• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia 3D Vision Review

Spoit said:
Yeah, anyone even remember borys?
A valiant hero, slain while fighting pirates in a Assassins Creed thread. Seldom have we seen a PC supporter with such rampant hatred towards the consoles.

Too bad about Wollan though, this was a good thread. :eek:

Zeenbor

I just got a hold of the samsung 2233rz and the 3d vision glasses and there is sooo much potential here.

By far, the best 3D experience has been Audiosurf. SIMPLY INCREDIBLE!!! If you have the depth dial all the way up, it's like you're looking into another world of abstract musical greatness.

L4D is also fantastic if you have a fast videocard. I had to lower resolution and put all the settings to minimum to get a fast framerate and then the 3D really started to be coherent.

I haven't felt this giddy about 3D since Mario 64. It had that magical feeling that has officially made me want to upgrade my PC and play on my PC primarily. It also made me want to program more for PC (I program consoles right now) and try to exploit this and Wiimote headtracking (and brainwave control via emotiv).

In short, GET THIS NOW if you can afford $600. NOW!

Well I lucked out. BIG time. I went to PAX last weekend and won the Samsung monitor and 3d Vision kit from the NVidia booth. Boy am I glad I did! This is amazing! I could never justify spending $600 on the set, but getting it for free was amazing. I'll (almost) never game without the glasses again.

I'll go through the games I've played so far and describe what I have seen. I've only been using this for about two days so far, so my observations will be brief.

LotRO
Looks pretty good, but far from perfect. PC and NPC names seem to float off to the left of the models, makes clicking on them not as easy as I would like, but manageable. When my character model gets close to the camera (like when I am in a very confined space), it gets very difficult to look at. Very distorted. That said, the landscapes are beautiful. Cities and building interiors are amazing. I feel like I'm playing inside of the most amazing pop-up book ever. I mean that as a good thing. Climbing to the top of a hill and looking out over the land is so much fun. From now on, I'll use the glasses when just doing my own thing, but I'll probably turn them off when in intense situations where every second counts and mistakes can not be made.
3/5

Colonization
Looks pretty good. Obviously not a lot of intense effects going on here, not many (or any) vistas to enjoy. 3d Vision makes this good looking game slightly better, but doesn't really add a whole lot. I have yet to find any drawbacks in this game.
3/5

L4D
Zombies in 3d? Yes, please. This game looks great. 3d Vision adds a ton to this game. Zombies charging me down freaks me out big time now. I occasionally have problems when items or party members glow (like when they are in another room). Other than that, no problems. And that is a negligible problem. Not a game breaker. I'll be using the glasses 100% of the time with this now.
4/5

Warhammer Online
Perfect. This is billed as one of the flagship titles for 3d Vision and it shows. I have yet to find a single problem with this game. The graphics are amazing. There is no reason to ever play this game without the glasses now. They add a ton to the experience.
5/5

Bioshock
This one looks pretty good. There are problems, they mostly seem to stem from shadows on bright backgrounds that cause the entire screen to appear distorted. Other than that, the game plays pretty well. I don't know what it is, but something about the PC's hands at he front of the screen look excellent. The rest of the environments look pretty good. I can deal with the shadow problems and I'll be using the glasses full time with this.
3/5

World at War
Pretty damn good. Everything looks great. The only issue is the crosshair. Nvidia warns that some FPS games will need to have the default crosshair turned off, 3d Vision then adds its own crosshair to the game. I'm not convinced that the 3d crosshair is as accurate as the game's own crosshair. But it is very close. On the other hand, I'm usually firing from zoom in mode, so I have the site on the gun its self to use, which works very well. If I'm playing online, I'll probably play without the glasses, just to get that extra accuracy. But in single player, 3d Vision all the way. I need to do more testing to figure out if the crosshair really is a problem, or if I'm just not that good of a shot. :p
4/5

quetz67

Banned
Let me add that "Titan Quest" looks absolutely marvelous, the 3D effect on games with a more top down view often is excellent. And in this case it is flawless too, despite the water reflections, that are already broken in flat 3D.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Zeenbor said:
I just got a hold of the samsung 2233rz and the 3d vision glasses and there is sooo much potential here.

By far, the best 3D experience has been Audiosurf. SIMPLY INCREDIBLE!!! If you have the depth dial all the way up, it's like you're looking into another world of abstract musical greatness.

