• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Aaah From what I remember, Spider-Man basically has some kinda botched RT - not true reflections, lower resolution too. Things would COULD be implemented on the 3080/3090 to improve performance without being has high a hit, but still look great
So why don't they implement it..? I mean, it looks insanely impressive in Miles Morales, regardless of what they're using.

Aaah From what I remember, Spider-Man basically has some kinda botched RT - not true reflections, lower resolution too. Things would COULD be implemented on the 3080/3090 to improve performance without being has high a hit, but still look great
I'm pretty sure MM is using a combo of screen-space and RT refelections. With the RT reflections being of lower resolution. It still looks great though, and they should be commended for what they've done really. It's smart to use SS when it makes sense, where as RT may give you more accuracy, even if it's not very perceivable at the cost of a lot of performance. Use it where it's best used, not everywhere if it kills performance is a good stance IMO.

I'm pretty sure MM is using a combo of screen-space and RT refelections. With the RT reflections being of lower resolution. It still looks great though, and they should be commended for what they've done really. It's smart to use SS when it makes sense, where as RT may give you more accuracy, even if it's not very perceivable at the cost of a lot of performance. Use it where it's best used, not everywhere if it kills performance is a good stance IMO.

Exactly. Developers need to focus on things like this whilst full RT is still not mature enough.

Korranator

I can't believe I still can't get a hold of the 3080. It's beyond ridiculous. Even with AMDs BigNavi literally right around the corner. If this continues and AMD plays their cards right I might jump ship and join the other team. A first for me, ever. I have never perviously owned a AMD GPU, and I'm sure I not the only one thinking this.

This launch is a perfect example of how you screw over lifelong core customers, and lose them.

Last edited:
I can't believe I still can't get a hold of the 3080. It's beyond ridiculous. Even with AMDs BigNavi literally right around the corner. If this continues and AMD plays their cards right I might jump ship and join the other team. A first for me, ever. I have never perviously owned a AMD GPU, and I'm sure I not the only one thinking this.

If what has been reported is true, good luck getting one of the new AMDs. It's gonna be the same for stock levels.

ZywyPL

Banned
Rumours says that it has 20GB of VRAM.

HKNN5Ny.jpg

This is massive if true.

Those specs don't make much sense, it's essentially a 3090 minus 4GB RAM...

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ended up buying the EVGA 3090 XC3 Ultra. Will be here Friday. Seems the reviews say it runs hot with too small a heatsink, but as I'll be throwing a waterblock on it anyway, it shouldn't matter.

Rickyiez

this account post lots of rumors. anyone keeping track of his hits?

It's losing credibility TBH . First it says 3070 16GB and 3080 20GB , then canceled , then resurface then cancel again then finally 3080Ti now . A few days before he's RIP'ing 3080 , saying there are 6800xt leak a day after , but quickly rescind it and said the source is not from him . I would stop following him TBH , Videocardz or Harukaze are better sources .

Received my EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra after waiting for more than a month, I sold my TUF Gaming to a close friend of mine for the same amount I paid for, glad to help a brother

Last edited:

TheKratos

If the 3080ti is coming I have a feeling it will replace 3090. 3090 itself will become the Titan card with better performance than current 3090

kiphalfton

Am I willing to go through this crap again for a RTX 3080 Ti.:pie_thinking:

The answer is probably,especially if it is indeed $999 and has 20GB VRAM.

dmman

Neo Member
After almost two months, today was my lucky day. Ordered my 3080 from Newegg! Let's just hope Cyberpunk doesn't get delayed again.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've had two shops pushing my orders back every two weeks now. One order (TUF) suddenly got pushed to January 2021.. But the other one (TUF OC) surprisingly has a delivery date next week.. I'm not holding my breath (yeah right Mr. Gullible..).

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
The two month wait is over. Secured one from the Best Buy drop the other day and it got here this afternoon. This thing is glorious and absolutely destroys every single game I've thrown at it.

CCqznpW.jpg

Pagusas

Elden Member
My 3090 comes in tomorrow.... excited! Cant believe I pulled the trigger and spent $1700 on a video card (EVGA). Never had EVGA either, worried about the quality but here's hoping it'll be ok!

BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef What did you end selling your 3080 for on Ebay?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still can't believe I don't have a card. Tbf I haven't been trying nearly as hard in the last 2 weeks, but I just can't believe I've had so much trouble. At this point I almost feel like waiting for the 3080ti in January for $1000.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef What did you end selling your 3080 for on Ebay?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still can't believe I don't have a card. Tbf I haven't been trying nearly as hard in the last 2 weeks, but I just can't believe I've had so much trouble. At this point I almost feel like waiting for the 3080ti in January for $1000.

I wound up not selling it; I contacted Micro Center, asked that my expired return-period be extended, and returned the card last night.

I now have a 2nd RTX 3090 (EVGA FTW3 Ultra Gaming) and will swap it into my PC when I arrive home. I'll store my other 3090 in my closet until I build a 2nd PC next year.

Sentenza

I ordered both an EVGA 3080 and an AMD 5800x from a German store, ComputerUniverse.
It keeps sending updates on the "status of my order" that read more or less "Yep, we still remember you have one" without ever telling me if and when I'm actually getting my stuff. But they took the money already.
I feel like I'm being trolled, honestly.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Asus 3080 TUF, Scan.co.uk have a queue for outstanding pre-orders. I went from 259 to 242.

