• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Pritchardo

Neo Member
just got my 980 and was messing around in some games and in the settings of two of them it showed i only had about 3gb of vram , is there something wrong?

Finally got my water blocks in.
cine152akim.png

Could still push further, but im good for now, time to actullay play some games!

What overclock do you have on your CPU?

NJDEN

This waiting game sucks... I'll be at the two week mark in a couple days with no news from Amazon on shipping details.

What kind of wait times have other people been experiencing with Amazon? I ordered a Gigabyte 970 G1 on the 25th.

I'm not upset with Amazon and I get its a hot commodity item, I'm just excited.

hoserx

Pretty close to just pulling the trigger on a pair of the Zotac Omega Amp 970s.......they look great. Anyone get a set? Thoughts? It looks like a pretty solid card all around and worth the premium price.

Thrakier

My last 3 GPUs have been AMD. I haven't been with team green since my GeForce 7800GS (AGP, lol). I've installed my ASUS Strix 970. Launched Borderlands 2 with High Physx to test it out. Using the same monitor as I was using with my previous GPU. I noticed something I previously thought was a trick of the mind, but seems to be real.

I'll probably explain this badly... but do Nvidia cards display... smoother than an equivalent AMD? I first noticed this when my friend brought over his PC and we'd play games together (a year or two ago). We both had 60Hz monitors and both our rigs ran whatever we played maxed out at 60. But the image on his screen always looked smoother (had higher temporal resolution?) even when I started up FRAPS to check I was at 60.

Then it happened with my 970. As soon as I started playing, I noticed something was different. Borderlands 2 looked smoother than before (and I just finished beating the game a week ago on my AMD card). My AMD 7950 never dipped from 60 while playing BL2, but my 970 still looks noticeably smoother. Does Nvidia deliver the frames more... precisely, is their V-Sync... better? I can't explain it but my Nvidia card (and my friend's Nvidia card) render the same games more smoothly than my AMD even if they both are locked at 60 FPS.

What black magic is this? I wouldn't blame you if you have no idea what I'm talking about. I didn't think it was a real thing until I got my 970--I just thought my friend had a nicer monitor or something. But my Nvidia looks better at the same FPS, on the same monitor than my AMD did, in the temporal resolution sense (if that makes sense? haha).

This is why I changed from amd to nvidia.

pestul

My last 3 GPUs have been AMD. I haven't been with team green since my GeForce 7800GS (AGP, lol). I've installed my ASUS Strix 970. Launched Borderlands 2 with High Physx to test it out. Using the same monitor as I was using with my previous GPU. I noticed something I previously thought was a trick of the mind, but seems to be real.

I'll probably explain this badly... but do Nvidia cards display... smoother than an equivalent AMD? I first noticed this when my friend brought over his PC and we'd play games together (a year or two ago). We both had 60Hz monitors and both our rigs ran whatever we played maxed out at 60. But the image on his screen always looked smoother (had higher temporal resolution?) even when I started up FRAPS to check I was at 60.

Then it happened with my 970. As soon as I started playing, I noticed something was different. Borderlands 2 looked smoother than before (and I just finished beating the game a week ago on my AMD card). My AMD 7950 never dipped from 60 while playing BL2, but my 970 still looks noticeably smoother. Does Nvidia deliver the frames more... precisely, is their V-Sync... better? I can't explain it but my Nvidia card (and my friend's Nvidia card) render the same games more smoothly than my AMD even if they both are locked at 60 FPS.

What black magic is this? I wouldn't blame you if you have no idea what I'm talking about. I didn't think it was a real thing until I got my 970--I just thought my friend had a nicer monitor or something. But my Nvidia looks better at the same FPS, on the same monitor than my AMD did, in the temporal resolution sense (if that makes sense? haha).
I guess I'm about to find out for myself too.. I've been using AMD/ATI since the R8500. I've held a grudge against Nvidia since the FX5900 debacle and terrible business practices. The GTX 970 was just too good and I had to let bygones...

Evo X

Just ordered an MSI Gaming GTX 980 TwinFrozer V while it was shortly available on Newegg. Should be here in 2 days. Gonna SLI it with an EVGA reference until Amazon ships my Gigabyte G1.

