• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Here's an interesting article to which someone referred me; it indicates that an i7-4770K is only ~8% slower than an i9-10900K at 4K Ultra when paired with an RTX 3080. So, because my i7-5820K is in the same general league of performance as an i7-4770K, any bottlenecks that I experience at 4K with maximum settings are similar in scale, which isn't too bad. Having said that, if it's more of a bottleneck for Cyberpunk 2077, then I'll definitely upgrade soon.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’ve signed up for evga’s 3090 queues and I’m just going to wait my turn at this point. I’m done F5ing and hunting for a card. I’ve never seen a launch with cards this scarce before.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
True Crysis REmake. It will definitely give you a good indication of what to expect. Go with max settings at 4k and see what your FPS is.
I'll definitely look into this when I have the time; I've got to rest now for work later. Is it on Steam? I just searched for it and don't see it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef

Nice. Give the different RT benchmarks a shot when you have a chance(Boundary, Bright Memory Infinite, Port Royal, Crytek's Neon Noir, etc.). I was getting like 8fps at native 4K in Boundary on a 2060 Super.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

GTFO ZOTEC WE HAVE A NEW KING IN TOWN.

:messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire: THE DAZZLING ANGEL :messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire:

Last edited:
Here's an interesting article to which someone referred me; it indicates that an i7-4770K is only ~8% slower than an i9-10900K at 4K Ultra when paired with an RTX 3080. So, because my i7-5820K is in the same general league of performance as an i7-4770K, any bottlenecks that I experience at 4K with maximum settings are similar in scale, which isn't too bad. Having said that, if it's more of a bottleneck for Cyberpunk 2077, then I'll definitely upgrade soon.

Problem with these tests is that they benchmark the gpu mostly and call it that cpu doesnt matter. You need to find certain sequences in games that push the cpu especially. And most outlets dont do that., They use ingame benchmarks designed to stress the gpu and they make claims about cpu performance.

I can asure you you're far more bottlenecked than that article makes it out. Far more. We dont really care about the average framerate, its about the 1%, the frametimes and consistency. Thats where your cpu is strugling. You will have choppy gameplay depending of the game with that cpu even if the average frames are in the hundreds. You need a modern fast cpu to feed that card, theres no going around it, patting yourself on the back that its good enough wont cut it. Its not

VFXVeteran

Banned
BluRayHiDef BluRayHiDef

Nice. Give the different RT benchmarks a shot when you have a chance(Boundary, Bright Memory Infinite, Port Royal, Crytek's Neon Noir, etc.). I was getting like 8fps at native 4K in Boundary on a 2060 Super.

Whenever I try to download BM: Infinite, I get their store page which doesn't have the benchmark to download. Am I missing something?

RedVIper

Banned

Testing the game at 4k to figure out the cpu performance is some real brainlet moves.

regawdless

Banned
Founders edition not be sold in europe for now.

Really sucks for people who are a bit more budget constraint but want a 3080. I know some guys who want a 3080 FE because they can't put more down for a GPU, but here in Germany it's basically non existent.

WakeTheWolf

Okay I have gotten over my anger of Overclockers holding my cash for the make believe 3080 stock and I'm now considering just sticking to PC instead of buying an Series X. So I'm wondering if these specs will last me till I can actually get my hands on a 3080. Also is my CPU going to be enough for next gen games?

Ryzen 5 3600
RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Devil
MSI A320M-A PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
HyperX FURY 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
Aerocool Cylon 700w 80+ Psu
WD Green SSD 240GB 2.5 7mm SATA Gen 3
WD BLUE SSD 1TB 2.5 7mm SATA Gen 3

Senua

Okay I have gotten over my anger of Overclockers holding my cash for the make believe 3080 stock and I'm now considering just sticking to PC instead of buying an Series X. So I'm wondering if these specs will last me till I can actually get my hands on a 3080. Also is my CPU going to be enough for next gen games?

Ryzen 5 3600
RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Devil
MSI A320M-A PRO AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
HyperX FURY 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
Aerocool Cylon 700w 80+ Psu
WD Green SSD 240GB 2.5 7mm SATA Gen 3
WD BLUE SSD 1TB 2.5 7mm SATA Gen 3
I reckon the 3600 will be fine for a good while, only later on the gen when games really focus on the next gen systems there could be some issues

WakeTheWolf

I reckon the 3600 will be fine for a good while, only later on the gen when games really focus on the next gen systems there could be some issues
Was worried there slightly as I'll have to replace my motherboard if I go for a new CPU. Will likely upgrade when the 5000 series drops down in price then :messenger_beaming:

Good on you for not being a fucking twat 👍

If we had regular updates I would feel safer about this but they've not been communicating well. Lately it seems they've been taking the piss.

I don't need the money but it's mine. If I'm going to be out of 800 bucks I want something to show for it.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm in the middle of potentially doing an rma for my 3090fe or simply returning it and get a 3080fe (or ftw3 ultra if I'm lucky). I play on a 38" 3840x1600 monitor and have been getting great performance with the 3090.

With this size monitor should I expect a huge drop off if I went down to a 3080fe? I know the gap would be smaller with a ftw3 ultra but just using the fe as a good benchmark.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm waiting on either 3070 16GB or Big Navi if it has good RT. For shits and giggles, here's Bright Memory RTX/DLSS benchmark on my 2060S. I wanted to test the limits of 4K DLSS Ultra Perf mode, so I forced v-sync/30fps since I can't hit 60fps+ at high res DLSS settings, and I was getting all sorts of nasty screen tearing.

*Added Boundary 4K DLSS/UltraPerf benchmark on 2060S...

CrustyBritches CrustyBritches

Here is the video; I ran the benchmark in all four modes: Quality, Balance, Performance, and Ultra Performance. 4K resolution is still processing, so it's not available yet.

Very cool. I'll wait until the 4K is available to watch. It's ready. Watching now.

Great video! DLSS Quality and Balance look quite nice, the performance modes definitely sacrifice some image quality, but run much faster. That opening sequence is extremely performance heavy, but in native 4k or 4K DLSS/Quality it looks amazing.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm waiting on either 3070 16GB or Big Navi if it has good RT. For shits and giggles, here's Bright Memory RTX/DLSS benchmark on my 2060S. I wanted to test the limits of 4K DLSS Ultra Perf mode, so I forced v-sync/30fps since I can't hit 60fps+ at high res DLSS settings, and I was getting all sorts of nasty screen tearing.

*Added Boundary 4K DLSS/UltraPerf benchmark on 2060S...

Very cool. I'll wait until the 4K is available to watch. It's ready. Watching now.

Great video! DLSS Quality and Balance look quite nice, the performance modes definitely sacrifice some image quality, but run much faster. That opening sequence is extremely performance heavy, but in native 4k or 4K DLSS/Quality it looks amazing.

Oops, your post reminded me that I forgot to run the benchmark with DLSS off. Here are the results:

LRE5TYe.png

Wanted to check out the Bright Memory Infinite benchmark, but it won't start. Just gives me an error. Meh.

I noticed when I ran it that it tried loading SteamVR. Do you have a headset connected? Bit of a longshot, but could try adding this to the launch options in Steam for the benchmark: -nohmd

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I tried some 8k far on my 4k monitor and the difference is minimal. Almost not there.
White doing 4k dsr on 1080p monitor was huge

Malakhov

Banned
I don't feel bad at all. :lollipop_grinning:

I have an 8K QLED and I don't plan to game beyond 4K because the performance hit is too great for too little benefit.
Even in 4k the performance gain isnt worth it above an 3080. And 8k isnt just a performance hit, it's just unplayable. This isnt a gaming card. At least you're happy with it!

Why? It's the only worthwhile upgrade from a 2080Ti.
The only worthwile upgrade is a 3080, clearly showed in that video

But hey if spending 750$ for a few fps in games is for you, go for it

Last edited:

benno

The only worthwile upgrade is a 3080, clearly showed in that video

But hey if spending 750$ for a few fps in games is for you, go for it

The only worthwhile upgrade is a clearly a 3080, and not the 20% faster card?

Stop validating you wanting/getting a 3080 over a 3090.

Malakhov

Banned
The only worthwhile upgrade is a clearly a 3080, and not the 20% faster card?

Stop validating you wanting/getting a 3080 over a 3090.
It's not 20% faster, it's more 2%-15% depending on games. I am not validating, just confirming and linked a video that explains it perfectly.

Stop validating that you spent a 100% price increase for a 2-15% fps boost and bought a workstation card instead of a gaming card.

benno

It's not 20% faster, it's more 2%-15% depending on games. I am not validating, just confirming and linked a video that explains it perfectly.

Stop validating that you spent a 100% price increase for a 2-15% fps boost and bought a workstation card instead of a gaming card.
I'm not the making posts that I feel bad for other people who choose to buy a more expansive item.

Your priority is power vs price. My priority is power.

Malakhov

Banned
I'm not the making posts that I feel bad for other people who choose to buy a more expansive item.

Your priority is power vs price. My priority is power.
I didn't make a post about feeling bad about others buying this card, if you read correctly I said I would of felt bad in buying this card. I almost did since I couldn't get my hands on a 3080 and could get a 3090 instead, now I have no regrets and for me, would of been pretty stupid

My priority is the best gaming card right now and it's the 3080. If you're okay with spending double the price for a 2-15% fps boost which results in a few to maybe 10fps in 4k ultra and are happy with it then it's all good to you

Last edited:

benno

I didn't make a post about feeling bad about others buying this card, if you read correctly I said I would of felt bad in buying this card. I almost did since I couldn't get my hands on a 3080 and could get a 3090 instead, now I have no regrets and for me, would of been pretty stupid

My priority is the best gaming card right now and it's the 3080. If you're okay with spending double the price for a 2-15% fps boost which results in a few to maybe 10fps in 4k ultra and are happy with it then it's all good to you

So what is your whole point exactly?

Malakhov

Banned
So what is your whole point exactly?
My point was made in the post with the YouTube video I posted. What's yours besides trying to justify your purchase and going after me?

So what did you you with your titan card? I'm thinking you surely had one since you're all about 'power'?

benno

I've told you I had a 2080Ti and the 3090 is the only worthwhile upgrade to it.

I'm not "going after" you. I'm posting that your claim of the 3080 being the best card while an even faster card is available is incorrect.
You make a goading post then claim the victim when you get your expected response.

By the way. I'm buying two 3090's and not 1.

Top Bottom