• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA or ATI videocard?

samusx

Banned
OK, so I am going shopping today and I want a videocard for my PC.

I have an ASUS motherboard model M2NPV-VM, it has an onboard NVIDIA graphics chip. Now can I use an ATI videocard on this board even if I wanted to?

So the question is, what card should I get. I am looking to spend ¥8000 ($80). So what is the best card I could get from either company?

OK my system looks like this.

CPU - AMD Athlon X2 4200+
RAM - 1GB (yes I will upgrade soon)
HDD - SATA 250GB
DVD burners - 4xLG, 16x BENQ
Motherboard - ASUS M2NPV-VM
sound - Creative Audigy2 ZS platinum

Help please, it is hard to have my question answered by searching google, I tried.

While I have owned motherboards that claimed to only work with nvidia video cards, I don't think it having a nvidia onbard video chip means that is the case (check the manual).

Anyway, for $80, you aren't going to get much of a card. I would recommend a 7600GS, which isn't a great card by any means, for is pretty good bang for the buck. (I have one myself)

Buggy Loop

I've been satisfied with both companies, i've owned the original radeon for years, recently switch to nvidia 7800 for my laptop.

I guess, since AMD bought ATI, both are bound to have driver optimization between them in the future, so if i were to own an AMD cpu, i think its a safe bet that ATI GPUs will sooner or later work faster with AMD setups than nvidia cards do.

For 80 bucks, nVidia 7300GT (make sure it's got DDR3 RAM). 7600s are over 100, and any one you can find under will be beaten by the 7300 I mentioned.

Pimpbaa

samusx said:
OK, so I am going shopping today and I want a videocard for my PC.

I have an ASUS motherboard model M2NPV-VM, it has an onboard NVIDIA graphics chip. Now can I use an ATI videocard on this board even if I wanted to?

So the question is, what card should I get. I am looking to spend ¥8000 ($80). So what is the best card I could get from either company?

OK my system looks like this.

CPU - AMD Athlon X2 4200+
RAM - 1GB (yes I will upgrade soon)
HDD - SATA 250GB
DVD burners - 4xLG, 16x BENQ
Motherboard - ASUS M2NPV-VM
sound - Creative Audigy2 ZS platinum

Help please, it is hard to have my question answered by searching google, I tried.

Yes you can use an ati card if you want to. As for what to get for only 80 bucks, that's a tough question. I personally would go with the geforce 7600GS (there are a few in newegg.com around that price, I dunno how much it will be for you where you live).

samusx

Banned
Thanks a lot for the help guys, really. I will check this out today. Thanks again. ^_^

P.S. - I am not a hardcore PC gamer, so it doesnt have to be the best. I just want it to play HalfLife 2 and maybe when Farcry 2 comes out I want it to play that. It doesn't have to play it on maxed out full detail, but just play it reasonably nice.

Top Bottom