• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

demigod

Boy I got lucky as FUCK!!!

The prices are jumping around like crazy for these 1080 cards.

I got this card......

I'm sorry but that's not lucky at all. For $30 more you could've gotten the Zotac Extreme. For $50 less you could've gotten a Gigabyte G1. Either way, congrats on your card, i just hope your case has good airflow.

So I got lucky and got a waterforce coming on Monday. Apparently newegg only got 30 in last week. Shitty thing is I paid for overnight and it shipped Friday but newegg is too cheap to do Saturday delivery. They did give me a $25 refund on the shipping. My Gigabyte Xtreme that was back ordered before I got the waterforce is also coming next week. Not sure if I should keep it, sell it, or refuse the package. Thinkin about keeping it and just do SLI.

I heard there's no more microstutter with SLI or its not really noticeable like before. Anyone with 2 1080s and the new SLI HB bridge can comment?

Should all reference boards hit 120% power target?

I have a Seahawk (1x8pin) and it is only allowing me to go 105% power target. I am overclocking to 2125 without issue, and it is rock solid in all games, never moves, but I am able to get to 2205 if I turn it up after a game/benchmark is started. It runs stable and no issues after the game is actually started. I am just wondering if there is a way to get afterburner to go past 105, as I thought all the reference boards were 120%.

The good thing is I finally got my 1080 FTW.

The bad thing is I didn't win the silicon lottery.

The verdict is that I can at least boost to 2000+MHz; it starts crashing at 2088 (80+MHz offset in Precision X). I haven't messed around with Voltage, and the fan curve is a "safe" one below 70%, but I doubt that I can get much higher stable clocks that work on the majority of games.

I wish I can dabble in water cooling, but I don't have the time and resources to mess around with something that requires maintenance and extra care. Having to use courier services and wait days for international shipping is an issue with RMA/getting new parts quickly; I remember feeling stuck when my PC didn't power at all (had to buy a new PSU and motherboard to be safe).

MaDKaT

Should all reference boards hit 120% power target?

I have a Seahawk (1x8pin) and it is only allowing me to go 105% power target. I am overclocking to 2125 without issue, and it is rock solid in all games, never moves, but I am able to get to 2205 if I turn it up after a game/benchmark is started. It runs stable and no issues after the game is actually started. I am just wondering if there is a way to get afterburner to go past 105, as I thought all the reference boards were 120%.

I noticed that as well. 105% max Looking around I haven't found much specific to the 1080. Stopped my OC at 2150 I think and seems rock solid and cool. Kind of curious about core voltage though, some say to run at 100% some less. Currently at 85 myself and don't see any adverse affects.

I noticed that as well. 105% max Looking around I haven't found much specific to the 1080. Stopped my OC at 2150 I think and seems rock solid and cool. Kind of curious about core voltage though, some say to run at 100% some less. Currently at 85 myself and don't see any adverse affects.

Hey thanks. I had the EVGA SC before it, which is the same board and got 120 power target. I know for the cards with multiple pins that was reduced to 105 because of the extra power inputs. I'm running the same OC as you, so I can't complain too much. It's a killer OC for this card, especially that it doesn't move at all, which a lot of the 1080s will back themselves down.

My voltage isn't unlocked in Afterburner, but I was hoping there was some way I could get that 2.2ghz. Like I said, it runs in benchmarks and games if I increase it after the program has been loaded, not sure if the voltage would help stabilize it or not.

MaDKaT

Seems like it will push further and I may try eventually. Watched benchmarks for a few hours as we played in VR and boosts seemed good. Temps are more surprising. So used to my 390 hitting 80+C with a hybrid cooler and this card hovers under 60C at 2100+. Very pleased.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
what have i done
20160718_121902hxs40.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My buddy ordered three 1080s total - two for his main gaming rig, and another for his brother. He doesn't necessarily need the third anytime soon, so he let me have his; and he just said I can give him mine from Amazon whenever it eventually arrives (which I'm hoping for sometime in 2019 or 2020 at this point).

Replaced my original Titan with it.

