• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Youre missing the point.

They show those games because competitive gamers are buying intel to play them, not because they are hard to run.

Nvidias marketing has been complete fud and amd doesnt need to fully match a 3080.
Just come within 10% performance difference, while costing less and consuming less.

No, thats not why they're showing those games. They're showing those games because they're the ones painting the best picture for them. Thats it. They're not showing Total War, Formula 1 and Borderlands because gamers are buying them.

Pretty much no regular gamer cares about consumption of these cards. If they're 10% slower it only makes sense to cost less, thats not a win when 3070 exists while offering superior raytracing and dlss and good drivers while AMD offering none of these

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My 3080 FE shipped from Best Buy. Wow! I’d have never thought I’d be here.

Downside is that I won’t run it until I get my Zen 3. Running a 4670k that won’t benefit from the 3080.
Congrats. But why wait until you get Zen 3? You will surely get some performance benefist compared to what you likely have right now.

Ascend

Translated: Norwegian online store reveals RTX 30-crisis

The online store Proshop is "fed up" by the uncertainties surrounding RTX 3080 availability, and now reveals how many cards they have received and how many are expected. These are not positive numbers.

Over 85 percent are still waiting for cards
Comparing how few new cards are on the way in, and how few the store has received, and it is clear that the market will not be saturated this year.

Thousands of cards have been ordered, but only a few hundred have been received where 111 is the largest number, and that is Gigabyte's 3080 Gaming OC, followed by the RTX 3080 Ventus from MSI.

There are thousands of orders for Asus cards that cannot be filled
There are a number of cards they have never received any of, and the very few are of Gigabyte's Aorus Master, where they only got 12, have four on the way in and have 28 orders. This was the situation this weekend, Prohop has updated its numbers, and we have entered them below.

To give a different picture of the situation in the US, we are on a waiting list dated September 20 (for four cards), which should be an ok place in the queue at EVGA, but we have still not been notified of the possibility of guaranteed advance booking as they now has added up.

Not surprisingly, Asus' TUF cards are the most popular, as these cards have the best components.

QPzzLQY.png

brHNtEL.png

And 3070: Zeroes across the board..

Nvidia sure was in a hurry to launch on paper.. Logistics was obviously not considered an important part of it. Shameful.
And that's how nVidia claimed they had ample supply but the demand was too high...?

regawdless

Banned
After getting my 3080 Gainward Phoenix GS, I still have two active pre-orders that should arrive shortly.
Briefly thought about selling them at a profit to offset the cost of my 3080, but won't do it.
One will go to a friend of mine, then I'll cancel the other one so another person in line can get his/hers earlier.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Congrats. But why wait until you get Zen 3? You will surely get some performance benefist compared to what you likely have right now.
Probably but not a big worth the effort for me. I just play Overwatch :)

The games I really want to push like Control and Cyberpunk, I’ll have to wait. Currently on a 1070.

The online store Proshop is "fed up" by the uncertainties surrounding RTX 3080 availability, and now reveals how many cards they have received and how many are expected. These are not positive numbers.

Comparing how few new cards are on the way in, and how few the store has received, and it is clear that the market will not be saturated this year.

Thousands of cards have been ordered, but only a few hundred have been received where 111 is the largest number, and that is Gigabyte's 3080 Gaming OC, followed by the RTX 3080 Ventus from MSI.

There are a number of cards they have never received any of, and the very few are of Gigabyte's Aorus Master, where they only got 12, have four on the way in and have 28 orders. This was the situation this weekend, Prohop has updated its numbers, and we have entered them below.

To give a different picture of the situation in the US, we are on a waiting list dated September 20 (for four cards), which should be an ok place in the queue at EVGA, but we have still not been notified of the possibility of guaranteed advance booking as they now has added up.

Not surprisingly, Asus' TUF cards are the most popular, as these cards have the best components.

QPzzLQY.png

brHNtEL.png

Nvidia sure was in a hurry to launch on paper.. Logistics was obviously not considered an important part of it. Shameful.

Man what a shitshow. Right now I'm glad I dropped out of the race.