I hope that DSR SLI fix comes in soon so I can do some crazy 4-5K downsampling because this setup is gonna rock the shit out games at my native 2560x1440!

Evo X

ibv99QPJ6kZvAa.png

Sure. Should have posted this in the first place but I didn't notice the details button before.

Nice scores. I have the same CPU, so this is really gonna come in handy when I compare to my 980 SLI setup.

For reference, here's what my single 980 pulled.

CUMyOaZ.png

What are you fellow asus strix 970 owners getting for OC

And does anyone know where I can change the fan settings? I want the fans to start at a lower temp, say around 45c

riotous

Banned
What black magic is this?

My mobile AMD GPU had awful micro-stuttering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

My understanding is that various models across both nVidia and AMD experience this sometimes; and it sounds like what you are describing.

FRAPS, etc. report 60FPS but it just doesn't look nearly as smooth as other 60FPS experiences I'd had.. then I googled my laptop model and found many with the same issue.

garath

And does anyone know where I can change the fan settings? I want the fans to start at a lower temp, say around 45c

I'll find out Thursday when mine gets here. I do know another strix guy changed the fan profiles to do exactly that. Might be some Asus software?

Varna

Pretty good Evo X. Basically getting the same graphic score. How does the combined score work? Yours it a bit higher then mine for some reason even though my physic score is 1200

Evo X

Pretty good Evo X. Basically getting the same graphic score. How does the combined score work? Yours it a bit higher then mine for some reason even though my physic score is 1200

Turns out that wasn't even my best score. Just updated that post above with another pic.

Can you post your score? Combined is being bottleneck by my CPU I'd imagine, which is only going to get worse when I add another card. Oh well, I should be able to move these GPUs over to my Skylake build next year.

ss_lemonade

I think people should use something else for benching like Heaven. Might be more accurate when it comes to gpu performance. It also seems to be more sensitive to overclocks

Evo X

I think people should use something else for benching like Heaven. Might be more accurate when it comes to gpu performance. It also seems to be more sensitive to overclocks

I'll try Heaven, but I'm sure my 2500k is bottlenecking my Valley score. My crazy overclocked 980 isn't posting better scores in Valley than my old 780Ti even though it is much faster in most other applications and games.

Mupod

both of the ones in my system are sitting at 1400/1475 boost. All I did was increase power to 120, no voltage increase. I haven't put the second card in alone to see if it could get a higher OC though.

And yes you can set the fans to do whatever. It's easy.

b0bbyJ03

both of the ones in my system are sitting at 1400/1475 boost. All I did was increase power to 120, no voltage increase. I haven't put the second card in alone to see if it could get a higher OC though.

what kind of performance boosts are you seeing with that. thinking about doing it myself.

Varna

Turns out that wasn't even my best score. Just updated that post above with another pic.

Can you post your score? Combined is being bottleneck by my CPU I'd imagine, which is only going to get worse when I add another card. Oh well, I should be able to move these GPUs over to my Skylake build next year.

No idea how you guys get those fancy header shots.

Graphics 15148
Physic 12051
Combined 5630

Total: 12543

I don't like messing with the voltage so I have only done +150/+140 on my GPU.

Evo X

No idea how you guys get those fancy header shots.

Graphics 15148
Physic 12051
Combined 5630

Total: 12543

I don't like messing with the voltage so I have only done +150/+140 on my GPU.

After the benchmark, 3DMark opens up a browser window with the score. I just printscreen, then paste into MS Paint. Then I crop the score header and upload to Imgur. Takes 30 seconds.

I haven't messed with voltages either. I'm getting that OC on stock. Your combined score seems wrong though. It should be higher as your CPU performance is 1.5X better than mine.

Gojeran

Got the MSI 970 installed. It overclocks very well so far. Still stress and temperature testing it but it's hitting 1511Mhz boost while gaming and 7800Mhz on the memory. Running custom fan profile hitting about 72c but it's currently hot as shit in my room. Very pleased so far. Hopefully not coil whine rears it's ugly head. On a side note running identical settings as before my GTX 970 uses 200mb less VRAM when running the benchmark for Shadows of Mordor compared to my GTX 780.

So. I finally said 'fuck it' and ordered the Acer G-Sync monitor. QA on the swift sounds like a nightmare (I've seen multiple people who have returned 3 monitors and aren't happy) and pixel inversion seems to be a major issue, espescially on 3D, which is a huge thing for me.

And it may sound weird, but 1080p works better for DSR letting me do a straight scale down from 4K with 0% smoothing (which looks beautiful on a native 1080p panel). So yes, bigger pixels.

But these 3 980s have been bottle necked for FAR too long, and I'm not wading through crap to get myself a Swift only to find 3D looks terrible on it. I'm getting the slightly cheaper monitor that everyone seems happy with. And I know I'll be happy with it too.

I recently grabbed a Shield Tablet, and I'm so impressed with it. Gamestream works fabulously over Wifi and I was amazed at how well it worked over the internet from work too... Alien Isolation is probably a best case scenario in many ways, but I played an entire DLC mission on it. You really need to fork over the extra monies for the cover and the controller, and I'd recommend grabbing an mini hdmi to full size hdmi adaptor too, but it's a great companion to this PC that's helping me squeeze extra value out of it.

And I swear to god, Bioshock Infinite was more playable over the internet than Killzone Shadowfall is using remote play in the same house as my PS4.

If you're interested in pairing up your 970 or 980 with one... I say go for it.

I'll post impressions of G-Sync with my 3 SLI 980s come Thursday. I'm feeling better for having ordered the Acer already.

firestrike31dn2.png

-ASUS Strix 970
-3770k @ 4.2GHz
-970 @ Core: 1500MHz, Memory: 3900 somethings (+400MHz on Afterburner) (I don't even know what the memory clock is... Nvidia spec page says 7 Gbps.. which is bandwidth, not a clock speed... Umm, Afterburner says 3900; 3900 what? I don't know)
-Max temperature was 70C

I'm happy with my card.

Heaven Benchmark 4.0 score: 1045 (41 FPS average) (Max temp: 73C)

Salty Hippo

firestrike31dn2.png

-ASUS Strix 970
-3770k @ 4.2GHz
-970 @ Core: 1500MHz, Memory: 3900 somethings (+400MHz on Afterburner) (I don't even know what the memory clock is... Nvidia spec page says 7 Gbps.. which is bandwidth, not a clock speed... Umm, Afterburner says 3900; 3900 what? I don't know)
-Max temperature was 70C

I'm happy with my card.

Heaven Benchmark 4.0 score: 1045 (41 FPS average) (Max temp: 73C)

That Heaven Benchmark doesn't seem right. Are you testing with a resolution above 1080p?

So. I finally said 'fuck it' and ordered the Acer G-Sync monitor. QA on the swift sounds like a nightmare (I've seen multiple people who have returned 3 monitors and aren't happy) and pixel inversion seems to be a major issue, espescially on 3D, which is a huge thing for me.

And it may sound weird, but 1080p works better for DSR letting me do a straight scale down from 4K with 0% smoothing (which looks beautiful on a native 1080p panel). So yes, bigger pixels.

But these 3 980s have been bottle necked for FAR too long, and I'm not wading through crap to get myself a Swift only to find 3D looks terrible on it. I'm getting the slightly cheaper monitor that everyone seems happy with. And I know I'll be happy with it too.

I recently grabbed a Shield Tablet, and I'm so impressed with it. Gamestream works fabulously over Wifi and I was amazed at how well it worked over the internet from work too... Alien Isolation is probably a best case scenario in many ways, but I played an entire DLC mission on it. You really need to fork over the extra monies for the cover and the controller, and I'd recommend grabbing an mini hdmi to full size hdmi adaptor too, but it's a great companion to this PC that's helping me squeeze extra value out of it.

And I swear to god, Bioshock Infinite was more playable over the internet than Killzone Shadowfall is using remote play in the same house as my PS4.

I'll post impressions of G-Sync with my 3 SLI 980s come Thursday. I'm feeling better for having ordered the Acer already.

hi 5 dude, I ordered one this morning. only using a single 970 though.

