• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia FAST Sync, what pc gamers have needed for decades

dogen

Interesting, so there's no way to set an arbitrary ceiling yourself at say 120fps, or 80% GPU load, or what have you? I'd rather keep GPU load at or below 90% outside of benchmarks.

I'll try setting the power limit to 90% via MSI Afterburner and see what happens. :p

You might be able to cap the framerate with msi afterburner. It was reporting framerates above 60 for me with fast sync enabled.

edit - Yeah, looks like you can but unless it's set all the way to 120 it ends up sticking around 62-63.

ghibli99

Looking forward to giving this a try. It'll be nice to have it handled at the driver level for any game on pretty much any display (if I'm understanding this correctly).

dogen

Looking forward to giving this a try. It'll be nice to have it handled at the driver level for any game on pretty much any display (if I'm understanding this correctly).

So far it doesn't seem to work in opengl, and I tried a bunch of games. DX9 and DX11 work though.

I'm so confused on this. I just bought a 1070 so I'm trying to get things set up for the least amount of input lag with absolutely no tearing. I typically always used Vsync in the past because I cannot stand tearing. Should I make the move to always using Fast Sync instead?

What's the downside when playing games that perform under my monitor refresh rate (60hz since I game on a TV)? The image only tears when the framerate is higher than the refresh rate right?

The problem with fastsync for me is that frame pacing doesn't seem perfect. I'm very sensitive to it, which is why I always employ vsync and a 60fps rivatuner cap. With just fastsync I can feel the microstuttter or uneveness I'm the frame pacing. Until that's fixed I don't see myself using it a lot.

PFD

Is this feature supported on the 980Ti? And if so, how do I turn it on?

Can't find it in the NV control panel (latest drivers)

LCGeek

formerly sane
The problem with fastsync for me is that frame pacing doesn't seem perfect. I'm very sensitive to it, which is why I always employ vsync and a 60fps rivatuner cap. With just fastsync I can feel the microstuttter or uneveness I'm the frame pacing. Until that's fixed I don't see myself using it a lot.

Frame pacing is rarely perfection if other aspects of windows are off, even with the programs you use. You have a placebo effect that when you turn off a smoothng feature you see what things are really like. With latency mon even using rivatuner you can always see the OS losing it resilency for random reasons over any decent gaming period. Using your method masks how unsmooth the OS really is. There's no fixing your problem short of a few miracles that nvidia wouldn't be responsible for.

As for the topic I easily welcome this on top of lightboost. I really love vsync hate the input lag. Whatever input lag increase it is don't care of for it considering at best using Lightboost at 100-120hz which is about 1-2ms of pixel persistence I'm able to track and keep my dpi settings the same. I don't feel it's even any where as worse than if I were to enable vsync or my hpet timers bios+os. Nvidia really does make nice improvements at times.

Vipu

Banned
I dont really understand this fastsync.
If its ONLY for very high framerates then whats the point of it?
You dont see tearing at those 200fps anyway.

But I guess its good to have all kind of options.

Why do people say double buffered v-sync *always* introduces lag?

j1RySMH.png

My experience with fast sync is that it stutters.

Doom on G-Sync frequently uses more than 144fps so it would be nice if fast sync wouldn't stutter because it's noticeable, as is the input lag vsync gives. Guess the tearing is the best option here.

dr_rus

My experience with fast sync is that it stutters.

Doom on G-Sync frequently uses more than 144fps so it would be nice if fast sync wouldn't stutter because it's noticeable, as is the input lag vsync gives. Guess the tearing is the best option here.

Fast Sync is meant to be used only when a game is outputting more than twice of your display refresh rate. It will stutter otherwise.

Fast Sync is meant to be used only when a game is outputting more than twice of your display refresh rate. It will stutter otherwise.

So what is the best way to avoid tearing/stutter/input lag on g-sync when sometimes a game goes over 144hz?

Edit: In CS:GO, I get 240fps without vsync (and with G-Sync). When I put vsync on "fast" my fps is still 240fps, but g-sync states that my refresh is around 130hz. Is this how it is supposed to work?

To be honest; I don't really see any tearing anymore since I got my 144hz screen when fps goes over 144.

dr_rus

So what is the best way to avoid tearing/stutter/input lag on g-sync when sometimes a game goes over 144hz?

Edit: In CS:GO, I get 240fps without vsync (and with G-Sync). When I put vsync on "fast" my fps is still 240fps, but g-sync states that my refresh is around 130hz. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Well, the best way would probably be to limit your fps on some 140 number for it to never go above the gsync range. Or use fast sync and live with stutters. I don't know what gsync should show when fast sync is enabled so can't help you here.

