• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

PFD

HOWEVER, this does not take into account noise. In which case the MSI Gaming 6G is the clear winner according to the majority of professional reviews.

Yup, my Gaming 6G is dead silent, even when downsampling from 4K or running menus with 1000+ FPS.

paskowitz

Yup, my Gaming 6G is dead silent, even when downsampling from 4K or running menus with 1000+ FPS.

I went from an MSI 980 Gaming 4G to an EVGA 980 ti Classified and the acoustic difference was night and day. Even at 100% fan speed the MSI was barely audible in my Define R4... meanwhile at the same RPM (EVGA can reach a crazy 3000rpm+) my EVGA sounds like a jet taking off. It isn't too bad at 50% fan speed but 70% is damn loud. The MSI has this nice soft tone.

Finally acquiring the last parts for my new rig but still haven't pinned down which 980 Ti to go with. I'm bouncing between the EVGA 980 Ti Classified and the MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G. The latter is currently OOS on Amazon though which makes the choice somewhat slightly easier at a glance.

From all that I've read over the past month one can't go wrong with either choice but I've seen many comments on the amazing silence of the MSI card.

paskowitz

Finally acquiring the last parts for my new rig but still haven't pinned down which 980 Ti to go with. I'm bouncing between the EVGA 980 Ti Classified and the MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G. The latter is currently OOS on Amazon though which makes the choice somewhat slightly easier at a glance.

From all that I've read over the past month one can't go wrong with either choice but I've seen many comments on the amazing silence of the MSI card.

If you have a very porous case and want to overclock, I would probably stay away from the Classified. I would also not recommend it if your case has restricted airflow. The higher noise is not really inferior design vs the MSI, the Classy fans go to over 3000rpm... 30-40% more than the MSI. That being said, the MSI is quieter at a given equal RPM. Don't discount the Gigabyte G1 Gaming either.

The advantages of the Classy are only evident when you start to get into overclocking. Dual bios, physical voltage monitoring port, 3K rpm fans for benching, more power phases and waterblock support. If none of those things interest you MSI and Gigabyte are better places for your money. I would also consider the Zotac AMP! EXTREME as it has the highest factory clock out of the box, if overclocking isn't your thing.

If you have a very porous case and want to overclock, I would probably stay away from the Classified. I would also not recommend it if your case has restricted airflow. The higher noise is not really inferior design vs the MSI, the Classy fans go to over 3000rpm... 30-40% more than the MSI. That being said, the MSI is quieter at a given equal RPM. Don't discount the Gigabyte G1 Gaming either.

The advantages of the Classy are only evident when you start to get into overclocking. Dual bios, physical voltage monitoring port, 3K rpm fans for benching, more power phases and waterblock support. If none of those things interest you MSI and Gigabyte are better places for your money. I would also consider the Zotac AMP! EXTREME as it has the highest factory clock out of the box, if overclocking isn't your thing.

The case I'm going with will have lots of airflow directly into the main chamber (it will look almost exactly like this).

I do plan on overclocking for certain games but nothing too extreme to the point where I'd use the waterblock.

2Shea

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm not looking to do any insane OCing, but the Classy is hard to pass up.

I'm really having a tough time deciding which to order at the moment. The noise level of the MSI 6G is incredibly hard to pass up, I just don't want to be looking at my purchase 6mo - 1yr from now and regret it.

Oemenia

Banned
Quick question, how much can the price of the GTX 950 fall? The card is a bit bigger than the GTX 750 Ti, will that mean it wont go as cheap?

paskowitz

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm not looking to do any insane OCing, but the Classy is hard to pass up.

I'm really having a tough time deciding which to order at the moment. The noise level of the MSI 6G is incredibly hard to pass up, I just don't want to be looking at my purchase 6mo - 1yr from now and regret it.

You will always regret your purchase 1 year out. Three is always new hardware that makes old hardware seem "obsolete". Unless you are gaming at 1440p/144hz or 4K/60hz, a 980ti will last you a looooooong time. Even 1440p should last a while.

The best thing to do is make your purchase and be happy. Also, don't forget, the 980ti should do pretty well on the used market in a year. When Pascal comes out, there are inevitable supply shortages (and price hikes) and it takes months to even get a shot at getting a card... there will be plenty of people looking for a 980ti.

Wag

FYI: Jet.com is selling a lot of different 980Tis pretty cheap after coupons and such. I picked up my 3rd EVGA ACX+ 2.0 (normal, non-supercharged) for $610 shipped. They shipped it, let's see if I get what I ordered...

Wag

I got the card. It came in a Newegg box, so... I'd say go with Jet.com for a good deal. I'd especially think you're safe with EVGA products because of their good RMA policy.

