• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia to launch Kepler based 64 bit K1 Chipset with Project Denver CPU in Nexus 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Nvidia 64 Bit K1 Code Name Project Denver

Denver-Hot-Chips-Core.png

This new version of Tegra K1 pairs our 192-core Kepler architecture-based GPU with our own custom-designed, 64-bit, dual-core “Project Denver” CPU, which is fully ARMv8 architecture compatible. Further, Denver is fully pin compatible with the 32-bit Tegra K1 for ease of implementation and faster time to market.

Denver is designed for the highest single-core CPU throughput, and also delivers industry-leading dual-core performance. Each of the two Denver cores implements a 7-way superscalar microarchitecture (up to 7 concurrent micro-ops can be executed per clock), and includes a 128KB 4-way L1 instruction cache, a 64KB 4-way L1 data cache, and a 2MB 16-way L2 cache, which services both cores.

Denver implements an innovative process called Dynamic Code Optimization, which optimizes frequently used software routines at runtime into dense, highly tuned microcode-equivalent routines.

Effectively, this reduces the need to re-optimize the software routines.

Dynamic Code Optimization works with all standard ARM-based applications, requiring no customization from developers, and without added power consumption versus other ARM mobile processors.

The dual-CPU cores can attain significantly higher performance than existing four- to eight-core mobile CPUs on most mobile workloads.

AnandTech K1 Article

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-06%20at%206.18.42%20AM_575px.png

Kepler makes the move into mobile largely unchanged. This is a full Kepler implementation with the same size register file, shared L1 and is 100% ISA compatible with its big brother.

Tegra K1 features a single SMX (in a single GPC), which amounts to 192 CUDA cores.

Tessellation and geometry engines aren’t crippled compared to desktop Kepler. FP64 support is also present, at 1/24 the FP32 rate. There are 4 ROPs and 8 texture units, down from 16 in the PC version of Kepler.

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-06%20at%206.18.21%20AM_575px.png

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-06%20at%206.18.35%20AM_575px.png

With a GPU clock of 950MHz (admittedly, a bit on the high end), NVIDIA can deliver substantially more raw horsepower than either previous generation console (192 CUDA cores * 2 FLOPS per core * 950MHz). Peak texture filtering performance and more importantly, memory bandwidth are lower than what was possible on these consoles but the numbers we’re talking about here aren’t substantial enough to prevent porting from happening. There may be some optimization needed but it definitely looks like Tegra K1 is the first mobile platform that can more or less run Xbox 360/PS3 titles, at least from a performance standpoint.

DonMigs85

The battery life isn't that great when it runs full tilt though. I'll wait for the next Tegra based on Maxwell.

Vanillalite

The battery life isn't that great when it runs full tilt though. I'll wait for the next Tegra based on Maxwell.

This isn't actually known yet because we don't have benchmarks. Remember this is not the same chip as the shield's K1.

Vanillalite

Yup CPU is Denver now but I believe the GPU portion is more or less the same. That was the big battery hog

It's also the new 64 bit Android L OS with the supposed battery enhancements.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you in theory, but I will wait for the usual suspects to release real benchmarks first.

Very impressive energy efficiency. But I'm not convince there is much need for graphics horsepower in tablets. But someone will probably come up with some great uses for it and prove me wrong.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I want an updated Shield Portable, but looks like it isn't happening. :/ I'm done with Android/iOS tablets.

reKon

Banned
We need to put up a bounty for Dolphin developers to port this shit. If it runs well, I will legitimately game on this thing.

badb0y

Already did it. Current K1 non denever edition is already the king. Nvidia has been #1 since the shield tablet hit.

Yep but I am waiting to see what Apple does with the A8X that is apparently going to be included in the new iPads. Traditionally the "X" moniker implied better graphics performance than the standard iPhone SoC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom