• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia: PS4 specs are low end CPU and mid range GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

USC-fan

Banned
That's the thing - I think anyone who buys Titan now, can pretty much sit back and relax for the next 5 years, safe in the knowledge that his graphics card surpasses PS4 by a comfortable enough margin that he can run any game in 1080p and at better settings than possible on consoles, as long as PS4 is a top tier platform.

Powerful GPUs effectively no longer become outdated, thanks to consoles. On the flip side there is not much progress in visual fidelity until the next "next generation" hits.

Sure if the goal post just stop moving. The problem with no matter how powerful that dx9 gpu from when the x360 launch it cannot play bf3 or any other game that needs dx10.

So you are only good until dx12 is anything higher is dx11.1 is announce.

The real reason for the damage control from nvidia is for the first time both consoles run on the same hardware as PC. Now the ps4 is pitched as a easy to developed for PC developers. You have game developer just trashing windows 8. Now the nightmare of simcity.... I see a lot of PC dev moving to consoles. Way more money to be made...

teo72

Neo Member
Why do we waste time arguing. We will most likely never be able to agree. I suspect that no matter how many games are presented at E3 with better looking graphics compared to today's Pc games, PC gamers will likely never admit it... They have spendt too much money on their rig(my assumption).

Just as PS3 fans (myself included) have a very hard time admitting that the xbox360, with about half the gflops of the PS3, more often than not produce as good and sometimes better looking games compared to the PS3.

Why? Simple, the xbox360 has better architecture, except the dvd drive, compared to the PS3. Ps3 has the same problem as pc's. time-bottleneck from CPU to GPU, due to sequencial nature of the design and 2 memory pools. Where as in the Xbox360, the CPU and GPU work in the same memorypool simultaniously, thereby getting more done in less time, so it needs less power to do the same job.

sholvaco

Neo Member
Disclaimer: I am not a tech guy.

In the latest Orbis Vgleak, I remember people mentioning the "ring" system may enforce the devs to draw an inflexible line to divide up the shared pool for GPU and CPU related tasks (in a single level I suppose). In essence it'll the same as PS3 save the fact that devs get to choose this hard ratio. Is there any truth to this?

Also, when the CPU and GPU concurrently access the UMA ram, can the bandwidth division be simply a matter of subtraction (i.e. if the CPU is using 16GB/sec then the GPU at that moment can access data at 176-16 = 160GB/sec)?

Very much doubt they both access RAM concurrently, they are most likely time sharing the access.

I suspect that no matter how many games are presented at E3 with better looking graphics compared to today's Pc games, PC gamers will likely never admit it...

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that next-gen multiplatform games will look even better on PC?

Seeing how those games will be developed on PC in the first place, I don't think that will become a problem. :)

Not just that, any multiplatform titles will also need to work on Durango.

You guys really see devs leading on PC ?
I see them going Durango and scaling up which why people should hope it better that what the leaks saying .

Why is it so hard for some people to understand that next-gen multiplatform games will look even better on PC?

I don't think anyone should debate that , it's if they willing to pay the price .

teo72

Neo Member

I can easely admit it when I see a better looking game on PC, but I will never assume like you, that this will allways be the case (If in fact it is this you claim) BTW you just proved my point. I'm NOT

Perkel

Banned
Yeah, CPUs are really not something anyone with a decent gaming PC should be worried about. Unless you want to play ports of 30 FPS games at 60 FPS, you'll probably need to go a bit upmarket for that -- but that's absolutely a case of "you get what you pay for".

Not just that, any multiplatform titles will also need to work on Durango.

I think key word is "right now".

GPU side of things scale well when you are creating multiplatform titles but CPU code doesn't. Just drop resolution, lower framerate and voila !

If you run AI on CPU you can't just make it worse because it will mean that you need redesign game same as many other things that are calculated in CPU.

We are constrained by console games even if those buffed ports like BF3.

iceatcs

Well all of the time look more clear and run better.

I think there are slight few are look better on PC, but at the ending gen of course will be more.

teo72

Neo Member

I can easely admit it when I see a better looking game on PC, but I will never assume like you, that this will allways be the case (If in fact it is this you claim) BTW you just proved my point. I'm NOT claiming that there will garantied be PS4 games that are graphically superior to PC. All I am claiming is that there is a slight chance they CAN be. Based upon what I understand of the leaked PS4 specs. We will know more about what the PS4 will be able to do, at E3.

erick

Banned
I suspect that no matter how many games are presented at E3 with better looking graphics compared to today's Pc games, PC gamers will likely never admit it... They have spendt too much money on their rig(my assumption).

Xeon E5645 6C/12T 2,4GHz @ 4GHz, air cooling
24GB of 1333MHz DDR3 RAM (6x4GB)
GTX 580 1536MB
2TB HDD
850W Power supply
Silverstone Raven 2 case

All that stuff I bought second-hand, except RAM and PSU. Total budget so far is like 883 EUR.

In my country that's only one Steam Christmas sale's worth of games away from buying a PS3 and the same games at 60 EUR a pop.

Perkel

Banned
GTX 580 1536MB
2TB HDD
850W Power supply
Silverstone Raven 2 case

All that stuff I bought second-hand, except RAM and PSU. Total budget so far is like 883 EUR.

In my country that's only one Steam Christmas sale's worth of games away from buying a PS3 and the same games at 60 EUR a pop.