This is fantastic. I generally game with the the enthusiast card and don't really care about super high refresh rates. This is something I can be excited about

Apparently I missed this announcement. Couple questions, would I be right in my assumption that this would be good for situations where I'm just dipping under 60 occasionally so as to free up that last bit of power to maintain 60? Other question was is this out yet and are the Nvidia drivers still very hit and miss as they were not too long ago?

Well, the best way would probably be to limit your fps on some 140 number for it to never go above the gsync range. Or use fast sync and live with stutters. I don't know what gsync should show when fast sync is enabled so can't help you here.

Well it seems that g-sync recognizes fast sync in the sense that the game engine can render 200+ fps, but the monitor refreshes below the 144 cap. So somehow there is no input lag and there is also no tearing, but game logic renders at high fps. At least for me.

Some games stutter, some don't.

CS:GO: renders 240fps. Monitor refreshes at 139.
Unreal tournament 3: Renders at 290fps. Monitor refreshes at 139.

And NO tearing. So my guess is that when you enable fast sync on a g-sync compatible monitor it locks the refresh rate to 139fps so it can easily pick new frames from the buffer or something and still have room to increase the refresh rate if something goes wrong.

Edit2: Fast sync appeared in my control panel after installing the no mans sky game ready driver and plugging in a Gsync monitor. I have a 970gtx. I thought this tech only worked on pascal?

Jonbo298

Edit2: Fast sync appeared in my control panel after installing the no mans sky game ready driver and plugging in a Gsync monitor. I have a 970gtx. I thought this tech only worked on pascal?

They stealth-enabled it for Maxwell in the new driver (I think support for further back generations is still coming last I knew). I also just noticed while getting NMS settings applied again (clean install) they enabled Fast Sync when multiple monitors are being used, finally.

I have disabled fast sync again. In civilisation it g e a lot of stuttering.

Also interesting; on 144hz cub was stuttering all the time when scrolling the map. Even at 80 Fps, but with a max refresh of 120hz the game was smooth, even at 80. Weird. Beyond Earth has the exact same issue.

Ut3, dirty bomb, csgo are all smooth with fast sync.

Ut2k4 seems to have mandatory vsync enabled, which seems strange for such a fast paced game.

I thought with g sync on and nvidia v sync on and game v sync off you got low latency anyway because of the g sync.

what benefit is fast sync if your running g sync on.

To be honest; I don't really see any tearing anymore since I got my 144hz screen when fps goes over 144.

That's a Source engine thing. You don't need Gsync or fast sync or any sync for CS:GO. All it does is add lag.

Turned on Fast Sync for CS:GO and played a round of deathmatch (since that one would let me play quickly)

The difference was night and day compared to vsync on and off! The action no longer visibly lags (or, indeed, lag at all) compared to my mouse movement; and it never tore frames!

I guess I'm getting a lot of benefit since my monitor was just a standard 1080p IPS monitor that tops out at 60 Hz - I actually just recently changed my monitor into a HP 22es (it's actually really great for its price) as my old monitor started to give me dark columns smack dab in the middle of the display, while CS:GO was averaging over 240 FPS during play with vsync off, even with maxed out settings and anti-aliasing, on a GTX 970.

well I've just updated to nvidia's latest drivers and I can't see fast sync, just on or off for v sync.

according to this thread multiple gpus support it, but apparently it is just the 1070 and 1080.

Seems that it's just for Pascal according to the 1080 white paper? Unless the driver allows it to work on others.

And since the thread got a little bump.

Based on what I read, I'm pretty dumb though, it looks like the difference between it and vsync is vsync forces the game to wait so it can buffer the frames before they are sent to the display. Fast sync somehow picks and chooses what frame to keep in the back buffer while storing all fully rendered frames in a third buffer, maybe, I guess.

So I'd imagine any game that can run at a fast enough frame rate to give Pascal a pool of at least 1 fully rendered frame in the third buffer should benefit from fast sync. Although, the white paper says dx9 games are the ones that get the most advantage. So if imagine if your display is 60hz and you can get the frame rate at 63 or something you should see a benefit, maybe.

I dunno.

I got a try it out.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This is huge, can't wait for it to be implanted.

CHC

From my experience Fast Sync has been GREAT for games with really, really persistent mouse lag, like Alien Isolation or Deus Ex Human Revolution.

It's been not-so-great for games with stuttering that can stem from framerate fluctuations. I've experienced this in titles like Assassin's Creed Black Flag and The Witcher III. In those cases, I've had a generally smoother feeling experience with regular old v-sync.

From my experience Fast Sync has been GREAT for games with really, really persistent mouse lag, like Alien Isolation or Deus Ex Human Revolution.

