• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Xpliskin

FML, placed my order for the G1 yesterday today they send a mail saying they're out of stock. I can't flip my desk at work.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

fake EDIT:
They ask me to choose between these without additional fees:
- EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SuperClocked with ACX 1.0 Cooling
- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! OMEGA Edition

Wth is ACX 1.0 ? Is it good ?

Well the second 970 improved my 3dmark score a bit. Surprised how easy SLI was to get up and running (after a frantic treasure hunt for an SLI bridge)

jNl8DNfnUEEtw.jpg

The 10200 score is a single card at 1400/1475 boost, and the other two are stock and at the same overclock respectively.

Nice that the second card holds the same overclock - before I give it to my brother I might put it in alone and see if I can push it harder than my original card.

But yeah, it's nice, but not worth $430. I'll maybe keep it long enough to finish Crysis 3 and Evil Within.

I'm particularly impressed by the temperatures - still hovering around 60 once I turned the fans up a little. Not like I can hear them anyways. Top card runs a little hotter though, around 6-8 degrees during benchmarks.

Also surprised what a hog Crysis 3 is...I can play it with MSAA but I don't like sub-60 framerates. I'd imagine my CPU is holding me back here.

Mind posting your GPU scores?

Yeah, Crysis 3 loves hyperthreading.

zXe

Looking for a new card, so would would upgrading from a 570 to a 980 be huge?

Well I had a 570 and jumped to the 970, and that was massive, so yes. 570 -980 would be very huge...

Hey everyone I have a small request. I couldn't find a PC performance thread for Splinter Cell Blacklist and was wondering if anyone with these cards who have the game could test it out. You see I'm getting some strange stuttering when I run the game, which feels more like mouse stutter as fraps indicates no actual fps drops when the stutters happen. But I've tried everything I can think of. DX9 mode and DX11, turning off individual settings, but it's still there. Just thought maybe someone else who had one of these cards could run the game and see if they notice anything similar.

Thanks

Thrakier

I got my MSI 970 today. Silent as fuck and no amount of coil whine worth noting, just the typical nvidia buzzing (I don't bother with framerates higher than 60 though). Overall super great, seems like a very solid product. I mean I can play next car game with fans of...and when they barely kick in when I hit 62 degrees and that with an OC of +125 and +500...very very nice.

Performance doesn't seem like a super huge jump from my 670 but good enough and the silence alone is worth it. It'll bring me through the next two years.

Any benchmarks I should do?

Thrakier

I can't find the DSR settings anywhere in the driver or geforce experience. Got the latest stuff, fresh install. Any ideas?

Mupod

I can't find the DSR settings anywhere in the driver or geforce experience. Got the latest stuff, fresh install. Any ideas?

Make sure to check global settings in the control panel. It's not game specific, you just enable it and suddenly all supported games will have higher resolution options available in-game.

I tried running Crysis 1 downsampled from 4k last night and the stuttering was crazy. It looked awesome though.

Xpliskin

After an angry call luckily the shop restocked on MSI's and they even managed to ship it today, can't wait.
Didn't hear good things about EVGA ACX 1.0 /Zorro for the 970, completely biased opinion though.

The Gigabyte G1 is very long, 312 mm, it wouldn't have fit in my case lol.
I'll probably get it next time when I upgrade, I'll be going SLI this time around.

Renzoku

Banned
Is there a consensus yet on the best 970 card, or at least a better one than a few weeks ago? I'm still eyeing the G1 Gigabyte, but I can't find the thing anywhere.

Xpliskin

Is there a consensus yet on the best 970 card, or at least a better one than a few weeks ago? I'm still eyeing the G1 Gigabyte, but I can't find the thing anywhere.

Reddit consensus is MSI / Gigabyte are the best bang for your buck.

G1 comes with a backplate, has a higher clock and higher OC potential.
G1 supports more screens if you want to control air traffic at home.
MSI's are quieter, smaller.
Less reported cases of coil whine on MSI's (completely subjective, not accurate).
Both support 4k res.

IMO you can't go wrong by buying one of the two, I'd have gone with G1 but it doesn't fit.

OrangeOak

My 970 from MSI won't go higher than 1284MHz :(
It's not that bad but it is pretty poor in comparison with cards from reviews and other people scores.
I never had too much luck with my cards.

Thrakier

Make sure to check global settings in the control panel. It's not game specific, you just enable it and suddenly all supported games will have higher resolution options available in-game.

I tried running Crysis 1 downsampled from 4k last night and the stuttering was crazy. It looked awesome though.

You had to allow custom resolutions first in the normal display settings...otherwise DSR wouldn't show up.

Mupod

Those are kinda low for 970 SLI.

My score on Fire Strike:

SLI: 17313
Single: 10525

it's my motherboard/cpu. I'm waiting until next year to upgrade those, as I said earlier I'm not keeping the second 970.

I'm interested in seeing the scores an overclocked 980 would get with a 2500k. I'd imagine it would be very close to what I'm getting right now with 970x2.

garath

it's my motherboard/cpu. I'm waiting until next year to upgrade those, as I said earlier I'm not keeping the second 970.

I'm interested in seeing the scores an overclocked 980 would get with a 2500k. I'd imagine it would be very close to what I'm getting right now with 970x2.

What's your 2500k overclocked to?

zXe

My 970 from MSI won't go higher than 1284MHz :(
It's not that bad but it is pretty poor in comparison with cards from reviews and other people scores.
I never had too much luck with my cards.

Are you in OC mode with the MSI gaming app? Mines has reached 1400mhz.

So has anyone who ordered an Asus 970 off Amazon in the past week even gotten an email telling them when stock is expected in. I'm wondering if I should just cancel my order and pick up something else.

I'd rather not have to wait one or two weeks just to get an ETA.

garath

So has anyone who ordered an Asus 970 off Amazon in the past week even gotten an email telling them when stock is expected in. I'm wondering if I should just cancel my order and pick up something else.

I'd rather not have to wait one or two weeks just to get an ETA.

If you're in the US, keep an eye on Newegg. I had an order in for a Gigabyte from Amazon for a few days but saw Newegg got some stock in for the Asus so I just canceled my Amazon and picked up the Newegg one.

If you're in the US, keep an eye on Newegg. I had an order in for a Gigabyte from Amazon for a few days but saw Newegg got some stock in for the Asus so I just canceled my Amazon and picked up the Newegg one.

Yeah, I see that Newegg has the Gigabyte in stock right now. I'd cancel my Asus and pick that up, but my case is too small to hold the Gigabyte, it's just too long.

I'd much rather get the Asus because it fits and I've had good experiences with their cards in the past.

It just sucks that Amazon either isn't getting any in stock or just has a wait list a thousand miles long. Frustrating to say the least. I've got an auto notify alert on Newegg, so if they get some in first I'll go with them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
while my 2 970s still have no ETA, I learned that the 980 is in stock, now i dont know what to do, wait it out or just get 1 980 instead so I can get my rig :/

If I want to get a replacement for my EVGA 970 that has some coil whine, should I replace it through Newegg or RMA it through EVGA?

burgerdog

The 970 should arrive today, it's out for delivery. My 6870 has served me well. It's time to try team green and get a huge jump in performance.

Zeth

My MSI 970 goes to 70c under load with a 100mhz core oc. Is that a bit hot? Going to stock OC brings it down a bit but still hits high 60s fairly regularly. I can't remember what my 680 temps were, just wanted to make sure it's ok.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
d3I7CGI.png

Had to do a little overclocking to get into the 1%. cpu clock at 4.5 ghz, and a +175 mhz offset to the two reference gpus. A real easy and fairly significant overclock on these cards, using the EVGA Precision tool.

My last 3 GPUs have been AMD. I haven't been with team green since my GeForce 7800GS (AGP, lol). I've installed my ASUS Strix 970. Launched Borderlands 2 with High Physx to test it out. Using the same monitor as I was using with my previous GPU. I noticed something I previously thought was a trick of the mind, but seems to be real.

I'll probably explain this badly... but do Nvidia cards display... smoother than an equivalent AMD? I first noticed this when my friend brought over his PC and we'd play games together (a year or two ago). We both had 60Hz monitors and both our rigs ran whatever we played maxed out at 60. But the image on his screen always looked smoother (had higher temporal resolution?) even when I started up FRAPS to check I was at 60.

