the retail video game market.

ascii42

Why would you be surprised that a retailer dedicated to games sells more than any given retailer that isn't? If it's out of dislike for GameStop, consider that that there are many non-Gamestop options to steal marketshare from each other, but only one GameStop. Since taking over EB, Babbages, and Rhino, it's basically the only nationwide video game chain.

Now that I think about it, I've only ever bought new systems from Gamestop/EBGames.

cakely

Why would you be surprised that a retailer dedicated to games sells more than any given retailer that isn't? If it's out of dislike for GameStop, consider that that there are many non-Gamestop options to steal marketshare from each other, but only one GameStop. Since taking over EB, Babbages, and Rhino, it's basically the only nationwide video game chain.

Now that I think about it, I've only ever bought new systems from Gamestop/EBGames.

I'm surprised because, I personally avoid Gamestop like ebola.

I'm also surprised, anecdotally, because, when my friends and co-workers by games they go to Best Buy, Target, Amazon but I'm pretty sure none of them have set foot in a Gamestop.

I learn something every day, I guess.

Begaria

I've never bought a console from GameStop. I've gotten them from Wal-Mart or Futureshop. I bought my Wii from a local grocery store that was going out of business and basically handed it to me for pretty cheap :p

I know that Gamestop is #1 game retailer day-to-day, but are they the biggest on Black Friday? I would figure Walmart would trounce them for game sales that day. Every Walmart I have ever seen post BF has game shelves stripped bare.

Toki767

I do not speak on behalf of all retail chains or am a spokesman for a particular company. Stock may be plentiful in locations.

How busy is your particular Gamestop? Obviously there could be a lot of factors at play that would explain low shipments, especially when someone else reported that a Best Buy got a bunch of them.

Top Bottom