• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia Launches GTX 980 And GTX 970 "Maxwell" Graphics Cards ($549 & $329)

leng jai

Finally got Farcry 3 working. Only problem is the game runs extremely hot on my card, even worse than Crysis 3 (which is hot but never goes over 80 degrees). FC3 at 1080p with 4xAA goes all the way up to 87 degrees which is way too high. If I turn off AA it hovers around the 80 mark, which is acceptable but still high.

Evo X

Finally got Farcry 3 working. Only problem is the game runs extremely hot on my card, even worse than Crysis 3 (which is hot but never goes over 80 degrees). FC3 at 1080p with 4xAA goes all the way up to 87 degrees which is way too high. If I turn off AA it hovers around the 80 mark, which is acceptable but still high.

Which card are you running? Tried adjusting your fan profile?

That's stretching it a bit though, on average the difference seems to be more around 15% when comparing stock clocks, in some games even less, in some more.

I was just basing it around the fact that the 980 has 23% more CUDA cores and Texture Units than the 970, so in an ideal situation with identical clocks, the 980 should theoretically be about that much faster.

I think that the 970 is an insanely good buy at it's price, which is what's causing so many people to support it. But that doesn't make the 980 as terrible a decision as some are making it out to be. Bet everyone would have lost their shit if it launched at an aggressive price point like $449.

Gold Member
Whoa that is toasty! I was playing both those games earlier and my 980 never went over 65c with the core clocked at 1300Mhz. FC3 was fully maxed apart from AA on 4x. Crysis was mostly very high with shadows on high and medium TXAA. Both were locked to 60fps at 1200p

Have you setup the fan manually? If your card is running hot I would definitely look at doing that. Mine was heading north of 70c until I created a manual fan curve.

leng jai

What sort of fan profile is optimal? The fan is already running at 75-80% so I'm beginning to think I just got a hot card (MSI Frozr).

Jin

Whoa that is toasty! I was playing both those games earlier and my 980 never went over 65c with the core clocked at 1300Mhz. FC3 was fully maxed apart from AA on 4x. Crysis was mostly very high with shadows on high and medium TXAA. Both were locked to 60fps at 1200p

Have you setup the fan manually? If your card is running hot I would definitely look at doing that. Mine was heading north of 70c until I created a manual fan curve.

I have a 980 and I'm curious what your fan % is under load at 65C?

Evo X

What sort of fan profile is optimal? The fan is already running at 75-80% so I'm beginning to think I just got a hot card (MSI Frozr).

That's pretty high already. Turning the GPU fan up even more probably isn't going to do much. Try looking into improving air flow in your case or remove the side panel.

My reference 980 doesn't really go higher than 72C and that's with a 1500+Mhz overclock and ~65% fan speed.

Gold Member
I have a 980 and I'm curious what your fan % is under load at 65C?
Just had a quick look, it's set to 80% for 65c. It idles at 26% which is the lowest I can set it (temp is about 32c on idle). I have to say though the blower fan is quite good, it doesn't make a massive amount of noise even at 80% (mind you I do mostly play with headphones on lol).

Krakn3Dfx

Benchmarked GTA4 on the 970 tonight, everything maxed, downsampled at 3840x2160.

C67FA48EC1FD3EF58F35EE4A76D4AE2C8085D6D5

44472D16E5968F45A6FBE1D4CFA320D022C38D88

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
^ man GTA V will be so glorious on PC. Like seriously, I CAN NOT WAIT to see gameplay videos of those.

GTX970 SLI will be enough to max? Just curious. Because I am planning to build a PC from scratch. I am using amd phenom ii x6 1065t and GTA 465 with 8GB RAM. Yeah I know its not upto the standard as of today. But I built this 5 years ago, I don't play many PC games. But by next year, really want to build a nice intel PC

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
From that Tom Petersen video.

aNzFTrs.png

Woo, I don't know why but I'm pumped for the comeback of the voxel. It's the cool way to do mathematical 3d calculations.

solarus

Lord I wish I sold my GTX 670 right before these cards came out. My MSI GTX 670 power edition OC is in perfect condition and I'm having no success on Gumtree at £90. These cards were still able to go for like £130 even just after the Maxwell launch sigh. I'd like to avoid eBay because of the killer fees.

Korezo

I tried 2 widforce 970s seperatly and both made the same volume of buzz so I think its probably something else buzzing, maybe my psu or mb. Though with 2 970s in sli it doesnt buzz anymore or I cant hear it. idk.. shit is weird, I was gonna exchange my 1st mone but it doesn't buzz in sli and if it does its so low i cant hear it.

Zafir

Which MSI do you have, 970 or 980?

My MSI 970 barely goes over 70 under heavy load from a game. That's with the fan set to its default settings and that's with a fairly significant overclock. Hell, when I was messing with overclocking earlier I ran the furmark test which pushes a card well beyond any game would ever do, and even that only pushed it to 76C.

Samus4145

UPS Tracker said:
A late UPS trailer arrival has caused a delay. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

Okay, do I complain to Newegg or UPS?

Dave_6

Well my Gigabyte G1 970 finally arrived today. Got it installed (love the backplate; no more saggy GPU!), did a clean driver install and got all the old AMD stuff removed. Everything seems to work great so far and I haven't messed with overclocking yet. I have a simple issue though; I downloaded the latest version of Afterburner and I cannot get the OSD to work with any game. Any idea what I may be missing?

Zafir

Well my Gigabyte G1 970 finally arrived today. Got it installed (love the backplate; no more saggy GPU!), did a clean driver install and got all the old AMD stuff removed. Everything seems to work great so far and I haven't messed with overclocking yet. I have a simple issue though; I downloaded the latest version of Afterburner and I cannot get the OSD to work with any game. Any idea what I may be missing?

Did you make sure to go to the monitoring tab in settings and tick "Show in On-Screen Display" for all of the settings you want to show?

Thorgi

Just put in my 970 GTX today. Probably should have downloaded a few more games beforehand to test it out (wasn't expecting campus Internet to be THIS overloaded today) but The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Splinter Cell Blacklist both look and run fantastically with this in. :)

JambiBum

I'm pretty close to buying a 970, but I just want to make sure that a 500w PSU won't cause me any issues. Can anyone let me know?

nkarafo

I'm pretty close to buying a 970, but I just want to make sure that a 500w PSU won't cause me any issues. Can anyone let me know?
Chances are that the card you are currently using requires more watts than the 970.

The card's main features are the performance/watt ratio, along with performance/price.

DocSeuss

Just put in my 970 GTX today. Probably should have downloaded a few more games beforehand to test it out (wasn't expecting campus Internet to be THIS overloaded today) but The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Splinter Cell Blacklist both look and run fantastically with this in. :)

Blacklist runs fantastically on a shoebox though.

As does Ethan Carter, actually. Neither really push graphics all that much, since, if I remember right, they're an extensively-modified Unreal 2 and Unreal 3, respectively.

The real test is Witcher 2 with that whatchamacallit feature.

the GTA4 benchmark always seems to die on me during the first segment, at the exact same moment. also, SLI seems to only hurt performance in the benchmark. I haven't checked things out in more detail, but it seems similar to other complaints I've seen online.

It might just be related to the benchmark though.

However, in good news, GFWL finally decided to let me download my live profile, so I can actually play Dirt 3 now (it won't let you save with an offline GFWL profile).

As does Ethan Carter, actually. Neither really push graphics all that much, since, if I remember right, they're an extensively-modified Unreal 2 and Unreal 3, respectively.

Ubersampling. Not as taxing as it used to be.

Thorgi

Ethan Carter was giving me problems on high settings with my 570 GTX, but the 970 GTX smoothed that right out. Blacklist also lagged a bit on medium/high settings.

But you're right, The Witcher 2 should probably be the first thing I throw in. Kind of scared about how demanding The Witcher 3 might be....

If you take price out of the equation, I think it's a little disingenuous to say that 970 is about the same as 980. Some people just want the fastest single GPU, and the 980 is a good 20-25% faster than the 970 in most games. That's definitely noticeable, especially in the most demanding situations.

I bought a 980 instead of waiting until Titan 2 because I wanted the best NOW, not later. If/when that card comes out, I'll see if it's worth upgrading.

Sure the 980 isn't as aggressively priced as the 970, but it's still not bad, especially compared to the launch prices of Titan and 780Ti.

Even if I was to do SLI, I much prefer 980s to 970s. That way, even in a worse case scenario where I can only utilize one card, I know it will provide the best possible performance that money can buy at this time.

It is about the same though, those few % of extra frames will hardly make a difference in games. My point stands that broken games are broken on either card, SLI or not. And well optimized games will also run like butter one either card. Single card 980 just doesn't make sense to me.

