• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Gojeran

I decided to stick it out with the Asus. Hope I won't regret it!

I'm sure you'll be fine for me it was just like well I wanted msi first and had a chance to snag it before having to pay a restock fee or anything so I went for it. I've owned asus msi and evga cards before and never had any major issues with any of them really.

10171 on Firestrike.

27492 on Cloud Gate.

Major coil whine when at 400+ fps on Cloud Gate. MSI 970. Is that normal at such high fps? Will it go away in time?

10251 and 27873 this time with my new MSI 970. Still some coil whine at high FPS but not as much, and doesnt seem to be a problem elsewhere. VSYNC fixes that fine. Card seems to run fine.

Right now it is idling at 49c though which is much higher than reviews stated it would. Granted its 30c right now so maybe I shouldnt test that until it cools down.

Serandur

Just placed my order for a second 970 to replace the first; I'm going to ship the noisier (coil whine/buzz) one of the two back after I get the second one.

Should I give in to temptation and try SLI a bit while I have the chance? I'd probably end up deciding I want two for keeps and waste some more money.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Many websites have the Gigabyte G1 in stock here in France, I could not resist to order a second one (345€ instead of 360€), I should receive it tomorrow :D

I hope this one can reach the same overclock as the one I have (+150MHz GPU, +500 VRAM) and has no coil whine.

Evo X

Jesus Christ at that Gigabyte coil whine video.

So is this only a problem affecting 970s? Because my 980 doesn't make any noises like that, even at high fps. If that's the case, I'd pay the premium just to not hear that shit. lol.

Also, spoke with Seasonic. They said I can order an additional PCI-E cable directly from their supplier for 7 bucks, so I should be rocking SLI 980s soon enough. I really hope that 4GB of VRAM doesn't become a concern because from a pure GPU horsepower perspective, a pair of 980s should be able to max most games at 1440P for a good while.

Hello fellow GAFers, I have a question. I want to buy the GTX 980 but I am not sure if my current processor would be bottlenecking the GPU and holding it back.

I have a i5-3570k and currently have a GTX 680 OC 4gig. If my processor is an issue then I will hold off untill I can buy both at the same time.

Also has there been any mention yet on when the 980 6gig models would be coming out?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
10623777_10154719622300038_1708493871197043935_o.jpg

Awww yes. Can't wait to get back to my PC after work and get these beasts in.

Quick question though, my motherboard PCI Express is 2.0. Shouldn't be a problem with these right?

10623777_10154719622300038_1708493871197043935_o.jpg

Awww yes. Can't wait to get back to my PC after work and get these beasts in.

Quick question though, my motherboard PCI Express is 2.0. Shouldn't be a problem with these right?

em wholly depends on your mb. It could be limited to 8x lanes per card. That could limit the GPUs quite a bit actually depending upon the game and what is going on.

Guy.brush

I just tried A New Dawn. I can hear the coil whine when I start it and it's on the loading screen, but once the actual demo starts, the sounds goes away completely.

I'm guessing that the simplicity of the loading screen causes my fps to jump to something in the hundreds, and that's why I'm hearing it there.

When the card is under real load, I get no coil whine at all. I also don't get it during the loading screen if I turn on vsync either.

I've got an msi 970 btw.

also get coil whine with my TITAN when I'm in e.g. the CryENGINE SDK editor starting up. I get hundreds of FPS there so the card goes WEEEEEE. There are CVARs to cap the framerate to 60/120 and then the whine goes away.

well guys, I have a dilemma. I've been thinking in upgrading my GTX 780 for 970 or 980. I know there won't be a significant performance gap between my 780 and 970, so I still don't know if the upgrade is worth it.. the thing is, I've been offered to trade my GTX 780 + 200€ for a Gigabyte GTX 980, and I'm not sure if the deal is worth it.

what do you think guys?

riflen

"Quit a bit" might stretch it.
Results with 780ti in SLI

I can't read the article text because it's in German, but from what I'm able to discern, it looks like the point of the article was to test PCIE 3.0 at 8x and up. If I'm wrong about that, then fair enough.

The poster Dictator was replying to, states that his board is PCIE 2.0 only. Depending on the board, it's a real possibility that he may be limited to PCIE 2.0 8x when using two GPUs. This is equivalent to PCIE 3.0 4x speeds, which could be a problem in a lot of cases.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
My motherboard is an asus p8p67-m pro b3 with its latest bios version. I am hoping it's only a few percentage difference as will plan to build a new tower at some point but want to wait on the next CPU line.

2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x16, x8, x8 or x16, x16, x1)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1

riflen

My motherboard is an asus p8p67-m pro b3 with its latest bios version. I am hoping it's only a few percentage difference as will plan to build a new tower at some point but want to wait on the next CPU line.

If I read that correctly, you can have two GPUs at PCIE 2.0 16x (which is equivalent to PCIE 3.0 8x). I'd say you'll be OK, as I run 2 x 780 Ti at these speeds and don't have a problem using the cards at their full potential.

Shaldome

I can't read the article text because it's in German, but from what I'm able to discern, it looks like the point of the article was to test PCIE 3.0 at 8x and up. If I'm wrong about that, then fair enough.

The poster Dictator was replying to, states that his board is PCIE 2.0 only. Depending on the board, it's a real possibility that he may be limited to PCIE 2.0 8x when using two GPUs. This is equivalent to PCIE 3.0 4x speeds, which could be a problem in a lot of cases.

Ah my bad. I somehow thought it was about 16 or 8 lanes. Althoug if I google pcie 2.0 vs 3.0 the difference is even smaller.

Sexy, report back on SLI temps please!

Same thing I bought. In 3DMark Firestrike: GPU1 = 71 max, GPU2 = 67 max. Closed case, intake fan on side panel beside cards. Haven't dipped into overclocking or managing the fan curve myself yet. I want to say the fans capped out at 60% in 3DMark.

Dave_6

Heard coil whine on my G1 970 last night for the first time, but it was during Crysis opening logo sequence and the framerate was over 3000 lol. Haven't heard it any other time.

I did try some OCing with no success. Managed to crash Firestrike and get the 'display driver stopped working' error so I put it back to stock. I'm a GPU overclocking noob.

riflen

I mean the connectors, not the power draw...

Well, different GPU vendors might choose to change the design depending on requirements, but NVIDIA say the 970 reference card requires 2 x 6-pin PCIE connectors.

Your PSU only provides 1 x PCIE 6-pin connector, but you can always adapt from IDE/SATA to PCIE.
Depending on the card vendor, you might even find an adapter included with the GPU itself. Card vendor's website will tell you what's included in the box.

garath

My ASUS STRIX 970 shipped from Newegg last night. Damn California though :( If it was NJ I'd have it tomorrow. Guess the first stock will always hit CA.

Oh well. I'm waiting patiently (or not so patiently) until Thursday. Greatly looking forward to taking a few games through their paces when I get it. Going to have to try some Skyrim mods.

Thrakier

Well, different GPU vendors might choose to change the design depending on requirements, but NVIDIA say the 970 reference card requires 2 x 6-pin PCIE connectors.

Your PSU only provides 1 x PCIE 6-pin connector, but you can always adapt from IDE/SATA to PCIE.
Depending on the card vendor, you might even find an adapter included with the GPU itself. Card vendor's website will tell you what's included in the box.

I thought about the ASUS or the MSI:..one of these. So I have to buy an adaptor before I can use the card? Can you point out which one exactly?

Sexy, report back on SLI temps please!

i have the same cards. overclocked +100mhz and they run wonderfully, probably max at about 70c while gaming.

edit: i had the evga acx 1.0 cards first, but traded them in after hearing the ridiculous noise of the fans while gaming. these msi cards are cooler, quieter and better looking. (imo)

Vuze

Same thing I bought. In 3DMark Firestrike: GPU1 = 71 max, GPU2 = 67 max. Closed case, intake fan on side panel beside cards. Haven't dipped into overclocking or managing the fan curve myself yet. I want to say the fans capped out at 60% in 3DMark.

i have the same cards. overclocked +100mhz and they run wonderfully, probably max at about 70c while gaming.

edit: i had the evga acx 1.0 cards first, but traded them in after hearing the ridiculous noise of the fans while gaming. these msi cards are cooler, quieter and better looking. (imo)
Cheers, good to hear! That's only few degrees higher than what my single one runs at 90ish % load, I was a bit worried that two of these in SLI could get a bit hot. Guess I'll also go with a second MSI later then.

