• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU configuration confirmed, gaming performance leaked

Nvidia is still supporting Kepler. People are salty because of Witcher 3 drama. There's supposed to be a Kepler friendly update coming soon to improve Hairworks perf in Witcher 3 on Kepler.

Witcher 3 isn't the only game Kepler is underperforming at, and it has nothing to do with Hairworks.

This is the real upgrade for 780 Ti users who have been rightfully holding out. This needs to launch at a $749 price point, just like the 780 Ti. If nVidia tries to pull the $799 bullshit I'll just stick with my regular 980s.

Meh! I'll keep my evga 780ti dual classified until pascal comes out.

mkenyon

Banned
So what you're saying is the 760 in my main PC will no longer see gains from new drivers, but the HD6850 in my old rig will.
Had to double check when GCN was launched, looks like it wasn't out until the 7000 series. Apologies.

But yeah, if you had an AMD card that was a GCN arch, then it would see greater continued improvements in games than a 760 would.
Nvidia is still supporting Kepler. People are salty because of Witcher 3 drama and exaggerating to the moon. There's supposed to be a Kepler friendly update coming soon to improve Hairworks perf in Witcher 3 on Kepler.
Yeah, this isn't really true. They've largely stopped doing Kepler improvements for most new games. I'm sure there's some really big titles like W3 where there will be improvements, but this has been going on with almost all games since the Maxwell release.

I actually didn't believe it myself, but there was a really great post in the PC thread, I wish I could find it.... I'll PM you if I do.

Assassin Creed:
GTX 980; 91FPS
GTX 980Ti: 95FPS
+4%

GTA:
GTX 980: 107FPS
GTX 980Ti: 115FPS
+7%

Dirt:
GTX 980: 111FPS
GTX 980Ti: 117FPS
+5%

Then compare it to a $329 970. 15%-23 more performance for perhaps double the price?

Save your money folks. Accept that this is a stopgap generation before 14nm Pascal. Get a 290, 970, or 290X and do your wallet a favor. The lesser performance now should be compensated by budgeting the savings towards a Pascal generation card. Now those who don't care about price get a Titan X, that's fine you want the best. But if you value your dollar I don't see any hype here.

One of the positives though is that higher-end cards like 980Ti or Fiji XT will force price drops on cards like the 980, which is honestly overpriced itself.

Silly to do 1080 though. In GPU limited scenarios we may see it shine more compared to 970/980. Maybe it has more bite than this.

this !

Im on a 680 Sli and im waiting

Wag

Nvidia is still supporting Kepler. People are salty because of Witcher 3 drama and exaggerating to the moon. There's supposed to be a Kepler friendly update coming soon to improve Hairworks perf in Witcher 3 on Kepler.

I have my doubts about this for many reasons. GTA V runs like shit on Kepler too, along with Project Cars. So I'll take a wait and see attitude here.

Don't go by the benchmarks posted, they're poor. I'm sure when they post higher ones like for 2560x1440 and 4k you'll see a much bigger difference.

I'm debating taking my 780 Ti out for the 980 Ti in my i7 2600k rig until Skylake is released, then pairing Skylake with the 980 Ti and putting the 780 Ti back in my old rig as a secondary rig. Hmmmm.

finalflame

Gold Member
Eh, its just nVidia filling every price bracket when people get tired of what exists. So boring.

Hopefully Computex stirs up some shit.

Seriously. $600 390X with superior performance to the 980 Ti would shake things up. However, rumors of 4gb limitation on HBM it making it seem unlikely that'll be the case. 4gb just isn't enough for gaming beyond 1080p.

I have been waiting for this card. The Titan X was tempting when I was drunk a couple of times on my computer, but I'm glad I held out. Got a 780 SC right now and I'm about ready to upgrade.

My 760 has served me well, but it's starting to show some wrinkles, however I'm paranoid that I'm going to regret getting the 980 ti when Pascal comes out and is (if it's?) way better.

Ehh...

Better amd drivers and nvidia failing to continue to make driver optimizations for Kepler.

Part of the plan to get people to upgrade every time they release a new card.

Yep, this:

NVIDIA no longer supports Kepler really. All AMDs stuff is pretty much GCN, so any improvements they make actually improve everything back to the 6xxx series.

So if I buy a 970 is nvidia gonna do the same thing once their new cards are out? If so why would I ever buy another nvidia card?

Pretty much. Seems video cards are only good for 2 years now. My 760 is already obsolete.

