• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Haha, the FE actually looks good this gen, AIB gonna get a bushwhacking if they think they can price gouge for their generic looking custom coolers this time around.

For TVs you really only have to care about VRR once you get a VRR capable GPU. VRR works in just the same way as Freesync/Gsync more or less. It's still adaptive sync technology like the others. The main thing about it is is that's it's vendor agnostic and part of the HDMI 2.1 spec. So if you have a VRR supporting GPU & a TV with VRR, then you can just run the cable from your GPU's HDMI 2.1 output to the TV's HDMI 2.1 input and then go to your GPU's control panel in Windows and enable either Freesync or Gsync, depending on the GPU. Essentially that enables VRR, they just still put it as Freesync/Gsync because it's essentially the same.
Thanks mate

DeaDPo0L84

GHG

Gold Member
Got an alert just now. Seems newegg has the ASUS GPU listed.

Showing "out of stock" for me along with no price.

I take it that's the same for everyone else or is it just due to my location?

00_Zer0

Is there a post or a website that has gone to the trouble of listing specs of every launch day card? Things like the length of every card, how many slots they take up, how many 8 pin connectors they require, or how many watts of power they use, and the recommended PSU for each card?

So far the only card I know that fits in my rig is the 3080 FE and I need a solid second choice for a back up plan in case I'm one of the unlucky ones that can't snag an FE on launch day.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I initially wanted the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Edition, because it has RGB lighting and because my 980Ti was an EVGA product and my 1080Ti is an EVGA product. However, I now want the Asus ROG Strix Edition, because it has RGB lighting but is otherwise color neutral; the FTW3 Edition has a red accent along the side of its shroud that is atop its GPU and on one of the narrow ends of its shroud and doesn't look as cool as the ROG Strix. Also, my motherboard is by Asus, so I'd have a bit of brand consistency in my build, LOL.

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_600.png

GHG

Gold Member
For me it's showing as Pre-Release with a Hazard sign. Auto Notify button on the right.

I've only got an option to add it to my wish list unfortunately.

Hopefully they make a proportion of the new cards available for international shipping in the first couple of weeks.

Ascend

You started out very respectable. I thought to myself, here is a guy that got caught with his pants down and will actually admit he underestimated the silicon in the 3000-series cards despite him routing for AMD. But nope, he moved the goal post...
By the way... I wanted to add something.
All my performance calculations in that thread are based on the performance numbers nVidia has given us.
There are two possibilities. Either a, their benchmarks are near the advertised 1.7GHz boost, or b, they are at whatever maximum boost the cards can reach, say, 2.1GHz.

Case a would be a best case scenario, because, that means we could see even higher performance than what they have advertised with. I seriously doubt this is the case.
Case b would be the 'worst' case scenario, in the sense that their advertising of the performance at 1.7GHz is actually at say 2.1 GHz boost. I think this is the most reasonable assumption, considering nVidia's boost clocks can easily surpass their specifications. If this is the case, my statement of Ampere not being able to reach much higher than 1.7 GHz would fall flat on its face, BUT, all the performance calculations I did in that thread would be based on the performance at 2.1GHz, meaning, not much would change anyway.

I initially wanted the EVGA 3090 FTW3 Edition, because it has RGB lighting and because my 980Ti was an EVGA product and my 1080Ti is an EVGA product. However, I now want the Asus ROG Strix Edition, because it has RGB lighting but is otherwise color neutral; the FTW3 Edition has a red accent along the side of its shroud that is atop its GPU and on one of the narrow ends of its shroud and doesn't look as cool as the ROG Strix. Also, my motherboard is by Asus, so I'd have a bit of brand consistency in my build, LOL.

P_setting_fff_1_90_end_600.png
AIB cooling is also triple slots for the RTX 3090? Man this thing is a monster.
Wouldn't it actually be an idea to get the RTX 3080 and see if you can unlock it to be closer to an RTX 3090? It is the same GPU after all. And considering it's pretty much half the price... Unless you want all that RAM of course... 10GB is on the low side.

GHG

Gold Member
Have there been any thermal tests with the new nvidia cooler and how it effects air coolers and cpu temps?

Nothing trustworthy yet, we need to wait.

BTW, that cooler is only going to be on the FE cards, if you go with a 3rd party manufacturer then you'll get a cooler that is more in line with what we are used to.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
By the way... I wanted to add something.
All my performance calculations in that thread are based on the performance numbers nVidia has given us.
There are two possibilities. Either a, their benchmarks are near the advertised 1.7GHz boost, or b, they are at whatever maximum boost the cards can reach, say, 2.1GHz.

Case a would be a best case scenario, because, that means we could see even higher performance than what they have advertised with. I seriously doubt this is the case.
Case b would be the 'worst' case scenario, in the sense that their advertising of the performance at 1.7GHz is actually at say 2.1 GHz boost. I think this is the most reasonable assumption, considering nVidia's boost clocks can easily surpass their specifications. If this is the case, my statement of Ampere not being able to reach much higher than 1.7 GHz would fall flat on its face, BUT, all the performance calculations I did in that thread would be based on the performance at 2.1GHz, meaning, not much would change anyway.

AIB cooling is also triple slots for the RTX 3090? Man this thing is a monster.
Wouldn't it actually be an idea to get the RTX 3080 and see if you can unlock it to be closer to an RTX 3090? It is the same GPU after all. And considering it's pretty much half the price... Unless you want all that RAM of course... 10GB is on the low side.

I want that additional VRAM so that I don't have to worry about memory bottlenecks in future games at 4K and because I like to edit videos at 4K (which I need to make more time for). I also want the full 15% to 20% of additional power without having to screw with clocks and voltages to attain stability.

The card is indeed expensive, but I have a job and I can work overtime every week; as long as I don't have to break the bank (pull from my savings), then it's not an issue. This card is the one that I want, so it's the one that I intend to get.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Had a 1080 Asus Strix, a 1080ti Strix and a 2080ti Strix.

0 issues with the 3 of them and performance and cooling is top notch imo. Had 2 EVGA's in the past and had to rma them both at some point.

I'm absolutely going for the Strix again ...3090 that is :messenger_smirking:
Interesting. I had an EVGA 980Ti FTW for a year and then upgraded to an EVGA 1080Ti SC2, which I've had since. Neither has given me a problem. However, I want to get the Asus 3090 Strix because I like its design.

Reactions: GHG

Chiggs

Gold Member
I've decided to sit this out until early next year. My 2080 TI handles everything perfectly fine, and I'm not happy with the 10GB on the 3080 or the 3090 partner designs. Just pure ass, for the most part.

I also don't want to deal with the online madness, quite frankly.

At the rate these preorders are being snagged I'm preparing to not have a GPU until next year.

Right. And just think if you get a defective card...replacements won't be so quick.

Last edited:

McHuj

More cards are showing up (and disappearing occasionally) on newegg: EVGA and MSI now.

Looks like the 3080 FTW Ultra from EVGA will get a boost clock of 1800MHz, the regular FTW 1755 Mhz

GHG

Gold Member
More cards are showing up (and disappearing occasionally) on newegg: EVGA and MSI now.

Looks like the 3080 FTW Ultra from EVGA will get a boost clock of 1800MHz, the regular FTW 1755 Mhz

Thanks, keep 'em coming.

On another note...

EVGA, we need to talk about the red on the backplate... The rainbow evga logo... :

14-487-518-V06.jpg

G5xr.gif

GHG

Gold Member
Don't let me talk you out of it, but I like to buy things when there are plenty of them in stock.

Bruh, I just tested positive for covid, I might be stuck indoors for a long time.

If I'm still positive and I see stock I'm buying, nobody can talk me out of it.

waylo

Banned
The EVGA cards look horrendous. Red trim is a dumb choice, and the rainbow logo is something else. The two combined makes me want to vomit.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm about to drive home, usually takes 30 minutes. I swear if I get home and the evga went up for preorder and I missed it I'm gonna be pissed.

DeaDPo0L84

Bruh, I just tested positive for covid, I might be stuck indoors for a long time.

Get to feeling better soon! Hope you're able to snag whichever card you want.

Chiggs

Gold Member

Dude, sorry to hear that. :(

Shit, I might just buy one to sell it to you in case you can't get your hands on one.

TaySan

Banned
Pre ordered a 3090 and can rest a bit easy. lol

I still want an EVGA or MSI card, but at least i will have a backup order.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Here's my Horizon and Shadow of The Tomb Raider in 4K benchmark results in comparison to 3080. I've 8700K OC to 4.8 GHz on all cores, 1080Ti (+50 Core / +200 Memory), 3600 MHz CL17 RAM.

3080 is roughly 50% faster (in Shadow of the Tomb Raider without DLSS) than 1080Ti in these games and in 4K.

Good to see as a 1080ti owner myself

3080 is actually around 90% better at 4K in these games
And up to 140% better with DLSS in TR. :lollipop_thescream:

I do hope the VRAM usage in HZD is just some stupid memory leak/caching whatever and not really eating up >9.5GB at 4K!

GHG

Gold Member
Get to feeling better soon! Hope you're able to snag whichever card you want.

Dude, sorry to hear that. :(

Shit, I might just buy one to sell it to you in case you can't get your hands on one.

Thanks guys, it's nothing too bad so far (and hopefully it doesn't get any worse), just a slight fever at the moment and strangely enough food is mostly going straight through me. Only reason I even got tested is because my wife has been quite ill for the last week or so then suddenly couldn't taste or smell anything. Got her tested and she has it so they obviously needed to test me as well. It's fucking weird because we have completely different symptoms. Just making sure she's ok and doesn't get worse. Worst thing about it is that neither of us can leave the home until we both test negative, they are quite strict about that here. Also a bit pissed off because we've been really careful and always worn masks everywhere but what can you do 🤷🏾‍♂️

Chiggs Chiggs don't be silly, I've got this man, at least it's now almost guaranteed I'll be at home when these go on sale :messenger_grinning_sweat:

bargeparty

Good to see as a 1080ti owner myself

3080 is actually around 90% better at 4K in these games
And up to 140% better with DLSS in TR. :lollipop_thescream:

I do hope the VRAM usage in HZD is just some stupid memory leak/caching whatever and not really eating up >9.5GB at 4K!

I don't think you're reading that RAM correctly.

longdi

Banned
I don't think you're reading that RAM correctly.

The chinese video mention that HZD is showing >9GB of VRAM, so i went with that.
The rest of titles tested were around 6.5-7.5GB at a glance.

I do feel 10GB is on the edge sadly. G6X is probably too hot and expensive at launch :messenger_loudly_crying:

Captn

Interesting. I had an EVGA 980Ti FTW for a year and then upgraded to an EVGA 1080Ti SC2, which I've had since. Neither has given me a problem. However, I want to get the Asus 3090 Strix because I like its design.

You'll also love the fact that it has 3 fans and if I base myself on my 2080ti..temps at full load don't go over 60-65 degrees with a 60% fan speeds! Core clock +225 and memory +800

bargeparty

The chinese video mention that HZD is showing >9GB of VRAM, so i went with that.
The rest of titles tested were around 6.5-7.5GB at a glance.

I do feel 10GB is on the edge sadly. G6X is probably too hot and expensive at launch :messenger_loudly_crying:

In the Horizon screens you have a few numbers to look at. There's VRAM size, then MEM and RAM.

I believe VRAM size is how much memory the gpu has, RAM is allocated system memory and MEM is the amount of video RAM in use. Which in the screenshot is like 4GB.

No problems here i can see.

DeaDPo0L84

Pretty much. Keep your but glued to your computer all day every day up until launch. Got lucky and snagged a 3090, but i still want an EVGA or MSI card. :( The hunt continues.

Work might have something to say about that. But I'm not restricted from having my phone on me so I'll be refreshing like crazy. I'd be fine with the Asus strix,evga ftw3, or the MSI trio.

At this point I simply want one. Of course watch us worry this while time and come launch day there's plenty of stock.

longdi

Banned
In the Horizon screens you have a few numbers to look at. There's VRAM size, then MEM and RAM.

I believe VRAM size is how much memory the gpu has, RAM is allocated system memory and MEM is the amount of video RAM in use. Which in the screenshot is like 4GB.

No problems here i can see.

The 4GB you see is at the benchmark menu.

In the video, they show or spoken that in game run, the readings were close to 9.5GB :lollipop_thescream:

TaySan

Banned
Yeah, I'm not so sure you'd be getting that on or around the 24th, based on the warning you get when you attempt to check out.

If you've done business with them before, ignore me.
Yeah im not sure either i just ordered as soon as i found this. Lol But I'm still going to look for another order if i can get my hands on one.
1. I've never heard of this vendor. Are they reputable and reliable?
2. I've read that PNY is one of the lower-tiered brands.
3. I want the Asus ROG Strix 3090.
Yeah this is my first order from them i just ordered as soon as it popped up. PNY is fine, but they are a smaller brand than EVGA,MSI or Asus. They are American based too.

Top Bottom