• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

Hindl

Maybe this is too early but when does anyone think sales will happen for the 970? I'm starting to build a pc but trying to wait for parts if possible. So if there might be a deal on black Friday or something I'd be ok waiting for that

Hmm amazon sent me order update that they expect to have stock of 320 pounds GTX 980 with reference cooler in 2-3 weeks.

So I guess that means they accepted order...

Now do i keep it or should I cancel to get big maxwell.

garath

Hey guys, any 1080p gsync 144hz monitors to look out for? I don't think I'm ready to make the 1440 jump yet(only 2x 970s).

I've been looking. Unfortunately there really isn't anything readily available. There's a BENQ monitor in the pipeline and an AOC one that may fit the bill but no timeline.

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-of-gsync-monitors/

I've been keeping an eye on blurbusters as they seem to have pretty good info on it.

Maybe this is too early but when does anyone think sales will happen for the 970? I'm starting to build a pc but trying to wait for parts if possible. So if there might be a deal on black Friday or something I'd be ok waiting for that

You never know but based on the way they are selling, I think a retailer would be nuts to do any sort of sales for at least 6 months.

Xyber

But yeah, it's fantastic seeing Criterion's Hot Pursuit with good image quality and a locked 60 fps IQ finally.

One of the games I tried as well when I got my 970. Runs maxed out at 4K with a flawless 60FPS (which sucks since I have a 144Hz monitor, but can't unlock the FPS :/ )

Kezen

Banned
980 gtx i7 3770 16 gigs of ram and a ssd.

Assassins creed 4 still runs like shit.

Some games are just broken. :/

Disable in-game vsync and use D3DOverrider.
Disable Physx.

Enjoy.

AC4 runs really well on my system (56fps average) with everything maxed (+SMAA) except Physx.

Nitsuj23

Hey guys, any 1080p gsync 144hz monitors to look out for? I don't think I'm ready to make the 1440 jump yet(only 2x 970s).

Are you not ready to make the jump to 1440p for fear your rig is underpowered? I don't get it? The 970 seems to handle 1440p fine with a single card, surely with two of them you could even push 4k. Why the worry about 1440p?

leng jai

Disable in-game vsync and use D3DOverrider.
Disable Physx.

Enjoy.

AC4 runs really well on my system (56fps average) with everything maxed (+SMAA) except Physx.

Yep, AC4's in-game V-sync is screwed and it will cause your game to drop to 30fps half the time for no reason. Turning on Physx also does the same thing, horrendous.

GrazGamer

Yep, AC4's in-game V-sync is screwed and it will cause your game to drop to 30fps half the time for no reason. Turning on Physx also does the same thing, horrendous.

There is nothing wrong with the v-sync implementation, it behaves the way it should. It just isn't triple buffered in this game. D3DOverrider fixes that.

av2k

I've been looking. Unfortunately there really isn't anything readily available. There's a BENQ monitor in the pipeline and an AOC one that may fit the bill but no timeline.

http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/list-of-gsync-monitors/

I've been keeping an eye on blurbusters as they seem to have pretty good info on it.

You never know but based on the way they are selling, I think a retailer would be nuts to do any sort of sales for at least 6 months.

Ouch, I guess it's Gsync and 144hz is not popular enough yet to have multiple models out for choosing. It seems like I have to wait a little bit longer. The current models that are currently are pretty pricey.

There's an Acer XB270HA that has gsync. 27", 1080, 8-bit screen. I think newegg has them listed (no good for me in Europe).

Man.. that looks so sexy but quite pricey.. I'm afraid to pull the trigger at 600$ to be quite honest. At 400$, I would definitely do it.. maybe I should wait just a tad bit longer. Thanks for looking that up for me!

Are you not ready to make the jump to 1440p for fear your rig is underpowered? I don't get it? The 970 seems to handle 1440p fine with a single card, surely with two of them you could even push 4k. Why the worry about 1440p?

Well, my reasoning is I can either have a higher resolution with less bells and whistles at a 60 frames per second or I can have 1080p resolution but with everything maxed out at 144hz + 3d. I chose the latter. :)

Because he wants to game in 140fps.

Pretty much this!

Thanks everyone for helping me with my questions.

Kezen

Banned

In-game vsync is double-buffered, it's either 30 (in case your system can't sustain 60) or 60.
No triple-buffering is a terrible oversight on Ubisoft's part.

And if Unity does not ship with it then D3DOverrider will be of no use since it's not compatible with 64 bits games. I hope Ubisoft Kiev aren't screwing around.

leng jai

There is nothing wrong with the v-sync implementation, it behaves the way it should. It just isn't triple buffered in this game. D3DOverrider fixes that.

Good point, but I consider v-sync without triple buffering worthless so it's essentially a poor implementation anyway.

Fantasmo

That's a more premium model, in fact that might be the most expensive 970 that's out right now. Most are $329-350.

Nope, these have Gigabyte's Windforce Cooler on them.

Oh I see. That explains it.

Jesus these 970 cards are out of stock everywhere. Every brand and model.
Looks like waiting for consumer opinion backfired on me.

My 970 is up and running. No problems thus far. I'm not really into benching so I'm happy with just going with the flow. Got the Gigabyte G1 so its already a bit factory OC'd.

I still can't tell if my G-sync stuff is even working correctly lol. The settings seem to be enabled and stuff but I don't really have any good benches to test.

I don't get it. Aren't these reference cards?

Yup. I'm in the same position as you. I purchased the MSI 970 from Amazon earlier today, but they're out of stock. I'm gonna be continuously looking until I find one or they ship that.

