• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Xyber

this is the "boost" you're referring to, right?

does this vary from card to card based on clock coming from the manufacturer? If not, I guess I'm screwed? My most stable FTW boost clock is 1932 MHz, give or take according to GPU-Z

edit: oh i got the exact same overclock this guy got with his review sample. Looks like I'm fine? https://youtu.be/asBCeQ_EXzY?t=275

He is referring to the highest stable clock achievable on the card (after manually overclocking). GPU-Z doesn't report your highest boost clock in the normal GPU info screen. Start the render test by pressing the ? button next to the PCI-E info and start that test, then change to the Sensors tab and you will see your highest clock.

He is referring to the highest stable clock achievable on the card (after manually overclocking). GPU-Z doesn't report your highest boost clock in the normal GPU info screen. Start the render test by pressing the ? button next to the PCI-E info and start that test, then change to the Sensors tab and you will see your highest clock.

ah okay. I see 2075.5.

I assume 2075.5 MHz is acceptable? Right in the "very solidly average" wheelhouse?

Xyber

ah okay. I see 2075.5.

I assume 2075.5 MHz is acceptable? Right in the "very solidly average" wheelhouse?

It's more than acceptable, it just isn't amazing.

My card has been stable in everything I've played so far at 2126MHZ and even if it's a bit higher than yours the actual performance difference is not very big at all.

You've got a good card. My recommendation is that after you OC it, close your monitoring and enjoy the card. It will drive you nuts trying to compare and tweak, etc.

Yep, I'm done now. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't comparatively a dud (because if it was, I'd send it back). all good here. Based on the VR performance in Elite Dangerous, I'll be keeping this. I did not expect as much difference as it has turned out to be in that game. Not sure what the technical reason is, but things that would stutter 60% of the time in VR on my 980Ti are smooth 99% the time on this 1080. I'm well pleased after having been on the "ehh..." fence when I received it.

XShagrath

Looks like I'm going to have to RMA my Strix due this fan issue. Tried both of my PCIE slots with the same issue.

Unfortunately, newegg's RMA policy is complete shit. Replacement if they have it in stock when they get my card back, or refund. Then I go through the whole quest to find another Strix. It took me two damned months to get lucky enough to snag this one.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah just got mine right now too!
zSbaxX5l.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just got my G1 installed.

How do you adjust the LED color? Logo is defaulted to cycle and I want it to stay on a single color. Halp!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
The 1070 thread is pretty silent so I thought I would ask here too, if thats OK.

If I plan to play at 1080p resolution for the foreseeable future, and given that PS4 Neo and Scorpio will up the level playing field, should I stick with a 1070 or go with a 1080 to future proof?

The 1070 thread is pretty silent so I thought I would ask here too, if thats OK.

If I plan to play at 1080p resolution for the foreseeable future, and given that PS4 Neo and Scorpio will up the level playing field, should I stick with a 1070 or go with a 1080 to future proof?
Both Neo and Scorpio will still be weaker than a 1070 gaming PC.

It's more than acceptable, it just isn't amazing.

My card has been stable in everything I've played so far at 2126MHZ and even if it's a bit higher than yours the actual performance difference is not very big at all.

I would kill for 2075. I think my card floats around 1975.

Boy I got lucky as FUCK!!!

The prices are jumping around like crazy for these 1080 cards.

I got this card......
u2Dz3TD.jpg

for this price
6T4ieF3.jpg

right after I purchased it, it went up to that 800+ price.

JbML6ue.gif

Amazon is weird. My experience with the 1070 is. Last Thursday Gigabyte G1 $429. I tried to order it with an Amazon Visa for the $70 price reduction. I was denied and the $429 price was replaced by $466 for two days. On Sunday I ordered it for $429 with a 28 July arrive date. Today it said arriving on Friday(July 22nd)

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Spent all night trying to perfect my Overclock.

Using a EVGA 1080 Founder's Edition with an EK Acetal waterblock and backplate. Paired with a i7 3820 @ 3.8Ghz (was 4.6, to 4.4... to now 3.8 cause this CPU is pretty shot).

Did the Heaven Benchmark twice to confirm stability.

Managed to get a +240Mhz on the GPU Clock, and +400Mhz on the Mem Clock. That puts me at:

Graphics: 2126Mhz
Memory: 5405Mhz
Temp: 40c

I'm very happy with that. Seems to be on the upper end of "good," while not being exceptional or unbelievably lucky.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man that extra VRAM worked wonders for Mirror's Edge Catalyst on hyper.

Spent all night trying to perfect my Overclock.

Using a EVGA 1080 Founder's Edition with an EK Acetal waterblock and backplate. Paired with a i7 3820 @ 3.8Ghz (was 4.6, to 4.4... to now 3.8 cause this CPU is pretty shot).

Did the Heaven Benchmark twice to confirm stability.

Managed to get a +240Mhz on the GPU Clock, and +400Mhz on the Mem Clock. That puts me at:

Graphics: 2126Mhz
Memory: 5405Mhz
Temp: 40c

I'm very happy with that. Seems to be on the upper end of "good," while not being exceptional or unbelievably lucky.

That's a pretty sweet OC, congrats. Basically what the Seahawk owners are getting too. Be careful with Heaven, because it doesn't seem like it works it like a game does...or Firestrike.