That's unfortunate. I was in EVGA's queue for the 3090; I joined the queue on October 5th and was contacted on November 9th. I would imagine that the queue for the 3080 is moving much more slowly.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You ridin' all the lightning tonight, bruh

I've installed the EVGA RTX 3090 and have played a bit of Control on it. It's considerably faster than my PNY RTX 3090; it hits the top frame rate of the PNY RTX 3090 and pretty much stays there. For example, when playing at 4K via DLSS Performance mode (1080p upscaled to 4K), it stays between 115 to 120 frames per second, whereas my PNY RTX 3090 mostly stays in the 80s and 90s and only occasionally hits 115 to 120 frames per second. The higher power limit definitely makes a difference; according to MSI Afterburner's on-screen data, the PNY maxes out at 350 watts but the EVGA maxes out at ~414 watts.

I've installed the EVGA RTX 3090 and have played a bit of Control on it. It's considerably faster than my PNY RTX 3090; it hits the top frame rate of the PNY RTX 3090 and pretty much stays there. For example, when playing at 4K via DLSS Performance mode (1080p upscaled to 4K), it stays between 115 to 120 frames per second, whereas my PNY RTX 3090 mostly stays in the 80s and 90s and only occasionally hits 115 to 120 frames per second. The higher power limit definitely makes a difference; according to MSI Afterburner's on-screen data, the PNY maxes out at 350 watts but the EVGA maxes out at ~414 watts.

I am on some sort of never ending wait list for either an EVGA 3080 or 3090. I need it

I NEED IT

Sounds great, thanks for your impressions

Last edited:

TheKratos

Judging by the rumors the 3080ti will be as strong as the 3090? So what's the point of 3090 then.. just 4gb extra ram and NVlink for 500 bucks more?

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Admerer

Finally was able to grab a Asus 3080 TUF from Amazon today, ETA 2 weeks.

Unbelievable, what a shit show this has been.

Now the rumored 3080Ti is coming in January making my card pretty much a second tier before I even get it.😑

DeaDPo0L84

I set a fan curve for my 3090fe. Seems the stock fan curve does okay until higher temps then suddenly ramps up noticeably.

I now have it set to always be at 30% and then slowly ramp up to a max of 60% under load, so far so good.

Does that seem like a reasonable fan curve for a 3090fe from other users experience?

Senua

Gold Member
Judging by the rumors the 3080ti will be as strong as the 3090? So what's the point of 3090 then.. just 4gb extra ram and NVlink for 500 bucks more?

There isn't one really, nvidia dun goofed and AMD kicked them straight in the plums

It's just to make money. The 3090 is basically the new Titan, release that first and every hardcore enthusiast will buy it. Then release a cheaper version which a lot more people will buy. I think AMD sped up this process by bringing some competition.

mitchman

Gold Member
It's just to make money. The 3090 is basically the new Titan, release that first and every hardcore enthusiast will buy it. Then release a cheaper version which a lot more people will buy. I think AMD sped up this process by bringing some competition.
3090 is not really a titan except in price, it lacks many of the virtualization features that created a niche for the Titan.

Man, did nVidia ever shit the bed on this paper launch. The product stack is all kinds of messed up now that they are presumably modifying it on the fly to react to AMD. I guess they have no choice but if they release a 3060 12gb & 3060 Ti 8gb vs the 3070 8gb and 3080 10gb...just...🤦‍♂️

I went from wanting a 3070 at launch to realizing 8gb isn't enough to thinking I'd pick up a 3080 10tb to being pissed that there was no stock and scalpers bought most of them to feeling relieved I didn't pick one up when AMD showed their hand.

I wonder how many people feel the same way and how many sales nVidia lost as a result? I generally have preferred GeForce over Radeon for a couple gens now but I think there's a great chance I'll be going team Red this time around, probably sometime early next year.

What a cluster fuck on nVidias part.

Man, did nVidia ever shit the bed on this paper launch. The product stack is all kinds of messed up now that they are presumably modifying it on the fly to react to AMD. I guess they have no choice but if they release a 3060 12gb & 3060 Ti 8gb vs the 3070 8gb and 3080 10gb...just...🤦‍♂️

I went from wanting a 3070 at launch to realizing 8gb isn't enough to thinking I'd pick up a 3080 10tb to being pissed that there was no stock and scalpers bought most of them to feeling relieved I didn't pick one up when AMD showed their hand.

I wonder how many people feel the same way and how many sales nVidia lost as a result? I generally have preferred GeForce over Radeon for a couple gens now but I think there's a great chance I'll be going team Red this time around, probably sometime early next year.

It took me just under 2 days of putting a little effort in to being able to get a 3080 - just monitored websites for changes / stock alert sites.

TriSuit666

Banned

I'll disagree it was a paper launch, but everything else I'll give you a fist bump on, as I'm feeling the same. I've got a 3070 pre-order in which's getting close to be fulfilled, but I'm finding I'm flip-flopping between cancelling and waiting for January or sticking it out.

Admerer

You'll be back.

I thought the same as you, screw Nvidia for this paper launch I'm going team red, but then the Zen 3 launch happened.

I tried to buy a 5900x to go with the soon to released 6800xt but it was high demand, low supply and scalpers with bots at their disposal that made that nearly impossible.

I've decided to keep my 7700k for another year, save myself the aggregation by avoiding the 6800xt launch and making due with whatever I can get my hands on first.

We can't win no matter what team we're on😔

Top Bottom