I don't know about others but this is really bothering me. It's a pretty shitty way to treat your customers

But hairworks isn't the issue here. We've heard a million times about tesselation and how much better maxwell is at it but the problem is that Kepler is performing so poorly with hairworks off

I don't know why people keep saying "will wait for Pascal".

You're going to be waiting 8-12 months if that's the case. And then you might as well wait for Volta.

Kinthalis

Banned
Pretty much. Seems video cards are only good for 2 years now. My 760 is already obsolete.

Wow such hyperbole.

It's ONE game, and the difference in performance from what's expected is like 10-15% AND going by what some people found ont he Witcher 3 PErformance thread, it looks like it's just a bug with the nvidia gameworks library (if you remove the dll or set Physx to CPU instead of GPU you gain that 10-15% back on the 700 series cards).

mkenyon

Banned
So if I buy a 970 is nvidia gonna do the same thing once their new cards are out? If so why would I ever buy another nvidia card?
The cards still perform well, they just don't get the same kind of improvements that AMD does. This is a unique thing to AMD, because their architecture mostly stays the same. So any improvements on new cards also has the same kind of improvements on older cards. It's not that NVIDIA is boning people, it's just that AMD is in a unique situation to capitalize on the way they make video cards.

I mean, I'm really happy with my 780 Ti Classified even on a 1440p/144Hz panel, 1.5 years later. I don't really see myself upgrading it with either Maxwell nor AMD's 390X.
Wow such hyperbole.

It's ONE game, and the difference in performance from what's expected is like 10-15% AND going by what some people found ont he Witcher 3 PErformance thread, it looks like it's just a bug with the nvidia gameworks library (if you remove the dll or set Physx to CPU instead of GPU you gain that 10-15% back on the 700 series cards).
Actually, in most games released since Maxwell came out, AMD has continually improved to the point where the 280X is almost on par with the 780. This isn't just Witcher.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Such a hard call, but I'll wait a year for the next gen of cards, this one has been a stop gap generation. Struggling with this 770gtx, but I have such a big back log it'll be fine.

Crisium

Wow such hyperbole.

Kepler performance drop off since fall 2014 is not just one game. 780Ti can still hang with the newer cards since it's Big Kepler. It's the 660 through 780 guys that really are feeling the sting of Nvidia's Gameworks.

Truly it's the 780 buyers that suffer the most. It went from being a superior card to the 290 to barely beating the 280X.

SLI 980s at 1440p and I don't feel good about it. Witcher maxed with hairworks dips into 55fps, and that's just unacceptable, IMO.

eh, thats the only game ive had it dip that low with, and i have a ROG Swift; g-sync is your friend. seriously the best thing to happen to pc gaming in some time.

finalflame

Gold Member
eh, thats the only game ive had it dip that low with, and i have a ROG Swift; g-sync is your friend. seriously the best thing to happen to pc gaming in some time.

Hmm I am pretty close to investing in an Acer XB270HU (similar to swift, but IPS panel). People really do say great things about these newfangled G-Sync monitors.

HowZatOZ

Banned
i went from 770 4GB to a 980 and the jump was incredible, i just returned the 980 yesterday to bite on this card
Yeah I think this card will be a crazy big jump. I've got the cash just waiting for that date. Though I might wait and see what AMD prices theirs at. When is that expecting a release?

Kuro

I was really close to buying a 780 when the 970 got announced and I got that instead. Anyone have benchmarks for at least 3 recent games where the 780 struggles to compete with a 280x? I find that kind of hard to believe.

Hmm I am pretty close to investing in an Acer XB270HU (similar to swift, but IPS panel). People really do say great things about these newfangled G-Sync monitors.

dude, seriously, do it. the cost is high, but the results speak for themselves.

55fps with gsync on is smooth as fucking butter. and any frame jumps or drops will go unnoticed.

its pretty amazing

s_mirage

Not going to bite on another last hurrah of an architecture, especially with Nvidia seeming to only be focussing on the latest and greatest these days. I like my cards to have some longevity.

Only a spectacular price would make me reconsider.

Evo X

These "benchmarks" are total horse shit. Don't fall for them.

Anybody who has actually played GTA 5 can attest to that.

Will wait for real reviews next week. If it's just a Titan X with 6GB of memory, it should be noticeably faster than a 980, and on par with 970 SLI.

Crisium

I was really close to buying a 780 when the 970 got announced and I got that instead. Anyone have benchmarks for at least 3 recent games where the 780 struggles to compete with a 280x? I find that kind of hard to believe.