TheRed

this is the "boost" you're referring to, right?

does this vary from card to card based on clock coming from the manufacturer? If not, I guess I'm screwed? My most stable FTW boost clock is 1932 MHz, give or take according to GPU-Z

edit: oh i got the exact same overclock this guy got with his review sample. Looks like I'm fine? https://youtu.be/asBCeQ_EXzY?t=275

I wouldn't say you're screwed unless you got under the advertised boost of the card. Everything else is icing, just some people get luckier.

demigod

Well that was a pain, I should've bought and installed corsair hydro sooner instead of installing with my gpu. Took me hours just to get the thing fitted into my case, had to drill some holes. Got my waterforce installed but ran into another problem mounting the radiator to the back of my case, could only fit one screw in because something is blocking it and I had to tilt it.

I've done a few benchmarks so far. Raising core to +60-65, anything higher than 75 crashes me. So far my max clock is 2115, I think I lost the lottery :p.

dr_rus

Thanks!

So with a new 1080 is it recommended to play Rise of the Tomb Raider in DX12 or DX11 VXAO?

VXAO gives better image quality, DX12 gives better performance IF you're CPU limited, if not - you're better off with DX11 as well.

Man that extra VRAM worked wonders for Mirror's Edge Catalyst on hyper.

Really? I went through the whole MEC on my 980Ti in Hyper settings and can't say that I noticed anything which I would attribute to a lack of VRAM, just the general performance deficit.

If 1080p is what you're going to be playing it. That 1070 is going to be pretty future proof as well.

ncslamm

Just managed to snag a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 preorder on Amazon for $649.99. Now I need to find a better monitor to use. My ASUS VG248QE isn't going to cut it anymore.

edit: and then after thinking about it for a few minutes I decided to cancel. I'll wait a few months for prices to drop further.

demigod

Just managed to snag a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 preorder on Amazon for $649.99. Now I need to find a better monitor to use. My ASUS VG248QE isn't going to cut it anymore.

edit: and then after thinking about it for a few minutes I decided to cancel. I'll wait a few months for prices to drop further.

Prices do not drop like that.

649 is msrp. Prices are crazy because third party sellers are trying to price gouge when major retailers don't have them in stock. Unless a new generation is released, prices for current gen GPUs drops rarely and negligibly even after years by checking price trends.

ZOONAMI

649 is msrp. Prices are crazy because third party sellers are trying to price gouge when major retailers don't have them in stock. Unless a new generation is released, prices for current gen GPUs drops rarely and negligibly even after years by checking price trends.

No, $599 is nvs announced msrp.

nakedeyes

Banned

+1 for don't expect a drop soon. The 980TIs are just barely budging now after the 1080s have already come out.. Expect a GTX 1180 or equivalent gen before prices drop too much.

Still waiting for the new driver to fix the DPC latency issues. I hope I can play Fallout 4 properly when that driver is released.

Doom with Vulkan is ridiculous. I get 170-200+fps on 1080p with everything on ultra except motion blur/DoF off. I used to get 55-90fps with my ol' 780 with AA set to FXAA instead of TXAAx8.

Everything is fine so far. The only two shitty games I came across are Fallout 4 and Forza 6 Apex. The latter only uses two cores which causes stuttering and fps drops when there are multiple cars (reminds me of Assetto Corsa when it was in beta).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Finally.

finallytsjle.jpg

I expressed to Amazon just yesterday how frustrated I was that the card wasn't actually in stock when I placed my order a couple of weeks ago, particularly as I cancelled my G1 pre-order, so in addition to a bump up to AmazonGlobal Priority I'll also receive a refund on the shipping cost. Assuming the card is dispatched within the next 48 hours, it should arrive on Monday. The end to my ~seven-week wait is now in sight.

Still waiting for the new driver to fix the DPC latency issues. I hope I can play Fallout 4 properly when that driver is released.

Wait, what is DPC latency and how does it manifest itself in Fallout 4? I played it a couple of days ago using a gtx 1080 and I didn't notice anything odd.

Everything is fine so far. The only two shitty games I came across are Fallout 4 and Forza 6 Apex. The latter only uses two cores which causes stuttering and fps drops when there are multiple cars (reminds me of Assetto Corsa when it was in beta).

Apparently, in Fallout 4, lowering shadow draw distance to medium drastically increases GPU utilization by reducing draw calls (thus alleviating a CPU bottleneck). Skyrim had a similar issue although not as severe.

Phinor

The overall availability on these damn 1080s is still shameful as shit. Been how many months now? lol

What's shameful about producing as much as you can and everything selling out the second it hits the stores though? It's not like they are intentionally hindering the production, they want to ship as many cards as possible because it's all profit but this is literally the limit on planet earth.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So glad I didn't fork out the extra ~$200 AU for the factory OC'd cards. Sitting at stable 2050 - 2101 MHz core clock.

The only thing I can think of is the flickering Chrome bug that some users get if they're using a 144 Hz screen with a 60 Hz screen, but that's about it. The drivers are stable.

The flicking chrome issue wasn't from that driver, it has been there for like several months. I'm on the latest driver and no issues other than that which does not affect normal use at all.

Top Bottom