Im in Baltimore next week for a couple of Days and I am going to get me one of these beasts!
Amazon is out of stock, which would be the best Place to order from? and which model?

It is about the same though, those few % of extra frames will hardly make a difference in games. My point stands that broken games are broken on either card, SLI or not. And well optimized games will also run like butter one either card. Single card 980 just doesn't make sense to me.

more games are broken in SLI than not in SLI, though. It's not something that should necessarily steer someone away from SLI, but as an SLI owner it's something I would much rather know going in that not know. It's not a magic performance bullet.

There are valid reasons to pick the most powerful single GPU card. Even more so at $550 than $1000 or $750 or whatever Titans and the 780 GTX launched at.

case in point: GTA4. Same mission.

SLI off... Min 35, Max 80, Avg 59.809
SLI on... Min 24, Max 103, Avg 57.721

Few questions

I'm trying to "quiet" my pc

I have an old cooler master

Is there any cpu cooler upgrades that will be quieter? Does water cooling generally run quiet?

Are "towers" actually work the money? I'm thinking of a nzxt h440

How overkill is 970 sli for 1080p? Any games that do not run 60fps on a single card would have benefitted from sli right?

I have a mid tower and I know that the 2nd card will run hotter, but how much of a difference is too much between 2 sli'd cards?>10 degrees? I would be using asus stix gtx 970s

more games are broken in SLI than not in SLI, though. It's not something that should necessarily steer someone away from SLI, but as an SLI owner it's something I would much rather know going in that not know. It's not a magic performance bullet.

There are valid reasons to pick the most powerful single GPU card. Even more so at $550 than $1000 or $750 or whatever Titans and the 780 GTX launched at.

case in point: GTA4. Same mission.

SLI off... Min 35, Max 80, Avg 59.809
SLI on... Min 24, Max 103, Avg 57.721

SLI has much higher CPU overhead so with game so heavily CPU dependand as GTA 4 it's natural there are frame drops.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Flashing the BIOS with Skynet allows higher voltages along with the ability to lock the OC clock. Meaning, it's not randomly boosting to wherever it wants. The OC you set, is the OC that it will clock to in all games. Upside is greater stability, downside is higher power usage.

Additional voltage should not affect the life of the card too much. The way I see it, any degradation wouldn't be a problem because I would upgrade the card WAY before it starts to matter. For example, if at stock voltages, the card could last 10 years, but overclocked to the max, it only lasts 8 years. That's perfectly fine to me, because by that time, this card will be ancient history and probably equivalent to what's available in smart phones by then. lol.

Just be aware that higher voltages doesn't always allow higher clocks. You might have just gotten a bum chip that can't go much over stock. Just the way it works out sometimes. Only thing the manufacturer guarantees is that the card remains perfectly stable at default clocks. Anything extra is just a bonus.

Cool, thanks. So what's a safe voltage cap? I can add 75mV on the stock BIOS, how much higher can I go than that?

Evo X

Amazon just updated my delivery estimate on the Gigabyte G1 980. Says October 21st now.

Not too bad. I think Fry's has a 30 day return policy so I'll probably return it and get the G1. If they won't accept it back for some reason, guess I'm going SLI.

Cool, thanks. So what's a safe voltage cap? I can add 75mV on the stock BIOS, how much higher can I go than that?

If you're new to overclocking, don't go higher than that. Try and see how much it improves your clocks and raises your temps before you go any further.

How is the Zotac 970? I found one available although I was initially hoping to get the Asus Strix or The MSI Twinforzr model, can't find those anywhere though.

Dave_6

Well I love my 970 and haven't even touched the clocks yet. I'm pretty much amazed at how much it seemed to pick up over the 7970 I was using. Arkham City still stutters in places but isn't that an issue with that game that most people have?

Well I love my 970 and haven't even touched the clocks yet. I'm pretty much amazed at how much it seemed to pick up over the 7970 I was using. Arkham City still stutters in places but isn't that an issue with that game that most people have?

In DX11, yes. If you have Origins, it seems to run a lot nicer in DX11 than City did.

Dave_6

In DX11, yes. If you have Origins, it seems to run a lot nicer in DX11 than City did.

I noticed that. Origins runs flawlessly maxed out (Physx and all). I had DX11 features on with Physx on normal in City and it ran great except when gliding or grappling. It would stutter like hell then.

Top Bottom