• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I don't really know if that's the case. I think 3080 is a better choice as price difference is huge and performance gains are laughable. I would say it's best to buy 3080 now and upgrade as soon as 4000 series cards are released.

Just wait for the inevitable 3080 Super.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hate waiting. 3080 will be good enough until 4000 series are released. If not for Cyberpunk I probably wouldn't care so much.

I would have bought a 3080 in October if I could have, so whether I want to or not, I've been waiting for a while now and it looks like I will continue to do so.

Hydroxy

Dunno if anybody posted this but

Seems solid card for people that want to upgrade. no clue why he benches on 1440p tho specially with raytracing kinda useless its a 1080p card.

3060Ti is not a 1080p card. Its a 1440p card. And maybe even 4K(with DLSS). Many games avg over 60fps at 4K. 1080p sweet spot is rumoured to launch in January which will be the 3060 non ti

I would have bought a 3080 in October if I could have, so whether I want to or not, I've been waiting for a while now and it looks like I will continue to do so.
This whole situation sucks so much. I paid a little bit premium (like ~180 EUR more or something like that), but it was so worth it. I check online PC stores here in The Netherlands regularly and there's no hope of stock in sight.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This whole situation sucks so much. I paid a little bit premium (like ~180 EUR more or something like that), but it was so worth it. I check online PC stores here in The Netherlands regularly and there's no hope of stock in sight.

Yea I am thinking of buying a scalped unit if I could get one at a reasonable price, which I don't know what that would be. It is ridiculous but I want to play CP2077 the way it is meant to be played and the 1080TI I currently have is not a 4K card so it struggles in comfy couch gaming.

Rikkori

Not a bad launch tbh, still overpriced by about 100 euros but could've easily bought one. Went out of stock fast still, but didn't need a bot at least. Then again, at that price it's basically just a slight step up from the 2070 Super that occupied the price bracket for the past year, so it makes sense.

Last edited:

dave_d

I wonder if I would been able to buy one at newegg if their site was a little different. I saw it and put it in my cart. Went through the check out process. Oh could you put in you CVV code? Oh wait a sec, you need to put in your credit card number again. (Why the hell do I have all this stuff saved on your site if I have to retype it in anyway?) Ok, now can I buy it? Oops, we just sold out.:messenger_pensive:

Best buy hasn't released their 3060 stock yet. And it's been two weeks and they haven't released a single 6000 series radeon card for sale yet.

What the fuck are they doing?

dave_d

Oh wow, my local microcenter went from having 25+ to soldout in a few minutes. (At least according to their web site) I guess you could get one if you went and waited for them to open up.(Cambridge is still a dump so I wasn't going to bother.)

Last edited:

dave_d

Wow, it looks like the bots are even hitting bestbuy where you have to pick it up locally. Oh no, I think I know what they're doing. They've gone one step further. They're using bots to make the purchase and then send over a self driving tesla to go pick it up. (I'm taking a guess in less than 5 years this will actually happen.)

These launches are a joke. Nothing more than an evil tease and we'd be better off if they didn't exist. I tried to help a friends (who recently passed away) son get a 3060ti today. He wants to build his first gaming PC. Its his combined bday, xmas, present and he has also been saving up. He budgeted $399 for a graphics card. It sadly just wasn't in the cards for him. FCK Scalpers, Bots, Ebay, and their whole crew!

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
There's at least one game that overfills the RTX 3070 8GB VRAM already. If you upgrade every two years or so, it's not going to be an issue. If you upgrade every 4 years or longer, 10GB is definitely a valid concern, especially if you want to play at 4K.

And that is without taking RT into account, which is more taxing on VRAM than rasterization. Obviously if you use DLSS it will go down.

I'm curious to see how people will peep when the 20GB 3080(Ti) drops. I bet suddenly the amount of VRAM will become very important.

Just checked and have to correct myself. Maxed 4k it really needs above 8gb. It's not much resolution dependent though, as it didn't have much impact on the VRAM usage.

Now I want to find a game that surpasses my 10gb and see what happens! Just out of curiosity.

Wow, it looks like the bots are even hitting bestbuy where you have to pick it up locally. Oh no, I think I know what they're doing. They've gone one step further. They're using bots to make the purchase and then send over a self driving tesla to go pick it up. (I'm taking a guess in less than 5 years this will actually happen.)

Best buy released their amd radeon stock like two minutes after releasing the 3060 stock.....so I missed getting the card I wanted while I was failing to get the card I didn't really want 🤦

I had been watching the Radeon page for two weeks...

nemiroff

Gold Member
These launches are a joke. Nothing more than an evil tease and we'd be better off if they didn't exist. I tried to help a friends (who recently passed away) son get a 3060ti today. He wants to build his first gaming PC. Its his combined bday, xmas, present and he has also been saving up. He budgeted $399 for a graphics card. It sadly just wasn't in the cards for him. FCK Scalpers, Bots, Ebay, and their whole crew!

