• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

paolo11

Here's the thing: we need to know how tall you are, how much you weigh, your age, your gender, maybe a rough estimate of your body fat percentage, your current total calorie intake (and the grams of carbs/fat/protein you consume), etc before anyone can give you a yes-or-no as to whether that shake is OK.

Read Bowser's post thoroughly and give that calculator a go as I think we're working on too little information to really help you here.

Ok. I am removing the shake out of the question.

My height is 5'8, weight currently 199 and I workout 3 days per week.

entremet

My favorite ''diet'' has to be the Perfect Health Diet, which is more of a lifestyle approach than diet.

The book has thousands of cited scientific studies and goes over the nutritional basis of hunger. Why we get hungry is answered in this book in meticulous detail. The authors are also fans IF (Intermittent Fasting)

I highly recommend it for those looking to improve their nutritional knowledge.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com

Eiolon

Hi folks,

Been a distance runner my entire life and in the last 2 years was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees. So my life is pretty sedentary. However, my 3500 calorie diet still exists so I've gained about 20 lbs the last couple of years.

I've been trying to use the BMR and am wondering if I am calculating what I need properly. I've been getting around 1661 calories as the calculation with daily intake of 1993. If I do nothing but walk around the house or at my job, should I be subtracting 500 calories from the 1993 or actually be aiming for the 1993?

I've been subtracting. I am used to getting 9-11 hours of sleep a night but lately have been getting 6-7 and it's made me miserable. I wake up at 2:30 and can't go back to sleep because I'm hungry (I feel full when I go to bed).

My diet has been shit all my life. Eating mostly pizza, burgers, BBQ and soda. So it's also been a shock to my system that I am eating healthy for once ha ha.

5'7"
155lbs
Male

Hi folks,

Been a distance runner my entire life and in the last 2 years was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees. So my life is pretty sedentary. However, my 3500 calorie diet still exists so I've gained about 20 lbs the last couple of years.

I've been trying to use the BMR and am wondering if I am calculating what I need properly. I've been getting around 1661 calories as the calculation with daily intake of 1993. If I do nothing but walk around the house or at my job, should I be subtracting 500 calories from the 1993 or actually be aiming for the 1993?

I've been subtracting. I am used to getting 9-11 hours of sleep a night but lately have been getting 6-7 and it's made me miserable. I wake up at 2:30 and can't go back to sleep because I'm hungry (I feel full when I go to bed).

My diet has been shit all my life. Eating mostly pizza, burgers, BBQ and soda. So it's also been a shock to my system that I am eating healthy for once ha ha.

5'7"
155lbs
Male

Do not go below your BMR unless you are crash dieting for a few weeks and know exactly what you are doing and your goals. The first thing that takes the hit are your hormonal functions, which defeats the purpose. So don't subtract 500 cals, try 100-200 and go from there. If you're feeling too weak maybe your calculations were off and need to increase them a bit. And if you feel hungry before bed and that affects your sleep then have your biggest meal during dinner. I prefer feeling very hungry all day than even a bit at night.

I don't think I have done any drive by posts, but I'll drop it.

Behind a paywall, but it illustrates why the fat scaremongering is bad science.
Heart attack on a plate? The truth about saturated fat

I'm only trying to help, if you guys think that I am that toxic, I'll leave. No need for forum drama.

I've mentioned him before, but Fred Kummerow proved that the only true bad fat is man made trans fats. interview

And yes, I too have learned that extreme low carb isn't good for you in the long run. Although, there are a small percentage of people that do it to combat major health problems.

entremet

Do not go below your BMR unless you are crash dieting for a few weeks and know exactly what you are doing and your goals. The first thing that takes the hit are your hormonal functions, which defeats the purpose. So don't subtract 500 cals, try 100-200 and go from there. If you're feeling too weak maybe your calculations were off and need to increase them a bit. And if you feel hungry before bed and that affects your sleep then have your biggest meal during dinner. I prefer feeling very hungry all day than even a bit at night.

Yeah, 500 is a bit much.

Also don't forget to add some cheat days/meals from time to time, so your thyroid function remains intact. You really can fuck yourself up if you're in a hypo caloric state for too long. So don't be afraid of cheats, so your body doesn't think it is starving all the time.

Remember evolution trumps all and your body doesn't know the difference between starving and dieting.

Revenant

So first off, according to this thread, carbs from dietary fiber can be subtracted from my carb total?