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...st_GPU-Simulator-DiRT_Rally-test-drt_2560.jpg

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...GPU-Action-Mortal_Kombat_X_-test-mkx_2560.jpg

http://gamegpu.ru/images/remote/htt...s-Test_GPU-Action-Evolve-test-Evolve_1920.jpg

Kuro

pa22word

Eh, this just confirms that I'll be waiting till big pascal before I upgrade again. Likely an 800+ card that will offer like 40 more fps on a card I can still get 60+ fps in all games seems like burning money to me. I do like that perf is getting to the point that 4k is looking more and more like an affordable reality in the coming future though, but I'll personally probably hit up 1440p before because I'm a cheap ass who likes to drain my cards of every last drop they have before upgrading :p

Back to the topic at hand, I think people will be much better off buying a gsync or free sync monitor with the cash they save from this if they don't care for much over 1080p60 atm.

dude, seriously, do it. the cost is high, but the results speak for themselves.

55fps with gsync on is smooth as fucking butter. and any frame jumps or drops will go unnoticed.

its pretty amazing

I came really, really close but I just can't get over downgrading in size. Also no 4K. I have a Dell U3014 now (30") so it's not like I'm working with something old/bad.

I wish I could try out the Acer even for a day and compare. Anyone know if Amazon accepts monitor returns?

Also recently got back into the idea of multiple monitors, like 3 Dell 24" Ultrasharps. Again, wish I could test out first. Such a commitment buying this shit.

finalflame

Gold Member
I came really, really close but I just can't get over downgrading in size. Also no 4K. I have a Dell U3014 now (30") so it's not like I'm working with something old/bad.

I wish I could try out the Acer even for a day and compare. Anyone know if Amazon accepts monitor returns?

Also recently got back into the idea of multiple monitors, like 3 Dell 24" Ultrasharps. Again, wish I could test out first. Such a commitment buying this shit.

Acer has a 28" 4K 60hz G-Sync panel out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009658

So now you can stop making excuses :p

Honestly, I don't see the appeal of the "peripheral" vision on multi-monitor setups. It comes at a huge performance cost for additional real-estate that you'll only barely see. At that point, and where we are now, just wait for final hardware for the Vive and Rift to come out. People seem to do it more for the "bling, look at me 3 monitors l337 g4m3r" aspect rather than actual graphical fidelity (not saying that's why you'd want it).

Of course, those setups are legitimate for things like racing or flight simulators but, again, VR. For me, the idea setup would be a 27" 1440p IPS GSync panel (XB270HU) and 2x 24" 1080p panels on either side for coding working and reading web content.

Crisium

Wasn't the 780 supposed to be the real 680, or am I making that up? lol

For Kepler and Maxwell, Nvidia held back their big card, so sort of true.

If you remember Fermi, basically 680 is the 560 Ti. 780 would be the 570, and 780 Ti would be the 580. Of course it wasn't priced mid range, since 560 Ti was $249 and 680 was $499.

QaaQer

Had to double check when GCN was launched, looks like it wasn't out until the 7000 series. Apologies.

But yeah, if you had an AMD card that was a GCN arch, then it would see greater continued improvements in games than a 760 would.

Yeah, this isn't really true. They've largely stopped doing Kepler improvements for most new games. I'm sure there's some really big titles like W3 where there will be improvements, but this has been going on with almost all games since the Maxwell release.

I actually didn't believe it myself, but there was a really great post in the PC thread, I wish I could find it.... I'll PM you if I do.

jeezuz, and amd is still around, albeit barely. If they bow out of the competition, gfx market is going to be so bad.

FLAguy954

I didn't believe it myself, but there was a really great post in the PC thread, I wish I could find it.... I'll PM you if I do.

Post the link for that for me as I remember reading it too.

J-Rzez

jeezuz, and amd is still around, albeit barely. If they bow out of the competition, gfx market is going to be so bad.

Oh yeah. If they leave we are screwed. I don't trust Nvidia one bit and they're the only cards I've use in long while. We will see less updates both in drivers and in hardware from them, and worse I have no doubt they will gouge the hell out of our wallets. It could possibly strike a mortal blow to the pc resurgence. I'm not joking, I seriously believe that.

That said, I'm watching how Pascal turns out and what AMD/ATI offers at that time. Its when I'm doing my next fresh build. I may support AMD next time if similar or even if they lag slightly behind.

Top Bottom