• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

b0bbyJ03

Just came in to contribute my experience with the 970 for any interested. I purchased the EVGA with ACX 1.0 and yes, the coil wine is real. lol. I have my pc hooked up to a plasma tv with a home theater so I don't hear it at all. i knew this going in and thought the coil wine was acceptable. I will say, if you are sensitive to it, then don't buy this card. otherwise the performance is beastly for the money. I sold my Galaxy GTX 780 HOF edition to get this card and I am not disappointed. Getting higher frame rates and less screen tearing (first thing i noticed), a lot less. the card runs pretty cool overall but for the record i don't plan to over-clock it.

I want to buy the GTX 980 but I am not sure if my current processor would be bottlenecking the GPU and holding it back. I have a i5-3570k and currently have a EVGA GTX 680 4gig OC. If my processor is an issue then I will hold off until I can buy both at the same time. Whats your opinion fellow GAFers?

Also has there been any mention yet on when the 980 6gig models would be coming out?

Addnan

I want to buy the GTX 980 but I am not sure if my current processor would be bottlenecking the GPU and holding it back. I have a i5-3570k and currently have a EVGA GTX 680 4gig OC. If my processor is an issue then I will hold off until I can buy both at the same time. Whats your opinion fellow GAFers?

Also has there been any mention yet on when the 980 6gig models would be coming out?

No way, 3570K is still one of the best CPUs out there. I am going SLI 970s with my 3570K.

mkenyon

Banned

3570K still a beast. Just make sure it's overclocked.

No 6 gigs will be coming out. Maybe 8GB in the future.

AmyS

I'm hoping a single 970 or 980, one of the overclocked or superclocked cards, will be enough for GTA V with Ultra settings, 1080p | 60 without having to resort to SLI.

belmonkey

Is there any reason people keep thinking there's going to be a 6GB version of the 970 / 980? I'm pretty sure GPU mem configs tend to be multiples of the original, meaning a 4GB would have an 8GB version later on.

Got my EVGA 970 SC with ACX 2.0. Installation was easy and the performance is fantastic! Can max out pretty much anything in my Steam Library.

Unfortunately, I have been getting some Coil Whine. :/ It only rears it's head in a handful of circumstances (menus for a few games if V-Sync is off, and Borderlands 2 brings it out for some reason.)

Debating on if I should RMA it.

Any tips on limiting the coil whine?

mkenyon

Banned
Is there any reason people keep thinking there's going to be a 6GB version of the 970 / 980? I'm pretty sure GPU mem configs tend to be multiples of the original, meaning a 4GB would have an 8GB version later on.
Yes, because GK110 had 6GB as the high memory variant. They assume since this is a 980 (compared to 780), it will be like that one.

Most folks don't understand that the 970/980 is the mid-tier maxwell chip, or even how memory interface equates to different memory sizes. They really shouldn't be expected to, either :p

So I want to connect my TV to my 970 is addition to the multiple monitors I already have.

I still want my main monitor to be the primary screen but have games output to TV when it's connected. It would be annoying to have to switch the primary display every time I want to play. Swapping screens around always results in all my window settings getting screwed and sometimes windows end up stuck off screen.

Additionally I have a 3D monitor that I also sometimes use that I'd like to be able to swap to.

Any way to quickly swap which screen games open on without changing primary?

Got my EVGA 970 SC with ACX 2.0. Installation was easy and the performance is fantastic! Can max out pretty much anything in my Steam Library.

Unfortunately, I have been getting some Coil Whine. :/ It only rears it's head in a handful of circumstances (menus for a few games if V-Sync is off, and Borderlands 2 brings it out for some reason.)

Debating on if I should RMA it.

Any tips on limiting the coil whine?

I went into Nvidia control panel and set VSYNC on for all settings. I RMAd my first MSI970 because the coil whine was really bad and turning VSYNC on didnt always fix it. Got my second MSI970 yesterday and so far it seems that it only whines at high FPS, but still much less than my first card. With VSYNC it's a nonissue so the only time I hear it is in benchmarks when I let it run wild.

970s do seem to have coil whine a lot more commonly than most cards. My old 570 that the 970 replaced never whined once.

b0bbyJ03

Can anyone explain how to activate DSR? i went into the Nvidia control panel and set DSR Factors to 4 X the native resolution but when i started shadow of mordor nothing happened. Is there another setting i have to activate?

CentroXer

Banned
when comes to branding, Asus has always been the quietest graphics cards imo.

I have had terrible coil whine with gigabyte cards.

how widespread and bad are the coil whine problems with the 970s? I ordered 2 but my supplier says the asus will take ages and he can get gigabyte

the case im getting is a fractal design R4 if that helps any (since I believe it has noise dampening?)

MSI and Gigabyte seem to be the worst offenders at the moment juding by this thread. EVGA to a certain extent, but at least you have 3 (or 5 if you are in the EU) years of warranty with them which minimizes the risk of future issues.