Gonna hit up the local TigerDirect after work, but I'm not expecting much.

paskowitz

It was easier to get a PS4. Makes me wonder if they are having production issues or they really underestimated demand.

Fantasmo

My 970 is up and running. No problems thus far. I'm not really into benching so I'm happy with just going with the flow. Got the Gigabyte G1 so its already a bit factory OC'd.

I still can't tell if my G-sync stuff is even working correctly lol. The settings seem to be enabled and stuff but I don't really have any good benches to test.
I'm jealous.
Yup. I'm in the same position as you. I purchased the MSI 970 from Amazon earlier today, but they're out of stock. I'm gonna be continuously looking until I find one or they ship that.

Gonna hit up the local TigerDirect after work, but I'm not expecting much.

It was easier to get a PS4. Makes me wonder if they are having production issues or they really underestimated demand.

It sucks because I have the week off from work! Bah!
Hmm I wonder if the local Microcenter has one?

Kezen

Banned

On the contrary it is wise to wait before jumping in. Many are reporting issues with their GPU BIOS and fans (Gigabyte, MSI and Asus are affected).

Wait, manufacturers will release revised versions of their cards.

Find a game that runs around 50 to 70 fps and try it with Gsync on and then with Vsync set to 60. The difference should be obvious.

I just built a PC this year (in April) with a 760. But, now that I got an Oculus, I'm definitely picking up a 970 early next year. Right now, the 760 handles pretty much everything put right now at a decent clip, so there's no need. But, it's clear the Rift needs something stronger.

Skyzard

Banned
Hmm amazon sent me order update that they expect to have stock of 320 pounds GTX 980 with reference cooler in 2-3 weeks.

So I guess that means they accepted order...

Now do i keep it or should I cancel to get big maxwell.

Crazy good price, might jump on that, haven't seen a product page though.

Xyber

I only got $200 USD for mine. With all the price drops, don't expect too much.

200 is not that bad, it brings the price of the 970 down to ~$150 which is not bad for a 50% performance boost.

Sold my 2GB 680 to a friend for 100€ yesterday, probably could have sold it for 140€ if I looked for another buyer but not worth the hassle and my friend needed an upgrade since he is still on 560Ti.

On the contrary it is wise to wait before jumping in. Many are reporting issues with their GPU BIOS and fans (Gigabyte, MSI and Asus are affected).

Wait, manufacturers will release revised versions of their cards.

The asus 970 is affected? Where can I find more info? Google and linus forums have failed me already.

Kevyt

In hindsight I almost always wish I spent that little bit extra on GPU to lengthen its lifespan. Its hard to justify when you are ready to buy, you feel like saving that $50 or $100 is the right thing to do, but looking back I always end up regretting it.

Spend that little bit extra. Get that card with higher vram. Get it from the better manufacturer, even though its a little bit more expensive.

So yeah, I would just get the 980 if I were you.

Pay once, cry once! I think I'm going with the 980 then... Won't upgrade three years from now!

Now if Nvidia announces the 980 Ti a couple of months from now then I will regret it this once again.

cripterion

I'm curious about people's temps with their new SLI setups.

Mine idle around 50°C and 41°C. (funnily enough Nvidia inspector tells me the GPU at 40°C is at 0% fan lvl and the one at 50°C is at 7%. All controlled automatically through AI Suite 3 from my motherboard.)

During a session of Metro both ramp up to about 71-72°C. Never seen it go above 73°C for the top card.

Just slapped an 140mm quiet edition corsair fan on the side of my case and happy to report my idle temps for the cards are now 44° and 34° with even less fan noise all around :D

garath

Pay once, cry once! I think I'm going with the 980 then... Won't upgrade three years from now!

Now if Nvidia announces the 980 Ti a couple of months from now then I will regret it this once again.

Then again. The 980 is $220 more than the 970. That's almost another video card just in the price difference for only a 10% or so performance increase. I think you'd cry a lot less if you feel like you got a great performer that you want to replace in a couple years for $330 rather than a great performer that you want to replace in a couple years for $550.

I genuinely don't believe that extra performance out of the 980 is going to buy you any additional time over the 970 - especially for that price. Just set that $220 aside toward your next card and call it a win.

Addnan

Amazon UK are allowing order for the Zotac. It has a really good warranty here but it's ugly and doesn't look like I just spend £500 on a pair of cards. Is that stupid haha. Need the overpriced Gigabyte to continue my blue/black theme even though I have no window.

Now you're making me want to do an ITX build.

DAMN.

I can only see me getting £50-60 for my 7850.
G3258, the cheaper boards can overclock that right? 400w anything, you know the rest. £200 at most I think it will cost to get it up an running. Probably less, I was checking with a Z97.

pestul

Wow, save all the ugly cards for me. My tower is in a place where I don't even see inside the window unless I'm changing parts or cleaning it.. As long as it performs well, I really don't care.

kharma45

Amazon UK are allowing order for the Zotac. It has a really good warranty here but it's ugly and doesn't look like I just spend £500 on a pair of cards. Is that stupid haha. Need the overpriced Gigabyte to continue my blue/black theme even though I have no window.

G3258, the cheaper boards can overclock that right? 400w anything, you know the rest. £200 at most I think it will cost to get it up an running. Probably less, I was checking with a Z97.

Yep they can, and OCing on the stock cooler is possible too.

I'm gonna mock myself up something now just in case...

CentroXer

Banned
I am going to hold out for a 20-nm card though. My 280x will carry me for another year.

my next card is probably going to have 6GB VRAM though. I'll settle for no less than 4GB VRAM.

Top Bottom