I've read other people only oc'ing the core and mem speeds, what does only increasing the power do?

From what I understanding you could increase every value, just a little at a time until you get no complications. So are the 4 variables the core speed, the mem speed, the power, and the voltage?

Evo X

So. I finally said 'fuck it' and ordered the Acer G-Sync monitor.

Man, I get that you're frustrated with waiting, but the ROG Swift really is a thing of beauty playing PC games at max. Then again, I don't have any of the QA issues you mentioned.

IMO, Tri-SLI 980s powering a single 1080p monitor doesn't seem right. Hell, I feel like my dual 980s are gonna be overkill for a single 1440p panel. 4K downsampling to 1080 will be nice, but with three 980s, I'm sure you could have gotten away with 5K downsampling to 1440 in a lot of games.

Best of luck to you though. I hope the Acer treats you well. If you're not satisfied, hope you ordered from Amazon in case you change your mind and want to return/exchange it.

Addnan

Amazon UK taking orders for gigabyte, MSI, Asus and EVGA. A bit more expensive than other places but I needed to go through Amazon for reasons. Ordered 2 970s yay. 2-3 weeks shipping though. I can wait...

Man, so happy with the results of the 970 so far. Tested a couple of games last night.
Metro 2033 Redux was about 30fps, max settings at 4k. It was actually perfectly playable at 4k, but i bumped it down to either 2.5K or 3K and got almost solid 60fps.

Alan Wake, everything maxed, 3k res, 60fps solid. 4k was about 30-40fps.

Warhammer 40k Space Marine was 60fps solid at 4k.

God damn Nvidia this is some good shit. The image quality at 4k is just....beautiful. Metro Redux blew me away

Which acer have you ordered ?

4k g-sync ?
1080p 144 Hz g-sync ?

Only first one is semi-available and second one is still preorder but date on that was pushed back to 16.10 (and no warranty it won't be pushed again )

Which should I get of these two:
-EVGA Superclocked 980
-EVGA Superclocked 980 with ACX cooler
?

Does anyone else have a EVGA card with the ACX cooler? How is it?

One issue i noticed tho is a louder kind of buzzing noise in my headphones since i put in the new card. Its not coil whine, as theres no noise coming from the card, its just a sort of background high pitched noise when playing games. Ive had it with most computers ive owned, but it seems worse than usual now. I dont know if its just cheap earphones im using or what tho. But its definitely louder and more annoying with the 970

Mupod

I've read other people only oc'ing the core and mem speeds, what does only increasing the power do?

From what I understanding you could increase every value, just a little at a time until you get no complications. So are the 4 variables the core speed, the mem speed, the power, and the voltage?

the voltage on the Asus card only goes up to like +37 or so. I couldn't push it significantly past 1400 with that. The second card I have might, but I won't be testing that until next week.

From my understanding increasing the power limit just makes the card able to draw more power. I don't see why I wouldn't turn it up since my PSU can easily handle it.

Nvidia 960 rumoured to be delayed to 1st Quarter of 2015 as manufacturing is diverted to 970 production....

Stop buying them!

Might have to get a 970 now !

Man, I get that you're frustrated with waiting, but the ROG Swift really is a thing of beauty playing PC games at max. Then again, I don't have any of the QA issues you mentioned.

IMO, Tri-SLI 980s powering a single 1080p monitor doesn't seem right. Hell, I feel like my dual 980s are gonna be overkill for a single 1440p panel. 4K downsampling to 1080 will be nice, but with three 980s, I'm sure you could have gotten away with 5K downsampling to 1440 in a lot of games.

Best of luck to you though. I hope the Acer treats you well. If you're not satisfied, hope you ordered from Amazon in case you change your mind and want to return/exchange it.

Newegg, who have pretty good returns in my experience.

For those asking, yes, I went with the 1080p model.

The pixel inversion that a lot of people are seeing is apparently even more noticeable in 3D, and that's a big thing I want the monitor to be able to do.

Also, it kicks the can a bit further down the road on when I'm going to need to upgrade, so there's that. I'm feeling very good about my decision and we'll see how I feel when I have the thing on my desk. DPI is my only concern, so I've set my desktop resolution to 720p (on my 24" 1080p monitor) for the next few days until the Acer arrives. That should help me feel better about 1080p at 27".

Well, I bit the bullet and got a MSI 970. It's waiting for me at home. I still strongly suspect that this will become a mid tier card in no time, but what the hell. It's a good price and I really don't want to be left out in the cold for the next six months of big releases.

I'm selling my 2Gb 770 for pretty cheap, because I realise it's a card that will soon be outdated, but everyone's amazed at the price and I'm getting shit loads of people interested. Obviously, I could get a lot more for it, but whatever, I don't rip people off.

One issue i noticed tho is a louder kind of buzzing noise in my headphones since i put in the new card. Its not coil whine, as theres no noise coming from the card, its just a sort of background high pitched noise when playing games. Ive had it with most computers ive owned, but it seems worse than usual now. I dont know if its just cheap earphones im using or what tho. But its definitely louder and more annoying with the 970

Are you actually using a soundcard or just the freebie motherboard audio?

I've experienced the headphone buzzing you're referring to in the past when I had to use motherboard audio, and also if I plugged my headphones into the front jacks instead of directly into the soundcard in the back.

Are you actually using a soundcard or just the freebie motherboard audio?

I've experienced the headphone buzzing you're referring to in the past when I had to use motherboard audio, and also if I plugged my headphones into the front jacks instead of directly into the soundcard in the back.

Yeah using onboard sound, but its a good class Mobo, (MSI Gaming series) and the onboard is a soundblaster chip. I have an audio cable from the PC into my monitor, and then plug my headphones into the monitor. Like i said it was always there prevoously, but way, way less audible until i got the 970. I might just try putting the headphones directly into the mobo and see.

I had a similar problem with my speakers (nothing to do with a 970 or whatever)... Check that your Line In is muted/disabled, in my case I had nothing connected to it but it still gave loads of static & feedback on my speakers.

Faith

Is there a way to change the LED from the Gigabyte Windforce GTX970?

img_0179z4kdo.jpg

I would love to replace it with a green LED!

Man, so happy with the results of the 970 so far. Tested a couple of games last night.
Metro 2033 Redux was about 30fps, max settings at 4k. It was actually perfectly playable at 4k, but i bumped it down to either 2.5K or 3K and got almost solid 60fps.

God damn Nvidia this is some good shit. The image quality at 4k is just....beautiful. Metro Redux blew me away

Reading posts like this hurts. Downsampling even a little on my 780 drastically hurts performance but this was before I overclocked so maybe I should try again.

Ugh, you are not making it easy for me and others waiting on the 8GB version(or 6)..I was going to get one, until the reference card sold-out pretty fast. But Amazon has the PNY version up..I so want to pull the trigger and put it inside my X51.

hoserx

one of half of me says : No self control. Just bought two Zotac Omega Amp 970s...........

the other half of me says: FUCK YES I AM GOING TO SLAY GAMES COME FRIDAY

This waiting game sucks... I'll be at the two week mark in a couple days with no news from Amazon on shipping details.

What kind of wait times have other people been experiencing with Amazon? I ordered a Gigabyte 970 G1 on the 25th.

I'm not upset with Amazon and I get its a hot commodity item, I'm just excited.

I'm in the same position ordered a EVGA 980 SC on the 25th as well. Finally contacted them like 2 days ago asking for an estimate and they had none :(. Been constantly checking my local microcenter for one as well with no luck yet.

Ugh, you are not making it easy for me and others waiting on the 8GB version(or 6)..I was going to get one, until the reference card sold-out pretty fast. But Amazon has the PNY version up..I so want to pull the trigger and put it inside my X51.

I guess i shouldnt tell you that i got Wolfenstein TNO at 2.5K with 8x in game MSAA @ 60fps too, then.. :p

I had a similar problem with my speakers (nothing to do with a 970 or whatever)... Check that your Line In is muted/disabled, in my case I had nothing connected to it but it still gave loads of static & feedback on my speakers.

Thanks man, ill look into that

Top Bottom