• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

BurntPork

Banned
test_account said:
I first thought that the 3DS numbers where included as well?
I honestly doing know why you guys ever thought that Nintendo was pulling that crap, as if they never used that term before the 3DS launch. -_-

nickcv

24FrameDaVinci said:

well, it surely doesn't sell anywhere close to a mario 2D game

i'm not saying is not a great seller, it just that the series never pushed insane numbers like mario kart or new super mario bros (wii or ds)

kneePat

IdreamofHIME said:
How are people surprised Madden beat Gears? A: It's Madden B: It was released on every available platform.

C. Gears 3 was released on September 20, 2011 and Madden on August 30, 2011. NPD started tracking for September on August 28th so it should not be surprising.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
fernoca said:
Keep in mind that jstevenson works at Insomniac (community manager), so I think he knows how well Resistance has sold (and is selling). :p

I know who James is lol, but I left that info to see when we get #'s for R3 we can see how good/bad it did

I mean if you remember how much a game sold their first month through NPD w/o looking it up... yeah...

Sad that people are saying R3 "bombed." #7 after the awful and often unfair reception of Resistance 2 isn't bad by any means for a PS3 exclusive. I hope they value making a really respectable title that shows a lot of effort put into it over the sales charts and how some people will never, ever be happy.

IdreamofHIME said:
How are people surprised Madden beat Gears? A: It's Madden B: It was released on every available platform.

This too, wtf. There are some great exclusives on this top #10 which is respectable enough against the massive multi-platform usual suspects, plus some games that I really didn't expect to be so well-received (Space Marine).

markatisu

Warhammer 40k charted bitches! That in itself is a monumental achievement given its niche status in the US compared to the EU

Mrbob said:
Madden won. Don't deny the power of John!
DMPrince said:
Dat Madden. surprised to see Dead Island up there :O

Software (New physical retail only, across all platforms including PC)
01. Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PS2, PSP)** Electronic Arts
02. Gears of War 3 (360)** Microsoft (Corp)
07. Resistance 3 (PS3) Sony (Corp)

Notice that Madden is the total from 5 platforms & the others are as well.
The big winners were Gears & Resistance

test_account

XP-39C²
Nuclear Muffin said:
I would expect the sales to have dropped from the month of the price drop. It would be very surprising if it didn't!
Fair point, but sometimes a pricedrop can have long lasting effect.

BurntPork said:
I honestly doing know why you guys ever thought that Nintendo was pulling that crap, as if they never used that term before the 3DS launch. -_-
Well, the 3DS sales isnt exactly doing that well, so they have to cover it somewhere hehe ;) But in all seriousnes, i've never seen the big problem with using "family" like this. It is the same company who own all the system anyway, so if all the systems are doing good combined, well, then that is good =)

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Why no PR from NPD yet?

Curious if we are up YoY. Also might help get some idea on software sales other than Gears and Madden.

Takao said:
Unless you're the PSP!

Well not quite. The PSP was just as dead in Japan as it was in the US up until Monster Hunter (which just happened to be a non factor outside Japan. That in of itself was pretty telling of its future non success too!)

test_account said:
Fair point, but sometimes a pricedrop have long lasting effect.

But it is having a long lasting effect. The sales have clearly stabilised at a significantly higher point than it was before the price drop.

BKK

BKK said:
42% is rounded to nearest percent;

(438000 / .415) - (438000 + 240000) = 377,422
(438000 / .425) - (438000 + 240000) = 352,588

374K is within the margin of rounding error.

To expand on that;

438000 + 374000 + 240000 = 1052000

438000 / 1052000 = 41.63%
374000 / 1052000 = 35.55%
240000 / 1052000 = 22.81%

BurntPork

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
It took the DS 20 months before it managed to sell more than 200k in a non holiday month. 3DS managed that feat in just 5 months.
Numbers for both August (price drop) and September (Flame Red launch) are inflated. 3DS will drop to 160-180k next moth with nothing to boost sales. (PRB will do about as well as Dash.)

Luckyman

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
Well Resistance 2 did sell 385,000 in Nov. 2008

Resistance 2 probably sold at least over 100k more than 3 first month with much more PS3s. This is lolbad with much more HW. The franchise is only relevant because its a PS3 exclusive but new people do not care at all unlike of Gears.

EagleEyes

Nice to see Gears 3 sell so well. I'm kinda surprised it easily outsold Gears 2 in its first month. Looking like it will get 7 or 8 million in its lifespan at this rate.

kswiston

See You Next Wednesday said:
Notice that Madden is the total from 5 platforms & the others are as well.
The big winners were Gears & Resistance

Considering Deus Ex only sold 244k last month, and still beat Resistance this month, I don't think Resistance 3 sold all that well. Maybe 200-225k at best.

KingDizzi

Banned
EA Sports titles pull in so much money, surely it's well over 50% of the total revenue EA gets per year? Good shit seeing FIFA 12 doing well, great game. Resistance 3 does not look good, it was a pretty good game but nothing amazing. Sony exclusives just don't ever do well in NA, I wonder if UC3 can go past 1 million first month.

