• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Number of games for each console

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
While searching on Wikipedia i noticed that every console has the list of its games with their number, so i thought it would have been neat to post some notable examples.

Current gen:

PS4: 1316
XB1: 1024
WIIU: 725
3DS: 1012
Vita: 1433

gen of the forever:
PC: 28325 (unknown source)

some older gen consoles and computers:

WII: 1654
DS: 1862
GB: 1049
GBA: 1074
GC: 661
N64: 388
SNES: 783(not counting Japan only) - Super Famicon: 1447 on SFC, plus 231 on Satellaview and 13 on Sufami Turbo
NES: 713

PS3: 2241(1432 on disc, 809 dd only)
PS2: 2501
PS1: 2413
PSP: 869

XB360: 1901(1182 on disc, 719 dd only)
XB: 1045

DC: 638
Saturn: 597
SMD: 897
SMS: 341

NeoGeo: 148

Amiga: 1755
C64: 2021

If you want to know the number of games of a certain console or computer just search "X list of games" and pick wikipedia.

EDIT:
corrected xb360 and snes numbers and added pc(honestly i didn't even think that it was possible to count them lol)

PC - 28 325
Wikipedia lied to you. That 360 number is missing, at the very least, another 719 XBLA titles.
That 360 number is retail only!

You also need to add 719 XBLA games to that number.

Then there's the indie games too, although they're all a variation on Minecraft.

I can only assume these figures are North America only, otherwise they're simply completely wrong.

Snes library has well over 1,500 games if you include Japan. Saturn library is around the 1,300 mark too, not 597.

PS4: 1316
XB1: 1024
WIIU: 725
3DS: 1012
Vita: 1433 >
R7URtqp.gif

Considering the myriad of factors, involving BC or PSP Minis or smaller titles, it completely skews these numbers and makes it an incomprehensible mess to compare.

I'm pretty sure some of these are just lists of reported software releases.

You can't get a Wii U game released without putting it through Nintendo and thus getting it listed on their site and thus getting it probably listed on Wikipedia, but C64 and Amiga are a completely different story, you could release anything on these and it wouldn't be less official than anything.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Kinda not surprised Vita leads the pack this gen, since it basically became a dumping ground for indies.

Luminaire

I thought PS3 didn't have any games?

On a serious note, it's crazy to see those numbers. You never really think that there are thousands of games available on just one machine.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Once again proving Vita really does mean life.

Saoshyant

Vita has a rabid fan base. The attachment rate has been studied to be large enough that releases still made sense as late as last year. It's finally winding down, though, with even the Japan audience passing on multiplatform Vita titles for their PS4 counterparts, but it lasted long enough that it's not surprising to see those numbers.

The 3DS has a smaller attachment rate; most of its user base buy just a few titles. The result is that the 3DS has less releases even though it was a market success while the Vita flopped badly.

I just hope future consoles are all BC and support external hard drives, makes going backwards easier

Whats even crazier is I own 3481 games on steam at the moment. The day humble, indiegala, etc start selling console bundles is when peoples digital console libraries are gonna EXPLODE

I'm weirded out by Vita and 3DS numbers as I thought that they were pretty different numbers

But let's talk about the GBA

what the fuck

that was a system with a 3 year life until it's successor arose how the fuck did that happen

Saoshyant

That PS1 # is staggering, considering those are all retail releases.

It had a lot going for it, namely:

1) it was the biggest selling console ever at the time and it changed gaming distribution entirely; being mainstream, 7-11 and other store chains started carrying it instead of just hobbyist shops and toy stores, further increasing its reach

2) all the Amiga/PC studios of the time migrated to it for a bunch of different reasons, but major of all the ease of development, which had been a nightmare for every console before it

3) there was no competition at all. While the SNES/Mega Drive era was close, the Saturn/PS1/N64 had one clear winner and third parties focused entirely on it

The momentum for the PS1 was so large that hype alone made sure the PS2 was an immediate success.

Ensoul

The most telling one is that the n64 had 388 and the psx had 2413 games; almost 6 times than the n64. Didn't realize it was that lopsided.

I'm surprised to see how relatively low/comparable the PS3 and 360 numbers are, considering that the previous gen was almost twice as long as the other console eras.

KodaRuss

Well if you are looking at a console and you want the widest library of games Sony is your man I guess. That N64 number seems really low to me.

NahaNago

Its hard to believe the ps1 and ps2 were so close i would have sworn the ps2 would have stomped the ps1 but it only beat it by a 100 games and that n64 number seems so low for such a beloved system.The 360 and ps3 number of games between them is shockingly huge considering i thought Microsoft was leading most of last gen it felt like and had that whole indie movement going on for its console.

RalchAC

But people kept saying that the Vita has no games!

Because the list is wrong, since indies, multiplats and ports don't count.

And Sony should totally port Tearaway and Gravity Rush to the PS4! Those games will sell like hotcakes on a console that's not dead!

Airola

I'm pretty sure some of these are just lists of reported software releases.

You can't get a Wii U game released without putting it through Nintendo and thus getting it listed on their site and thus getting it probably listed on Wikipedia, but C64 and Amiga are a completely different story, you could release anything on these and it wouldn't be less official than anything.

C64: 4121
Amiga: 3946

Based on Lemon64 and LemonAmiga.

GB64 currently has 25700 entries listed for C64. That of course includes tons of different versions of the same game and tons of "unofficial" programs that appeared on magazines as code listings and tons of super hyper amateur stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's going to be difficult compare across generations given that current gen and last gen have an armload of ports, an unprecedented amount, and those two gens also have cheap downloadable titles. So a 1:1 SKU count is going to be tough.

Like, the Wii count doesn't include VC and probably doesn't include WiiWare, but the Wii U count absolutely includes at least eShop games and maybe VC. Wii U has about 150 retail titles.

Top Bottom