• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia is basically a giant advertisement for AMD at this point.

Agree.

Deep down I hope AMD smashes them, but Nvidia has been operating on a significantly higher R&D budget for so many years now and they are well and above AMD in engineering.

The jump from Samsung 8nm to TSMC 4N further cements my believe that AMD has no chance of closing that gap. The 30 series was a bigger chance for AMD because they were already on 7nm TSMC.

Would be awesome if AMD gets the architectural side right and releases a competitive product and I am certain they will release good price/perf products, but I doubt they have a chance to come close to the 4090.

Companies are only "customer focused" when they are the underdog. AMD also has changed their pricing structure significantly after they made a huge wave in the CPU market.
If AMD were to overtake NVidia (which I doubt) then eventually AMD is the son of the bitch again and nvidia the lovely customer focused underdog.

It is always like that. Also with Playstation and Xbox. Look at Jim Ryan vs Gamepass compared to Shawn Layden vs Always Online Xbox One Sports shitbox.

Basically cyclical.
Companies are consumer focused also when they believe it can grow their brand more or if they believe they don’t have to be scum to make the money

EDMIX

"Nvidia is charging a lot and I don't like it."

Yeah, we get it. I'm not even an Nvidia fanboy but they're just expressing pricing power. AMD steps up and then it'll be worth considering.

Agreed.

It simply depends on how AMD responds tbh.

If I'm able to get some 4090 performance from AMD, for less....I'll side with them, but the GPU I'll use for the next 7 or 8 years will depend on how AMD responds to all this.

SolidQ

Kepler is saying AMD will announce 3 models: Cut-Down Navi 31, Full Navi 31, Full Navi 31X3D, there no 7800 series

Buggy Loop

Kepler is saying AMD will announce 3 models: Cut-Down Navi 31, Full Navi 31, Full Navi 31X3D, there no 7800 series

James Earl Jones Reaction GIF

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Why would the 7800 use a different chip than the 7900?
If it's like Navi 21, the N31 chip will be used in the 7800 and 7900 range, followed by 7700 N32 and 7600 N33 (monolithic).

Last edited:

Rickyiez

Have Nvidia ever been customer focused? Seems they've gone downhill since the GTX days. I really hope AMD deliver something killer come Nov 3rd. It's sorely needed.
RTX3080 and GTX1080 Ti weren't that long ago . They both pack way more punches than their MSRP , and yes I managed to bought RTX3080 twice at MSRP around the release period .

SolidQ

Why would the 7800 use a different chip than the 7900?
If it's like Navi 21, the N31 chip will be used in the 7800 and 7900 range, followed by 7700 N32 and 7600 N33 (monolithic).
I don't know why AMD decided, stay navi31 only for 7900, but anyway AMD can change in last minute for Cut-Down Navi31 is 7800XT.
I think AMD decided to do this, because there no 6900, only XT model, and Navi 21 have also 3 model at start 6800/6800XT/6900XT. Navi 31 will be like 7900, 7900XT, 7900XT3D or 7950XT

dcx4610

I've never been an AMD fan. Every time I've tried an AMD CPU or GPU over the years, I've had problems. Still, I'm rooting for them to get better and be legit competition. This is the best time in history to do that with the EVGA fallout and now... PSU issues.

I highly recommend anyone thinking of getting a Nvidia 4X card or a new PSU any time soon to watch this video:

It feels like tech is being pushed on us that isn't ready yet. We are in new power draw territory and I kinda want to wait it out to see how everything shakes out. I don't want to be the beta tester for something that could burn my house down while I'm at work...

Last edited:
Agreed.

It simply depends on how AMD responds tbh.

If I'm able to get some 4090 performance from AMD, for less....I'll side with them, but the GPU I'll use for the next 7 or 8 years will depend on how AMD responds to all this.
I wanted to build my first pc but my gpu budget was 1.5k at maximum so it’s very dissapointing to see the 4090 price

flying_sq

Right now, Nvidia is just better. I hope AMD's chiplet design gives it a significant advantage soon, but as someone who went from a 980 to a 6900, to a 3090ti, the random problems I experienced with games using AMD I didn't think would make it past a day one driver. Let alone left broken for years. I hope AMD can provide competition, but right now you can't beat Nvidia.

Last edited:

Tams

The prices are eh.

I have no problem with halo/luxury products. I have no need for them, but if people want to buy them, they can knock themselves out. That shit's going to be expensive no matter what.

The 4080 12GB is just plain scummy with the naming though. That needs to be investigated by regulators.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I think ultimately it depends on how good DLSS 3.0 is. My hunch is that it’s very good and they know it hence the price gouge. We won’t know until the reviews though.

We really need AMD’s equivalent (with respect to DLSS) to be reasonably close in performance to make a dent in NVIDIA’s strategy. AMD has been gifted a glorious opportunity to cut into NVIDIA market share if they put out a comparable product at less price.

Also, I think people “voting with their wallets” is a pipe dream at this scale. It never does so why would it now? The only way that happens is when there is a comparable alternative at less price.