Then it happened with my 970. As soon as I started playing, I noticed something was different. Borderlands 2 looked smoother than before (and I just finished beating the game a week ago on my AMD card). My AMD 7950 never dipped from 60 while playing BL2, but my 970 still looks noticeably smoother. Does Nvidia deliver the frames more... precisely, is their V-Sync... better? I can't explain it but my Nvidia card (and my friend's Nvidia card) render the same games more smoothly than my AMD even if they both are locked at 60 FPS.

What black magic is this? I wouldn't blame you if you have no idea what I'm talking about. I didn't think it was a real thing until I got my 970--I just thought my friend had a nicer monitor or something. But my Nvidia looks better at the same FPS, on the same monitor than my AMD did, in the temporal resolution sense (if that makes sense? haha).

My last 3 GPUs have been AMD. I haven't been with team green since my GeForce 7800GS (AGP, lol). I've installed my ASUS Strix 970. Launched Borderlands 2 with High Physx to test it out. Using the same monitor as I was using with my previous GPU. I noticed something I previously thought was a trick of the mind, but seems to be real.

I'll probably explain this badly... but do Nvidia cards display... smoother than an equivalent AMD? I first noticed this when my friend brought over his PC and we'd play games together (a year or two ago). We both had 60Hz monitors and both our rigs ran whatever we played maxed out at 60. But the image on his screen always looked smoother (had higher temporal resolution?) even when I started up FRAPS to check I was at 60.

Then it happened with my 970. As soon as I started playing, I noticed something was different. Borderlands 2 looked smoother than before (and I just finished beating the game a week ago on my AMD card). My AMD 7950 never dipped from 60 while playing BL2, but my 970 still looks noticeably smoother. Does Nvidia deliver the frames more... precisely, is their V-Sync... better? I can't explain it but my Nvidia card (and my friend's Nvidia card) render the same games more smoothly than my AMD even if they both are locked at 60 FPS.

What black magic is this? I wouldn't blame you if you have no idea what I'm talking about. I didn't think it was a real thing until I got my 970--I just thought my friend had a nicer monitor or something. But my Nvidia looks better at the same FPS, on the same monitor than my AMD did, in the temporal resolution sense (if that makes sense? haha).

Could still be different frame times. 60fps isn't always the same thing as 60fps. FPS isn't very precise as a measurement, as it is only an average, and won't show the small (but noticeable) framedrops.

If you count frame times, you count how long time there is between two frames.

Read more here.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not sure if already posted in another thread, but the laptop variants:

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-announces-970m-and-980m-maxwell-mobile-gpus/

The GTX 980M and 970M are being pressed into gaming laptops at this very moment, and Nvidia claims that the mobile chips will be able to run games at ultra settings, even beyond 1080p resolution. More dramatically, Nvidia claims the GTX 980M will be 75% as powerful as the desktop GTX 980 (though you'll also see slides showing that number at 80%, which comes from "a composite of AAA game scores").

Those are kinda low for 970 SLI.

My score on Fire Strike:

SLI: 17313
Single: 10525

I am sure you are using a higher OC and your CPU is better. So no, the numbers are not "kinda low". This is a really annoying meme in this thread.

... and Fire Strike is kinda broken anyway, it heavily favors W8 (DX11.1) , not sure why people are still using it so much.

b0bbyJ03

Just picked up a 970 last week and I've been playing with the settings to see what kind of performance i can get. From what i've read adaptive V-sync is the way to go for better performance but I noticed that when I turned on in game v-sync in shadow of mordor it got rid of like 90% of the screen tearing and hiccups. Anyone know what the advantages/disadvantages of using adaptive v-sync over in game v-sync are? thanks

zXe

Just picked up a 970 last week and I've been playing with the settings to see what kind of performance i can get. From what i've read adaptive V-sync is the way to go for better performance but I noticed that when I turned on in game v-sync in shadow of mordor it got rid of like 90% of the screen tearing and hiccups. Anyone know what the advantages/disadvantages of using adaptive v-sync over in game v-sync are? thanks

I would also like to know this. I play with in game v-sync too and I've not noticed any problems.

Mohasus

Adaptive v-sync disables v-sync when there are drops.

Top Bottom