L4D is also fantastic if you have a fast videocard. I had to lower resolution and put all the settings to minimum to get a fast framerate and then the 3D really started to be coherent.

I haven't felt this giddy about 3D since Mario 64. It had that magical feeling that has officially made me want to upgrade my PC and play on my PC primarily. It also made me want to program more for PC (I program consoles right now) and try to exploit this and Wiimote headtracking (and brainwave control via emotiv).

In short, GET THIS NOW if you can afford $600. NOW!

When the 3D version of the Optoma HD65 finally lands in the UK (and no, I don't work for them) I'm jumping right in. I can't wait.

Now that you mention Mario64. Can you run emulators in stereo 3d?

nib95

Banned
Ok, so as a graphic designer, the monitor is one of the most important aspects of my rig. Right now I'm using a HP LP2475, but was really looking to go up in size in future (S-IPS only) not down. So here are my questions.

Do you need a 3D LCD to do this, or will the 3D glasses suffice?

Is there a 24" version of this monitor?

How does the monitor compare, viewing angles, black levels and colour accuracy wise compared to the LP2475 or other similar priced S-IPS panels (such as the Dell or NEC)?

RayStorm

nib95 said:
Ok, so as a graphic designer, the monitor is one of the most important aspects of my rig. Right now I'm using a HP LP2475, but was really looking to go up in size in future (S-IPS only) not down. So here are my questions.

Then you'll have to wait for some time. Perhaps a long time, I'm afraid. Currently the 3d monitors available are all 22" an TN-panels.

Do you need a 3D LCD to do this, or will the 3D glasses suffice?

Yes, you need a special screen that accepts 120hz input signals.

Is there a 24" version of this monitor?

Not yet. Currently 3d capable displays are rather scarce. If you don't consider CRT-Monitors.

How does the monitor compare, viewing angles, black levels and colour accuracy wise compared to the LP2475 or other similar priced S-IPS panels (such as the Dell or NEC)?

Without knowing for sure, but going by the knowledge that it has a TN-panel: it'S probably a downgrade you wouldn't want to make.

Firestorm

What'd you have to do at PAX to win? The button matching game?

I tried them but they really came short of expectations. I think it was because of how they were calibrated. Tried them in the Capcom area in the RE5 closed booth.

Firestorm said:
I tried them but they really came short of expectations. I think it was because of how they were calibrated. Tried them in the Capcom area in the RE5 closed booth.
you can always set the distance between the two pictures with a wheel on the little black box. as a noob to this it's nicer to have the pictures fairly close together. the 3d effect is quite weak like this, and as you get used to it you'll set the pictures more and more out from each other increasing the 3d depth. if it's set all the way down the depth of the 3d is almost nonexistant, it's there but really weak. you didn't screw around with this thing at all on there? I usually set it at about half now, maybe a bit under half depending on the game.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Anastacio said:
Where can I buy the Optoma HD65 3D at the Internet? (not waiting for the UK release)

It's not available yet. Should be towards the back end of the year.

cyberheater

Anastacio said:
And btw, is it just a question before my Samsung 46" Serie 8 LEDTV (200hz) will be supported by the Nvidia 3D Vision?

No. You're tv has to be able to accept 120hz signals. Only a few do.

I am absolutely jumping on board with this when I build my PC. I hope old-school emulators get updated so, for instance, paralax backgrounds actually look like cardboard cutouts. I can only imagine Yoshi's Island in 3D.

Mithos

I'm guessing you can have as many glasses hooked up as you need?

Playing a game on a HDTV 40" and having friends looking might not be a good idea if you only can have 1 pair of glasses hooked up right?

That's a good question, actually - how would split screen be affected by this? I mean, aside from the horrible issue of effectively having to render from four viewpoints absolutely hammering the graphics output, but would the 3D elements not be sort of buggered a little bit if there's two of them right next to each other? Or would all the 3D elements basically end at the end of each "screen", like they do at the edge of the physical screen now?

Mithos said:
I'm guessing you can have as many glasses hooked up as you need?

Playing a game on a HDTV 40" and having friends looking might not be a good idea if you only can have 1 pair of glasses hooked up right?

Yes, you just hook up the sensor to the TV (or PC) and as many glasses as you like will all simply sync with the one sensor.

Did anyone try this with a 100hz CRT? I'm still on the fence, and I'm wondering if I should take the plunge with the bare minimum... should be pretty much the same as 120hz though, no?

Zeenbor

cyberheater said:
Now that you mention Mario64. Can you run emulators in stereo 3d?

Some can run in stereoscopic, some can't.

In order for 3D to work with emulators, the vertices need to be processed with through the video card driver.

Emulators for older 3D systems, like N64 and PSone, processed the vertices on the CPU (since they are emulating the functionality of the GPUs on the CPU).

I have been able to get Rez to run in SS3D on nullDC with a special vertex shader. I've also heard that PCSX2 can run in SS3D, but I haven't been able to get it to work.

I haven't personally tested this yet, but my understanding is that 3d Vision only supports dx9+. I think that will be a limiter when it comes to some emulators.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Yea, as I said earlier in this thread 3D does work with N64 emulators. At least the iZ3D drivers do. I would assume the Nvidia drivers would work as well.

The latest version of the Dolphin emulator finally has a working DX9 plugin so now some GameCube and Wii games can be played in 3D. Metroid Prime looks absolutely amazing in 3D. Retro's attention to detail in all the environments really pays off.

I haven't been able to get any of the PS1, PS2 or DC emulators to work yet.

Zeliard

This is so tempting. Only thing is I'm still on an 8800 GTX (with a non-clocked Q6600), and I'm not really looking to go with a vid card upgrade just yet. I'm wondering how feasible this would work with my system considering that 3D effectively halves your frames (as I understand it).

Alec

I bought a setup for this last month.

In short, don't get it. It's cool, but you eventually find yourself taking the glasses off for comfort reasons. Find a rich friend and just use his.

Zeliard

Alec said:
I bought a setup for this last month.

In short, don't get it. It's cool, but you eventually find yourself taking the glasses off for comfort reasons. Find a rich friend and just use his.

I usually wear contacts, but occasionally eyeglasses at home, so I don't think there would be any comfort issue. There are only three things that give me pause as far as jumping in right now, though they aren't trivial:

1) The entry price, since I also need the monitor
2) The impact on performance
3) The impact on the base visual quality (3D glasses tend to make things noticeably darker)

Firestorm

Joseph Merrick said:
you can always set the distance between the two pictures with a wheel on the little black box. as a noob to this it's nicer to have the pictures fairly close together. the 3d effect is quite weak like this, and as you get used to it you'll set the pictures more and more out from each other increasing the 3d depth. if it's set all the way down the depth of the 3d is almost nonexistant, it's there but really weak. you didn't screw around with this thing at all on there? I usually set it at about half now, maybe a bit under half depending on the game.
Well I really didn't know that. It was a demo station set up for people to try.

Do the settings change the weird shiny glimmer effect that the glasses had on the game? Everything seemed so metallic.

Firestorm said:
Well I really didn't know that. It was a demo station set up for people to try.

Do the settings change the weird shiny glimmer effect that the glasses had on the game? Everything seemed so metallic.
hehe. I understand.

don't know anything about any shiny glimmer effect though. never had that.

Zeenbor

VideoMan said:
Both Project64 and 1964 worked for me.

Both of those do not work with 3D Vision unfortunately. I even tried the new D3D plugin (Direct64).

If anyone did get PJ64/1964 to work with 3D Vision, speak up! :)

bee

maybe its because i'm totally new to 3d (maybe i used some cardboard 3d specs like 20 years ago i dunno) but this shit is completely incredible to me

almost every game i try looks fantastic, sure there are ones where u have to disable some effect or certain things look weird but for the most part it adds so much to games i'm loving it. not really seeing terrible performance either on a gtx260, still playing most maxed out with just turning down settings to 2xaa and 8xaf or so

not tried very many yet but heres a few -

avatar demo - hands down the best game in 3d by far, absolutely amazing 3d effect to me, the helicopter rotor blade comes out of the screen

resident evil 5 - walking through the town at the beginning the damn crows look really eerie, you can tell this game was made with 3d in mind and the cut scenes are stunning

practically any isometric game - torchlight for one looks really good and has no nvidia rating at all, just the mouse pointer looks a bit strange

iracing - looks like you can reach out and touch the dashboard and interior in the jetta tdi, oddly it makes it easier to judge corners with the depth perception

half life 2 ep2 - had to turn off hdr and i'll need to find the turn off crosshair command and enable the nvidia one. is only listed as good for those reasons i guess but it makes me wanna play through it again right now, little things like when alex puts her arm to shield her face from your torchlight and the dead ant lions on the ground both look very nice

i was already very happy with the switch to a 120hz lcd with the added smoothness and complete lack of screen tearing that brought but this just tops it off, couldn't be happier with my purchase