Haggard

Banned
I think ultimately it depends on how good DLSS 3.0 is. My hunch is that it’s very good and they know it hence the price gouge. We won’t know until the reviews though.
A feature artificially gated to high end premium price point hardware which also needs to be specifically implemented into the render pipeline ...

That will not show up in anything that's not sponsored by Nvidia for the foreseeable future. Just like the original DLSS was completely DOA until it went plug and play.
Until some of those factors change DLSS3 is irrelevant outside of some PR slides.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
AMD has been handed an advantage on a silver plate. And if they don't take it they frankly deserve to be languishing as also-rans for generations to come.

Nobody is asking for $300 card on par with a 4080 but with nVidia's blatant price gouging is it unreasonable to suggest AMD come up with a xx70 tier equivalent under the $500 mark?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
A feature gated to premium price point hardware which also needs to be specifically implemented into the render pipeline ...

That will not show up in anything that's not specifically sponsored by Nvidia. Just like dlss was completely DOA until it went plug and play.
Ya that’s probably true unless it really is so good that it’s too hard to to ignore especially if it’s really easy to implement.

For example imagine a scenario like Cyberpunk 2077. New game pops up showing the game running at 120 fps at 4K maxed with DLSS 3.0. They just don’t make it clear that it’s with DLSS 3.0. Could they not advertise then it runs up to the specs and market it as such? Which could further mislead gamers into thinking it’s really well optimized and increase sales?

Hope I’m wrong, but I think NVIDIA has extraordinary power in the development a sphere too.

Last edited:

twilo99

AMD has been handed an advantage on a silver plate. And if they don't take it they frankly deserve to be languishing as also-rans for generations to come.

Nobody is asking for $300 card on par with a 4080 but with nVidia's blatant price gouging is it unreasonable to suggest AMD come up with a xx70 tier equivalent under the $500 mark?

Zero chance but we might get a 7800xt for under 1000usd that can compete with the 3080 16gb.. At least that's my unrealistic expectation.

It's rasterization which is still 99% of the gaming market, yes. And in a lot of cases beats nVidia.

With RT enabled in games, it trails. We will have to see what they change on RDNA 3.

I have a hunch RDNA 3 is going to dust Lovelace in rasterisation.

Lovelace memory bandwidth being one of the big issues in this, but this is just pure speculation on my part. It also makes sense why Nvidia hyper focused on RT and DLSS during their event.

manfestival

What a time to be into computer gaming. All the latest amd cpu, gpu, intel, and nvidia stuff is dropping basically at the same time.

Hugare

i am so glad i was right :3
I'm no Nvidia fanboy, I swear. But it's so obvious why Nvidia charges a premium for their cards ...

DLSS, Nvidia Reflex, RTX cores, RTX remix, Gsync and more.

AMD is always trying to catch up in terms of new tech (specially software). Always. Everything new they create is something that they are trying to copy from Nvidia.

Nvidia is doing some Apple type shit charging some absurd prices for their products? Sure.

But just like Apple in 2007, they have technology that their competitors are always at least one step behind.

Without Gsync we wouldnt have Freesync, without DLSS no FSR, no RTX cores / no RTX cores on AMD cards, without Reflex we wouldnt have Radeon Boost and so on

They dont just come up with those inventions out of nothing. Their R&D costs must be absurd.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I'm no Nvidia fanboy, I swear. But it's so obvious why Nvidia charges a premium for their cards ...

DLSS, Nvidia Reflex, RTX cores, RTX remix, Gsync and more.

AMD is always trying to catch up in terms of new tech (specially software). Always. Everything new they create is something that they are trying to copy from Nvidia.

Nvidia is doing some Apple type shit charging some absurd prices for their products? Sure.

But just like Apple in 2007, they have technology that their competitors are always at least one step behind.

Without Gsync we wouldnt have Freesync, without DLSS no FSR, no RTX cores / no RTX cores on AMD cards, without Reflex we wouldnt have Radeon Boost and so on

They dont just come up with those inventions out of nothing. Their R&D costs must be absurd.
Nvidia certainly do innovate in this regard and I've got to hand it to them.

Nevertheless as a person who hasn't owned an AMD card for 10 years, I'm quite happy they've potentially put a GPU on the table which is actually worth buying.

I just hope FSR 2.2 matches DLSS 2.0 in picture quality.

I'm looking at FSR 2.0 vs DLSS 2.0 comparisons and FSR looks softer and often misses details.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nvidia painted themselves in a corner with their pricing, but I’m looking forward to seeing what happens in the mid range.

While I hope AMD takes marketshare away, it sounds like they’ve got nothing that compares to DLSS 3.0. This is one area where Nvidia always seems to lead the way and AMD tries to follow along.

I’m still rooting for Intel as well. Hope their next round of cards are a big improvement.

Last edited:

clampzyn

While I hope AMD takes marketshare away, it sounds like they’ve got nothing that compares to DLSS 3.0. This is one area where Nvidia always seems to lead the way and AMD tries to follow along.
Have you watched the video in full? AMD has FSR 3 in development which they claim is gonna give you 2x the fps gains.
AMD isn't given enough credits in the GPU/CPU department, AMD is like the guardian between intel and nvidia in keeping their price right even though ngreedia is going overboard already.

