• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVDIDA Hotfix 551.46 - Major vsync and stuttering fix

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Link

Many reported issues with stutter and vsync much improved.

Performance improvements seem pretty widespread. Funny how less latency and stutter is something we're getting improvements on. I'm glad they're pushing for an even smoother experience.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
NVIDIA? More like, "igNorant... VIDeo... gamIng... Asshole."

Deez Nuts GIF

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
From Nvidia's notes:

This hotfix addresses the following issues:

• Some users may experience intermittent micro-stuttering in games when vertical sync is enabled [4445940]
  • Potential stutter may be observed when scrolling in web browsers on certain system configurations [4362307]
  • [Red Dead Redemption 2][Vulkan] Stutter observed on some Advanced Optimus notebooks [4425987]
  • [Immortals of Aveum] Addresses stability issues over extended gameplay [4415277]

Last edited:

dave_d

Just curious, I've seen a bunch of people on tech sites/reddit keep on saying all the new NVidia drivers are busted.(They've been saying to use some 537 drivers and all the newer ones are garbage.) So was there any validity to that and are these drivers supposed to fix that issue? (You know, assuming it exists and is as serious as they claim.) Admittedly I've been mostly gaming on my consoles lately so I'm kind of out of the loop on all of this. (I have a 3070 FWIW)

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Just curious, I've seen a bunch of people on tech sites/reddit keep on saying all the new NVidia drivers are busted.(They've been saying to use some 537 drivers and all the newer ones are garbage.) So was there any validity to that and are these drivers supposed to fix that issue? (You know, assuming it exists and is as serious as they claim.) Admittedly I've been mostly gaming on my consoles lately so I'm kind of out of the loop on all of this. (I have a 3070 FWIW)

Folks on Guru3D seem to be pretty happy with this hotfix.

If anyone is having black screens due to old driver 551.23, Turning off free sync and/or setting Chroma to 4:2:0 seemed to fix it.
I hope this new driver lets me run RGB again.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If anyone is having black screens due to old driver 551.23, Turning off free sync and/or setting Chroma to 4:2:0 seemed to fix it.
I hope this new driver lets me run RGB again.
Somebody needs to test that because that's the same issue that I've been having as well. I bought a new cord and thought it would fix it but it seems to be somewhat driver related. It's not really annoying but it is an issue.

nikos

I always keep the driver updated and have never had an issue. Can't speak for others though.

EDIT: I don't even have the issues this hotfix is fixing.

I run G-Sync + VSync on and Low Latency Mode on Ultra in NVCP. Use Reflex in games that support it to override LLM. VSync and frame rate limit off in games. This automatically caps frames just below the monitor's refresh rate so you stay in G-Sync and games are super smooth.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

I'll have to try this later. I have a 3070 and i get these quick black frame stutters every once in a while when running high frames. Like one frame will randomly be black. It's very annoying and distracting.

Somebody needs to test that because that's the same issue that I've been having as well. I bought a new cord and thought it would fix it but it seems to be somewhat driver related. It's not really annoying but it is an issue.
Yep, I tore my home theater apart plugging and unplugging cables, trying different ports, Wish I had read all the driver issues before I did all that. But I did get a chance to dust out the ole media cabinet. So thanks Nvidia.

Allandor

From Nvidia's notes:

This hotfix addresses the following issues:
  • Potential stutter may be observed when scrolling in web browsers on certain system configurations [4362307]
And I thought that was an issue of Edge. Again Nvidia....

Still my drop-downs in the Nvidia driver panel triggers the windows search (chaised that problem with a debugging tool, even reinstalling windows did not fix that) and waits for it to complete since I have my ... last Nvidia card for quit some time I think.

Last edited:
deselected the audio drivers in the installer menu because theyre not a newer version, and my audio drivers got uninstalled, ha.

tried the hotfix because death standing feels like it has crappy framepacing at times.
wasnt really expecting an improvement and didnt notice a change.

deselected the audio drivers in the installer menu because theyre not a newer version, and my audio drivers got uninstalled, ha.
For future reference: the nvidia installer only installs a component if the version is newer. You can leave everything selected, or use express install, and it will only update what is necessary.

For future reference: the nvidia installer only installs a component if the version is newer. You can leave everything selected, or use express install, and it will only update what is necessary.
yeah but i like doing the custom install option to see each component's version number, and i like manually unchecking the component's checkbox if it's not a newer version.

i also enjoy watching progress bars.

man of culture

Top Bottom