Still going to get a 30XX eventually, but this has been stupid so far. Right now what I regret most is having taken a day off on the 17th to try and get an order through.

regawdless

Banned
Mhm without any additional OC, my 3080 does around 14.900 points in Timespy. With +115mhz on the core it boosts to 2070mhz and +300mhz on memory at 9802mhz, it does 15.390 points.

Yeah, not really worth it.

GHG

Gold Member

QPzzLQY.png

brHNtEL.png

Those incoming and received numbers are a travesty.

If my 2070S can't do cyberpunk justice then I'll just shelve it until next year.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
on 3080/3090 most... but that's to be expected
Exodus on 4k ultra, dlss, maxed
Control on 4k, quality dlss, all maxed effects
This might sound controversial, but I think that Quantum Break looks better than Control when both games are maxed out at 4K.

regawdless

Banned
Just received my Watch Dogs and Geforce Now codes. Good times ahead.

Bit of a weird process though. For Watch Dogs, I had to redeem the code in the Geforce Experience, from there had to log into my Ubi account, was directed to a webpage, which then should start the Ubi launcher. Which didn't work because I had it already open. So I had to close it and launch it again.

The Geforce Now code though, couldn't be redeemed in the Geforce Experience. I had to go to the Nvidia site, log in and redeem the code there.

Hello inconsistency.

Nydus

Gold Member
Mhm without any additional OC, my 3080 does around 14.900 points in Timespy. With +115mhz on the core it boosts to 2070mhz and +300mhz on memory at 9802mhz, it does 15.390 points.

Yeah, not really worth it.

What's the powerlimit on it? What does GPU z say is the boost clock? And can you benchmark timespy extreme? I don't bench normal timespy cause my 7700k bottlenecks.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
My rig can't maintain 60 frames per second when running "Control" at 4K via DLSS Quality mode (1440p) with all settings maxed out. Is my CPU bottlenecking my RTX 3080?

The video is still processing, so give it some time to become available in 4K.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My rig can't maintain 60 frames per second when running "Control" at 4K via DLSS Quality mode (1440p) with all settings maxed out. Is my CPU bottlenecking my RTX 3080?

Might just be Control, but it doesn't look like a big CPU upgrade would do much for you.

Although it does look like 10900k can do 4K/60 (barely) in Control.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Might just be Control, but it doesn't look like a big CPU upgrade would do much for you.

Although it does look like 10900k can do 4K/60 (barely) in Control.

Yea, I actually came across an article the other day that indicated that an i9-10900K would provide only an ~8% increase relative to an I7-4770k in performance when running games at 4K with Ultra settings.

This is why I want to wait until DDR5-compatible CPUs are released before I upgrade, but people are saying that I should upgrade when Zen3 is released. Maybe Zen3 will provide a greater increase in performance at 4K Ultra.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, I actually came across an article the other day that indicated that an i9-10900K would provide only an ~8% increase relative to an I7-4770k in performance when running games at 4K with Ultra settings.

This is why I want to wait until DDR5-compatible CPUs are released before I upgrade, but people are saying that I should upgrade when Zen3 is released. Maybe Zen3 will provide a greater increase in performance at 4K Ultra.

Since you need to change motherboards/RAM anyway, I'd say definitely wait. We should know by spring or so where AMD and Intel's offerings respectively land in terms of gaming performance.

Rikkori

2 more weeks of waiting, and a good chance there still won't be stock from anyone (neither AMD nor Nvidia).

Sigh.

Waiting to play so many games and am just stuck atm. But if I can't snag one by the end of the month then fuck it, I'll bite the bullet and do step-up with EVGA.

Last edited:

Nydus

Gold Member
I stumbled upon an interesting thread on Reddit about whether or not the 10GBs of VRAM in the RTX 3080 is enough and will be enough for gaming at 1440p and 4K in the foreseeable future.

Interesting find. I will also try to test it in the future :)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

It's b fine. It's not a super stable 60fps with 1440p dlss here on 3700x either. You can try that medium resolution. It gives a bit overhead

BluRayHiDef

Banned
It's b fine. It's not a super stable 60fps with 1440p dlss here on 3700x either. You can try that medium resolution. It gives a bit overhead

But you said that the RTX 3080 can maintain 60 frames per second at maximum settings via DLSS Quality mode. Look at your post below.

What games are running 4k60fps RTX solidly?

No, thats not why they're showing those games. They're showing those games because they're the ones painting the best picture for them. Thats it. They're not showing Total War, Formula 1 and Borderlands because gamers are buying them.

Pretty much no regular gamer cares about consumption of these cards. If they're 10% slower it only makes sense to cost less, thats not a win when 3070 exists while offering superior raytracing and dlss and good drivers while AMD offering none of these

That will be the job of reviewers to show performance with more games.
The fact that they showed results where they are still slower by 3%, definitely makes the slides look more honest and credible.

People dont care about consumption? I remember the days where people downplayed amd cards cuz muh power consumption/heater. 😒

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
But you said that the RTX 3080 can maintain 60 frames per second at maximum settings via DLSS Quality mode. Look at your post below.
I can maintain 60fps 4k maxed settings with 1440p DLSS in control.
Just not 100% of the time. But I have a 40-60hz freesync. Drops to like 50 are not possible to notice without fps counter even.
I don't have some graph of time running but it's like 90% of time solid 60fps. So I am not lying. Just look at some benchmarks

BluRayHiDef

Banned
What many have been saying for a while

Yes, but he tested current games, not games designed primarily for next-gen hardware, which have more memory for graphics.

10GBs will be dedicated to graphics alone on the Xbox Series X (GPU Optimal Memory that amounts to 10GBs and runs at 560GB/s); we can conclude that an amount of the PlayStation 5's slower memory will be dedicated to graphics alone in order to produce parity (i.e. more than 10GBs @ 448GB/s).

Hence, it wouldn't be unreasonable to conclude that discrete graphics cards for PC will need more than 10GBs of VRAM in order to process games at 4K with graphical quality that will be greater than what the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will produce.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes, but he tested current games, not games designed primarily for next-gen hardware, which have more memory for graphics.

10GBs will be dedicated to graphics alone on the Xbox Series X (GPU Optimal Memory that amounts to 10GBs and runs at 560GB/s); we can conclude that an amount of the PlayStation 5's slower memory will be dedicated to graphics alone in order to produce parity (i.e. more than 10GBs @ 448GB/s).

Hence, it wouldn't be unreasonable to conclude that discrete graphics cards for PC will need more than 10GBs of VRAM in order to process games at 4K with graphical quality that will be greater than what the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 will produce.
Even if You will go over 10gb used vram... what do you expect to happen?! gddr6x is pretty fast. it will drop old data and allocate new and you will probably not even notice.
in YEARS when games will start requiring really more than 10gb, 3080 will be way too slow anyway.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Even if You will go over 10gb used vram... what do you expect to happen?! gddr6x is pretty fast. it will drop old data and allocate new and you will probably not even notice.
in YEARS when games will start requiring really more than 10gb, 3080 will be way too slow anyway.

We'll see, mate. I have a feeling that the PC version of Cyberpunk 2077 will need more than 10GBs of VRAM at 4K with maximum settings if the XSX and PS5 versions actually use around 10GBs of VRAM to produce graphical quality that will be below the PC version's maximum graphical quality.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
We'll see, mate. I have a feeling that the PC version of Cyberpunk 2077 will need more than 10GBs of VRAM at 4K with maximum settings if the XSX and PS5 versions actually use around 10GBs of VRAM to produce graphical quality that will be below the PC version's maximum graphical quality.
I hope you are the right

nemiroff

Gold Member

MSFS is very much "next gen" software. And like many other games including previous generation games it uses datastreaming. In this instance from a 2 PetaByte large pool of textures and elevation data. In theory you can visit every single place around the planet seemlessly streaming all of those 2PB worth of data in and out of your GPU without seeing loading screens.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
MSFS is very much "next gen" software. And like many other games including previous generation games it uses datastreaming. In this instance from a 2 PetaByte large pool of textures and elevation data. In theory you can visit every single place around the planet seemlessly streaming all of those 2PB worth of data in and out of your GPU without seeing loading screens.

Then what is the point of GPUs with memory capacities above 5GB (of GDDR6X) or a corresponding amount of the slower GDDR6? As explained in the Reddit post that I embedded in one of my posts above, 5GBs of GDDR6X is enough for current games at 4K Ultra, yet we have 16GB and 20GB variants of the RTX 3070 and RTX 3080, respectively, coming out?

GymWolf

Do we have a topic for pc questions?

Because today is amazon prime day and i was searching for a ssd for my next upgrade but i don't even know what type of ssd i have to search, something similar to the one inside the next consolles i guess, but what data i have to look? M.2? Nvme? What speed? Is the brand very important or i can cheap up? I'm a total noob when it comes to ssd.

Last edited:

CuNi

I think the problem stems from the fact that to this day, PC was gaming in native 4k with all those 4k texture packs etc. and consoles were usually having 1080p textures so the same games needed more VRAM on PC than console.
But now it is different. Consoles will use 4k textures as well as high geometry objects etc. so where should that elevated VRAM requirement come from?
And in the rare case that the VRAM is full and you need more data, PCIe 4.0 is quit fast already and RTX IO will help to remove that bottleneck even further.
The time of insane fps-drops because of lack of VRAM is over for long now. I showed in another thread that even my GTX 970 can play Resident Evil 2 Remake on everything set to max with 60 to 70 FPS despide of the game saying it'll need 12.5GB and my card only having 4GB VRAM total.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Do we have a topic for pc questions?

Because today is amazon prime day and i was searching for a ssd for my next upgrade but i don't even know what type of ssd i have to search, something similar to the one inside the next consolles i guess, but what data i have to look? M.2? Nvme? What speed? Is the brand very important or i can cheap up? I'm a total noob when it comes to ssd.
NVMe PCIe Generation 4.0 whose speed is at least 7GB/s.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I think the problem stems from the fact that to this day, PC was gaming in native 4k with all those 4k texture packs etc. and consoles were usually having 1080p textures so the same games needed more VRAM on PC than console.
But now it is different. Consoles will use 4k textures as well as high geometry objects etc. so where should that elevated VRAM requirement come from?
And in the rare case that the VRAM is full and you need more data, PCIe 4.0 is quit fast already and RTX IO will help to remove that bottleneck even further.
The time of insane fps-drops because of lack of VRAM is over for long now. I showed in another thread that even my GTX 970 can play Resident Evil 2 Remake on everything set to max with 60 to 70 FPS despide of the game saying it'll need 12.5GB and my card only having 4GB VRAM total.
I concede defeat..for now. I guess games are currently only computationally bound and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

CuNi

I concede defeat..for now. I guess games are currently only computationally bound and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Obviously that's how things are now. I can be equally wrong/naiv about what those new consoles will do to the development and hardware needs.
I think that 10GB VRAM are enough for at least 2-4 years but at the same time I am very excited what those stronger consoles will mean for the future of games.
We'll finally have a base of consoles with not terrible 8 core CPUs! I can't state how happy I am about this development!
SSDs and focus on better IO, also a great thing for everyone, even if you don't have a PC with PCIe Gen 4 NVMe SSDs, future games should benefit from load optimization on consoles!
AFAIK even SATA 3 SSDs aren't fully utilized during loading currently.

No matter who is right about the VRAM situation, games sure will get more exciting! :)

GymWolf

NVMe PCIe Generation 4.0 whose speed is at least 7GB/s.
Where the fuck i can see the speed??

This one is half the price today on amazon, but the brand seems suspect...

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Where the fuck i can see the speed??

This one is half the price today on amazon, but the brand seems suspect...

I have the 2TB version of that drive in my PC, hehe. However, even though it's an NVME PCIe Generation 4.0 SSD, it's not capable of the maximum speed of the PCIe Generation 4.0 specification (i.e. 7GB/s). So, I'm not sure if it's fast enough for the PlayStation 5. It'll most likely work, but I don't think it'll be among the list of SSDs recommended by Sony for the PlayStation 5, which you should wait for before buying an SSD.

GymWolf

I have the 2TB version of that drive in my PC, hehe. However, even though it's an NVME PCIe Generation 4.0 SSD, it's not capable of the maximum speed of the PCIe Generation 4.0 specification (i.e. 7GB/s). So, I'm not sure if it's fast enough for the PlayStation 5. It'll most likely work, but I don't think it'll be among the list of SSDs recommended by Sony for the PlayStation 5, which you should wait for before buying an SSD.
Maybe i wasn't clear, i don't want an ssd to put inside a ps5, i need an ssd for my pc that can rival the one inside ps5 or sex now that nvidia released their own gpu\ssd thingy.

Is this sabrent brand any good? (I mean even if you have one doesn't really mean anything).

Also, where the hell do i check the speed in that page, am i blind??

Edit ok the speed is 5gb reading and 4,4 gb in writing, is it any good?
There is the version with the cooler\dissipator, is that thing usefull or just a waste of money?

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
What's the powerlimit on it? What does GPU z say is the boost clock? And can you benchmark timespy extreme? I don't bench normal timespy cause my 7700k bottlenecks.

Power limit is 109, I can't go higher unfortunately. I'm at work currently, will check the boost clock and run Timespy extreme tonight. Will answer it when I've done it!

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Maybe i wasn't clear, i don't want an ssd to put inside a ps5, i need an ssd for my pc that can rival the one inside ps5 or sex now that nvidia released their own gpu\ssd thingy.

Is this sabrent brand any good? (I mean even if you have one doesn't really mean anything).

Also, where the hell do i check the speed in that page, am i blind??

I've had it for only about two weeks and I've installed a lot of my games from Steam and EA Origins on it. It loads games much more quickly than my main drive, which is a Samsung EVO 850 500GB SATA SSD; however, it doesn't load them instantly, as does the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

The problem could be my CPU, which is an i7-5820k and was released back in August of 2014, or it could be that my operating system is still installed on my SATA SSD, which is much slower.

Having said all of this, you're going to need an SSD that meets the specification for the maximum speed of PCIe Generation 4.0, which is 7GB/s. So, you should get Samsung's newly released 980 Pro or get Western Digital's presumably PS5-compatible SSD.

1. Samsung 980 Pro: Samsung website listing.

2. Western Digital SN850: Western Digital website listing

Last edited:

GymWolf

I've had it for only about two weeks and I've installed a lot of my games from Steam and EA Origins on it. It loads games much more quickly than my main drive, which is a Samsung EVO 850 500GB SATA SSD; however, it doesn't load them instantly, as does the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

The problem could be my CPU, which is an i7-5820k and was released back in August of 2014, or it could be that my operating system is still installed on my SATA SSD, which is much slower.

Having said all of this, you're going to need an SSD that meets the specification for the maximum speed of PCIe Generation 4.0, which is 7GB/s. So, you should get Samsung's newly released 980 Pro or get Western Digital's presumably PS5-compatible SSD.

1. Samsung 980 Pro: Samsung website listing.

2. Western Digital SN850: Western Digital website listing
Well fuck me, adios to the idea of spending around 150-200 euros for an ssd...

Lol amazon doesn't even sell this stuff...

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
This might sound controversial, but I think that Quantum Break looks better than Control when both games are maxed out at 4K.

I agree. Control has the most basic texturing of any modern game to date. I can't believe how simple they made the texturing. The PBR shading is also elementary at best.

Last edited:

GymWolf

This is new technology. What do you expect? Wait a year or longer and they'll be cheaper due to competition from other brands.
I was not aware of ssd prices tbh, last time i checked was when i bought the current sss inside my pc like 3 years ago...

Well time to wait for some super duper occasion for this stuff, i'm usually pretty lucky with pc parts.

Let me ask you one other thing, isn't the ssd inside sex far slower than the one inside ps5? I mean i only need to get on pair with that one because devs are gonna develop games on the lower common denominator so maybe chasing the ps5 ssd speed is kinda useless.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I was not aware of ssd prices tbh, last time i checked was when i bought the current sss inside my pc like 3 years ago...

Well time to wait for some super duper occasion for this stuff, i'm usually pretty lucky with pc parts.

Let me ask you one other thing, isn't the ssd inside sex far slower than the one inside ps5? I mean i only need to get on pair with that one because devs are gonna develop games on the lower common denominator so maybe chasing the ps5 ssd speed is kinda useless.

Yes, the SSD in the XSX is capable of reading and writing data at only 2.5GB/s. However, it isn't bottlenecked by a bloated operating system and hundreds of background applications. Hence, you'll need one that's faster to compensate for those bottlenecks. Get the drive that I have: Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD.

Top Bottom