Last edited:

Verchod

The whole graphics card market is absurd. Four or five years ago we were looking at £700 to £800 for a top end card, which is just about reasonable. Bear in mind we are talking about a domestic level card.
Now the price is double that for top end. I don't care if some people can afford that, it's ridiculous. I think many have lost sight of what it is.

It's just a graphics card

The reality is that Nvidia is Apple, they set the prices.

AMD follows and prices according to their own internal benchmarking of their performance, minus maybe 10% because of their lower reputation.

The problem has always been that AMD is perceived to be lower quality than Nvidia so they always have to undercut but AMD are also not stupid and also capitalist and a corporation so they never undercut by very much because they like money too.

This is the same reason why every time Apple raises prices, Samsung does too.

The reasonable pricing for the 3000 series was a step in the right direction, well you couldn't even buy them due to no stock, retailers over Charing and scalpers.

I'd buy and but unfortunately have a g sync monitor so I'm locked in to Nvidia.

Buggy Loop

With AMD confirming that 7900XTX is supposed to compete against 4080, not 4090, it's kind of all sad honestly.

RDNA 2 vs Ampere was a much tighter fight. Even at the absurd $1,499$ 3090 price vs the $999 6090XT, AMD legit beat the top dog for cheaper at rasterization except maybe a slight 4k disadvantage, for RT well we all know.

3080 @ $699 and 6800XT @ $659, that looked expensive back then, remember?

Fucking hell, 7900XTX competing for 80 series at $999 while 4080 at $1200.

Makes the 4090 look like the better deal because we are now looking at the top dog that seems to be unmatched at anything, even rasterization, unlike 3090. I'm not touching any GPU this gen as i'm really fine with the 3080 Ti, but i wouldn't buy anything under 4090 if i did. What's under 4090 is price gouging, both sides.

Last edited:

Crayon

Okay all, AMD delivered.

Now all that's left to do is hope nvidia drops their prices and buy them anyway when they don't.

With AMD confirming that 7900XTX is supposed to compete against 4080, not 4090, it's kind of all sad honestly.

RDNA 2 vs Ampere was a much tighter fight. Even at the absurd $1,499$ 3090 price vs the $999 6090XT, AMD legit beat the top dog for cheaper at rasterization except maybe a slight 4k disadvantage, for RT well we all know.

3080 @ $699 and 6800XT @ $659, that looked expensive back then, remember?

Fucking hell, 7900XTX competing for 80 series at $999 while 4080 at $1200.

Makes the 4090 look like the better deal because we are now looking at the top dog that seems to be unmatched at anything, even rasterization, unlike 3090. I'm not touching any GPU this gen as i'm really fine with the 3080 Ti, but i wouldn't buy anything under 4090 if i did. What's under 4090 is price gouging, both sides.

I don't think it's sad at all. Real world benchmarks on the performance are still pending once these cards get released but based on speculation and extrapolation:

Close to 4090 on rasterization, 3090-ish RT performance, with display port 2.1 is not a bad deal.

RT IMO is still a gimmick, and the implementation of it by these luxurious 'RT tensor cores' in their GPU's needs to be dismantled by AMD and Intel by better software and alternative hardware solutions (get the CPU to play a better and more involved role in it, giving GPU a break)

Buggy Loop

I don't think it's sad at all. Real world benchmarks on the performance are still pending once these cards get released but based on speculation and extrapolation:

Close to 4090 on rasterization, 3090-ish RT performance, with display port 2.1 is not a bad deal.

RT IMO is still a gimmick, and the implementation of it by these luxurious 'RT tensor cores' in their GPU's needs to be dismantled by AMD and Intel by better software and alternative hardware solutions (get the CPU to play a better and more involved role in it, giving GPU a break)

If it was close to 4090 in rasterization they would have put the 4090 in the slides and brag. They didn't. Now they're lowering expectations publicly that it's competing against the 4080 so.. I think the "up to" part for so so few titles presented compared to what they did with RDNA 2 will end up as being a cold shower on review day when we get the real benchmarks.

Hey, you can @ me if i'm ever wrong in a few weeks, i don't mind. Just something about all this is not convincing. They were way more confident with RDNA 2.

Okay all, AMD delivered.

Now all that's left to do is hope nvidia drops their prices and buy them anyway when they don't.
Haha, imagine thinking any of these people will actually buy a $1000 video card if they couldn't afford a $1200 or $1600 one.

This is the "I'm moving to Canada if Trump wins" of video cards. Everyone knows you aren't.

Crayon

Haha, imagine thinking any of these people will actually buy a $1000 video card if they couldn't afford a $1200 or $1600 one.

This is the "I'm moving to Canada if Trump wins" of video cards. Everyone knows you aren't.

I heard this 1,000=1,600 and 600=0 bullshit a few times now and I'm not buyin it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom