• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA: PS4 GPU 3x less powerful than Titan, but more powerful than Xbox 720

Read my first post. It doesn't work that way. Take a look at MGS5. That is a current gen game on 7 year old hardware. Then take a look at NFS or Tomb raider for PC. Same game as the current old hardware console but pcs still barely push them at higher resolutions with cards that came out 2 years ago.

MGS5 isn't released yet, is it? I'm a bit weary of judging demos before the actual game is out in the wild. It could be subjective, but I always though games don't look as good on release as compared to when they're demoed months before release. The KZ series is a good example of that.

JJD

MGS5 isn't released yet, is it? I'm a bit weary of judging demos before the actual game is out in the wild. It could be subjective, but I always though games don't look as good on release as compared to when they're demoed months before release. The KZ series is a good example of that.

KZ2 final looked better or at least the same as their demos. I don't believe there is an argument there. Just look for old threads here and pics on gaming sites.

I'd say that the MP beta overall played better than the final MP, but it was definitely not prettier.

Now if you're talking about the infamous E3 CG video, then sure you could say it ended up looking worse. But that wasn't really a demo, it was a target render.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Depends on the game. Platformers? Sure but there is no way in hell that I will be buying next gen consoles if the majority of games are not 1080p. Luckily I won't have to worry about it.
I still don't know how people can play 30fps FPS or racing games, but to each his own.

coldfoot

Banned
To be fair, having to touch a mouse or keyboard for maybe 15 seconds isn't nearly the horrible inconvenience you've made it out to be.
Tell that to people playing Mass Effect on PC. There will be other ports without PC controller support. Also competitive MP without mouse on PC is impossible, so write off shooters too.

KZ2 final looked better or at least the same as their demos. I don't believe there is an argument there. Just look for old threads here and pics on gaming sites.

I'd say that the MP beta overall played better than the final MP, but it was definitely not prettier.

Now if you're talking about the infamous E3 CG video, then sure you could say it ended up looking worse. But that wasn't really a demo, it was a target render.

That's kind of a subjective thing. I was pretty hyped for KZ2, but after playing it with its tiny FOV and muddy-ass graphics, I thought it looked like shit. Then again, I'm primarily a PC gamer. In fact, I think KZ was the last game I played on the PS3 before I homebrewed it and turned it into a dedicated MAME box.

So you did not want to upgrade from a card that uses about 200Watts to a card that only uses 140Watts because you think the computer that ran the higher power could not run it?!!!!

A card that is also an inch shorter!

Unbelievable!

Is this true? Shit, maybe my computer can run a 660. If so, that would be fantastic. I could use my computer for another 3 years or so, and still afford a PS4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have to say...the graph doesn't have consistent units on the axis. Looks like a really weird graph.

Sorral

Right. Well here's the deal: the Titan is indeed a $1000 GPU. The Radeon 7970 is a $400 GPU, available today, and it's more than 2x better than the PS4's GPU in theoretical performance. By the time the PS4 launches, Nvidia and AMD will have new graphics cards out that will offer the same performance at a lower price tag. What this means in practical terms: If back in 2005 you needed a $1200 PC to match or exceed console performance, this time you may only need a $500-$600 PC.

I was going to make a lengthy reply but meh. A few pages late as it is.

That PC probably runs on some fairy dust to to be in that price point and keep up with a PS4 for all of next generation.

I say fairy dust because you probably are not accounting for an OS(at least a Win7), no kb/m(even if a cheap combo), no accessories whatsoever, a very cheap MB/PSU that will hinder upgrades later, and the fact that you have to relay on a 7970's price being cut in 50%(not happening, not in only 9 month. Even a 6950 is like $260 and above. Also, no monitor here, but I guess we don't account for HDTV's either.) Had you added like $200 to that figure, I may have agreed, but no. I am building a very tight budget PC right now around an i5/7870 and the prices aren't as amazing as people make them out to be.

The theoretical performance of something is always funny to hear especially since most games aren't that optimized to use much of CPU's 'theoretical performance' and there are examples of software overhead/drivers wasting that performance.

