• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia reveals Volta GPU and Roadmap

Daedardus

Nvidia needs to get their timeline right. Maxwell comes before Volta? And Fermi even before that? I hope that they are better at making GPU's than they are at history.

Why are people comparing PC specs to console specs? The PS3 was "dead before it was even born" based on its specs yet it is pretty much a given that a similarly specced PC as the PS3 won't be able to play most of the games that the PS3 plays.

Since AMD has said that they won't be releasing a newer generation this year (or for a while), this is prime time for Nvidia. When PC gamers look to upgrade this year and possibly next, they'll most likely be buying Nvidia since AMD's offerings would be dated.

So now console warriors have muddied the RAM waters so much that any talk of it in regards to graphics is impossible I guess. No one's feeble minds can possibly comprehend what this mythical thing called RAM does unless they are a developer.

Log4Girlz

Why are people comparing PC specs to console specs? The PS3 was "dead before it was even born" based on its specs yet it is pretty much a given that a similarly specced PC as the PS3 won't be able to play most of the games that the PS3 plays.

Since AMD has said that they won't be releasing a newer generation this year (or for a while), this is prime time for Nvidia. When PC gamers look to upgrade this year and possibly next, they'll most likely be buying Nvidia since AMD's offerings would be dated.

There is a much wider gulf this time around.

Ardenyal

1015603474.jpg

Early prototype I guess, at least they have the cooling down to pat.

The PC is definitely going to be able to outpace the power of the PlayStation 4 this generation more quickly than the PC outpaced the PlayStation 3 last generation.

The comments about the PlayStation 4 and comparison, are I assume, of the fact that news like this reminds them of that.

Of course, consoles always have being consoles going for them. And people will still buy them. I will. I have no idea what's going to happen this generation, though.

Arulan

The PC is definitely going to be able to outpace the power of the PlayStation 4 this generation more quickly than the PC outpaced the PlayStation 3 last generation.

The comments about the PlayStation 4 and comparison, are I assume, of the fact that news like this reminds them of that.

Of course, consoles always have being consoles going for them. And people will still buy them. I will. I have no idea what's going to happen this generation, though.

That seems very likely, if not a given, especially considering the starting point this time is already very much ahead.

I'm more curious about how the console market will react to Valve's eventual SteamBox. If they can offer a product to demonstrate all the advantages of PC gaming while keeping the simple easy-to-use design of consoles it could be very attractive for that type of consumer.

I'm curious as to why GAF doesn't have a thread dedicated to showing the advantages of PC gaming and making comparisons to the console alternative. Especially with "platform wars" the turn of a generation tends to spark, the amount of misinformation on the subject seems to be much higher than I thought.

well, by the time Volta arrives i'll probably be exhausted of my future PS4 (graphically) and would be turning to the PC again.

maxwell isn't here yet and you know they're going to pump two iterations of that architecture into the retail channel. 2014 f/ maxwell and probably late 2015 f/ maxwell revision. late 2016 volta launch?

no point in waiting for that ish. looks promising, but i'm not getting hyped just yet. maxwell seems nice though w/ it's virtual memory addressing

onQ123

You have to love these turn of events we have been having here on neogaf over the last year or so about Ram lol.

PS4 & Xbox3 specs leak with PS4 having 2-4GB of GDDR5 & Xbox3 having 8GB of DDR3

PS4 Fans: it's all about that Bandwidth baby 8GB of slow ram lol it's not a PC it's a console what's the point of 8GB of Ram no games will need that much ram.

Xbox3 Fans: 8GB of ram! OMG PS4 is going to die with it's 2GB of GDDR5 lol no way they can ever get 4GB of GDDR5 it's too hot & expensive not going to happen! (Dance singing 'it's all about the capacity baby')

PC Fans: (Laugh) lol​

Fast Forward to PS4 8GB of GDDR5

Everyone all together: Holy Shit !

PS4 fans: (running around going crazy a few even smacking PC gamers behind the head while doing so)

Xbox 3 fans: (still standing around confused by what just took place) How did this happen?

Leader of Xbox fans: ok go out & find any dirt we can find to throw on GDDR5!

Xfan1: 176GB/s is overkill 68GB/s is enough plus we have 32MB of 102GB/s ESRAM add that up 170GB/s

PS4 Fan: that's not how you do it you can't just add them together (keeps dancing )

Xfan2 to leader: look what I found sir? {what is it?} some papers about memory latency it says that DDR3 has better latency than GDDR5 {Good Enough spread the word}

Xbox3 fans: Haha! your PS4 is going to suck the GDDR5 latency is going to mess up everything there is no use of having 3X the bandwidth when you have bad memory latency haha PS4 graphics are going to look the same as Xbox3 graphics if not worse because we have low latency ESRAM on the GPU it's special who needs 176GB/s when you have low latency ESRAM!