Gwanatu T

This really sounds incredible and makes me want an Nvidia card. Here's hoping the PS3 version of this technology turns out as well as this.

Ah i miss Wollan.

That said, is this Nvidia specific, or are ATI doing something? I havent been reading the thread, but I just wondered.

Pachimari

Now that you bumped the thread with no worthwhile information anyway, can someone who has the 3D Vision bring on more impressions in more games? I know I'm buying it next year when I build my new PC.

And the Nvidia 3D Vision isn't coming to the PlayStation 3. Sony will get their own shutter-glasses out to the masses.

Gwanatu T

Anastacio said:
Now that you bumped the thread with no worthwhile information anyway, can someone who has the 3D Vision bring on more impressions in more games? I know I'm buying it next year when I build my new PC.

And the Nvidia 3D Vision isn't coming to the PlayStation 3. Sony will get their own shutter-glasses out to the masses.

Ah I was thinking this was the same thing since it's an nvidia chip in the PS3. Shame. Oh well, maybe it'll be as good or close enough at least.

Oh and this is an nvidia only thing for the time being, kinda like Physx hardware acceleration.

Anastacio said:

I've played a few new pc games since my last review, so I'll give my impression on those. Since my last review, I moved from an 8800GT to a 275GTX. I'll post some performance info where applicable. Just for reference, my system:
C2D E8400
4GB Ram
EVGA 275GTX
I'm running all of my games at 1680x1050 @ 120hz. If I don't mention system settings, assume max settings.

Dragon Age
Fantastic. Haven't found a single issue with this game in 3d. Most games that play well with 3d still have a few minor issues. I haven't found any with Dragon Age. When you pan the camera all the way out to the overhead view, it feels like you're looking at a bunch of miniatures on a board. Which is awesome. I only play this game using the glasses now.

Red Faction Guerrilla
This one is good with 3d Vision, but not perfect. The biggest issue is the main character. Most games I have played where the player's avatar is really close to the camera tend to look a little jittery, just the character, not the entire scene. Red Faction has this problem. However, compared to most games with this issue, Red Faction is still totally playable in 3d. I got used to the jittery effect pretty quickly. Shadows also look a little odd, but I can't really put my finger on exactly what is wrong with them. I almost always use the glasses with this game now, but from time to time I need a break. With my 8800GT, this game was unplayable with 3d Vision. With the 275GTX, everything is maxed out with 4xAA and it runs perfectly smooth.

L4D2
Not a single issue. I'll reiterate what I said about L4D1 in my last impressions post: zombie games are made for 3d. When you've got a zombie charging you down and it looks like they are going to jump out of your monitor at you, it brings a new sense of urgency to loading up their skull with buckshot. In L4D1, I would occasionally get weird display issues when objects were highlighted (items you can pick up, team members in another room). I haven't had that problem yet in L4D2. I play this game full time with the glasses now.

Fallout 3
I've had this game since it first came out, but I just never bothered to try it with 3d Vision. My system had a tough time running it at mid-high settings without the glasses. I really didn't want to see how it would play with 3d Vision enabled. Since I got the 275GTX, I gave it a shot. I can now max everything out and it plays just fine with the glasses. The game looks great. This is another of the small handful of games that I have encountered no problems with in 3d. I'm playing this full time with the glasses now.

CoD World at War (revisited)
I talked about this one in my last impressions post, so I won't spend too much time on it. I'd just like to add that since moving to the 275GTX, the game went from barely playable at mid settings to totally playable with everything maxed out, except for AA. I still have to keep AA turned off to get a smooth frame rate in 3d. Like I said last time, this game plays great in 3d, except for aiming. 3d Vision replaces the in game cross hair with its own, it is not dead on. If you're in a tough fire fight where every shot counts, you're best bet is to turn off 3d Vision.

Out of curiosity, has anyone played Borderlands with 3d Vision?

pseudocaesar said:
That said, is this Nvidia specific, or are ATI doing something? I havent been reading the thread, but I just wondered.
This is an Nvidia thing. The glasses and drivers are made by Nvidia. Unfortunately, that means you have to have an Nvidia card to make it work. No mixing and matching.

bee

Fuel

one of the best 3d games i've played, game looks mediocre in normal mode but really comes to life in 3d the difference is huge, also when you slow to a stop and the driver does his idle animation the back half of his bike and the top half of his body is popping out of the screen by about 20cm, very nice indeed

Far cry 2

you have to turn a couple of things down but other than that its excellent, the car ride at the start is really weird when you look down and can see your body and the car interior, looks great. game has no crosshair to get in the way and overall its adds a lot to the experience and runs fine

dolphin emulator

didn't work at all with wind waker that i could tell, couple of screen in waverace had depth but it was pretty horrible, soul calibur 2 though worked quite nicely

streetfighter 4

its quite nice nothing special, you can see the characters have some depth and the stages also, not mind blowing though

Burnout paradise

i think i can safely say that any driving game is gonna be excellent from now on without even trying it, will be playing through this in 3d the whole time for sure

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Can't believe Wollan is still banned. Seems like a very long ban.

$600 is a lot, but if the monitor was at least 24" I would consider it... I do too much work to work on anything smaller.

Confusatron said:
This is an Nvidia thing. The glasses and drivers are made by Nvidia. Unfortunately, that means you have to have an Nvidia card to make it work. No mixing and matching.

Yeh thats not really what I meant. I know this is Nvidia only, but are ATI going to be implementing 3D into their range is what I meant.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Thunderbear said:
Can't believe Wollan is still banned. Seems like a very long ban.

$600 is a lot, but if the monitor was at least 24" I would consider it... I do too much work to work on anything smaller.

it is forever.

mclaren777

bee said:
i think i can safely say that any driving game is gonna be excellent from now on without even trying it, will be playing through this in 3d the whole time for sure
Have you tried this technology with Richard Burns Rally or rFactor yet?

jax (old)

Banned
this thread intrigued me.

how new is it? Do you absolutely need the 120htz? I think my living room tv can do it but I'd need to hook a pc up to it.

HD 3D gaming on a 56" tv...

Amazon.com: Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV with ...
Samsung's Series 6 marks the first appearance of TOC (Touch of Color) design in ... The fast response time, coupled with Samsung's Auto Motion Plus 120Hz ...
www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52A650-52-Inch.../B001413DF8 - Cached

baultista

Banned
Question about competitive multiplayer games:

Is there any noticeable advantage or disadvantage when using 3D vision?

I'd assume that it would be a combination of both.... things will appear to be closer (and thus more visible) to you in some cases, while in other cases the extra time it takes for your eyes to process what's going on could lead to a reactionary delay.

bee

Jax said:
this thread intrigued me.

how new is it? Do you absolutely need the 120htz? I think my living room tv can do it but I'd need to hook a pc up to it.

HD 3D gaming on a 56" tv...

Amazon.com: Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV with ...
Samsung's Series 6 marks the first appearance of TOC (Touch of Color) design in ... The fast response time, coupled with Samsung's Auto Motion Plus 120Hz ...
www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52A650-52-Inch.../B001413DF8 - Cached

won't work, see this http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Requirements.html

mclaren777 said:
Have you tried this technology with Richard Burns Rally or rFactor yet?

don't play rfactor anymore cos i find realfeel a complete pain but i have tried it in the gtr2 mod, the power and the glory 2.1 which uses the same engine

works really well no issues that i've noticed, not as good as in iracing though as the interiors are nowhere near as detailed with flat dashboards etc although it is nice to be able to see the hands and feet working

baultista said:
Question about competitive multiplayer games:

Is there any noticeable advantage or disadvantage when using 3D vision?

I'd assume that it would be a combination of both.... things will appear to be closer (and thus more visible) to you in some cases, while in other cases the extra time it takes for your eyes to process what's going on could lead to a reactionary delay.

I'd assume it would always be an advantage as you'd have superior depth perception, plus the monitor is still the same resolution so things wouldn't be more or less 'visible' depending on depth.

Top Bottom