• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA DirectX 12.1 tech demo - Mech Ti

viveks86

HRTS_With_PCSS3.jpg

Mmmmm...

Yes, but it's *lighting* from the rocket don't cast shadows. There is only 1 lightsource in that scene that casts shadows. There should be many light sources for each of the rockets firing off.

Deja vu! You really like your shadows don't you? ;)

tuxfool

Banned
Deja vu! You really like your shadows don't you? ;)

TBH, I see he has a point. You have a tech demo (which looks like it is dropping frames all over the place), that doesn't get the basics right. They make a great deal of hoo-hah over their ray traced shadows (which do look nice), when we should be focusing on having more shadow casting lights.

Also beyond lighting up the smoke, in this demo I didn't get the sense that it was massively visually superior to sprite based smoke. They didn't do a good job of showing the interaction with smoke either.

Karanlos

Nice effects but the smoke isn't high res enough and needs turbulence. Also the tearing and frame drops makes it look like these things aren't ready for prime time in the near future with a simple scene like that.

viveks86

TBH, I see he has a point. You have a tech demo (which looks like it is dropping frames all over the place), that doesn't get the basics right. They make a great deal of hoo-hah over their ray traced shadows (which do look nice), when we should be focusing on having more shadow casting lights.

Also beyond lighting up the smoke, in this demo I didn't get the sense that it was massively visually superior to sprite based smoke. They didn't do a good job of showing the interaction with smoke either.

Oh I see his point too. Just pulling his leg because I immediately remembered something quite similar he said on the Nvidia Arkham Knight trailer thread :D

You didn't see it dropping frames and tearing everywhere?
I mean I saw it dropping frames and screen tear (NV running a non-Gsync monitor demo is just odd), but we actually have no idea what resolution or IQ settings this is running at. And I can imagine that the volumetric smoke is probably running at very high cvar settings.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The shadows are nice for sure, as are the reflections I suppose, but overall I didn't find that very impressive. Especially given the performance hit.

MaLDo

I mean I saw it dropping frames and screen tear (NV running a non-Gsync monitor demo is just odd), but we actually have no idea what resolution or IQ settings this is running at. And I can imagine that the volumetric smoke is probably running at very high cvar settings.

How can you put a vsync off footage perfectly fine from a gsync monitor on a constant framerate YouTube video for your non variable refreshrate monitor?

Gsync footage will have tearing and drops no matter what.

KKRT00

But all lights cast shadows in this demo.

----

Don't count on that shadowing technique that much. It is really useless now:

4YeiLE6.png
Still would great addition for biggest lighting in environment. Definitely awesome for cutscenes.

How can you put a vsync off footage perfectly fine from a gsync monitor on a constant framerate YouTube video for your non variable refreshrate monitor?

Gsync footage will have tearing and drops no matter what.
lol, good point
Don't count on that shadowing technique that much. It is really useless now:

4YeiLE6.png
Kinda useful for hero characters or objects closest to the camera. Ryse tried to do something similar originally and then scrapped it (no raytracing though). It would also be very good for first person weapons or FPS character shadows.

R_Deckard

Must admit..very disappointing. Ran really poor and looked very rushed and no where near useable in interactive form in its current state.

Aside RT Shadows with softening it all looked "clunky" like it was made to a deadline..a short one.

Calabi

If they want to emulate cameras and muddy up the image surely adding iso noise would work better than chromatic abberation.

"Let's bring back one of the worst artifacts from 1980's VHS in 4K resolution on all your latest PC games."

Chromatic Abberation's yo.

Durante

The first thing I noticed wasn't the shadows (which are nice), it was the lighting/shading on the smoke. Looked far superior to anything I've seen in any game (and probably will remain so for the next 5 years, sadly).

The first thing I noticed wasn't the shadows (which are nice), it was the lighting/shading on the smoke. Looked far superior to anything I've seen in any game (and probably will remain so for the next 5 years, sadly).

Wait for it...

wait for it!

Star Citizen Graphics Lead said:
We’ve also started on one of the largest visual tech features we’ll be developing in the next six months which is a fully volumetric gas shader. The intention is to use this shader for both massive gas clouds to bring our space environments to life, and also smaller vfx like smoke and explosions. Rendering large semi-transparent volumes with real-time lighting is a significant challenge and is rarely tackled in computer games other than perhaps more limited solutions for cloud shaders in flight sims. As a result there are many aspects to this tech we’ll need to research separately such as the building/placement of the volumes, the complex shape and movement, the light scattering and shadowing, and efficient rendering. So far we’re concentrating on the first two of these, but we’ll keep the backers updated.

Star Citizen Graphics Lead said:
We’ve been continuing our work on the volumetric gas shader and we’re at a point where the artists and level designers can start to ‘white box’ their level with the shapes of these gas clouds. They can do this by creating a simple mesh defining the overall shape and the code then turns this into a fluffy gas cloud by adding all the complexity to the broad shape, and this frees the artists from modelling minute details on the gas clouds. The next stage will be to start work on the lighting and shadows which is the most complex part of volumetric rendering.

THERE IT IS!

Durante

I forgot about SC.

If anyone is insane enough to do this in a production game in the near future, it's them. Love it!

Wait for it...

wait for it!

THERE IT IS!

This is neat, I guess.. I'd be curious how many samples they will include in the volume and then how will they handle the ships intersecting with the volume particles and handling the alpha coverage. I would imagine overdraw would be terribly high (worse than what we are seeing with alpha cards for foliage in W3). Will the noise that makes the cloud pattern be completely procedural or baked? Etc.. etc..

MaLDo

I forgot about SC.

If anyone is insane enough to do this in a production game in the near future, it's them. Love it!

There is a part on the Arkham Knight nvidia gameworks video where smoke interaction/shaders are really good and way beyond previous Arkham games. It's when player launch a batarang to the floor. Is nearer to this 12.1 demo than old 2D particle based physx smoke simulations.

Top Bottom