28096990550_6717c39e88_b.jpg

28096990030_6219c677d2_b.jpg

28096989670_a1b13ba309_b.jpg

28096990360_ef5118f683_b.jpg

Played a few games with it at stock clocks, and it's absolutely a very solid upgrade from my Titan - feel like it was the perfect time to upgrade. My last card just straight-up couldn't handle 1440p on most games if I wanted to play high settings.

That said, it isn't quite as impressive as I was hoping.

Playing on an Asus 165hz G-Sync IPS monitor. Overwatch, max settings, max AA, I was getting about 120-140fps. Dips here and there, but never below triple digits. Looks great, plays great, and a very nice jump from the 60-90fps I was getting at high setting as 1x MSAA on the Titan.

Rainbow 6 Siege is still a dog. I just don't get it, cause it's not much a looker. Max settings, and max AA, it drops to 40fps quite a bit. Very disappointing. Turning off AA, it hovers around ~80-90fps at max settings... but holy hell does it need AA. And even with the max AA on, it's a jaggy mess. This engine just doesn't scale well on the high end.

Witcher 3, though, was a monumental difference. Last time I played it, I was at 1080p. At medium/high settings and none of the fancy things like hairworks on, I got 40-60fps with the lowest level of AA. But now, with every.single.setting maxed out, including max AA, I'm getting ~50-60fps, and it just looks leaps and bounds better, now. Incredible. The AA helps immensely. Everything is just so much sharper. And with G-sync, it feels so much smoother. Seriously, this feels like a different game. Witcher 2 was one of my favorite games ever, and I never got more than 10 hours into the third entry. But you know what, I may just restart this game now and give it another shot.

Battlefield 4 ran fantastic. Everything maxed. Max AA. 100+ FPS and a hell of a looker. A few dips into the 80s-90s.

Gotta say, though, this is still very much a 1440p card. I'm VERY eager for the eventual 100+hz 4K monitors, and we all know they're around the corner. But as it is, my buddy had triple SLI Titan Xs, and he couldn't get a constant 60fps in most games at 4k. With two of these, I think we're going to be VERY close - but with a single card? Nope, just isn't going to happen. I don't think this is gonna surprise many; but I always question those who say they're enjoying 4K. I guess they're turning down settings or don't mind dips to the 30s; but if that's the case, for me, I have to ask why go 4K? Again, this is a VERY great card for 1440p, though. I think the 1080Ti is going to be a beast, and be the first card to finally destroy 1440p.

I still need to overclock; hopefully that helps with some of my dips. Also, I know my aging 3820 at 4GHz isn't doing me any favors in stuff like The Witcher and GTAV.

I'm going to keep using this rig for another year or so. I think with the next generation of GPUs (1180, etc) and CPUs, I think I'll do a brand new build.

JayBabay

Witcher 3, though, was a monumental difference. Last time I played it, I was at 1080p. At medium/high settings and none of the fancy things like hairworks on, I got 40-60fps with the lowest level of AA. But now, with every.single.setting maxed out, including max AA, I'm getting ~50-60fps, and it just looks leaps and bounds better, now. Incredible. The AA helps immensely. Everything is just so much sharper. And with G-sync, it feels so much smoother. Seriously, this feels like a different game. Witcher 2 was one of my favorite games ever, and I never got more than 10 hours into the third entry. But you know what, I may just restart this game now and give it another shot.

Can you elaborate on what card you were using for Witcher 3. Was it your Titan that was only able to do 40-60fps at 1080p with only High settings and no AA? I was playing on medium/high with my 8950 (Reference only card) around 40fps at 60hz.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Can you elaborate on what card you were using for Witcher 3. Was it your Titan that was only able to do 40-60fps at 1080p with only High settings and no AA? I was playing on medium/high with my 8950 (Reference only card) around 40fps at 60hz.

Correct, the original Titan. However, I remember using the first level of AA (not none at all).

This was at launch, so I'm sure drivers improved over time. Mostly high settings. Ticked a couple boxes to medium, I think, to keep FPS in check. An item or two in ultra that I felt were important (texture quality, shadows, etc). I recall hovering around 45fps when any action was on the screen. Factoring in the already jittery engine, and 45fps never felt good to me at all in that game.