UrbanRats

Ok so i was about to pull the plug on an MSI 970, but before i finalized the order, i just remembered that, installing my EVGA 780 (if you're wondering why i want to switch from a 780 to a 970, it's a long story, but i'm not crazy) i was super tight close to my case's fan, with the PSU wires to the GPU, and that GPU is much shorter in height (11cm, versus 14cm of the msi).
The problem is that those goddamn PSU wires do not want to bend for about 4 to 5 cm, and i'm wasting a lot of space, all due to (i think) that black tape:

pcie6-2-jpg.57637

So i'm wondering, can i just cut that out and try to bend them more, to get the 970 in, or does that tape serves some major purpose, beyond keeping the wires together in a nice bundle?

riflen

Ok so i was about to pull the plug on an MSI 970, but before i finalized the order, i just remembered that, installing my EVGA 780 (if you're wondering why i want to switch from a 780 to a 970, it's a long story, but i'm not crazy) i was super tight close to my case's fan, with the PSU wires to the GPU, and that GPU is much shorter in height (11cm, versus 14cm of the msi).
The problem is that those goddamn PSU wires do not want to bend for about 4 to 5 cm, and i'm wasting a lot of space, all due to (i think) that black tape:

pcie6-2-jpg.57637

So i'm wondering, can i just cut that out and try to bend them more, to get the 970 in, or does that tape serves some major purpose, beyond keeping the wires together in a nice bundle?

It's called heat shrink.
The tubing provides good electrical insulation, protection from dust, solvents and other foreign materials, and mechanical strain relief, and is mechanically held in place (unless incorrectly oversized or not properly shrunk) by its tight fit.

It's up to you. You can probably remove it without issue. People often use individually sleeved cables without heat shrink for these PCIE connectors and presumably have no problems to speak of.

UrbanRats

It's called heat shrink.

It's up to you. You can probably remove it without issue. People often use individually sleeved cables without heat shrink for these PCIE connectors and presumably have no problems to speak of.

Ah i see.
I would just like a little more wiggle room with the cabling because that damn side fan of the case, is millimeters away from touching the cables, so it's a miracle the 780 even fit, in that sense.
Another option would be to find a 970 with the pin connectors on the back, instead of the side, but i don't think there is one.

Or i could cut a little piece off of the heat shrink (instead of removing all of it), see if that gives me enough flexibility to bend the cables at a more 90° angle.

Alright, so I discovered that my ASUS Strix 970 is having coil whine too when it renders hundreds of fps with v-synch disabled.
Should I send it back or is this normal?

derExperte

Alright, so I discovered that my ASUS Strix 970 is having coil whine too when it renders hundreds of fps with v-synch disabled.
Should I send it back or is this normal?

Most cards will have that issue beyond a few hundred fps. Some may be better, some worse but doing an exchange would risk getting a card that has whine where your current one doesn't.

Most cards will have that issue beyond a few hundred fps. Some may be better, some worse but doing an exchange would risk getting a card that has whine where your current one doesn't.

I'll just keep it then, right? As long as it doesn't happen with v-synch enabled I'm fine with it. I'm playing all of my games v-synched anyway.

Korezo

My 970 only buzzes when I first start my pc and play for the 1st 15mins then it completely goes away for as long as the pc is on. If it rven is my gpu making the buzz, now I think its my mb or psu.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how widespread and bad are the coil whine problems with the 970s? I ordered 2 but my supplier says the asus will take ages and he can get gigabyte

the case im getting is a fractal design R4 if that helps any (since I believe it has noise dampening?)

I just encountered the first coil whine i've heard from my msi 970. I was running the sky diving 3D mark when I heard that high pitched grinding noise. It wasnt that loud. The antec fan (that i'm about to ditch once I find a more quieter fan) was louder than the whine. It lasted for about less than 10 seconds. So far i'm not worried about the whine. I have yet to hear it while playing a game.

pcie6-2-jpg.57637

I trimmed the wrap on my 6-pin PSU cables about an inch and I've had no problems about 3 years on. The cables were hitting the side of my case.

Cheers, good to hear! That's only few degrees higher than what my single one runs at 90ish % load, I was a bit worried that two of these in SLI could get a bit hot. Guess I'll also go with a second MSI later then.

Ok, I just manually set the fan to 90%. You can see the effect of the top card pulling hot air off of the bottom.

3DMark max temps @ 90% fan: 65 and 56

It would be nice if I could put the bottom card into the lowest slot on my motherboard, but I don't believe that would work for SLI.

Top Bottom