• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Ascend

You started out very respectable. I thought to myself, here is a guy that got caught with his pants down and will actually admit he underestimated the silicon in the 3000-series cards despite him routing for AMD. But nope, he moved the goal post...
I will admit it when those cards are actually released and we see benchmarks with the performance having a clear advantage over the 1.7GHz cards, and with the boost actually reaching those clocks. Until then, I have definitely not been 'caught with my pants down'. Wouldn't be the first time that a certain boost is advertised but is not sustainable.

I am not unreasonable, but I am very critical, and I maintain my right to reserve judgment until the actual numbers are available. I still believe they will not clock much higher than 1.7GHz. I'll gladly be proven wrong once the cards are released. And I should probably clarify that I mean sustained clocks, not boosting for one or two seconds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any tips for getting in a 3080 order on day 1? Do we know what time we can start placing orders?

longdi

Banned
I don't really see where the 3080Ti would slip in. Yeah it will have more vram but the gap between the 3080 and the 3090 doesn't seem big enough to justify another tier. Between 3070 and 80 we have a gap of around 3000 cuda cores and gddr6x. The 80 and 90 don't even have 2000. A 3080Ti with ~9500 cuda cores won't be really much faster then the 3080. If it will cost only 799€ it could be fine but I bet it's 899€ and that's just not a good buy. The 3080 almost seems too good :/

3080Ti with 12GB feels more comforting than 10GB over the next 3 years.

I think it will also get more texturing units.

Overall a 15-20% uplift over 3080 after factoring VRAM, i bet for $999-1099.

Last edited:

Droxcy

I'll wait a year or two and build another system with my 2080ti and a i9100k & then upgrading myself to a 3080 or 3090.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The official launch date of the RTX 3090 is September 24th, and all variants of it are expected to sell out within minutes once they become available to order online. So, I'd like to know that if I fail to order one online, whether or not there will still be units available for purchase in person at my local Microcenter.

In other words, does Microcenter allocate a percentage of its stock exclusively for in-store purchases that aren't therefore effected by online orders (regardless of whether or not the online orders are for shipping or in-store pickup)? If so, how many hours before opening should I arrive to wait outside for the store to open up? Are there typically long lines outside of Microsoft locations on the days that new graphics cards are released?

Historically speaking, which after market cards are the best? There are so many to choose from, I feel kind of lost. Thanks!
This changes every gen. I´d honestly just go on a review by review basis and there`ll be summed up charts for performance, temperature and noise across all models in no time. Give it a few weeks.
I´ve personally not had the same brand 2 gens in a row for over a decade now.

Last edited:

Nydus

3080Ti with 12GB feels more comforting than 10GB over the next 3 years.

I think it will also get more texturing units.

Overall a 15-20% uplift over 3080 after factoring VRAM, i bet for $999-1099.
With a 20% uplift it will be almost as fast as a 3090 and 12 GB are a joke for a thousand €. I'm intrigued what they try with the Ti. Maybe if the 3090 sells good enough and AMD has nothing at 3080 level or above, Nvidia will never release a 3080Ti. :messenger_fearful:

DeaDPo0L84

I've decided if the Asus 3080 cards go up for preorder for some reason before the 17th I'll just grab that so I don't have to sweat for a fe card.

Captn

Historically speaking, which after market cards are the best? There are so many to choose from, I feel kind of lost. Thanks!

Had a 1080 Asus Strix, a 1080ti Strix and a 2080ti Strix.

0 issues with the 3 of them and performance and cooling is top notch imo. Had 2 EVGA's in the past and had to rma them both at some point.

I'm absolutely going for the Strix again ...3090 that is :messenger_smirking:

For stuff like this i`d never recommend to be an early adopter. In the end you just pay for your impatience.
The poor souls that pre-orderd the last few FE-cards with their atrocious noisy cooling systems....
The 2080Ti I use now is from my old pre-built system. It's probably the cheapest 2080Ti to ever exist. But that's the price you pay for being lazy and uninformed. I do not believe any other card can be louder than that piece of shit. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

longdi

Banned
With a 20% uplift it will be almost as fast as a 3090 and 12 GB are a joke for a thousand €. I'm intrigued what they try with the Ti. Maybe if the 3090 sells good enough and AMD has nothing at 3080 level or above, Nvidia will never release a 3080Ti. :messenger_fearful:

I think they did the same for 1080ti vs Titan :messenger_bicep:

Imo the VRAM is because G6X is kinda limited and expensive.

I agree, a 3080Ti seems abit crowded out for ampere.

I hope rDNA2 with 16GB is close to 3080!

It may force nvidia to go double the ram for the Super variant!

So its either a 3080Ti with 12GB ram at $999, refresh 9 month laters if things are too smooth. 3080 stays at 10GB

Or a quicker 3080S with 20GB ram if Amd competes. 3080Ti with 24GB ram later and more expensive $1200.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Question for everybody.

So in looking at new TVs, it seems there is 3 different types of VRR: Gsync, Freesync, and VRR over HDMI. Obviously the 3080 will get Gsync support (and I think that means freesync support basically right?), but how does VRR over HDMI work for PC?

My current tv is supposed to get an update for VRR at some point, and was wondering if I could make use of it on my PC. My monitor supports freesync, but I run a hdmi cable to my TV as well for certain games.
For TVs you really only have to care about VRR once you get a VRR capable GPU. VRR works in just the same way as Freesync/Gsync more or less. It's still adaptive sync technology like the others. The main thing about it is is that's it's vendor agnostic and part of the HDMI 2.1 spec. So if you have a VRR supporting GPU & a TV with VRR, then you can just run the cable from your GPU's HDMI 2.1 output to the TV's HDMI 2.1 input and then go to your GPU's control panel in Windows and enable either Freesync or Gsync, depending on the GPU. Essentially that enables VRR, they just still put it as Freesync/Gsync because it's essentially the same.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I think they did the same for 1080ti vs Titan :messenger_bicep:

Imo the VRAM is because G6X is kinda limited and expensive.

I agree, a 3080Ti seems abit crowded out for ampere.

I hope rDNA2 with 16GB is close to 3080!

It may force nvidia to go double the ram for the Super variant!

So its either a 3080Ti with 12GB ram at $999, refresh 9 month laters if things are too smooth. 3080 stays at 10GB

Or a quicker 3080S with 20GB ram if Amd competes. 3080Ti with 24GB ram later and more expensive $1200.

Don't you think that a 3080Ti would have an amount of VRAM that's evenly between that of the 3080 and that of the 3090? Hence, 16GB of GDDR6x?

longdi

Banned
Don't you think that a 3080Ti would have an amount of VRAM that's evenly between that of the 3080 and that of the 3090? Hence, 16GB of GDDR6x?

I think there is limitation in the bus width, so it is either 12/24GB or 10/20GB or 11/22GB if they go with 2080Ti 352bit bus.
Unlikely to be 16GB that means 256bit bus like 3070

Last edited:

llien

The $1,499 "starting price" of the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 is beginning to look a lot less suggestive, as pricing of custom-design RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 graphics cards surfaced on German e-tailer Caseking.de. Prices of some of the higher trim custom RTX 3090 cards can be as high as 1,719€, including taxes, which converts to a little over $2,024 (USD, without taxes), making pre-announcement speculation of custom RTX 3090 being effectively "$2,000 cards" a lot more credible.

That said, the cheapest custom RTX 3090 we could spot in this selection goes for about 1,576€ including taxes ($1,855). Much like its MSRP, the RTX 3090 is on average 50% pricier than the RTX 2080 Ti. Prices of custom-design RTX 3080, on the other hand, are closer to what custom-design RTX 2080 went for at launch. The cheapest custom-design RTX 3080 can be had for around 756€ including taxes ($890), and the pricier ones going for 804€ including taxes ($950). It's important to note here, that prices on US retailers are quoted without taxes, whereas the EU enforces prices to be quoted inclusive of taxes.

TPU

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The $1,499 "starting price" of the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 is beginning to look a lot less suggestive, as pricing of custom-design RTX 3090 and RTX 3080 graphics cards surfaced on German e-tailer Caseking.de. Prices of some of the higher trim custom RTX 3090 cards can be as high as 1,719€, including taxes, which converts to a little over $2,024 (USD, without taxes), making pre-announcement speculation of custom RTX 3090 being effectively "$2,000 cards" a lot more credible.

That said, the cheapest custom RTX 3090 we could spot in this selection goes for about 1,576€ including taxes ($1,855). Much like its MSRP, the RTX 3090 is on average 50% pricier than the RTX 2080 Ti. Prices of custom-design RTX 3080, on the other hand, are closer to what custom-design RTX 2080 went for at launch. The cheapest custom-design RTX 3080 can be had for around 756€ including taxes ($890), and the pricier ones going for 804€ including taxes ($950). It's important to note here, that prices on US retailers are quoted without taxes, whereas the EU enforces prices to be quoted inclusive of taxes.

TPU
So, how much will an EVGA 3090 FTW3 or XC3 be?

amigastar

My GTX970 died and i was forced to buy a GTX1660 which is unfortunate because graphics cards prices will soon drop when the new generation comes around. Did i make a mistake?

Compsiox

Banned
My GTX970 died and i was forced to buy a GTX1660 which is unfortunate because graphics cards prices will soon drop when the new generation comes around. Did i make a mistake?
I doubt the price on your card will drop too much since it's already on the lower end of prices. You could probably make up a good amount of the money if you choose to sell it.

Last edited:

llien

UKQ3Lyd6UJrItCvY.jpg

TPU
When it comes to tech prices. Simply take US price in $ and replace it with € or £ depending whether you're from EU or UK. It's been like that for the last 5+ years.

When it comes to tech prices. Simply take US price in $ and replace it with € or £ depending whether you're from EU or UK. It's been like that for the last 5+ years.

I wish, but US prices usually don't include VAT, which is 21% in Europe. So it's likely to be 699$ to 699€ + 21%: around 850€, so I was fully expecting it to be around 1000$

Some models being around 750€ is a nice surprise.

No, just listed on caseking.de. No idea what is going on in US.

Varies from country to a country. 19% normally in DE, 16% at the moment.

You're right, I thought it was a flat rate but it's actually an average. It's 23% in Ireland, for example.

Point stands though. If the Overclockers prices don't raise more I'll likely buy it there.

Got my preorder in for the Gigabyte 3080 Eagle OC on Amazon.de before they removed the possibility to preorder. So far the order is still showing up in my history with ETA 18/19th.

I am building a ne PC from scratch and due to the length of the card will need a bigger case than originally planned. Originally wanted to go whith something like the NZXT 510i but haven't really found a case that looks good and can easily fit an oversized card also...

Last edited:
Last edited:

Had a 1080 Asus Strix, a 1080ti Strix and a 2080ti Strix.

0 issues with the 3 of them and performance and cooling is top notch imo. Had 2 EVGA's in the past and had to rma them both at some point.

I'm absolutely going for the Strix again ...3090 that is :messenger_smirking:

Yup. Sounds exactly like what I’ve done in the past. I’ve been strix for the past few gens. Had way too many evga issues to try them again.

Iamborghini

I wish, but US prices usually don't include VAT, which is 21% in Europe. So it's likely to be 699$ to 699€ + 21%: around 850€, so I was fully expecting it to be around 1000$

Some models being around 750€ is a nice surprise.

699$ is 591€ right now, so with EU taxes its around 699€ that's why we have 699$=699€

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I just called my local Microcenter and a customer service representative told me that the RTX 3000 Series cards won't be available online for pre-order but that customers will have to buy them in person. He also said that a lot of people have been calling about the cards.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I just called my local Microcenter and a customer service representative told me that the RTX 3000 Series cards won't be available online for pre-order but that customers will have buy them in person. He also said that a lot of people have been calling about the cards.
Good luck to you and all of us. I'm going to try online at amazon.

EU prices are very reasonable for most countries compared to other releases. In the past we simply got dollar to euro conversion and 20% or more tax slapped on top of that.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Good luck to you and all of us. I'm going to try online at amazon.
I'm going to request that I be excused from work on the release date of the RTX 3090, since I work from 12AM to 8AM and therefore wouldn't be able to arrive at Microcenter until about 9:15AM (45 minutes before it opens). I think that there'd be a long line by then; so, I want to be able to get there by 6AM. I'd work the 4PM-12AM shift to make up for the excused absence.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Chinese breaking NDA :messenger_bicep:

Sounds like around 30% better than 2080Ti at 4K

What's worrying is current gen games at 4K is using about 6-7GB of VRAM.

HZD being worst culprit, using up almost all the 10GB... :messenger_pensive:
3080:
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3080-3DMark-Performance-Scores.jpg

Port Royale is 3DMark's RT test. 2080 gets 6222, 2080ti gets 7969, my 2060 Super scores 5333 with OC. Here 3080 scores 11,455.

TSE(4K/DX12 test) 3080 was just under 9K in the leaked Baidu forum chart, so it's looks as though that chart was accurate. In TSE they had 3070 around 7300, and the 2080ti at about 6400. Stock 3070 is faster than Overclock3d's 2080ti OC score of 7059. For Port Royale RT, 3070 should be around 9000-9500 which is a nice step up from 2080ti at 7969.

So it seems that 3DMark would point to Nvidia's claim of 3070 being faster than 2080ti as being true. AMD needs to bring a $499 slightly-better-than-2080ti GPU to the table or it will really struggle.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Here's my Horizon and Shadow of The Tomb Raider in 4K benchmark results in comparison to 3080. I've 8700K OC to 4.8 GHz on all cores, 1080Ti (+50 Core / +200 Memory), 3600 MHz CL17 RAM.

3080 is roughly 50% faster (in Shadow of the Tomb Raider without DLSS) than 1080Ti in these games and in 4K.

Last edited:
Top Bottom