• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Caayn

Help. I think that my EVGA 980ti SC is dying already.

When I use my 980ti on my 4K screen I get artifacts on it when playing games at 4K. And only with games, displaying other content (videos, images, etc) the image remains artifact free.

The strange thing is that it only happens when it renders the games at a 4K resolution. When I render it at 1920*1080 with bordeless fullscreen enabled (upscale) the image remains free of artifacts.

Here's a short video showing what I mean. It happens with different games not just the one in the video.

I've swapped HDMI cables and did a clean driver install (with DDU) but that didn't help.

When I use my 980ti on my 4K screen I get artifacts on it when playing games at 4K. And only with games, displaying other content (videos, images, etc) the image remains artifact free.

The strange thing is that it only happens when it renders the games at a 4K resolution. When I render it at 1920*1080 with bordeless fullscreen enabled (upscale) the image remains free of artifacts.

Here's a short video showing what I mean. It happens with different games not just the one in the video.

I've swapped HDMI cables and did a clean driver install (with DDU) but that didn't help.

Have you tried keeping it at 4k res but turning down the graphics features? Even a Ti is going to have issues with 4k and all the snazzy shit enabled, depending on the game.

Freiya

If it's not overclocked I'd rma the card. If it is overclocked you should try lowering it.

Caayn

Have you tried keeping it at 4k res but turning down the graphics features? Even a Ti is going to have issues with 4k and all the snazzy shit enabled, depending on the game.
I had the fps locked with Rivatuner to cap it at 30fps with a stable frametime. Removing this doesn't have any effect on the artifacts.

Lowering settings while running at 4K doesn't result in the artifacts disappearing. When I run something more demanding the artifacts aren't there, they only appear when I set the resolution to 4K.
If it's not overclocked I'd rma the card. If it is overclocked you should try lowering it.
None of my components are overclocked, all are running at factory stock speeds and cooled well below their thermal limits. (CPU doesn't reach 60°C and GPU stays under 80°C)

Rma'ing the card seems like the best option. Just want to make sure it's my GPU before I send it in.

Caayn

Just received a new card from EVGA. And so far so good. No longer do I see pink screen tears or other weird artifacts when playing in games at 4K through the HDMI port.

A nice bonus is that this replacement card seems to run cooler than my defect card.

diamount

Banned
I got the x34 predator, but my 970 wasn't cutting it anymore I the 3.5gb vram was capped a lot of the time. I got the amp extreme edition, very good card. Rarely goes above 65 degrees.

paskowitz

Just got the MSI G1. 1620 MHz core clock before needing apply any kind of voltage boost. This card is fucking badass.

970, 980 or 980 Ti. If it's Ti, that might be a record for that card, especially on air. Of that clock stable in games and benchmarks?

970, 980 or 980 Ti. If it's Ti, that might be a record for that card, especially on air. Of that clock stable in games and benchmarks?
980 Ti. Almost couldn't believe it when I booted up Unigine Heaven to benchmark it. I left it running for several hours and it never crashed. I don't even think I'm gonna add any voltage, more than happy with it how it is. It's got a 3600 MHz memory clock and scored somewhere around 2350 in the Heaven benchmark on ultra quality with extreme tesselation. It was def a lot of money to put down for a card but I couldn't be happier with it.

Smash88

Banned
Just got the MSI G1. 1620 MHz core clock before needing apply any kind of voltage boost. This card is fucking badass.

Is that boost clock? or normal clock? Because if you are getting a +500mhz core clock I call bullshit, no way will that be stable in the long run, especially with no voltage increase. I'm sorry, but you have to understand why I'm skeptical, not even professional OC teams get that with a 980Ti. Kingpin, and a few others are the only one I can think of that got something higher, with what I'm certain is their specially binned cards for their competition events.

980 Ti. Almost couldn't believe it when I booted up Unigine Heaven to benchmark it.

Indeed you shouldn't believe it because the Unigine benchmarks are not showing the real clocks.

Check your core clocks with MSI Afterburner.

Core clock as reported from Unigine Valley:
uniginejpusy.jpg

Real core clock from Afterburner:
afterburner66u6q.jpg

Smash88

Banned
Indeed you shouldn't believe it because the Unigine benchmarks are not showing the real clocks.

Check your core clocks with MSI Afterburner.

Core clock as reported from Unigine Valley:
uniginejpusy.jpg

Real core clock from Afterburner:
afterburner66u6q.jpg

Yeah I figured as much, no way to get that type of clock unless you bought the EVGA Kingpin, are part of a professional OC team, or through some sheer luck you got a good bin - which will never happen.

That's still a good clock nonetheless. I only managed a +140mhz core and +250mhz memory OC w/ +49mV on my 980Ti. You would still have an OC in the upper bracket of the 980Ti's.

Diancecht

I said fuck it and bit the bullet got myself a 980 TI with a i7 6700k. I don't have a 4K monitor but I like using DSR and I wasn't getting good framerates with my GTX 770 and i5 4690. Can't wait to play Witcher 3 with hairworks on!

Caayn

EVGA announces a "VR Edition" 980ti.

Techpowerup said:
EVGA announced its first "VR Ready" graphics card that comes with preparation for HMD VR headsets out of the box. The GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR Edition includes a 5.25-inch/3.5-inch front-panel that gives you a front-facing HDMI 2.0 port (letting you easily plug in your HMD), and a second mini-HDMI 2.0 port on the card's rear panel that helps with certain kinds of headsets. The front panel also throws in a couple of USB 3.0/3.1 ports with a standard USB 3.0 header that plugs into your motherboard. EVGA is offering two kinds of cooling solutions, ACX 2.0+ and a blower-type custom-design cooler. The GTX 980 Ti sticks to reference clock speeds.
http://www.techpowerup.com/219015/evga-readies-geforce-gtx-980-ti-vr-edition-graphics-card.html

https://twitter.com/TEAMEVGA/status/684828656686862336

CYEACKJUAAAoel2.jpg

AlanOC91

So hear me out guys.

Firstly, I have an 1000w Platinum Rated PSU so power shouldn't be an issue (I think?).

My current rig is the following:

- AMD FX8350 @ 4.8ghz
- 16 gb RAM
- Asus Strix OC'd 980ti
- asus 990fx R2.0 mobo

I usually get 50-60fp in all the games I play at 4k resolution (MGSV, GTAV, Witcher 3 (fps is a little lower) would be the most demanding games). I don't use AA in any of those games, I don't feel I need to.

Now I'm thinking of either getting a second 980ti or upgrading my CPU which then means I have to upgrade my motherboard. I don't think it will vastly improve my fps in 4k. Maybe it would in 1080p to 1440p.

What do you guys think? Would a second 980ti even be beneficial?

UnrealEck

Now I'm thinking of either getting a second 980ti or upgrading my CPU which then means I have to upgrade my motherboard. I don't think it will vastly improve my fps in 4k. Maybe it would in 1080p to 1440p.

What do you guys think? Would a second 980ti even be beneficial?

For 4K a second 980 Ti will vastly outweigh the performance increase you'd get from a new CPU. Even a 5960X.
Check it yourself. Check how much CPU usage your games are getting whilst your single 980 Ti is at 98-99%

AlanOC91

For 4K a second 980 Ti will vastly outweigh the performance increase you'd get from a new CPU. Even a 5960X.
Check it yourself. Check how much CPU usage your games are getting whilst your single 980 Ti is at 98-99%

I was thinking that. The only real indiactor I had was that when playing in 4k my CPU temps never rise above 50s but my GPU temps get much much higher as opposed to 1080p.

And I play almost exclusively in 4k now. I should check my CPU usage later.

Looks like a second 980ti is on the cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAXozj_Hjdg

This is the Unreal Engine 4 "A Boy and His Kite" demo shown at GDC 2015 running on my 980 Ti. I really don't think anyone expected people to run this demo in 4K on any 2015 video cards, the original target for the demo was Titan X running it at 1080p/30fps. I guess this is the best a single card can do right now until Pascal comes along.

gdt

So where is the best place to pick one of these up now? Amazon (I have prime)? Newegg?

And which is the version I should go for? EVGA? Gigabyte?

paskowitz

So where is the best place to pick one of these up now? Amazon (I have prime)? Newegg?

And which is the version I should go for? EVGA? Gigabyte?

Your best bet is to get the cheapest one available (or the one that matches your case aesthetic). If you can, I would wait until Nvidia releases details on their next generation GPU.

Ally1987

So, I just sold my Hybrid card, I couldn't stand the humm sound anymore.
Does anyone knows if the fans on EVGA 980 Ti SC+ stops spinning when idling and under at 60C?

holygeesus

Banned
Bump for this. Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent aftermarket cooler for this? Preferably air, or something simple to install.

Have started overclocking mine with the default MSI cooler for now - is there a recommended temperature range that I should be operating within? I have setup a custom fan curve, and keep it at a maximum of 77c when benching - is it OK to leave at this temp until I get my new cooler sorted? Gaming doesn't see it enter the 70s.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd have thought those temps would be totally fine. I thought the cooling on 980tis was generally good? Which specific model do you have?

holygeesus

Banned
I'd have thought those temps would be totally fine. I thought the cooling on 980tis was generally good? Which specific model do you have?

It's the MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti Armor 2X. It comes with a small overclock out of the box, but MSI cards tend to run pretty warm from what I'm reading. Am getting it passed 20k on Fire Strike now, which I'm pretty pleased with just on air.

Also is there a reason I can't disable my fans entirely using Afterburner? Using a custom fan it seems to bottom out at 32% and I can't go lower. I want them disabled completely for when idling but can't seem to set below this magical 32% figure. Strange.

Korezo

Is it possible to change the led color of the g1 980ti without using guru software? Installing that thing makes my pc take so long on start up, and if I change the color then uninstall leds go back to default on reboot.

Also why are the g1 980ti so loud? The g1 970s I had never got loud but the g1 980ti running the same game on the same setting always want to put the fans at 100% with the top card always running around 82 celsius. I never checked the temps on the 970s I had because noise was never a issue but these damn 980ti always want to go to 100% fan speed every damn time, so I checked with msi afterburner and its always fan speed 100% within seconds.

Top Bottom