Looking at the games coming out that month.....good luck UC3

GraveRobberX

RBH said:
Why is it surprising?

Usually isn't Madden the dominating force in the August NPD, but due to being released late August it got placed in September so that extra week helped it more

Also usually September was always the Halo month (except for 2008 when Star Wars The Force Unleashed released)

September -

Halo 3 - 2007
SWTFU - 2008
Halo ODST - 2009
Halo Reach - 2010

Some just thought replace Halo with GeOW and expect the same sales number?

muu

Mrbob said:
Not saying the 3DS sales are bad. I think they are fine, but looking at the data closely the price drop didn't give it as big of an explosion as the PS3 drop.

Sept the PS3 also had a few exclusives that could have also worked in their favor. And, if you're going to do the week-by-week, You probably would have seen a sales spike right when the discount occurred, and then a plateau to the ~50K numbers. Since there's nothing other than price keeping it afloat I wouldnt be surprised if sales have been dropping every week, and you'll probably see more of that this month.

In Japan Iwata talked about a barrage that needs to follow price drops to make a drop have an effect and not be temporary; MH3G + MH4 was definitely the thing they had packing over there to keep the momentum going, NoA just hasn't done the same, and though the numbers are still fairly good I do have to wonder how it's going to fare for them to put all their hopes on holiday sales.

BurntPork said:
Numbers for both August (price drop) and September (Flame Red launch) are inflated. 3DS will drop to 160-180k next moth with nothing to boost sales. (PRB will do about as well as Dash.)

Dash did do pretty well you know. Also, 3DS is getting Tetris next month too. Plus, October usually brings with it a natural upshtick in sales as well!

Road

user_nat said:
Why no PR from NPD yet?

Curious if we are up YoY. Also might help get some idea on software sales other than Gears and Madden.

SEPTEMBER 2011 US GAME SALES
OVERALL DOLLAR SALES

Total retail sales: $1.16 billion (-6%)
Total non-PC retail sales: $1.13 billion (-4%)
Non-PC hardware: $349.0 million (-9%)
Non-PC software: $630.2 million (+3%)
Accessories: $154.8 million (-14%)
Total software: $653.2 million (-1%)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/633992...all-despite-madden-nfl-npd?tag=topstory;title

Pretty decent numbers for all it seems. Nice to see Deus Ex sticking around though. Was a bit worried after it's kind of low showing last month.

GeoramA

PS3 probably would have won this month if it was $199. Amazing how that clusterfuck launch still affects them even to this day.

BurntPork said:
Meh. PS3 is up 20% YoY and Wii is more or less flat, 360 went down. DS obviously went down massively due to 3DS, but if you combine DS and 3DS it's <1% over DS last year, which is why it can be said that 3DS is still floundering.

I really don't think that two Mario games will do much for it, either. It'll probably still be in third place for the rest of the year, then drop massively in Q1.

The sooner you stop posting, the better it will be for the rest of GAF. Seriously, it's getting beyond ridiculous now.

nickcv said:
well, it surely doesn't sell anywhere close to a mario 2D game

i'm not saying is not a great seller, it just that the series never pushed insane numbers like mario kart or new super mario bros (wii or ds)
Hardly anything does though.

BurntPork said:

I hope you like crow, but I don't even know why I'm bothering to reply to you given your posting history on the 3DS.

GeoramA said:
PS3 probably would have won this month if it was $199. Amazing how that clusterfuck launch still affects them even to this day.

I have a feeling that if the PS3 dropped to $199 that would have forced MS's hand to drop the price of the 360 as well and we would be in the same boat we are now in regards to distance of numbers between them this month.

GraveRobberX

IoCaster said:
LTD
360 28,841,373
PS3 17,896,921

So how long will it take them to catch up?

Now show me the wold wide #'s for both the HD consoles

Oh you mean to tell me NA isn't the center of the gaming universe... Get the Fuck Outta Here lol, I thought it was -.-, I mean I didn't know that NA was the definitive and only head count

IoCaster said:
LTD
360 28,841,373
PS3 17,896,921
So how long will it take them to catch up?
ppl know it's a lost cause so they keep mentioning worldwide in NPD threads.

Marius_ said:
EviLore said:
03. Dead Island (360, PS3, PC) Deep Silver
07. Resistance 3 (PS3) Sony (Corp)
2hnqd78.jpg

awww don't be like that.

kneePat said:
C. Gears 3 was released on September 20, 2011 and Madden on August 30, 2011. NPD started tracking for September on August 28th so it should not be surprising.

I don't think that's even a factor tbh. You could have given Gears a week head start and madden would still overtake it.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
test_account said:
Wont happend. But what matters is that both systems are popular :)
And we are guaranteed a new iteration for both, its too late in this generation to be wondering if the PS3 will catch the 360, the answer is clear and that is a no

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
GraveRobberX said:
Now show me the wold wide #'s for both the HD consoles

Oh you mean to tell me NA isn't the center of the gaming universe... Get the Fuck Outta Here lol, I thought it was -.-, I mean I didn't know that NA was the definitive and only head count
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone started posting this shit...Again.

Top Bottom