Asus had some other issue if I remember correctly and they have the worst customer support.

Gumbie

So I want to connect my TV to my 970 is addition to the multiple monitors I already have.

I still want my main monitor to be the primary screen but have games output to TV when it's connected. It would be annoying to have to switch the primary display every time I want to play. Swapping screens around always results in all my window settings getting screwed and sometimes windows end up stuck off screen.

Additionally I have a 3D monitor that I also sometimes use that I'd like to be able to swap to.

I went into Nvidia control panel and set VSYNC on for all settings. I RMAd my first MSI970 because the coil whine was really bad and turning VSYNC on didnt always fix it. Got my second MSI970 yesterday and so far it seems that it only whines at high FPS, but still much less than my first card. With VSYNC it's a nonissue so the only time I hear it is in benchmarks when I let it run wild.

970s do seem to have coil whine a lot more commonly than most cards. My old 570 that the 970 replaced never whined once.

There's a setting in steam big picture mode where you can tell it which monitor to start on. After big picture starts any games opened in it with open on that same monitor as well. If you've got a xbox controller you can hold down the guide button to start big picture mode without a keyboard and mouse.

how widespread and bad are the coil whine problems with the 970s? I ordered 2 but my supplier says the asus will take ages and he can get gigabyte

the case im getting is a fractal design R4 if that helps any (since I believe it has noise dampening?)
I have the evga 970 in fractal r4 case and don't hear anything

zXe

Got my shiny new msi 970 today, have a question though. Is this normal?

b0bd9950a1d5a60a387d22f942ba9e2e.png

Edit - Also look at these clocks in OC mode when running a game (for example shadow of mordor)

fc635bc3f8782bfe2015f036ac55ca56.png

Kezen

Banned
MSI and Gigabyte seem to be the worst offenders at the moment juding by this thread. EVGA to a certain extent, but at least you have 3 (or 5 if you are in the EU) years of warranty with them which minimizes the risk of future issues.

Asus had some other issue if I remember correctly and they have the worst customer support.

Where I live the ASUS Strix has a 3 year warranty. That helps for sure.

I'm hearing many reports of coil whine and fans issues on MSI, something a bios can fix hopefully.

Can anyone explain how to activate DSR? i went into the Nvidia control panel and set DSR Factors to 4 X the native resolution but when i started shadow of mordor nothing happened. Is there another setting i have to activate?

Activating it in the Nvidia control panel only enables them as resolution options, it doesn't enact them.

Go into the game video options and up your resolution there. As long as the game supports those resolutions, the ones you selected in the nvidia cp should be available to chose.

garath

All it should do is unlock higher resolutions in the game's dropdown. Check that out.

There's a setting in steam big picture mode where you can tell it which monitor to start on. After big picture starts any games opened in it with open on that same monitor as well. If you've got a xbox controller you can hold down the guide button to start big picture mode without a keyboard and mouse.

Oh fantastic, so even if my game isn't from Steam I can add it to my games list and start it from there, enabling me to use Big Picture.

Man, I remember back when Steam was a big pile of shit and now it's a beautiful product saving my butt. Thank you!

Grief.exe

Change your resolution within Shadow of Mordor. The game actually,natively supports downsampling.

SpotAnime

Yep, Windows Key + P will allow you to send the display to a different monitor. Keep in mind if you are playing full-screen you might have to just duplicate the display. I was having trouble sending games launched via Origin in full screen to my second monitor (HDTV) so duplicating solved this. You can also add Origin (or any non-Steam game) to your Steam library and launch it through Big Picture Mode. If you configure BPM like a previous commenter mentioned you can start it on your HDTV automatically and keep your monitor for web browsing.

Zeth

Got my shiny new msi 970 today, have a question though. Is this normal?

b0bd9950a1d5a60a387d22f942ba9e2e.png

Edit - Also this is my clocks in OC mode when running a game for example shadow of mordor

fc635bc3f8782bfe2015f036ac55ca56.png

What is that on the right? Newer version of Afterburner?

zXe

It's the msi app that came with my msi 970. You can select different modes for the gpu. Silent runs it at low clocks and the fans don't spin, gaming stock rates then OC mode which is the full spec clocks. For some reason my core clocks seem to be much higher than what it should be though...

Xyber

It's the msi app that came with my msi 970. You can select different modes for the gpu. Silent runs it a low clocks, gaming stock then oc mode which is the full clocks. For some reason my core clocks seem to be much higher than what it should be though...

The highest boost clock can go over the boost clock you see in the first tab in GPU-Z. So that is perfectly fine,

zXe

Awesome! though I'll make sure to keep an eye on the temps, but most intense graphical games it runs around 60c. Mordor pushers it to around 70c at full load.

Thanks for the help!

Zafir

Well, I actually don't think they're the worst offenders for it. I think they just happen to be the two most popular cards, thus you're hearing more reports from them. I think all manufacturers offer a risk of it.

