• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA Next Generation GPUs With Up To 7552 Cores Benchmarked 40% Faster Than TITAN RTX

a major leak of NVIDIA's upcoming next-generation graphics cards (most probably called Ampere) has just sprung from Geekbench (via _RoGame@Twitter). Not one but two seperate GPUs have been benchmarked showcasing what are quite possibly two graphics cards in NVIDIA's upcoming lineup. Keep in mind however that these aren't necessarily Ampere (or Hopper), they could be called something else (it's really up to NVIDIA) and the company is known to change nomenclature at the last hour.

NVIDIA next-generation graphics cards benchmarked at Geekbench 5: most probably Ampere 7nm GPUs

The first GPU is one with 7552 CUDA cores and 118 SMs. Interestingly, the performance and the Geekbench read would mean that the rumored 128 cores per SM theory is wrong and the GPUs do have the standard 64 cores per SM. This particular GPU was clocked at 1.11 GHz which would make this a 16.7 TFLOPs part at current speeds. Of course, if these leaks are legit (and I have a feeling they are) then this isn't the top tier part - which would have 8192 CUDA cores. This GPU has 24GB of memory (although we aren't sure if Geekbench is detecting this properly).

NVIDIA-Ampere-GPU-Benchmark-Leak-1-1004x1480.jpg

NVIDIA-Ampere-GPU-Benchmark-Leak-2-1006x1480.jpg

This particular NVIDIA GPU scores an astounding 184096 points on Geekbench - almost 40% more than the TITAN RTX. Keep in mind these are almost certainly not the final clocks of the graphics card - which would mean overclocking potential is waiting just around the corner. It is also likely that what we are looking at is the data center parts (as NVIDIA almost always launches those first) and not the gaming variants.

The second GPU is one with 6912 CUDA cores and 108 SMs. This lower-powered variant is clocked at 1.01 GHz and clocks in at roughly 13.9 TFLOPs (about the same level as a RTX 2080 Ti). Interestingly this card is being shown as having 47GB of memory, which makes this likely that we are seeing a misread of some sort as far as the memory specifications go. The 6912 CUDA core variant scores 141654 points on Geekbench - slightly higher than an RTX TITAN.

The specifications shown in the Geekbench details do check out so the chances of this being spoofed are quite low. Considering NVIDIA has been planning to launch a new series of cards for quite some time now, this leak is going to be met with some serious excitement. The clocks almost certainly indicate that we are looking at the 7nm node - any older mature node would yield much higher clock speeds.

What we know so far

We have previously heard of NVIDIA's Ampere GPUs when they passed their EEC certification and it is highly likely that NVIDIA will continue with their RTX philosophy and take that to the next level with Ampere. Right now, the Turing GPU is capable of raytracing at 1080p 30 fps for light to moderate path ray tracing workloads. The Ampere GPU will be able to go further.
NVIDIA-Ampere-GA104.jpg

The fact that it is based on a 7nm process means we are looking at a performance advantage as well as a power efficiency advantage. At a bare minimum you are looking at a 50% increase all things considered and watt for watt.

The GPU industry has, as a result of NVIDIA's apathy, been fairly slow not only in terms of the usual perf per $ growth, but as a function of the absolute performance growth as well. With NVIDIA's competitive incentive broken (we have AMD to thank for that, unfortunately), the company also ran afoul in its usually stellar earnings records. In fact, while NVIDIA remains on the 16nm process, AMD became the process leader by moving on to TSMC's 7nm process. Here is what the analyst had to say:

On Tuesday, Susquehanna Financial Group analyst Christopher Rolland reiterated his Positive rating for Nvidia shares, citing the strong sales for the Nintendo videogame console. Nvidia makes chips for the gaming device.
“We think Nvidia faces the most reasonable Street expectations in quite some time, with potential tailwinds from improving DC [data center], Switch [Nintendo console], and high GPU [graphics processing unit] attach rates (laptops/desktops), all in front of a litany of upcoming 7nm [nanometer] launches over the next nine months,” he wrote. Source.
NVIDIA it seems has finally decided to play catch up and will be shifting to its own 7nm by 2020. According to what we have heard so far, this will be Samsung's 7nm EUV process and should offer a significant step up in performance from previous generations (even TSMC's non-EUV based 7nm process). 9 months amounts to roughly 3 quarters, and with a launch in 2020, you will first start to feel the impact in the third-quarter earnings (exactly a year from now). In other words, NVIDIA is slowly but surely working its way back up to getting Jensen his coveted record quarters.

sendit

Rumors aside. Let’s be realistic here. Does anyone actually think AMD with ‘Big Navi’ is going to dethrone whatever Nvidia is cooking up next. They’re (Nvidia) continuously pushing the standards with graphic tech regardless of how much they want to charge. This isn’t a Intel situation.