Confused PS4 Fans: the what does what? if that's true why doesn't any PC GPU's have ESRAM + DDR3?

Xbox3 fans: because they are not as smart as Microsoft this is the future PC gamers are going to wish that PC GPU's had 32MB of ESRAM

PC Fans: that's it! (runs in attacking console fans )

Xbox3 fans: hey man hey man it's cool we are brothers we should be working together it's them PS4 fans with their 8GB's of GDDR5 that you should be worried about.

PC fans: (enters PS4 party) PS4 has low end PC parts deal with it!

PS4 fans: Good luck with your $1000 GPU's with less than 8GB of GDDR5 suckers

Xbox3 fans: (well we can relax PC fans are going to handle this battle for us but we can still throw a few shots here & there) 3X the bandwidth is nothing 68GB/s is all we need for 1080P PS4 wasted money on GDDR5 it's going to cost more money but still have the same graphics, bandwidth is nothing!​

Nvidia shows roadmap with Volta GPU with Stacked Ram with 1TB per second of bandwidth sometime after 2015

Everyone all together: Holy Shit!

PC fans: what did we tell you bitches? bow down!

Xbox3 fans: haha PS4 fans where is your GDDR5 God now? PS4 is dead PC is going to have 6X the bandwidth of your 176GB/s GDDR5 PS4 is dead before it even release.

PS4 fans: (standing around confused by what just took place)

Wii U fans: this is why we don't even talk about specs what the hell is latency & what is the bandwidth for & what good is stacking male sheep on top of each other they can't make babies that way Nvidia has lost their damn minds.

It's around 6 times faster. And why shouldn't it be? PC will be ~66% ahead in single-GPU BW when PS4 releases, and this will be 2-3 years later. Progress!

For Science.

I see one upgrade in my future, maybe another 680 for sli or 780 if it's substantially better. Than probably a year or two wait until 2016 for an Nvidia Nuclear Titan Express and then never upgrade again, until The Matrix is real.

UrbanRats

It's around 6 times faster. And why shouldn't it be? PC will be ~66% ahead in single-GPU BW when PS4 releases, and this will be 2-3 years later. Progress!

I don't know! :p

As a PC gamer i'm happy, though as a console + PC gamer, i'm actually worried we'll reach that point we've hit this gen, where PC was embarrassingly ahead of consoles, but held back for years, even sooner.

I hope this console generation won't last as long as the last one, i'll say.

AMD has some serious work ahead of them to compete.

Psst... Nvidia doesn't make RAM chips. They (and the other companies that make their cards) buy them from companies that DO make RAM (like kingston, samsung, etc etc). In other words, AMD will have access to these chips at the same time and likely for the same price as Nvidia. I wouldn't worry about it, AMD has been competing very well on the graphic card front, and I don't expect they'd suddenly drop the ball when these hit.

Well, the good one will be Einstein at 10nm that will make exaflops super computers possible. After that...graphene.

The funny thing is Nvidias next architecture, Maxwell, main selling point is unified virtual memory...technology that, you know in which consoles will ship this winter?.

There is a much wider gulf this time around.

I don't think so. The PS3's GPU, for example, was merely a 7800GTX. One of the most noticeable jumps in generations occurred when Nvidia released the 8000 series, which is basically what put it ahead and has kept it ahead of ATI and now AMD. The 8000 series launched the same year as the PS3. I even bought the $700 (Canadian) monster 8800GTX in December of that year and it was already blowing almost anything the PS3 has (and has had). I was playing Oblivion and The Shivering Isles with mods and to this day, not a single PS3 game has come close to looking as amazing as open world Shivering Isles with texture mods on that old 8800GTX.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I don't know! :p

As a PC gamer i'm happy, though as a console + PC gamer, i'm actually worried we'll reach that point we've hit this gen, where PC was embarrassingly ahead of consoles, but held back for years, even sooner.

I hope this console generation won't last as long as the last one, i'll say.

If you're an """enthusiast""" pc-gamer then I think this will be the case from now on, pcs are getting bigger and bigger while consoles still have to adhere their formfactor, tdp and whatnot.

munroe

Currently got a 560GTX, I'll miss Kepler, will probably go for Maxwell and then upgrade again to whatever the next thing after Volta is.

Kenka

It will be 8GB of DDR6 RAM!!!
You get it wrong: it's (G)DDR-somethingwhatever.

Currently got a 560GTX, I'll miss Kepler, will probably go for Maxwell and then upgrade again to whatever the next thing after Volta is.
I have a 560 GTi and I am able to run the Witcher 2 effortlessly. Most games in the upcoming three years will be swallowed just as easily, so if I was you I would think of skipping two gens before considering Volta.

Trojan X

Banned
You have to love these turn of events we have been having here on neogaf over the last year or so about Ram lol.

PS4 & Xbox3 specs leak with PS4 having 2-4GB of GDDR5 & Xbox3 having 8GB of DDR3

PS4 Fans: it's all about that Bandwidth baby 8GB of slow ram lol it's not a PC it's a console what's the point of 8GB of Ram no games will need that much ram.

Xbox3 Fans: 8GB of ram! OMG PS4 is going to die with it's 2GB of GDDR5 lol no way they can ever get 4GB of GDDR5 it's too hot & expensive not going to happen! (Dance singing 'it's all about the capacity baby')

PS4 fans: (running around going crazy a few even smacking PC gamers behind the head while doing so)

Xbox 3 fans: (still standing around confused by what just took place) How did this happen?

Leader of Xbox fans: ok go out & find any dirt we can find to throw on GDDR5!

Xfan1: 176GB/s is overkill 68GB/s is enough plus we have 32MB of 102GB/s ESRAM add that up 170GB/s

PS4 Fan: that's not how you do it you can't just add them together (keeps dancing )

Xfan2 to leader: look what I found sir? {what is it?} some papers about memory latency it says that DDR3 has better latency than GDDR5 {Good Enough spread the word}

Xbox3 fans: Haha! your PS4 is going to suck the GDDR5 latency is going to mess up everything there is no use of having 3X the bandwidth when you have bad memory latency haha PS4 graphics are going to look the same as Xbox3 graphics if not worse because we have low latency ESRAM on the GPU it's special who needs 176GB/s when you have low latency ESRAM!

Confused PS4 Fans: the what does what? if that's true why doesn't any PC GPU's have ESRAM + DDR3?

Xbox3 fans: because they are not as smart as Microsoft this is the future PC gamers are going to wish that PC GPU's had 32MB of ESRAM

Xbox3 fans: hey man hey man it's cool we are brothers we should be working together it's them PS4 fans with their 8GB's of GDDR5 that you should be worried about.

Xbox3 fans: (well we can relax PC fans are going to handle this battle for us but we can still throw a few shots here & there) 3X the bandwidth is nothing 68GB/s is all we need for 1080P PS4 wasted money on GDDR5 it's going to cost more money but still have the same graphics, bandwidth is nothing!​

Nvidia shows roadmap with Volta GPU with Stacked Ram with 1TB per second of bandwidth sometime after 2015

Xbox3 fans: haha PS4 fans where is your GDDR5 God now? PS4 is dead PC is going to have 6X the bandwidth of your 176GB/s GDDR5 PS4 is dead before it even release.

Wii U fans: this is why we don't even talk about specs what the hell is latency & what is the bandwidth for & what good is stacking male sheep on top of each other they can't make babies that way Nvidia has lost their damn minds.

That's practically whats been happening! A well put story indeed.

squidyj

Grow up people.

Good news for gaming. From what I saw of the event it looked mighty impressive. I think I'll hold off on upgrading until these babies are out in the wild at a mass market price.

For gaming: PC exclusives, higher image quality features, better framerate, better 3d performance, more mods to make skyrim 2 look even more impressive. The works.

So........... how many years then?

Kenka

It has already been discussed but:

A unified 8 GB of GDDR5 is costly, and also a waste for caching/OS. Sony could have easily spared money on this one. Both the customers and them alike didn't need that expense.

Regarding Volta, I want to know how much of a role GPU computing will play with it. Can I launch a fast trading company with the sole help of my PC and a 100 Mb/s connection now ?

UrbanRats

If you're an """enthusiast""" pc-gamer then I think this will be the case from now on, pcs are getting bigger and bigger while consoles still have to adhere their formfactor, tdp and whatnot.

Yeah, i guess PC gamers have dealt with it since forever, but i personally became one just recently (like, 2010) before that having just a laptop to play with PC exclusives.
Gotta get used to it, i guess.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yeah, i guess PC gamers have dealt with it since forever, but i personally became one just recently (like, 2010) before that having just a laptop to play with PC exclusives.
Gotta get used to it, i guess.

Don't worry there will always be exclusives and mutliplatform versions of games that really make use of high-end pc hardware.

TheD

The Detective

PS4 Fan: Haha, GDDR5 is better in every way over DDR3, PCs are stuck with DDR3 as main RAM, it will take years for them to catch up, PS4 -> PC !1!1111!!1

Someone with a brain: No, CPUs are latency bound, not bandwidth bound and because GDDR5 has higher latency it is not well suited for use with fast PC CPUs.

I fixed that for you.

Top Bottom