I just remember being woefully disappointed by the games graphics relative to performance. Witcher 2, at release, was a beast. But I remember getting a solid 60fps with relatively similar settings on whatever card I had at the time (I think a 1.25GB 570).

Jedi2016

I think TW3 only has an on/off switch for AA.

I was getting around 40 or so on my 680 at Medium/Low settings at 1080p. You should have been getting a hell of a lot better than that on a Titan. With my 1080, it never drops below 60 at 1440 at max settings (except Hairworks), and spends most of it's time around 75-80. Are you running 4K? Otherwise you should be getting at least the performance I'm getting.

JayBabay

Correct, the original Titan. However, I remember using the first level of AA (not none at all).

This was at launch, so I'm sure drivers improved over time. Mostly high settings. Ticked a couple boxes to medium, I think, to keep FPS in check. An item or two in ultra that I felt were important (texture quality, shadows, etc). I recall hovering around 45fps when any action was on the screen. Factoring in the already jittery engine, and 45fps never felt good to me at all in that game.

I just remember being woefully disappointed by the games graphics relative to performance. Witcher 2, at release, was a beast. But I remember getting a solid 60fps with relatively similar settings on whatever card I had at the time (I think a 1.25GB 570).

Yeah it seems like the game hogs a lot of resources then but it is a beauty to look at when all is worked out. Congrats on your new card!

Skel1ingt0n

I think TW3 only has an on/off switch for AA.

I was getting around 40 or so on my 680 at Medium/Low settings at 1080p. You should have been getting a hell of a lot better than that on a Titan. With my 1080, it never drops below 60 at 1440 at max settings (except Hairworks), and spends most of it's time around 75-80. Are you running 4K? Otherwise you should be getting at least the performance I'm getting.

Just did a little more research.

First off, you're absolutely right - TW3 just has a toggle for AA. So I was definitely using it on my original Titan, and am using it here on my 1080.

I do think there's a big difference between "40fps at medium low" and "45fps in action-heavy encounters at high with a mix of some medium and some ultra," so that's what I'll chalk the Titan vs 680 up to. Not arguing with you :) - but because I don't have numbers to be empirical, I admit this isn't an exact science, and I don't want to misrepresent anything.

Just loaded up a save. Bunch of foliage around. On my horse. Sunset lighting. Lots of gusts. But sitting there stationary. I was at ~59-62fps. Every single option maxed out. So, I turned off Hairworks, and sure enough - bumped up to 73-78fps. Huge difference with that toggle. You're right, probably will stay above 60 with that off... but I'll miss it, and I don't consider it to be played at "max," with it disabled.

That said, hope that clears that up. Happy to run anything else if curious! I think I'm more particular about drops. If a game drops to, say, 30fps even once every 20-30 minutes in very action heavy encounters, but otherwise runs at 60... to me, that's very disappointing, and I'm gonna point out it has regular dips.

qream

These cards have been out for 2 months and i still can't walk into microcenter and get 1. What a good awful launch.

I got mine at microcenter. Happened to be in the store 30 mins before a delivery on a Friday afternoon. They got 10 cards in and I snagged one. Just ask them what day and time they get deliveries and you might have an easier time.

Ason

I just bought it and it doesnt even work................great.

Don't matter what test I run, I keep getting this error.

Mine won't run either. However, reading the steam community forums seems like others are having similar issues, and may be working on it. Mine is having problems with the systeminfo background task never finding system info, hanging the program.

It may be worth sending them an email info@futuremark.com

You might wanna try to uninstall and reinstall Futuremark SystemInfo, I had problem with 3DMark being unable to find info about my system, that solved it for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
These cards have been out for 2 months and i still can't walk into microcenter and get 1. What a good awful launch.

I've been waiting almost seven weeks now for Amazon to send something my way. I pre-order a G1 on June 3rd, which I cancelled on July 7th because Amazon had the STRIX listed as in stock. I still don't have a shipping date, and I wasn't the last person to order one, either. At this point I'm becoming convinced that Amazon is repeating to an extent the shenanigans it pulled with PS4 pre-orders and prioritising US orders.

Seems like it will push further and I may try eventually. Watched benchmarks for a few hours as we played in VR and boosts seemed good. Temps are more surprising. So used to my 390 hitting 80+C with a hybrid cooler and this card hovers under 60C at 2100+. Very pleased.

I found one review of the Seahawk that shows the same power target as we are seeing 105. So I guess that's where it's supposed to be. I'll have to trick MSI in letting me adjust voltage and see if I can get a little more out of it. I'm pleased either with this card either way.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not sure if anybody gives a shit, but here's some early, rough comparisons between my 980 Ti and my 1080. I booted up each game with a single pre-planned vista to monitor the framerate.

Each game is running at 1440p on a 144Hz Gsync.
i7 6700K @ 4.6 GHz
16GB DDR4

Specific game and card details below.

MSI 980 Ti
Core: 1316 MHz
Memory: 3506 MHz

Gainward Phoenix 1080
Core: (up to) 1911 MHz
Memory: 5006 MHz

---------------------------------------------------

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
All settings maxed out, no AA, Hairworks ultra, tweaks to increase draw distance/rendering quality beyond maximum
980ti: 35 fps
1080: 46 fps

Rise of the Tomb Raider
All settings maxed out, no AA, VXAO, PureHair very high
980ti: 45 fps
1080: 59 fps

Mirror's Edge Catalyst:
All settings hyper, Res scale 100%
980ti: 63 fps
1080: 77 fps

Star Wars: Battlefront
All settings ultra, no AA, Res scale 120%
980ti: 71 fps
1080: 85 fps

------------------------------------------------

Note; none of these were actively long gameplay, thus not proper benchmarks. As said I just picked a single scene (either after a stage or save file load) and compared performance. The Wild Hunt vista is by far the hardest stress test, as I picked a very demanding scene that taxes the CPU as well (and it's worth remembering that I'm pushing foliage and shadows beyond the game's standard maximum). Mirror's Edge unfortunately is an indoor shot. Battlefront was on Endor, during a wave mission. And the Tomb Raider scene was pretty dull, but whatever.

I guess what I don't fully understand yet is how the 1080 handles clock turbo. This is my card. Its advertised out-of-the-box boost is 1733 MHz. Each game however launched at 1911 MHz. Battlefront, after a little bit of fucking around, dropped to 1860. Will need to do further testing.

I guess my question is; how do I understand the OCing of a 1080? As in, if I want to aim to try and stabilise a ~1900 core, what should I be looking at? Just a bit lost given it's boosting over the advertised stock boost, and I haven't made any tweaks yet.

Had an ASUS STRIX 1080 ordered at one place and an MSI 1080 Gaming at another, but neither seemed like it was going to show up anytime soon. Then I finally found an EVGA 1080 SC in stock somewhere this morning and snapped it up. Not an FTW, but whatever, it should arrive tomorrow.

(I'm in the Netherlands.)

EatChildren

3D Mark TimeSpy

980 Ti
Graphics score: 5,425
Graphics test 1: 35.75 FPS
Graphics test 2: 30.80 FPS
Total: 5,489

Graphics score: 7,220
Graphics test 1: 47.14 FPS
Graphics test 2: 41.33 FPS
Total: 6,974

Phinor

The good thing is I finally got my 1080 FTW.

The bad thing is I didn't win the silicon lottery.

The verdict is that I can at least boost to 2000+MHz; it starts crashing at 2088 (80+MHz offset in Precision X).

Well I would call that a win even if you didn't win the jackpot. If you want to know what not winning feels like, try my Gaming X that crashes at anything beyond ~1940MHz.

EatChildren

+200% to core

Fucked around in Wild Hunt for a bit. GPU clock fluctuated between 2050 MHz and 2101 MHz. No graphical abnormalities.

So this card has been out for nearly two months and it's STILL incredibly difficult to find in stock pretty much anywhere on the internet. Does anyone else find this to be absolutely fucking absurd? Get your shit together, nVidia.