TheMink

They're not incorrect at all (well, the $3000 is). And they are relevant in some discussions. They are, however, massively overstated and overplayed by people who don't really understand the subject matter, and they are irrelevant to what NV has been doing lately (comparing hardware performance).

Ah makes sense

i-Lo

I have to say...the graph doesn't have consistent units on the axis. Looks like a really weird graph.

The Y-axis is multiplied by 10 whereas the X-axis is a linear one. Unless newer ways are found to maximise processing performance the rise will slow down.

Slavik81

Is this true? Shit, maybe my computer can run a 660. If so, that would be fantastic. I could use my computer for another 3 years or so, and still afford a PS4.

Yeah, the 600 line really cut down on the power-hungryness of the 500. I'm really thinking of upgrading now, rather than waiting for the 700...

ElfArmy177

It's the truth if you can't handle that I'm sorry, comparing ARMA to BF3 or CoD is like comparing Ridge Racer to GT5. ARMA takes more skill, time and patience to play and the gameplay attracts and creates some of the best players I've seen in the genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiYCKVsPKCk

Wake me up when the video is over.. Jesus Christ did they think the epic music made that look anymore fun? Just because the map is larger and there are more people doesnt mean it requires more skill.

By your argument, Planetside 2 has some of the best players in the world. The only reason it seems to take more skill in those games is because in battlefield you can hold your own against 32 other players. When it comes to planetside, there is no way in hell you can hold your own against platoons of 60 players each. It requires you to work with your teammates on a different level, thus seeming more complicated.

Zinthar

Despite the 600 line being more efficient than its immediate predecessors, that's really not true. Just compare a midrange card of today against the midrange cards of when the X360/PS3 generation started.

GTX660:
Max power: 140W
Length: 9.5"
Width: Dual-slot

8800GT:
Max power: 105W
Length: 9"
Width: Single-slot

You cherry-picked the 8800GT because it was the first card on a new, smaller process that was using older tech. Compare it to another mid-range card after a process change and you'll see the pattern there.

Additionally, the idle power consumption of the 660 is 20-28W less than the 8800GT (depending on how idle the card is), so if you use the computer for things other than gaming/3D rendering, the 660 will use less power overall. Also, the max power number overestimates the actual difference in game, where the 660 uses 23W more than the 8800GT in Metro 2033, for instance: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/...-review-gk106-rounds-out-the-kepler-family/16

So the 660 consumes about 20% more power under load, while the 8800GT consumes >500% more power while idling. Also, what relevance is the 0.5" length or single vs. dual-slot? In the case of the latter a single-slot surely could have been used, but you can use a much better heatsink if you go dual-slot, which means the active cooling (fan) won't have to work as hard.

I used to own the 8800GT -- I wish they had used a dual-slot cooler on it because its fan would go nuts under load.

In any case, you can't just will down the power requirements of high-end graphics cards. In order to chop 20% of the load power requirement off of the 660 NVidia would have had to make it a weaker card. Or, if you disagree with their design philosophy you could just buy a lower-end card that consumes less power -- essentially you're complaining that they didn't go that route.

Zinthar

[/B]

I was going to make a lengthy reply but meh. A few pages late as it is.

That PC probably runs on some fairy dust to to be in that price point and keep up with a PS4 for all of next generation.

I say fairy dust because you probably are not accounting for an OS(at least a Win7), no kb/m(even if a cheap combo), no accessories whatsoever, a very cheap MB/PSU that will hinder upgrades later, and the fact that you have to relay on a 7970's price being cut in 50%(not happening, not in only 9 month. Even a 6950 is like $260 and above. Also, no monitor here, but I guess we don't account for HDTV's either.) Had you added like $200 to that figure, I may have agreed, but no. I am building a very tight budget PC right now around an i5/7870 and the prices aren't as amazing as people make them out to be.

The theoretical performance of something is always funny to hear especially since most games aren't that optimized to use much of CPU's 'theoretical performance' and there are examples of software overhead/drivers wasting that performance.

If you want to add those you'd also have to add in the required accessories for a console, which are at least as pricey (a high-end gaming mouse costs roughly the same as a controller, but will almost certainly outlast it), and then to be really exact you'd have to account for the extra average cost paid for games on console. Hell, for Bioshock Infinite alone that's about $30.

Also, if you're building a computer, you might want to offset some or all of the cost that would go into buying a laptop, because then you could get away with a much cheaper one, or just buy an iPad mini instead and do all of your typing work on the desktop. The gaming PC would do photo editing, music collections, etc. much better than any laptop.

In sum, for core gamers who buy a lot of games, the very many digital distribution daily/seasonal deals that are present make the value proposition much more tricky than it used to be.

Slavik81

You cherry-picked the 8800GT because it was the first card on a new, smaller process that was using older tech. Compare it to another mid-range card after a process change and you'll see the pattern there.
I picked the 8800GT because it was in the first gaming PC I built.

Or, if you disagree with their design philosophy you could just buy a lower-end card that consumes less power -- essentially you're complaining that they didn't go that route.

Not really. I just had gotten the feeling that efficiency increases were not keeping the pace with increases in processing power, but it seems we're roughly keeping even.

My most recent card was a 560 Ti Core 446, and perhaps it skewed my perspective a little.

BrbZrk

Banned
I suspect there will be a sharp decrease in people putting weight into Digital Foundry's stuff next generation.

Soooo true!!

Every year since 2006 Sony was LOST and damned and failed whatever. Nothing could save it but in reality it was outselling xbox. NOW, next gen is comin and "they're" kinda acknowlegding Sonys victory but " its too late now, look the 720 is around the corner"

and now they see Playstation beats it with power (again actually) all of a sudden i see articles like "is power really THAT important???" etc

fuck

Typical downgrading western evil media who want the downfall of Sony.

Remember project midway!

According to this graph the current generation actually took a lot longer to become completely outpaced (10x more flops) than ps2 gen...

Interesting, and kinda impressive, as I always had the impression this gen was surpassed faster...

abadguy

Banned
Soooo true!!

Every year since 2006 Sony was LOST and damned and failed whatever. Nothing could save it but in reality it was outselling xbox. NOW, next gen is comin and "they're" kinda acknowlegding Sonys victory but " its too late now, look the 720 is around the corner"

and now they see Playstation beats it with power (again actually) all of a sudden i see articles like "is power really THAT important???" etc

fuck

Typical downgrading western evil media who want the downfall of Sony.

Remember project midway!

Damned sarcasm detector!

JJD

That's kind of a subjective thing. I was pretty hyped for KZ2, but after playing it with its tiny FOV and muddy-ass graphics, I thought it looked like shit. Then again, I'm primarily a PC gamer. In fact, I think KZ was the last game I played on the PS3 before I homebrewed it and turned it into a dedicated MAME box.

Yeah, it is subjective. And I can understand KZ2 failing to wow you considering your PC background.

But sincerely I have never seen anyone complain that the KZ2 beta or demo was more impressive than the final game.

To each his own I guess.

Ce-Lin

I still don't know how people can play 30fps FPS or racing games, but to each his own.

I know, the prophet forvige the sinners playing Bioshock Infinite on consoles at evil 30 fps!! oh well, I do feel that a framerate of 30 is smooth enough except for the fighting genre and some driving simulators.

As long as animations don't feel "floaty" (this is, the game is properly coded for 30 fps) I'll be happy with 1080p 30fps for next gen with maximum eye-candy and IQ.

coldfoot

Banned
Or, as an alternative explanation, they only care that their side wins and will move the goal posts accordingly depending on who they're up against.
Not at all. People want as good graphics as they can get, but only on a console. No amount of graphics superiority is worth giving up the couch or ease of use or controller (and only controller) for most people. That superiority is getting much less with next gen as we hit the 1080p wall.

Top Bottom