Been doing some overclocking testing today, and I figured I'd share results.

System

Test run on Steam demo version of 3DMark installed to Samsung 840 Pro 256GB. All components at stock except for graphics cards. All overclocking done with MSI Afterburner. Power limit set to 110%. All temperatures are from setting fans to 70% in Afterburner. I also moved the bottom intake fan in the case and made it a side intake fan, case fans at high setting unless noted.

Code:
Core OC   |   Memory OC   |   Core Clock   |   Memory Clock   |   Score Score   |   Gain   |   Tmax 
Stock                              1329               7010          14555
+52               +0               1380               7010          14824           +269
+104              +0               1430               7010          15070           +246       69/60
+130              +0               1459               7010          15215           +145       70/61
+156              +0               1485               7010          15261           +46        70/62
+156              +125             1485               7258          15405           +144       70/62
+156              +250             1485               7516          15692           +287       70/62
+156              +375             1485               7762          15768           +76        73/64 (Case @ Medium)
+169              +375             1497               7762          15862           +104       70/62
+182              +375             1511               7762          15924           +62        72/63
+182              +500             1511               8002          16016           +92        73/63
So total gain from stock is +1461. I figure that's enough for today. I tried watching for both, and I never noticed the core being throttled back or any artifacts.

Kezen

Banned
Anybody has any experience/feedback with PNY? Its the only one on stock but Ive never used that brand.
Never heard anything good about this brand for GPU. I'd say avoid, there is a reason why the most talked brands are MSI, Gigabyte, EVGA and ASUS. They are the more reliable.

Mohasus

Anybody has any experience/feedback with PNY? Its the only one on stock but Ive never used that brand.

I have a reference GTX660 from them, no problems.

Their support always answered my email (I had to ask for a new BIOS to support fast boot on windows 8).

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
If you don't have a 6+2 extension (only 6 pins) then you need to buy an adaptator.
Otherwise, 6+2 is absolutely fine if your GPU requires 8 pins.

Cool. I was sure that this was the case (otherwise why bother with the +2 extension?) but better safe than sorry. :lol

Anyone here with sli setup and gsync display? Does that eliminate microstuttering?

SLI hasnt had series microstutter in most applications for quite a long time now actually.

It is usually the applications fault, not SLI. On average Gsync helps with any framerate inconsistencies btw.

Kezen

Banned
SLI hasnt had series microstutter in most applications for quite a long time now actually.

It is usually the applications fault, not SLI. On average Gsync helps with any framerate inconsistencies btw.

You have 3 570s, right ? Aren't you fed up by SLI ?
From my perspective it's more trouble than it's worth, salvage what you can out of them and get yourself a 980.

Or maybe you have finally made the jump to a 970 SLI, I just remembered ! You were asking what type of cooling would make the most sense, yes I remember.

You have 3 570s, right ? Aren't you fed up by SLI ?
From my perspective it's more trouble than it's worth, salvage what you can out of them and get yourself a 980.

I get fed up with it definitely when a game's SLI profile doesn't come out at game launch, or when devs don't support it in their games fully. I cannot hate SLI when it makes games run so well.

But yeah, I think next time around I will be getting a very powerful single card with so much VRAM I can just forget about it. It would be nice to not have to play a waiting game with Nvidia profiles or dev support. :D BTW, oddly enough, I have not experienced any situation yet beyond metro redux where Tri-SLI doesn't scale really well. That surprised me quite a bit!

TronLight

You know, I was hellbent on buying the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970, but I read something about the EVGA FTW with the ACX 2.0 cooler and it looks about the same. Better clocks, better at noise, a bit worse when it comes to temps (like, 3°C difference over the G1 at full load).

The best thing is that it's about 8cm shorter, EVGA's sites has it at 241mm, my case is "tested" for cards up to 307mm, the G1 is 312, I think I could squeeze it in there but I don't want to risk it. :lol

To everyone here who bought the EVGA, how is it?

You know, I was hellbent on buying the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970, but I read something about the EVGA FTW with the ACX 2.0 cooler and it looks about the same. Better clocks, better at noise, a bit worse when it comes to temps (like, 3°C difference over the G1 at full load).

The best thing is that it's about 8cm shorter, EVGA's sites has it at 241mm, my case is "tested" for cards up to 307mm, the G1 is 312, I think I could squeeze it in there but I don't want to risk it. :lol

To everyone here who bought the EVGA, how is it?

The Windforce 3X is good for cooling up to 450W which is usually an extreme overclocking thing before going to open loop water. If you're going to run it stock you won't notice any difference whatsoever.

TronLight

The Windforce 3X is good for cooling up to 450W which is usually an extreme overclocking thing before going to open loop water. If you're going to run it stock you won't notice any difference whatsoever.

Yeah I know. I wanted Gigabyte because my 570 is one, and it has the Windforce3x which is great (running with the pre-applied OC), so I wanted to play it safe. :lol

Top Bottom