• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070 leaked specs: up to 20GB GDDR6 RAM

CyberPanda

Banned
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, RTX 3070 leaked specs: up to 20GB GDDR6 RAM

NVIDIA Ampere: GA103/GA104 with 8/16GB and 10/20GB GDDR6 memory on 7nm

By: Anthony Garreffa from 3 hours, 33 mins ago

NVIDIA will be launching its next-generation Ampere GPU architecture and new GeForce RTX 3000 series graphics cards later this year, but it now appears as have some juicy new specs to devour from the latest rumors.

MyDrivers is reporting on two new GPUs in the Ampere family of GPUs: GA103 and GA104. Long-time nerds and enthusiasts will note that the GA103 is an interesting entry, as we would've expected GA102 and GA104, but GA103 is reportedly powering the upcoming GeForce RTX 3080 and has some beast specs with it.

GA103 will reportedly pack 3840 stream processors, 60 SMs, and 10/20GB of GDDR6 on a 320-bit memory bus. The 10/20GB VRAM option there is an interesting one, as we haven't had a card with 20GB of VRAM before. Moving onto the GA104, we have 3072 stream processors, 48 SMs, and 8/16GB GDDR6 on a 256-bit memory bus -- this will take form in the GeForce RTX 3070.

We should expect the consumer GA103 card to have 10GB of GDDR6, while the pro levels cards in the Quadro RTX 3000 series to pack 20GB. NVIDIA could surprise gamers, however, offering up 20GB of VRAM on a GeForce RTX 3080, but I very much doubt that.

What I do want to see, is GA102 -- which will power the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti and a new Ampere-powered TITAN RTX graphics card.

GA103 (GeForce RTX 3080)

10/20GB GDDR6
320-bit memory interface
60 SMs
3480 stream processors

GA104 (GeForce RTX 3070)

8/16GB GDDR6
256-bit memory interface
48 SMs
3072 stream processors

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7005...070-leaked-specs-up-20gb-gddr6-ram/index.html

Last edited:

alife

YkcNqng.gif

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
There we go. I'll be upgrading from my 1080 to whatever the top-end variant ends up being. Not that I even play that much AAA stuff at this point, but y'know. Why not?

20gb of VRAM for my 2D indie platformers doesn't feel like overkill when they run in Unity.

llien

Somewhat relevant, market share stats from German online PC parts retailer:

Oh dear Lord that is a lot!
Of money.

GA104 (GeForce RTX 3070)

8/16GB GDDR6
256-bit memory interface
48 SMs
3072 stream processors

Is very close to 2080.
Make your bets on how much cheaper than 2080 it would be, chuckle, if AMD doesn't roll out big Navi AND engage in price wars.

eW9ufFM.png

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

So your all going to buy the pro level cards, for the 20GB of VRAM then?

..otherwise you'll have to slum it, with a paltry 10GB on the consumer cards. :messenger_winking:

Hmm that puts 3080 around 2080ti with clockspeed improvements and small updates to cores probably slightly ahead. Looks like I'll skip it and wait for 3080ti since it should be around twice the speed of my 1080ti.

mcz117chief

Yep, i'll finally update from my 1080ti
Bruh, I'm still rockin' a 970 and I just want to upgrade already but people have been telling me to wait for the past 84 years. I still think a solid 2070S will last me a good number of years if I get it now or soon after the new series is announced which will inevitably lower the price of older GPUs.

Disgustingly excessive.

It does seem that way. Think about it this way: only few people around the world will have these cards and video game companies can't sustain themselves by relying solely on us super enthusiasts. Therefore they will HAVE to make games for the lower-end users as well, so jumping from 8gb to 20gb sounds like there will be a couple of games which will offer "ultra" textures but most everything will run the same probably.

Last edited:

Lux R7

Bruh, I'm still rockin' a 970 and I just want to upgrade already but people have been telling me to wait for the past 84 years. I still think a solid 2070S will last me a good number of years if I get it now or soon after the new series is announced which will inevitably lower the price of older GPUs

and you are probably right, but you should probably wait (lol) to see the difference price/perfomance between the 2070s and the 3070 before upgrade imho

Ellery

Nvidia is not really the kind of company that gives you a lot of VRAM. They won't go from 8 to 20GB with the XX80 cards.

I expect 12. If we are lucky we are getting 16GB, but I think 12 is much more likely.

If you give people too much VRAM then customers have one reason fewer to wait with their upgrades.

The main two reasons for giving people low amounts of VRAM (like 2080 with 8GB or 2080 Ti with 11GB) is

1) cheaper for Nvidia
2) you have to buy a new graphic cards rather sooner than later.

20GB for the RTX 3080 not going to happen, unless it is the flagship model or they are really afraid of AMD/Next gen consoles.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am still sour about getting 2070 for over 500usd at launch. I feel like a looser. Only metro, quake2 and control delivered. The card itself is very fast but not 4k... It's a 1800p card

I am still sour about getting 2070 for over 500usd at launch. I feel like a looser. Only metro, quake2 and control delivered. The card itself is very fast but not 4k... It's a 1800p card

Hmm but why. It has performance equal to 1080 which was 500$ at that time also so pretty much you get all the features at same price bracket.

llien

My bet for 3070 is:

1) 5-10% faster than 2080 (with claims it is 20-25%)
2) Doubled RT performance (with even cooler claims)
3) Priced around 2080 levels (unless AMD spoils the feast)

Ellery

No need to be. Just turn settings down a bit. Very High/Ultra settings for the most part are not worth it anyway, because the baseline for development are 1.3 TFLOPs consoles anyway and games look great even on low/med settings on PC.
I still managed to play in 1440p last year on my R9 290X with tinkering the settings a bit.

Hellgardia

If the RTX 3070 won't go over the 500€ i would probably wager:
- Around RTX2080Super performance and doubled RT performance.

Less than that and it will be boring considering the node jump.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No need to be. Just turn settings down a bit. Very High/Ultra settings for the most part are not worth it anyway, because the baseline for development are 1.3 TFLOPs consoles anyway and games look great even on low/med settings on PC.
I still managed to play in 1440p last year on my R9 290X with tinkering the settings a bit.
Every game I can play maxed out at 1800p... It looks quite identical to full 4k no my 4k lg monitor. Together with 40-60z freesync, it's a great experience but the card is running at 99% all the time. Thankfully I've changed case from Define C to Phanteks p600s and those temps dropped from 72 to 64c degrees and even the gpu fans spin much slower now :)

HE1NZ

Banned
With 2070S you'll be totally fine for at least 5 more years. I have had my 970 since launch and I still have almost no issues with even the most modern games.
I'm not sure, with next gen coming and all. 1070 wasn't really enough for games released in 2019 (to play on high/ultra settings).

Ellery

So, 3080 with 2080ti like performance?

I do really hope they improve the ray tracing performance.

They have to. RayTracing is based per pixel and the performance on 4K is actually horrible even for a 2080 Ti.

I do have a normal RTX 2080 and even at 1440p I can't make full use of that feature. In most games it tanks the framerate too hard.

In my opinion Nvidia has to double the raytracing cores or substantially improve the implementation to make it worthwhile for 4K going forward. Especially for games like Cyberpunk 2077 etc.

Orta

Banned
Anybody looking for a kidney?

In (very) simple terms, how much of a leap are we looking at over the 1080/70 series?

Kenpachii

What i want to know is the nvenc codec on those things. If they push new chips on it.

We should expect the consumer GA103 card to have 10GB of GDDR6, while the pro levels cards in the Quadro RTX 3000 series to pack 20GB. NVIDIA could surprise gamers, however, offering up 20GB of VRAM on a GeForce RTX 3080, but I very much doubt that.

Luckily i bought a 1080 ti and not a 2070 super. I had the feeling 10/11gb would be the v-ram they focused on with next generation cards. with 20-24gb being reserved for TI version.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

No need to change my 2070super if the 3080 is not noticeably more powerfull than a 2080ti.

Pretty much how i feel like, 2080 super for 3070 rtx cards is laughable at best. This feels besides v-ram much like the 2000 series all over again.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Pretty much how i feel like, 2080 super for 3070 rtx cards is laughable at best. This feels besides v-ram much like the 2000 series all over again.
We can wait again for the 3000 super series :ROFLMAO:

Not gonna buy something that can't run rdr2 and cyberpunk at 4k60 high details.

Last edited:

Skyr

A decent custom 3080ti (MSI/ASUS) would be something I would consider worth upgrading from my 1080ti.
But only if it’s <1000€ which it prolly won’t be...

Celcius

°Temp. member
If the 3070 and 3080 specs are supposedly leaked, it makes me wonder if nvidia will go back to launching those first and then save the 3080 Ti and Titan for later. If so then I’ll be keeping my 11gb 1080 Ti until the big card launches.

Top Bottom