I am not getting 99% GPU usage in Fallout 4,and sometimes it crashes on startup when I have Precision X on. I don't know what the heck is happening; it was fine yesterday.

nakedeyes

Banned

..aaaannnnddd its gone. Crazy.

Got a chance to play around with my 1080 this weekend, and I love it! Oc'ed it to ~2200Mhz and played for probably around 5-6 hours with no issues. Finally hooked up my Rift CV1 that has been sitting in the box since moving two months ago and I was having a problem where the rift would disconnect ever ~10 minutes or so. It was frustrating, but hours later I found out it was a USB bus issue ( even the USB card Oculus recommends isn't good enough on its own.. found a bunch of forum posts on it.. anyways.. ).

Played probably 2-3 hours of Elite Dangerous in VR. They have a "VR High" graphics setting, but that setting is actually pretty low / medium on alot of the options, so I just went in there and blasted them all up to high / ultra. Even turned on 1.5x super sampling. It was all super smooth and looked great.

Played a bit of the new Dirt Rally patch with VR as well. It made me the tiniest bit queasy, but looked amazing.

Overwatch was also super easy to blast out. 4k rendering can stick to 60 fps ( I have a 4k/60 monitor, so I never know if its trying to render at a faster rate than 60 hz ). Turned pretty much everything on epic, and just had to turn down AA a tiny bit from max to stay steady at 60fps.

Finally, yesterday I fired up the new Dolphin 5.0 and tried to play some Super Mario Galaxy 2. It was great!! I had previously played a bit in 1080p, but here I was able to do 4k and mostly maintain 60 fps. Honestly, I think these wii games do look amazing when up res'ed in general, but all the way up at 4k you do start to see details and imperfections in the textures, but this is just being picky. It looks great!

Really happy with it overall, coming from SLI'ed GTX 680s. It is doing wonders for my VR stuff, and doing surprisingly well at 4k as well as I have always been able to tolerate ~30 fps on PC if the graphics are amazing.

Cross posting from the 1070 thread.

Does anybody know if the HDMI audio gets disabled when using 3 monitors with the Gigabyte G1 gaming card?

I'm getting 2 cards next week for 2 virtual machines i'm using, both will be using 3 monitors and the only way i can do audio for them is through the monitors with the HDMI audio off the cards.

SirNinja

So this card has been out for nearly two months and it's STILL incredibly difficult to find in stock pretty much anywhere on the internet. Does anyone else find this to be absolutely fucking absurd?

This tends to happen with the latest and greatest GPUs, unfortunately.

I'm hoping to get a 1080 for my birthday next month (to replace my old 680), but I'm wondering if I'll ever be able to find a decent price on one before then.

dr_rus

So this card has been out for nearly two months and it's STILL incredibly difficult to find in stock pretty much anywhere on the internet. Does anyone else find this to be absolutely fucking absurd? Get your shit together, nVidia.
Solely demand based. The card is in free supply here, in Russia, for example, because the demand here is rather low at it's price with current economic conditions.

I can't play Fallout 4 anymore. Fuck Bethesda, seriously. I tried everything; I did a fresh driver install. Also, K-boost didn't even do the trick; the GPU usage was at 0% and the FPS was the same when I had 40-60% GPU usage. That is like, hey, you had a GTX 780 and upgraded? How about fuck you and stick to 50% GPU usage (exactly like your older card).

Every time I try playing a Bethesda game, I spend at least a day troubleshooting, and then they release a patch or some shit and they ruin EVERYTHING and EVERY mod out there.

Edit: I remembered something. Reloading an older save file might do the trick (which works really well when you have fucking survival mode on).

1900-2000MHz means you are screwed.

2000-2100MHz is the average/you didn't win shit.

2100MHz+ is the lottery.

this is the "boost" you're referring to, right?

does this vary from card to card based on clock coming from the manufacturer? If not, I guess I'm screwed? My most stable FTW boost clock is 1932 MHz, give or take according to GPU-Z

edit: oh i got the exact same overclock this guy got with his review sample. Looks like I'm fine? https://youtu.be/asBCeQ_EXzY?t=275

Top Bottom