Yeah, these launches is a joke because of Covid-19 (scalping doesn't help either..). Nvidia and AMD also got fucked like the rest of us, there's no way they could've planned for this scenario. It's not just graphics cards, it's all types of electronics, including like we know XSX and PS5 consoles. Last week I got a message from my company (about 4000 employees) that they have a huge problem getting new computers (from their supplier) to our employees because Covid is creating component shortages at factories in Asia. There's frustration all over. I pre-ordered two 3080s quite early, at two stores (to be safe), but I still have to wait until January it looks like.

Last edited:

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's the point of scalping a 3060Ti? That low price point has no profit margin. If 3060Ti owners wanted to spend $800, they'd get a 3080.

dave_d

What's the point of scalping a 3060Ti? That low price point has no profit margin. If 3060Ti owners wanted to spend $800, they'd get a 3080.
My guess is that's probably correct and the market for the 3060 is not willing to pay scalping prices. I guess we'll see if the scalpers are being realistic to try to get $700 for one though. Then again with free returns on a lot of this stuff there's very little risk to taking a shot.(If they're right they make money and if they don't they return it and are out a little bit of time.)

Ascend

Just checked and have to correct myself. Maxed 4k it really needs above 8gb. It's not much resolution dependent though, as it didn't have much impact on the VRAM usage.

Now I want to find a game that surpasses my 10gb and see what happens! Just out of curiosity.
I don't think there are any yet. But it doesn't look too far away. Well see.

Iorv3th

Yeah, these launches is a joke because of Covid-19 (scalping doesn't help either..). Nvidia and AMD also got fucked like the rest of us, there's no way they could've planned for this scenario. It's not just graphics cards, it's all types of electronics, including like we know XSX and PS5 consoles. Last week I got a message from my company (about 4000 employees) that they have a huge problem getting new computers (from their supplier) to our employees because Covid is creating component shortages at factories in Asia. There's frustration all over. I pre-ordered two 3080s quite early, at two stores (to be safe), but I still have to wait until January it looks like.

Yeah a lot of it is also because schools and stuff are going virtual. I know the school I worked for had to order new chromebooks and had some trouble getting them because other schools are all doing the same thing.

dave_d

Has the rtx 3080 stock situation improved at all? I haven't looked in a few weeks. Still getting bought up by bots?
Not really no. At this point the only video card you'll be able to get at launch will be intel and that will be because tech tubers will go out of their way to not hype them.

regawdless

Banned
Mhm raytracing implementation on existing games seems to be not that easy.

Doom Eternal - raytracing was promised to be implemented after launch, didn't happen.

Mortal Shell - was announced for November, didn't happen and no word on it.

I played Doom Eternal a bit yesterday and while running great, it was jarring after finishing Quake 2 RTX. It looks flat, no reflections on the weapons is off putting, lighting seems all wrong etc.
Fuck, I'm spoiled.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Guys is an average clock speed of 2GHz fine for 3080?

In my quest to lower Temps of my 3080 (they were hitting 85C), I discovered undervolting. I undervolted it to .950, but realized then main culprits of high temps were the fan profile and cas airflow. Once I opened my case and increased fan speed to be 90% when Temps hit 65, I am constantly at 64 degrees while undervolting. I have ordered more exhaust fans for the case, but until then I will keep it open.

Nevertheless, the main point is that by undervolting and then increasing power limit (I know it probably shouldn't matter but anyway), and by being aggressive with max core clocks, I was able to get to average 2000MHz boost clocks while playing. The Temps stay at 64-65 while power draw is same as it was at default- close to 340W. Performance has indeed increased by around 5% while Temps have gone down, but my main question is- is it safe to run this card ar 2GHz as long as power and temp are fine?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

In my quest to lower Temps of my 3080 (they were hitting 85C), I discovered undervolting. I undervolted it to .950, but realized then main culprits of high temps were the fan profile and cas airflow. Once I opened my case and increased fan speed to be 90% when Temps hit 65, I am constantly at 64 degrees while undervolting. I have ordered more exhaust fans for the case, but until then I will keep it open.

Nevertheless, the main point is that by undervolting and then increasing power limit (I know it probably shouldn't matter but anyway), and by being aggressive with max core clocks, I was able to get to average 2000MHz boost clocks while playing. The Temps stay at 64-65 while power draw is same as it was at default- close to 340W. Performance has indeed increased by around 5% while Temps have gone down, but my main question is- is it safe to run this card ar 2GHz as long as power and temp are fine?
2ghz is nice. my fe goes around 1900 and hits 75c

regawdless

Banned

2ghz is good, no need to worry. I've OC'd my card and am at 2075mhz, and it makes barely any difference.

kiphalfton

Has the rtx 3080 stock situation improved at all? I haven't looked in a few weeks. Still getting bought up by bots?