Rumors aside. Let’s be realistic here. Does anyone actually think AMD with ‘Big Navi’ is going to dethrone whatever Nvidia is cooking up next. They’re (Nvidia) continuously pushing the standards with graphic tech regardless of how much they want to charge. This isn’t a Intel situation.
I honestly believe Nvidia will continue to dominate in the GPU department, while AMD will dominate on the CPU side.

With AMD's dominance in the processor side of things, as well as landing the contract to make the APU's for consoles, I believe they will have more than enough money to put into R&D for their GPU's. And maybe then, they will dethrone Nvidia. But for now, Nvidia is in its prime.

You got me laughing at this is not Intel, Big Navi might not dethrone Nvidia but in the future anything can happen.

Does anyone know what the sizes of these are supposed to be? Are these GPUs going to be getting bigger and bigger as they grow more powerful? I have a 1080 in my case now, was wondering if I need to change the positioning of my radiator block from front to top when I upgrade. I'd like to keep it in the front for better thermals but the size of my case and the tubing from the block make it so that my 1080 fits as snug as it can get with some of the tubing actually touching the end of the gpu.

Does anyone know what the sizes of these are supposed to be? Are these GPUs going to be getting bigger and bigger as they grow more powerful? I have a 1080 in my case now, was wondering if I need to change the positioning of my radiator block from front to top when I upgrade. I'd like to keep it in the front for better thermals but the size of my case and the tubing from the block make it so that my 1080 fits as snug as it can get with some of the tubing actually touching the end of the gpu.
It should be the same size. A buddy of mine upgraded from a gtx 670, to an rtx 2060 ko ultra recently, and was amazed by how much smaller the 2060 was, and thought it would be a weaker card based on its smaller footprint... Till he fired it up.

No. It's always the same story.

Rumors of an upcoming new AMD GPU that's more powerful than the best Nvidia GPU. But then those rumors go on and on and oooooonnnnnnn. For YEARS. And by the time that rumored AMD GPU is finally released, it's both less powerful AND more expensive that the rumor suggested. It will also be approx 18 months behind Nvidia's Halo product.

Prove me wrong AMD. Prove me wrong.

I bought a 3900X because AMD was kiling it in the CPU space and it's the best CPU I've ever had. But I have no reason to believe they will be able to do the same to Nvidia that they did to Intel. Would LOVE for AMD to prove me wrong.

pawel86ck

Banned
Gaming variant will be probably clocked around 1.7GHz (25.6TF) and with 2GHz OC (30TF) this card should finally run every game at 4K 60fps 😅.

thelastword

Banned
No, it isn't. 12 AMD TF doesn't equal 12 NVIDIA TF.
AMD has higher IPC atm...….AMD TFLOPS do more now, will do even more after RDNA 2....

And besides guys, the issue was never TFLOPS, higher TFLOPS are always better, the problem was the architecture or rather the efficiency and how much devs got out of it...….Vega had more raw power than Nvidia, it's just that at most times 50% of Vega's power was not utilized......NV in the past squeezed more out of it's arch, its arch was more suited to gaming and they also lowered IQ as well to push frames vs AMD......AMD always had better picture quality...

I don't think you know what you're talking about, we talking 12TF RDNA2 vs 10,07TF RTX2080.
I don't quite think you know what you're talking about. TERRORFLOPS. DO. NOT. MATTER. It's only in the console world, that PR wants you to believe TF numbers matter. Just do a basic Google search at pc gpu's, and you won't see mentions of TF's cause, THEY DON'T MATTER. The 2080 (not even the super), will beat out the xbsx. This is very obvious at this point. The ps4 is like a gtx 750/750 ti. The xb1x is like a rx 480/580. Compare those gpu's to the consoles, and you'll see why even with the equivalent gpu's, pc will always win, hands down, every single time.

Last edited:
Much like the last motherboard i bought claiming to be locked behind windows 10 only, I wonder how long it will be before they start locking gpus behind windows 10?

Top Bottom