Also, I am currently running a macro of 40 % protein, 35 % fat, and 25 % carb using myfitnesspal for tracking. According to what I put in as my bio:

age 24
height 6'5"
weight 200,
lifestyle sedentary(I like to be active daily but I work a desk job so figured sedentary still applied)

I get about 2000 calories if i want to lose roughly a pound a week. I also play hockey 2-3 times a week and typically get some form of exercise each day, (on the low end something like going for a 1/2 hour - hour walk, weight training, etc)
This seems to be going well, I started at about 210 lbs in late may and I'm basically just trying to kill the remaining gut

I'd say I normally finish around 70g fat 13g of sat fat, 200g of protein, and 60-80g of carbs on the average day. What I'm wondering is if I'm trying to cut down another 5i-7 pounds before I probably switch to maintenance and I'm wondering if I was to go up to closer to 90-110g of carbs a day there is any harm in doing so assuming these aren't refined carbs. I'd say i've been going reduced carb but not to the point of keto, and frankly I enjoy the occasional piece of fruit and plate of peppers and other assorted veggies alongside some lean meat.

So is there any harm in bumping up the actual amount of carbs I eat assuming they're not garbage carbs? Or for the sake of cutting out the last bastion of unnecessary fact is that a bad idea.

Hey guys, I have a few questions about my diet, and was referred to here. My "specs"

5'8.5"
163 lbs
sedentary (lightly active/moderately active during september - may due to walking across my huge campus)

I've recently made the change of cutting a lot of carbs out of my diet and increasing amounts of protein and fat. I actually didn't know that carbs from fiber didn't count before reading the OP so that puts me at ease since I still thought I was eating a bit too many carbs. I probably average out at around 70g of carbs per day and 120 - 150 g of protein. I was wondering if this was decent for weight loss? I managed to lose around 25 lbs beforehand without making any significant changes to my diet aside from smaller portions, but I started to plateau around the beginning of the struggle and have maybe only taken off 3 or 4 lbs in the past couple months, so I'm looking to accelerate the process again. If anyone has some food recommendations that would be great!

A couple other questions. For Greek Yogurt, what's the best way to sweeten it without adding (too many) carb? I've been eating the Chobani Vanilla Greek Yogurt during breakfast along with a few eggs, which is fine, but I can't stomach plain greek yogurt without additional sweeteners or granola or something. Also, is full fat Greek Yogurt better to eat than no/reduced fat?

One more, directed at College/University students. I'll be going back to school soon, and it worries me a bit since I won't be able to control my diet as much as I do at home. Breakfast shouldn't be a problem, I can just get eggs and yogurt like I do at home. Lunch and dinner have me worried though. How do you guys know what's good to eat? Especially since nutrition info isn't given out readily. (aside from obvious things like chicken, fish, etc. but they don't serve the same thing every night). I might be worrying too much , I can probably eat a healthy dinner no problem, but I'm a little anxious all the same.

edit: I eat around 1500 calories a day, and I do light weight training 3 days a week, and HIIT for 15 minutes (3 cooldown, 2 warm up, 10 on/off work) and replenish the calories I burn

Forgive me for being dumb but I'm trying to figure out that IF Calculator website. Can someone explain?

My current plan is 40/30/30 but carbs have been more like 30%.

Seems to be doing well.

Bowser

Forgive me for being dumb but I'm trying to figure out that IF Calculator website. Can someone explain?

My current plan is 40/30/30 but carbs have been more like 30%.

Seems to be doing well.

The IF calc website will give you a proposed intake that you can vary, but I think the default is set to calculate 1g per lb of protein and then allocate the remaining calories 50/50 between carbs and fat. I don't really use their intake breakdown thing, just the first part to calculate maintenance calories/TDEE.

Nakho

Great thread!

Wish I could be one of those people who do a minor change in diet, like stop drinking soda, and shed like 20 pounds easily. Since March, I've stopped drinking anything other than water and stopped eating fast food. My portion sizes are at the point where I feel I'm starving if I eat less than that and my macros are all correct. Been playing tennis 3x a week. And still, I've stationed at 150 lbs for like forever. Guess I'll check out a dietitian and see what I can do to shake things up.

Shark Gun

Neo Member
Great thread!

Wish I could be one of those people who do a minor change in diet, like stop drinking soda, and shed like 20 pounds easily. Since March, I've stopped drinking anything other than water and stopped eating fast food. My portion sizes are at the point where I feel I'm starving if I eat less than that and my macros are all correct. Been playing tennis 3x a week. And still, I've stationed at 150 lbs for like forever. Guess I'll check out a dietitian and see what I can do to shake things up.

Just hang in there. Not all bodies function the same way. I'm sure you feel a lot better since cutting out soda and junk food, even if you can't see the difference yet. Keep going and eventually your body will start to change.

I lost weight super fast in the beginning but can't seem to get rid of the last 10 kilos which are bothering me. Keep at it and eventually it will pay off.

Irobot82

Great thread!

Hold up a second.
Male/Female?
Height?

150lbs? What are you trying to get down to?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dumbshit HIIT question for you HIIT folks. The cut has been pushing me lately so I've been doing it - is a 48 hour rest period for HIIT also optimal or are you best served doing it daily, or what?

paolo11

I have a noob question.

If I am 5'8 and 200lbs and I want definition of muscles on my arms and legs, do I need to lose weight or can I get definition of muscles while lifting weights without the need of dieting or keeping the same weight as I have?

I just want to be muscular, not lean.

Dumbshit HIIT question for you HIIT folks. The cut has been pushing me lately so I've been doing it - is a 48 hour rest period for HIIT also optimal or are you best served doing it daily, or what?

I don't think I've ever seen someone recommend daily HIIT. It seems like it's a 2-4 day a week thing. Just my two cents.

Bowser

I think HIIT is supposed to be done once, maybe twice a week. Daily is insane. You can do daily low-intensity cardio and supplement with 1-2 HIIT sessions a week.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I've ever seen someone recommend daily HIIT. It seems like it's a 2-4 day a week thing. Just my two cents.

I think HIIT is supposed to be done once, maybe twice a week. Daily is insane. You can do daily low-intensity cardio and supplement with 1-2 HIIT sessions a week.

Thank fucking god

EDIT: Goddammit thought I posted this in fit-gaf

Mully

Is Crossfit exercise consider a HIIT exercise?

Also, about my question...

Yes and no.

Crossfit is great at burning calories, but it's really just a fad.

HIIT can be anything from doing 20 second sprints in between 30 second jogs to sprinting uphill and jogging back down.

Don't complicate it.

paolo11

Yes and no.

Crossfit is great at burning calories, but it's really just a fad.

HIIT can be anything from doing 20 second sprints in between 30 second jogs to sprinting uphill and jogging back down.

Don't complicate it.

Why is it a fad and what do you mean by don't complicate it? Sorry for asking.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
O...M...G!

OP You hit the nail on the damn head with your OP. You could write a book and have money rolling in. I agree with everything you've said in which helped me along my journey to gaining lean muscle mass. I'll comment later, but I just wanted to give you props for this VERY informative post!

Nice job dude!

Bowser

I mean, it depends on the type and length of the HIIT you're performing. 20 sec on, 10 sec rest for 4 total minutes, sure, go ahead, do that 4x a week.

Sprints/Hill sprints where you go all out for 30 sec, rest for a minute, and repeat 8-10 times? Definitely don't do that 4x a week, especially if you're combining that with 3 days a week of heavy weights involving your legs like squats, deadlift, etc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
whatanerd

I did 2-3 sessions a week based on how I feel. What exactly are you doing?

10 alternating switches between 1:00 sprint/1:15 jog. But I've talked to some dudes and 1:00 sprints is unbelievably insane, so I'm gonna tweak to :30/:45 or :30/1:00s

10 alternating switches between 1:00 sprint/1:15 jog. But I've talked to some dudes and 1:00 sprints is unbelievably insane, so I'm gonna tweak to :30/:45 or :30/1:00s

geez, can you really spring for a minute? that is pretty crazy

I like this setup

5 minute warmup

50 secs light jog/ 10 seconds sprint
48 secs light jog/12 sec sprint
46/14
44/16
42/18
40/20
40/20
42/18
44/16
46/14
48/12
50/10

5 minute cool down

Hi,

can anybody recommend a good book on nutrition for runners?

I'm steadying on a 60-70 km/week rythm now, and I feel it's time to better tune my diet accordingly.

I find there's a lot of material for bodybuilders and whatnot, out there, but less for running enthusiasts.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
geez, can you really spring for a minute? that is pretty crazy

I like this setup

5 minute warmup

50 secs light jog/ 10 seconds sprint
48 secs light jog/12 sec sprint
46/14
44/16
42/18
40/20
40/20
42/18
44/16
46/14
48/12
50/10

5 minute cool down

Not easily! Do you use an app to run that breakdown?