If anything it's going to continue to be bad due to how close to Christmas it is. Even used stuff is selling high on FB marketplace/etc. (consoles, Pascal/Turing graphics cards, etc.).

JRW

3060Ti is not a 1080p card. Its a 1440p card. And maybe even 4K(with DLSS). Many games avg over 60fps at 4K. 1080p sweet spot is rumoured to launch in January which will be the 3060 non ti

3060 Ti could still be considered a 1080P card for those of us running 144Hz, I entered EVGA's queue system for a 3060 Ti FTW3 model but guessing it'll be 2021 sometime before Its actually my turn.

Mithos

My guess is that's probably correct and the market for the 3060 is not willing to pay scalping prices. I guess we'll see if the scalpers are being realistic to try to get $700 for one though. Then again with free returns on a lot of this stuff there's very little risk to taking a shot.(If they're right they make money and if they don't they return it and are out a little bit of time.)

No need to scalp 3060Ti's here.... store prices are equivalent to ~us$600-700 (incl vat/tax)

dave_d

3060 Ti could still be considered a 1080P card for those of us running 144Hz, I entered EVGA's queue system for a 3060 Ti FTW3 model but guessing it'll be 2021 sometime before Its actually my turn.
There's a reddit page to try to figure out your approximate place in the queue. Admittedly it's a little off and shows a ton of people having been skipped because one person put in the wrong info for both cards. Anyway here's a link

Reactions: JRW

JRW

There's a reddit page to try to figure out your approximate place in the queue. Admittedly it's a little off and shows a ton of people having been skipped because one person put in the wrong info for both cards. Anyway here's a link

That's awesome thanks for the link!

edit: forgot to mention I entered evga's 3070's queue on launch in October and still no email for that one, bought my current 2070 (EVGA XC Black / Non super) a couple weeks after the initial RTX 20 series aunch without any issue.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
2ghz is nice. my fe goes around 1900 and hits 75c

2ghz is good, no need to worry. I've OC'd my card and am at 2075mhz, and it makes barely any difference.

Thanks. Good to know. It doesnt make much difference though, thats true. As I said, I only see a 4-5% uplift in RDR2 benchmark at 4K. I am still keeping because its free- better temps and same power draw. Glad that I discovered undervolting.

Celcius

°Temp. member
hmm I signed up for the evga queue on 10/10 and still haven't heard anything. I'm not getting a card this year am I? :(

dave_d

hmm I signed up for the evga queue on 10/10 and still haven't heard anything. I'm not getting a card this year am I? :(
Sign up for the reddit queue tracker and you can get an idea where you are in the list. (Admittedly some of the queues have shown little to no movement unfortunately.) I'm just hoping that a few of the 3060 scalpers at bestbuy get cold feet and return the card by the holiday return date of Jan 16.

cryogenic7

Nah, it's a 1080 card. Even the 3080 is limited to 1440p on many new games to consistently hit 60+ fps at ultra.

Cacadookie

Neo Member
I waited in line from 5:30am till 9am at the Chicago Microcenter. Managed to snag a RTX 3080 FTW3. If you live in the states, You are better off waiting in line on shipment dates. If you get there 3 hrs before opening. You can increase your chances of getting a 3080.

Anki

Banned
MANLI submits GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, RTX 3070 Ti, RTX 3060 and RTX 3050 to EEC

B-b-but the scalpers claim they're modern-day Robin Hoods who are sticking it to the wealthy and only trying to put food on the table for their families.

Scalpers can go DIAF, imo.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

I wouldn't say that the RTX 30 Series launch has been a joke. Cards have become reasonably obtainable if you live near a brick-and-mortar store and visit it on the days when it receives shipments; that's how I got my RTX 3080 (which I've returned due to being able to get RTX 3090s).

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

For the Founder's Editions perhaps but I've been able to get multiple AIB 3090s thus far and I seen them in stock for a last couple of weeks in Europe.

I wouldn't say that the RTX 30 Series launch has been a joke. Cards have become reasonably obtainable if you live near a brick-and-mortar store and visit it on the days when it receives shipments; that's how I got my RTX 3080 (which I've returned due to be able to get RTX 3090s).
Shut the hell up Quit your bullshit. The launch has been a joke.

Last edited:
3060 ti had pretty good launch - you could buy it for longer than 5 minutes and they still get small drops regularly.
Worst situation is 3080 as that's the best card from the lineup and a lot of people want it.

Top Bottom