3 980Tis makes a huge difference in games like Witcher 3 @ 4k. I can finally play with all the settings maxed and it's smooooooth..... Really quick even. Amazing! 😄

dmr87

Asus Matrix, I'm guessing not cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqq6gJlKvtk
http://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/10/gtx-980-ti-matrix-impressions/

rd8b.jpg

sd8b.jpg

vd8b.jpg

wd8b.jpg

ud8b.jpg

paskowitz

Neat looking card, super happy with my Strix though, easily does 1500mhz as well.

As does every Maxwell card that hasn't lost the silicon lottery. No point in paying more than $700 for a 980 ti unless it is the KPE and you plan on using ln2 cooling.

desu

As does every Maxwell card that hasn't lost the silicon lottery. No point in paying more than $700 for a 980 ti unless it is the KPE and you plan on using ln2 cooling.

My second Strix was total garbage and I've seen more than enough people struggeling with 1500mhz (not that it really matters anyway 1450 or 1550 ...). Asus had a cash back programm here and I got the card with a huge discount to begin with, so best priced 980ti for me.

Ally1987

Guys, I can't seem to reach 20K+ in graphics point with my 980 Ti on Firestrike anymore? have any idea whats wrong? Now I only get about 12500

And also in Valley bench I used to get 90 in avg fps, but no I only get about 60 avg fps. My oc settings are the same as before and I haven't change anything.

Guys, I can't seem to reach 20K+ in graphics point with my 980 Ti on Firestrike anymore? have any idea whats wrong? Now I only get about 12500

And also in Valley bench I used to get 90 in avg fps, but no I only get about 60 avg fps. My oc settings are the same as before and I haven't change anything.

Monitor the card while it's running the benchmarks; look at speeds and temps; might be a clue there.

Ally1987

Monitor the card while it's running the benchmarks; look at speeds and temps; might be a clue there.

Everything looks alright there.

When benchmarking Valley in fullscreen mode I get avg fps 60, but if I benchmarking in window mode I get avg fps 98. So something is wrong here, but I don't know what?

Eirulan

Hi all,

I joined the 980ti club yesterday too :)
I exchanged my MSI 970 Gaming 4G for a MSI 980ti Gaming 6G.
I'm pretty happy with my results so far (20.200 graphics score in Firestrike).
But I have one problem with MSI Afterburner, which I did not have with the 970:
I cannot use the memory clock slider... If I change the value, e.g. to +100 and then click on "apply", it resets back to "0".
GPU clock and power target slider work... Any ideas..?

Hi all,

I joined the 980ti club yesterday too :)
I exchanged my MSI 970 Gaming 4G for a MSI 980ti Gaming 6G.
I'm pretty happy with my results so far (20.200 graphics score in Firestrike).
But I have one problem with MSI Afterburner, which I did not have with the 970:
I cannot use the memory clock slider... If I change the value, e.g. to +100 and then click on "apply", it resets back to "0".
GPU clock and power target slider work... Any ideas..?

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling MSI Afterburner? I find it to be wonky at times, re-installation always fixes it for me though.

Thanks! It was sett to on, I turned it off and now everything is back to normal again

I suggest you put it to "Use the 3D Program Settings" or whatever. That way you can control VSync separately in separate games. Settings it to On or Off in the control panel settings will override the in-game settings to whatever you set it to in the control panel.

Eirulan

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling MSI Afterburner? I find it to be wonky at times, re-installation always fixes it for me though.

Thanks again for the hint, it worked!
Deinstalled both Afterburner and Riva Tuner Statistics Server, rebooted, re-installed both.
Now the slider works.

I'm able to run the card at 1494 core (+140) and 3900 mem (+400) stable, no artifacts, 74°C max.

Getting 20.975 Graphics score:
d35yqg5pws55tjc87.jpg

Seems fine to me :)

So I just got an Asus Strix 980 Ti non-OC version and did the benchmark. Decent results, but when I get to the physics test the frame rate tanks hard and the score is poor. My CPU is an i5 2320 (3.0GHz), will this become a bottleneck later on?

It told me I would get the "Brawn" achievement if I had bought 3Dmark (I used the demo) so I'm guessing that is the case here.

Here it is: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6296110

So I just got an Asus Strix 980 Ti non-OC version and did the benchmark. Decent results, but when I get to the physics test the frame rate tanks hard and the score is poor. My CPU is an i5 2320 (3.0GHz), will this become a bottleneck later on?

It told me I would get the "Brawn" achievement if I had bought 3Dmark (I used the demo) so I'm guessing that is the case here.

Here it is: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6296110

Processor should be fine for a while. I play GTA V, MGS 5, Witcher 3 on 3440x1440 with a 2600k. If you want max performance, create an aggressive fan profile and try OC'ing the card.