Bowser

All I'll say is, if you're sprinting for 1:00...you're not sprinting haha.

My sprints are 30 seconds of maximum effort, to the point my legs are jelly and I rest, hands on knees, panting for air, for 1 minute then cry when I look at my watch and realize how short a minute rest seems compared to a 30 second sprint.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All I'll say is, if you're sprinting for 1:00...you're not sprinting haha.

My sprints are 30 seconds of maximum effort, to the point my legs are jelly and I rest, hands on knees, panting for air, for 1 minute then cry when I look at my watch and realize how short a minute rest seems compared to a 30 second sprint.

I'll say this, if it was 30 seconds, I could have run much faster. Fuck this cardio shit!

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"

Not at all. I do hit twice a week.

Monday-Squats,calfs, and core work
Tuesday & Wednesday- Rest
Thursday- 40-50 yard sprints (5-6 times)
Friday-rest
Saturday- 40-50 yard sprints (5-6) times

I started off at 174 LB in august of last year before I started working out. Bulked to 194 by May 2014. Cut from June until July (Started late), and I'm now at 184. HITT and diet is key.

Bowser

Not at all. I do hit twice a week.

Monday-Squats,calfs, and core work
Tuesday & Wednesday- Rest
Thursday- 40-50 yard sprints (5-6 times)
Friday-rest
Saturday- 40-50 yard sprints (5-6) times

I started off at 174 LB in august of last year before I started working out. Bulked to 194 by May 2014. Cut from June until July (Started late), and I'm now at 184. HITT and diet is key.

Yeah, but if I'm reading this correctly, you're only lifting weights one day a week. Most of the Fit-GAF folks (such as Vince) are lifting 3x a week, heavy weight, squats at every session (anywhere from 3-5 sets of 5). Sprinting more than twice a week while doing that much heavy leg work will destroy your legs and probably lead to injury.

entremet

Hi,

can anybody recommend a good book on nutrition for runners?

I'm steadying on a 60-70 km/week rythm now, and I feel it's time to better tune my diet accordingly.

I find there's a lot of material for bodybuilders and whatnot, out there, but less for running enthusiasts.

How does your diet look know?

Are you paleo, low carb, standard american diet, vegan, etc.? Do you want to lose fat or optimize performance?

I have a noob question.

If I am 5'8 and 200lbs and I want definition of muscles on my arms and legs, do I need to lose weight or can I get definition of muscles while lifting weights without the need of dieting or keeping the same weight as I have?

I just want to be muscular, not lean.

If you just lose weight you'll most likely be skinny or skinny fat. Build some muscle. Run Starting Strength for a year and add some arm work--curls, skull crushers, etc. Then start dieting. You'll look much better if you do that approach than try getting skinny at first.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Yeah, but if I'm reading this correctly, you're only lifting weights one day a week. Most of the Fit-GAF folks (such as Vince) are lifting 3x a week, heavy weight, squats at every session (anywhere from 3-5 sets of 5). Sprinting more than twice a week while doing that much heavy leg work will destroy your legs and probably lead to injury.

No, I was posting in reference to the days I work my lower (legs & core). Tuesday & Friday I do Upper body (Bench,pushups,dips,chinups,barbell curls,pullups, netural grip chin ups, dumb bell shrugs)

Bowser

No, I was posting in reference to the days I work my lower (legs & core). Tuesday & Friday I do Upper body (Bench,pushups,dips,chinups,barbell curls,pullups, netural grip chin ups, dumb bell shrugs)

Again, you're still only doing heavy leg work one day a week. Go ahead and do sprints 2-3x a week if you want. I wouldn't recommend combining 2-3x sprint work with someone doing heavy leg training (i.e. squats and deadlifts) 3x a week.

edit: the above is especially true for folks who are cutting. As Lyle McDonald says:

Intermediate exercisers already involved in heavy weight training

This is where it gets more complicated because there are so many different ways that people might be training. As mentioned above, interval training is another high intensity workout and that has to be considered within the context of the overall training structure.

Local overtraining (of the legs) is a very real issue when you try to add interval training to a heavy leg training schedule. Someone who is trying to train legs twice (or more) per week and who adds intervals to that load can quickly run into problems. This applies to bodybuilders, powerlifters, and any other athlete who has to develop multiple capacities at once. There are a couple of solutions. This is why I didn’t include intervals in the Ultimate Diet 2.0; it already included 3-4 lower body workouts/week. Adding intervals would have just made overtraining a near guarantee.

The first is to cut back leg training (which should really be done on a diet anyhow, I’ll talk about training for fat loss in another newsletter) to reduce the overall training load. Basically, leg training should be moved to maintenance loads, with a reduction in volume, frequency, or both (intensity should never be reduced). If you were training legs for 6-8 sets twice/week you can cut back to 2-3 sets twice/week or perhaps 4 sets once/week and maintain leg strength (and size) for quite some time. Adding two days of intervals to your training, plus 1-2 regular aerobic sessions, works just fine (see comments below on sequencing). If leg training is cut back to once/week, or the volume performed more frequently is very low, intervals might be possible up to three times/week.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-and-interval-training-part-2.html

Dude...I've already seen the results I've put in. The sprints are more for burning off the excess fat which is why one "Cuts". Thx though :)

Just because it worked for you and you didn't get hurt doesn't mean it's appropriate for everyone. Nutrition and fitness isn't a "one size fits all" thing.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Again, you're still only doing heavy leg work one day a week. Go ahead and do sprints 2-3x a week if you want. I wouldn't recommend combining 2-3x sprint work with someone doing heavy leg training (i.e. squats and deadlifts) 3x a week.

Dude...I've already seen the results I've put in. The sprints are more for burning off the excess fat which is why one "Cuts". Thx though :)

paolo11

How does your diet look know?

Are you paleo, low carb, standard american diet, vegan, etc.? Do you want to lose fat or optimize performance?

If you just lose weight you'll most likely be skinny or skinny fat. Build some muscle. Run Starting Strength for a year and add some arm work--curls, skull crushers, etc. Then start dieting. You'll look much better if you do that approach than try getting skinny at first.

Ah, let me ask you this. I am 5'8 200lbs. I currently do Cross fit 3 days per week. If I corporate strength training (weight lifting) 3 days per week with keeping the same eating habits (2500 calories 4 days a week, 3000 calories 3 days a week), within a 2 to 3 months would my arms and other bodies get defined?

Ah, let me ask you this. I am 5'8 200lbs. I currently do Cross fit 3 days per week. If I corporate strength training (weight lifting) 3 days per week with keeping the same eating habits (2500 calories 4 days a week, 3000 calories 3 days a week), within a 2 to 3 months would my arms and other bodies get defined?

But how muscular are you right now?

no answer to my question ... :/

I do HIIT 4 times a week for 10 minutes, 20 seconds on, 40 seconds rest. I might cut it down to 3 times a week though. I just started doing it this week. I do it on the elliptical machine.

e:

M: Light Weights + HIIT (3 min warmup 3 min cooldown)
T: HIIT (3 min warmup 3 min cooldown)
W: Light Weights + HIIT (3 min warmup 3 min cooldown)
Thurs: Rest
Fri: Light Weights + HIIT (3 min warmup 3 min cooldown)
Sat: Rest
Sun: Rest

number11

Lost about 10lbs this month trying to get rid of my beer belly (through my 'diet', cardio, and basic strength training). The annoying thing is that I'm getting far too skinny everywhere else apart from where I need to lose it.

I guess I just need to keep doing what I'm doing right? I can't wait until I can eat at a calorie surplus again

Eh, not that muscular. A little defined on my arms and I have muscular calves. A big huge tummy of course. Hehehehe....

ok I used the following parameters...
8-14-201412-47-33PM.jpg

8-14-201412-50-49PM.jpg

So you are ok consuming 3000 calories on workout days and 2500 during rest. The second image has your macronutrient ratios. Try to stick as close to them. I would further recommend to reduce carbs on rest days and substitute them for fats. Good carb sources are potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, beans. They have some protein too, so it helps meet your requirements. Things that are mainly sugar are not good carb sources and should be treated as cheat meals not as part of a regular diet.

I don't know if crossfit will make you muscular, but it will for sure make you lean if your diet is on point because it is a tough workout. You can discuss that in the fitness thread.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Just because it worked for you and you didn't get hurt doesn't mean it's appropriate for everyone. Nutrition and fitness isn't a "one size fits all" thing.

This is indeed a very true statement here in which I tell everyone who says they should stick to one particular regimen.My previous post was for what I did, which helped me as I saw the results I wanted. Yes, what may work for me may not work for others, but bodybuilding and burning fat is a pretty simple process if you really think about it.

One just has to be disciplined and focused.

Top Bottom