• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Gold Member
are you not familiar with the $=€lol rule? :)

hell even here those 970s were going to be 370€ each. the 980 is 5...err...579€ or something im not sure. PC components are ridiculous in europe
Haha yes I'm very familiar with it I live in the UK. I paid £450 for mine which is about 570€ or $720, crazy really but it is what it is.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
but it is what it is.

hug it out bro :(

the upside is, A) hopefully ill have my stuff by friday for the weekend when im off work and B) I was getting bummed out lately and now im psyched about the new rig again

Gold Member
hug it out bro :(

the upside is, A) hopefully ill have my stuff by friday for the weekend when im off and B) I was getting bummed out lately and now im psyched about the new rig again
*bro hug*

Awesome dude, I'm sure it will be great when it finally comes together :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the process of overclocking a GPU (or a CPU for that matter) a physical one or is it a software thing?

So I've got an HDMI cord running from my PC to my receiver. Video is coming through fine but I can't convince the audio to come through.

Sound settings and nvidia control panel both recognize the receiver and dont report any issues. Of course it's set as my default sound output. Little volume bar on the PC shows volume happening, but nothing is coming out of the speakers.

MSI GTX 970
Z97-A
i7 4790k

Receiver is Sony STR-KS360S

Any ideas?

is the process of overclocking a GPU (or a CPU for that matter) a physical one or is it a software thing?

Done with software. Gets into hardware territory if you want to get really intense and have to start installing new cooling solutions.

Gold Member
For the GPU you use software such as MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision. It's quite easy to do you just adjust some sliders.

For the CPU you will need to do it through you motherboards BIOS. How you do it varies depending upon your motherboard, some may have auto overclock options whereas others will require you to alter frequencies / multipliers / voltages manually.

Buburibon

So I've got an HDMI cord running from my PC to my receiver. Video is coming through fine but I can't convince the audio to come through.

Sound settings and nvidia control panel both recognize the receiver and dont report any issues. Of course it's set as my default sound output. Little volume bar on the PC shows volume happening, but nothing is coming out of the speakers.

MSI GTX 970
Z97-A
i7 4790k

Receiver is Sony STR-KS360S

Any ideas?

Do you get audio if you connect it directly to the TV? If you do, then it might be that your receiver is not recognizing the signal that your PC is outputting. Say, for example, your receiver is only capable of decoding Dolby Digital bitstream, and your computer is sending it a DTS signal. I've had something similar happen years ago when HDMI audio was still in its infancy.

I hope you'll find a solution. :)

Do you get audio if you connect it directly to the TV? If you do, then it might be that your receiver is not recognizing the signal that your PC is outputting. Say, for example, your receiver is only capable of decoding Dolby Digital bitstream, and your computer is sending it a DTS signal. I've had something similar happen years ago when HDMI audio was still in its infancy.

I hope you'll find a solution. :)

When I connect to the TV I get nothing whatsoever! The TV recognizes the input and sets itself to 1080p/60hz but the screen stays black.
Supposedly my receiver supports both DD and DTS. I believe my motherboard is only DTS.

Something wrong with my HDMI cord perhaps?

Buburibon

When I connect to the TV I get nothing whatsoever! The TV recognizes the input and sets itself to 1080p/60hz but the screen stays black.
Supposedly my receiver supports both DD and DTS. I believe my motherboard is only DTS.

Something wrong with my HDMI cord perhaps?

When plugged into the receiver it was indeed set as the default audio device. After plugging it straight into the TV i restarted and then selected SAMSUNG (my tv) as the default device.

I see, so you aren't getting any video either. I'm curious, prior to owning a 970, were you successfully running that exact same HDMI setup of PC --> receiver --> TV with another video card?

I see, so you aren't getting any video either. I'm curious, prior to owning a 970, were you successfully running that exact same HDMI setup of PC --> receiver --> TV with another video card?

I only lack video when connected straight to the TV. Video comes through fine when going to the receiver. Audio is gone on both.

My previous card didnt support more than two screens so i didnt have this set up. Current set up is two screens (1&2) plus receiver (3).

3 is set up to clone 1 which is primary. I also tried extending with identical results.

Buburibon

I only lack video when connected straight to the TV. Video comes through fine when going to the receiver. Audio is gone on both.

My previous card didnt support more than two screens so i didnt have this set up. Current set up is two screens (1&2) plus receiver (3).

3 is set up to clone 1 which is primary. I also tried extending with identical results.

Interesting! I can only get HDMI audio when my receiver is display #1. If you don't mind, you could try unplugging all the other displays for the sake of troubleshooting. You might also want to reboot your PC once the receiver is the only thing that is connected to the back of your 970.

We'll (hopefully) figure this one out. ;-)

bodine1231

My MSI 970 SLI temps fucking suck. Top card is idle at 42 and max is 92, bottom is 36/80. The cards are probably too close together using this mobo because single max temp is 80. Guess I'll have to stick another fan somewhere cause I'm not buying another mobo.

Xyber

My MSI 970 SLI temps fucking suck. Top card is idle at 42 and max is 92, bottom is 36/80. The cards are probably too close together using this mobo because single max temp is 80. Guess I'll have to stick another fan somewhere cause I'm not buying another mobo.

It's more likely that you have bad airflow in your case. The MSI card doesn't blow the hot air out of the case, so if you don't have a good airflow it will get hot in there.

For reference, I hit about 65-70C at most with fan speed around 45% with my MSI.

bodine1231

It's more likely that you have bad airflow in your case. The MSI card doesn't blow the hot air out of the case, so if you don't have a good airflow it will get hot in there.

For reference, I hit about 65-70C at most with fan speed around 45%.

I'm using the NZXT h440.

Pritchardo

Neo Member
Sorry to ask again but havnt had a reply yet. Does anyone know why games are showing i only have 3gb of vram on my new 980? Gpu-z shows 4gb but quite a few games shows 3gb and can you run it shows 3.1gb.

hoserx

Ordered two Zotac Amp Omega 970s yesterday at 11am, already out for delivery as of today at 4:54am. These giant cards are going to cause me to ditch my sound card, as I'll have one space in between the cards and I don't want to block one of the fans.... onboard sound it will be, I suppose.

Yeah, I'd try plugging into the rear headphone jack just to see if the noise lessened or went away. It would give you a starting point, at least.

Turns out theres a headphone jack on the front of my case i just never thought to use before, and its flawless! All the staticy buzzing is gone :D

I tested a couple more games last night, Alien Isolation runs fantastically. Maxed, at 4K, i got between 30-40 fps. I bumped it down to about 3k i tihnk, and it ran 60fps solid.

Unbelieveably i got almost the exact same results in AC4 Black Flag. I really expected that game to run awfully, as my 770 could barely manage 20fps at 2560x1600.
At 4K it was 30-40fps, soft shadows on low, physx off. Soft shadows really affected the framerate tho even on medium. Took about 10fps off.I could get a full 60fps solid (and this was running around in one of the cities) at 3K.

I do get a bit confused as to the actual resolutions tho, as im on a 16:10 display, so i get these really weird resolutions now like 3360x2400, or 2580xFlubber or something

Upgraded from a SAPHIRE HD 7970 to a MSI GTX 970, holy shit... even if perf wise the 7970 was quite good, sound wise I'm in another world, the damn ATI would be so loud on some games I had to use headphones with noise cancelling to enjoy them...

Perf wise if is also a nice improvement, I went from 40 fps avg to 57 fps avg on Mordor (1440p), even though the 7970 would rarely dip under 30 fps on High in most games.

The only thing that kinda suck with the MSI is that I have only 1 display port so I can't use my dual screen on windows, unless I manage to find some kind of displayport hub (my DVI-D are both taken by my work computer) but I'm not even sure if those work really well.

samar11

Can someone tell me how good of a set up this is with the gtx 970 g1 gaming,

CPU - intel 6 core i7-5930k
16gigs ddr4
ssd 120gig HDD
x99 motherboard

Yesterday I tried the FireStrike benchmark and scored around 9500 points with my GTX 970 and the score seems a bit low to me. I have an i7 2600k that runs at 4.5 GHz.

Is my CPU slowing things down or is the score perfectly normal for a near stock 970?

hoserx

Can't tell if serious or sarcasm:/

I think a lot of the sarcasm came from thinking that your post might have been a troll post because the hardware you mention is fantastic, with a top tier processor. It became clear that you really just didn't know if your hardware choice was good, which in fact it was.......

So basically, congratulations, you have selected great hardware and your machine will provide a perfect platform for a GTX 970 / 980 ( or any other card you want)

:)

Man, it's so hard not to give into temptation. I want to hold off until they get a TI version of these cards or until I see what ATI is offering with their upcoming line.

It's somewhat of a blessing for me that these cards are sold out everywhere in Canada.

samar11

I think a lot of the sarcasm came from thinking that your post might have been a troll post because the hardware you mention is fantastic, with a top tier processor. It became clear that you really just didn't know if your hardware choice was good, which in fact it was.......

So basically, congratulations, you have selected great hardware and your machine will provide a perfect platform for a GTX 970 / 980 ( or any other card you want)

:)

Your pc is fantastic. We're all jealous.

Can't tell if trolling :p

It's an awesome PC

I originally picked DD3 for memory and different motherboard, they came back saying the CPU and GPU, I think? couldn't support it so i went with the more expensive option, that's why I was getting worried with the comments lol

iceatcs

Man, it's so hard not to give into temptation. I want to hold off until they get a TI version of these cards or until I see what ATI is offering with their upcoming line.

It's somewhat of a blessing for me that these cards are sold out everywhere in Canada.
ATI? Lol no more, they're gone by AMD in 2006.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Yep, just make sure you get the newest versions. They're updating these all the time. When I switch from AMD to Nvidia, I'm going to uninstall the drivers normally and then run DDU in safe mode... power down and swap the cards. Then install the latest Nvidia has to offer.

Would you suggest doing this even when upgrading from another nVidia card?

IronRinn

Well one of my two Amazon MSI GTX 970 orders (this one from 9/22, the other is from 9/25 so probably have a while to go on that) was finally updated with a delivery date of 10/14. Yeesh.

pestul

Would you suggest doing this even when upgrading from another nVidia card?
Definitely not necessary. I hear Nvidia's driver structure is a little better at coping with upgrades.. but AMD has made great strides with the new WHQL 14.9 driver in that regard. The driver will detect the new hardware and adjust automatically at reboot. I'm pretty anal when it comes to changing drivers and usually always opt for the extra cleaning that DDU provides.

pestul

There are some editions available in Canada. Just not the most popular cards. Seems there is some annoying price swelling as well. I hope this doesn't become a trend for new buyers heading into the holidays. I'm surprised they didn't make more available more rapidly tbh. Maybe they're just selling 'that' fast.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Definitely not necessary. I hear Nvidia's driver structure is a little better at coping with upgrades.. but AMD has made great strides with the new WHQL 14.9 driver in that regard. The driver will detect the new hardware and adjust automatically at reboot. I'm pretty anal when it comes to changing drivers and usually always opt for the extra cleaning that DDU provides.

So you wouldn't even need to uninstall the driver before swapping cards?

So Frys just cancelled the back order I had with them on the ROG Swift (even though I'd already told them to cancel it, it whatever) 'due to overwhelming demand or insufficient availability'.

I'm feeling very good about the Acer G-Sync monitor that's out for delivery to my house right now.

It also doesn't have shitty 3D. So yeah, I'm happy to step away from the Swift, and I'm biting my nails to find out what 144 hz and Gsync / ULMB / 3DVision are going to look like with my 980s, because I've never seen any of those things before.

Thrakier

Damn I love this MSI card. I'm amazed of the performance/money/silence factor. And not to forget the OC. I didn't even try to max it, I think I'm almost on par with 980 at 1459mhz and 8000 on RAM, am I?

Dynamic3

This is probably a stupid question, but do the fans on these dual-fan cards (I have the ASUS en-route) exhaust air or draw it into the card? I ask as I have a fan on the side of my case just below the GPU, and I'm trying to discern if I should have it exhaust or draw air.

Top Bottom