KoolKing

Is there any noticeable difference between this EVGA 980ti and this Giabyte G1 gaming 980ti?

I see more people in here getting G1s and the price is roughly the same but the dimensions are a bit larger and I'm concerned with fitting too much into my chosen case (a Fractal R5).

Is there any noticeable difference between this EVGA 980ti and this Giabyte G1 gaming 980ti?

I see more people in here getting G1s and the price is roughly the same but the dimensions are a bit larger and I'm concerned with fitting too much into my chosen case (a Fractal R5).

g1 is longer/bigger but has a much better cooler. make sure it will fit your case before you buy it. its is quite long.

Thanks again for the hint, it worked!
Deinstalled both Afterburner and Riva Tuner Statistics Server, rebooted, re-installed both.
Now the slider works.

I'm able to run the card at 1494 core (+140) and 3900 mem (+400) stable, no artifacts, 74°C max.

Getting 20.975 Graphics score:
d35yqg5pws55tjc87.jpg

Seems fine to me :)

Cheers.

Processor should be fine for a while. I play GTA V, MGS 5, Witcher 3 on 3440x1440 with a 2600k. If you want max performance, create an aggressive fan profile and try OC'ing the card.

CPUs seem to be just as expensive today as they were three years ago so I'm glad to hear I don't have to upgrade. Damn Intel monopoly.

vakarian32

Just ordered myself the Asus Strix 980 Ti :) Since I moved up to 1440p a few months ago my old GTX 680 has just been struggling in some newer games, figured I'll get ready for Fallout 4 and Battlefront soon!

Question is which free game do I pick, AC Syndicate or RB6 Siege?

Just ordered myself the Asus Strix 980 Ti :) Since I moved up to 1440p a few months ago my old GTX 680 has just been struggling in some newer games, figured I'll get ready for Fallout 4 and Battlefront soon!

Question is which free game do I pick, AC Syndicate or RB6 Siege?

AC Syndicate. Most people are being quite positive about that game, and Rainbow Six Siege is a multiplayer-only game that is doomed to failure.

paskowitz

Hey does anybody else have the EVGA 980Ti Classified? And if so, does it overclock for shit?

This good enough? (I am running a custom loop though... aaaand that clock doesn't pass 100% of the time in FS)

Honestly though, it really depends on the silicon lottery. An unlucky Classy will perform worse than a golden reference card 100% of the time. The only (all else being equal) benefit from non reference is looks, acoustics, and thermal performance. In addition, higher clocks rarely make a big difference the higher you go in resolution. The difference between 1400mhz and 1550mhz at 4K is like 2-5fps (Can't find the YouTube video, but this is well documented). At 1080-1440p you will see a difference, but then you have to ask, is that really worth the extra heat and noise (hence waterblock)?

All Maxwell cards respond poorly to voltage and are primarily performance capped by temps. If you can't get things to 20c then voltage is almost useless. As a result, the silicon lottery plays a bigger part than actual chip design. A perfect example of this is MSI's latest 980 Ti Lightning. Some samples can't even hit 1500Mhz despite all the "engineering". On the subject, I find it crazy that NO reviewer of GPUs seems to go over this. Most of the time a card's "performance" is attributed to the "amazing work X manufacturer did" and not luck of the draw (this hasn't always been true in previous generations).

The best thing you can do is get a 980 Ti like the EVGA Hybrid. Low noise, heat, small form factor, blower/rad cooling so all heat goes out of your case, great for SLI, etc. With that card you are basically doing everything possible to maximize your overall performance out of the box.

Arkanius

980 Ti owners

I can manage to buy a MSI 980 Ti Gaming for 538€ right now
I'm upgrading from a 280X, I was trying to hold out until Pascal, but this deal seems way too good to pass it up.

I'm gaming at 1440p, and I never use AA, do you guys think I can manage for 1-2 years until Volta at least? (And hoping the DX12 impact will not be big)

paskowitz

980 Ti owners

I can manage to buy a MSI 980 Ti Gaming for 538€ right now
I'm upgrading from a 280X, I was trying to hold out until Pascal, but this deal seems way too good to pass it up.

I'm gaming at 1440p, and I never use AA, do you guys think I can manage for 1-2 years until Volta at least? (And hoping the DX12 impact will not be big)

The Pascal 980 Ti equivalent is a ways off, Volta even further. Don't forget, you can always sell your 980 Ti when there is a 1080 Ti. IMO this isn't a terrible strategy, especially if you are purchasing your 980 Ti on sale. Assume the 980 Ti will be worth about $300-350 and the 1080 Ti will cost ~$650. Since you are currently gaming at 1440p and a 280X is not even close to enough to drive consistent 60fps frame rates, I would go for the 980 Ti now. Whatever you spent on that monitor is being wasted otherwise.

Top Bottom