It's been not-so-great for games with stuttering that can stem from framerate fluctuations. I've experienced this in titles like Assassin's Creed Black Flag and The Witcher III. In those cases, I've had a generally smoother feeling experience with regular old v-sync.

I tested it out in tr 2013. At 80 to 110 fps, current settings, I do notice some very light stutter when panning the camera around. Regular v-sync I don't get that, but the game does feel more responsive with fast sync.

I haven't tested anything else, but I need to try some older dx9 games and see how they do.

Although Fast Sync is nice to have, one does have to be careful. This Fast Sync in Maxwell + a lot of other improvements driver is a new branch; I've noticed some show-stopping issues that is forcing me to temporarily go back to the previous version after filing bug reports, although they mostly involved Elder Scrolls Oblivion. (The game's HDR and shadow rendering is broken in the Fast Sync for Maxwell driver.)

I think it's pretty nice, to be honest - NVIDIA enabling anyone with any monitor to have a tear-free, almost lag-free experience on games where latency matters a lot.

Hang on, does Fast Sync work with No Man's Sky? I had it turned on at launch but it didn't seem to work. I assumed it was because NMS is OpenGL and Fast Sync does not work with OpenGL (I've seen this in Doom, too).

In games where it does work, Fast Sync is best paired with a hard framerate cap in RTSS. My frametime graph is extremely smooth with Fast Sync and a 60 FPS cap in RTSS.

So I have a 1070 and a regular ass 1080p 60hz monitor, would this be recommended as opposed to regular vsync? Do all I have to do is turn it on in the Nvidia control panel and turn off vsync in game?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So I have a 1070 and a regular ass 1080p 60hz monitor, would this be recommended as opposed to regular vsync? Do all I have to do is turn it on in the Nvidia control panel and turn off vsync in game?

Would definitely appear so, all the benefits of VSync with only a tiny fraction of the regular input delay.

I've heard that it depends on if your frame rate (frame time) stays above (below) double your refresh rate FPS (1000 ms divided by (2 times monitor refresh rate)) most of the time; a frame rate that is too uncomfortably low might cause animation judder. Best to try and compare with the "triple-buffered" vsync option with each and every game you can get your hands on; it's kind of case-by-case. Fast Sync tends to work best in games that are already churning out extremely high FPS/extremely low frame times on mainstream and high-end graphics cards, like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, and maybe Overwatch. I'm not sure if it might still work well if you're maintaining at least the refresh rate's worth of FPS, though.

That should be the case assuming it's a DirectX game (not sure about 12, but 9 thru 11 should for the most part.)

Sioen

So it's best to use gsync with a custom fps limiter instead of gsync and vsync on in the nvidia control panel?

mhayze

Just a question - are people noticing tearing with g-sync on and fps > 120 (for 120hz+ g-sync monitors)? I have my g-sync rate at 120, and I can't remember being bothered by tearing.

The way fast sync works, it needs to essentially triple buffer (minus the frame limiting once the last buffer is full) all the time, so it always adds a constant 1000/frame rate lag (8ms @ 120hz) even under the max frame rate. - someone correct my with direct links if I'm wrong about this, please. I would leave it off unless you notice tearing.

Black Hat

I had massive tearing in Overwatch on my 60Hz monitor with my 1070.

Averaging around 140-150 fps and tearing like crazy.

Fast Sync on limits it to 120fps and input lag is not even noticeable. No tearing.

Awesome.

M_A_C

I finally got around to enabling this on my 780ti. Works wonderfully so far on BF1 beta. Makes a bit difference in visual quality!

Man overwatch looks great too. I didn't even know how much I missed sync. I play on a 65 inch plasma too so it's very noticeable and gsync obviously isn't an option.

I've been using this on everything now that I have a gtx 1070, it shreds older games and vsync was adding tons of latency so enabling fast sync has been a great option, no noticible latency and no tearing during insane fps lol!

Demigod Mac

Enabled it in Overwatch but there's noticeable, annoying, constant microstutter. The game is locked at 60 otherwise no matter how hectic things get.
Does this mean though the framerate is well above 60, it's still not high enough above 60 to eliminate the microstutter?

forms

Did anyone say input lag? Clearly, less than one frame is too much.

That bullshit aside, interested in seeing how this performs live.

M_A_C

Enabled it in Overwatch but there's noticeable, annoying, constant microstutter. The game is locked at 60 otherwise no matter how hectic things get.
Does this mean though the framerate is well above 60, it's still not high enough above 60 to eliminate the microstutter?

I don't see it in overwatch. GTA V does stutter quite a bit tho.

You have the framerate limiter to 300 and in game vsync off?

Top Bottom