• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU configuration confirmed, gaming performance leaked

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I would love one of these but I just don't think I can justify the money on it :( BUT here's hoping some sort of half decent price cut on the GTX 970 and 980.

ZOONAMI

Well "good guy AMD" is planning on launching it's flagship product at almost Titan level pricing, and this is designed to undercut that. Ball is in Red's court on pricing.

I would. Gsync monitor at 1080p. Got a 970, gonna flip it for this barring some disaster.

I think there will be a high priced amd 8gb hbm chip and also a 4gb ~$600 amd hbm part.

It's not a slightly better 980, it's a slightly worse Titan X. It has the same GM 200 board as the new Titan, not the 204 in the 980. I'm guessing it's going to be a $700 price point, though I'd like to see it at least $50 cheaper.

Xyber

I had originally planned to get my 970 as a stopgap until this card arrived, but I am not interested anymore. The performance gain I would get over the 970 is not worth the huge bump in price. Will wait for Pascal and hope there's a nice and cheap 1440p 120Hz monitor I can get then.

But I will wait and see if these numbers match up with more reputable websites when it launches.

Those benchmarks are flat-out wrong, especially Dirt Rally.

Regardless, with those specs you don't really need benchmarks. Get a Titan X, subtract 5-10% performance.

$700 would be amazing but probably won't happen. $750 would be solid. I know its only a $50 difference going from 750 to 800 but still not sure I can justify and 800 dollar card.

I don't know why anyone would bother. It's not like a console where you won't see a new one for 5-6 years. I think people would come out better getting a card that's a few steps down and replacing every year or every other year. Ex. 970-> 1070 -> 1170 or 970-> 1170.

Serick

Married Member
Then you'd be wasting your money buying a 980 ti, Titan, or next gen hbm amd card.

Guess you missed my first post in this thread.

Welp, totally don't regret buying a GTX 980 now.

Also this:

Not completely. I still want a really powerful GPU that can run my games at 120+ FPS without having to sacrifice too much eye candy.

I'll upgrade my monitor when we can do 1440p/4k @ 120Hz on ultra fairly consistently.

I don't know why anyone would bother. It's not like a console where you won't see a new one for 5-6 years. I think people would come out better getting a card that's a few steps down and replacing every year or every other year. Ex. 970-> 1070 -> 1170 or 970-> 1170.

That its what we recommend for budget conscious pc gamers. Second tier cards are usually the best value in the high end range.

However many do not care about the best value. If you have a full time job and this is your only major hobby is not hard to stay relatively bleeding edge after the initial purchase because high end resale values is quite good. Because I imported from the US and amazon have me partial refunds for 970mem issue, I am actually turning a profit on owning this card for 10 months when I sell it second hand in Australia.

ZOONAMI

Guess you missed my first post in this thread.

Also this:

I don't understand your first post. You shouldn't regret buying a 980. And I guess if you have a 144hz 1080p monitor, maybe a high end card makes sense - but that's a pretty small market segment. Either way, I'd say your golden with the 980, unless you just have money to burn.

LilJoka

Do any TITAN and TITAN X owners feel good about their purchase?

Does anyone really buy Titan to feel good about their purchase? Its a lot of money, and even the people with a lot of money know its not bang for buck, it wasnt when the original Titan released, and it wasnt going to be when the X released. The Ti cards are always the ones that can get more than Titan performance with some overclock.

Serick

Married Member
I don't understand your first post. You shouldn't regret buying a 980. And I guess if you have a 144hz 1080p monitor, maybe a high end card makes sense - but that's a pretty small market segment. Either way, I'd say your golden with the 980, unless you just have money to burn.

Back when the 390/980ti talk first started I was going back and forth on sending my 980's back and waiting. After seeing those benchmarks, I'm not regretting keeping them.

Paper = real world if its the same arch with half dense mem chips and half a cluster cut. Pretty safe as far as bets go.

Not true. Too many variables come into play for specs to purely translate into real world benchmarks. Not saying these benchmarks are accurate but it's naive to assume performance until it's in someone's machine with release drivers running a bench in a retail game.

Should I go for this or regular 980? Is the extra 2GB GDDR5 really worth it?

Like someone else mentioned, it's not a 980 plus 2 gigs, it's a Titan X minus 6 gigs

Whether or not that's worth it to you depends on the price and what resolution you want to game at

This seemingly is at 1080. So realistically these benchmarks mean very little. Looking forward to the release of this thing. Hope they price and bundle it nicely. It's either this or Titan X in mid June!

Crisium

Assassin Creed:
GTX 980; 91FPS
GTX 980Ti: 95FPS
+4%

GTA:
GTX 980: 107FPS
GTX 980Ti: 115FPS
+7%

Dirt:
GTX 980: 111FPS
GTX 980Ti: 117FPS
+5%

Then compare it to a $329 970. 15%-23 more performance for perhaps double the price?

Save your money folks. Accept that this is a stopgap generation before 14nm Pascal. Get a 290, 970, or 290X and do your wallet a favor. The lesser performance now should be compensated by budgeting the savings towards a Pascal generation card. Now those who don't care about price get a Titan X, that's fine you want the best. But if you value your dollar I don't see any hype here.

One of the positives though is that higher-end cards like 980Ti or Fiji XT will force price drops on cards like the 980, which is honestly overpriced itself.

Silly to do 1080 though. In GPU limited scenarios we may see it shine more compared to 970/980. Maybe it has more bite than this.

LilJoka

If that architecture diagramm is to be believed.. it wont have any problem like the 970.

Yeah but it looks just like the one the 970 had... Ie copy and paste.
GPUz is just using lookup tables on info thats provided to the them by nvidia too. Its not reading specs off the card.
We should definalty wait to learn about the VRAM, its likely 980Ti was being developed before the 970 shitstorm.

BlazinAm

Still happy with my 780 purchase from last year. I only have 1080p60 monitor so right now I don't think I needed more power behind it. I think when gsync comes down in price maybe I might bite on a higher resolution monitor. I'll wait until it feels aged out then look at a GPU.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Crisium you can't tell anything from those shitty bars someone called a benchmark.
Not true. Too many variables come into play for specs to purely translate into real world benchmarks. Not saying these benchmarks are accurate but it's naive to assume performance until it's in someone's machine with release drivers running a bench in a retail game.
This is the correct approach to anything, but can't see it being anything other than a cut Titan X. Not like its new card new arch new memory implementation.

Either way shouldn't have to wait long. Hoping to pickup some a good deal on a used 970.

finalflame

Gold Member
This is the real upgrade for 780 Ti users who have been rightfully holding out. This needs to launch at a $749 price point, just like the 780 Ti. If nVidia tries to pull the $799 bullshit I'll just stick with my regular 980s.

Wag

6GB is plenty even for 4K gaming. Is it worth paying the extra $200+ for 6GB more?

Won't DX12 do vram stacking anyways?

RedSwirl

NVIDIA no longer supports Kepler really. All AMDs stuff is pretty much GCN, so any improvements they make actually improve everything back to the 6xxx series.

So what you're saying is the 760 in my main PC will no longer see gains from new drivers, but the HD6850 in my old rig will.

So what you're saying is the 760 in my main PC will no longer see gains from new drivers, but the HD6850 in my old rig will.

He is incorrect in saying that. Their are of course driver wide optimizations which help all GPU archs.

My 570 set up saw driver improvements many years after the fact.

Nvidia is still supporting Kepler. People are salty because of Witcher 3 drama and exaggerating to the moon. There's supposed to be a Kepler friendly update coming soon to improve Hairworks perf in Witcher 3 on Kepler.

Top Bottom