I never get it why when someone type in his spec he must usher there his case.

teo72

Neo Member
Console games are more expencive than PC games, true. But remember, I do not have to upgrade my hardware every 6 months in order to get decent performance from my games. If you ad up the amount of money you put into your gaming rig in a consoles lifetime, then I think you will find that Ps3/xbox360/wii are quite a bit cheaper, even if you ad the price of the games.

...unless of course you pirate every game you play...

erick

Banned
Console games are more expencive than PC games, true. But remember, I do not have to upgrade my hardware every 6 months in order to get decent performance from my games. If you ad up the amount of money you put into your gaming rig in a consoles lifetime, then I think you will find that Ps3/xbox360/wii are quite a bit cheaper, even if you ad the price of the games.

Oh come on :)

You really think this PC needs constant upgrading? I've already had it for almost 2 years. Once the PS4 hits I'll just put in a very fast GPU and that's it! I'm set for the new console cycle, probably at around the price of the PS4! :)

Also, nobody needs to pirate on PC anymore. Steam sales give away games at ridiculous price, for 60 EUR I could buy more than I have time to game through in 6 months easily. And then the next big sale comes.

USC-fan

Banned
GTX 580 1536MB
2TB HDD
850W Power supply
Silverstone Raven 2 case

That PC pretty weak compare to the PC talk about in this thread. Ps4 would have no problem out performing that.

You really need a new video card...

teo72

Neo Member
Oh come on :)

You really think this PC needs constant upgrading? I've already had it for almost 2 years. Once the PS4 hits I'll just put in a very fast GPU and that's it! I'm set for the new console cycle, probably at around the price of the PS4! :)

One new GPU for the next 6-8 years... I do not think so. Unless you regard an eventual 5fps as playable.

One new GPU for the next 6-8 years... I do not think so. Unless you regard an eventual 5fps as playable.

WHAAAT! WHHAAAT! There is a thing called settings. Even if he would have to lower it, it would still look better than console variant and have better performance.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You guys really see devs leading on PC ?
I see them going Durango and scaling up which why people should hope it better that what the leaks saying .

Yes, they will create content on PCs, you cannot "scale up" textures and models, you have to create high res (or high poly ) versions and then "scale down" to meet a lower target. Engines are created for each platform, but the art and content is created independently on PCs by artists.

erick

Banned

This just begs me to point out that 8800 GTX from 2006 runs Dishonored in Full HD max settings at around 60 fps.

It is now 6+ years old.

By the way, Crysis 2 runs on medium-high settings in Full HD @ 30-40 fps as well! Who knew right?

Durante

Let's wait a few months then, we'll know for sure.
Yeah, I think that's really the best response in some of these "discussions".

Wait until we can grab some real framebuffer images from multiplatform titles running on the new consoles and compare them to what we get with FRAPS.

I strongly believe that by mid-2014 console-only gamers will again have lost all interest in PC comparisons.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Wow man. You really do not hide it, do you?

So you count Steam sales but regular sales at retail or PSN, those do not count. It's always MSRP?

Durante

Wow man. You really do not hide it, do you?

So you count Steam sales but regular sales at retail or PSN, those do not count. It's always MSRP?
I don't think he's that far off. I try to buy all games, PC and console, as cheap as possible, and there's at least a €15 difference per game on average in the purchase price.

Yes, they will create content on PCs, you cannot "scale up" textures and models, you have to create high res (or high poly ) versions and then "scale down" to meet a lower target. Engines are created for each platform, but the art and content is created independently on PCs by artists.

Creating the content on PC is not as the same as it being the lead dev platform .
I mean they already do that this gen but X box 360 is the lead for most games and later on we saw PS3 be lead for some .

I strongly believe that by mid-2014 console-only gamers will again have lost all interest in PC comparisons.

Man you should know better than lol
Come

teo72

Neo Member
WHAAAT! WHHAAAT! There is a thing called settings. Even if he would have to lower it would still look better than console variant.

Today yes. Today's consoles (PS3, XBOX360 and WII U) is easely beaten by modern PC's. PS3 is 7 years old...

But 7 years from now, when the ps4 is getting ready to be replaced by ps5, then I think you will struggle with running games even on low setting. I'm thinking games like Crysis 5, or whatever the top games 7 years from now will be. 7 years from now, the graphics might look better when you're standing still (in the game), but as soon as you move, I think the framerate will make it pretty much unplayable. While on Ps4, games will still run as smoothly as they will do on launch, and most likely with better gfx compared to lauchtitles.

Lulubop

...unless of course you pirate every game you play...

You gotta be kidding me with this shit.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't think he's that far off. I try to buy all games, PC and console, as cheap as possible, and there's at least a €15 difference per game on average in the purchase price.
If you do follow sales. Then you must also be aware of retail sales that had prices that Steam didn't even offer until 6 months into a game's life-cycle.

I also buy all games as cheap as possible and PC games are usually cheaper. But they certainly don't hold the monopoly on sales.

Let's say I bought like 60 games the last 4 years day 1. (It might be a bit lower, but it's approximately correct.)
I never ever paid 60 EUR for a game on launch day.

I find that teo72 poster absolutely silly but based on my checkbook I would absolutely sign a statement that I didn't get my value out of a PC, despite the cheaper game price.

Minsc

Gold Member
Let's wait a few months then, we'll know for sure.

Yes, these discussions are all the same after enough pages and this is the best answer for them imo. If there's something else people want to discuss that hasn't been covered well enough here, I think the best course of action is a new thread focused on that issue. This one's run its course now and is quite sidetracked. And people would be wise to not bring tired arguments of piracy, 6 month upgrade costs and other strawmen to future threads. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom