• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay - Now Available

Schrade

So nVIDIA fucked everyone using Windows 7 over because people using Windows Media Player couldn't play MPEG-TS container files consistantly? They switched to using the MP4 file sync which has file size limitations in Win7.

Why not just give us the option to use .ts output and leave the .mp4 output as default?

Oh and the 16:10 being squished to 16:9... that's fucking ridiculous and amateur.

UGH! This could have been so perfect.

So nVIDIA fucked everyone using Windows 7 over because people using Windows Media Player couldn't play MPEG-TS container files consistantly? They switched to using the MP4 file sync which has file size limitations in Win7.

Why not just give us the option to use .ts output and leave the .mp4 output as default?

Oh and the 16:10 being squished to 16:9... that's fucking ridiculous and amateur.

I agree with you on all points but it's still beta

It's in beta, and technically not even officially released yet, so it'll most likely improve over time.

Reallink

Gimping products and features to support a nonsensical and irrational idea of user friendly experiences is Nvidia's M.O, even when said ideas actually serve only to complicate and muddy things even more. This is the same reason 3DTVPlay does not support SBS, TB, or Checkerboard, and why it will not pass 3D signals to devices that don't match their EDID whitelist even though your devices may support it (e.g. a lot 2D of AVR's will indeed do a straight pass through, but Nvidia actively blocks it). I would not hope or expect for this to be changed "out of Beta".

Smokey

Testing out ShadowPlay now. Never tried to upload anything to Youtube until now. 12 min Crysis 3 session. Trying to upload the video to YouTube, and it says it's gonna take about 90 minutes. Is this the norm for these types of files or is there anything I can do to reduce the time?

Addnan

Testing out ShadowPlay now. Never tried to upload anything to Youtube until now. 12 min Crysis 3 session. Trying to upload the video to YouTube, and it says it's gonna take about 90 minutes. Is this the norm for these types of files or is there anything I can do to reduce the time?
Get better internet :p.

How big is the file? Youtube generally upload fairly fast. I did a 1GB upload in around 7mins, but that was a 3min video. Guessing a 12min is quite big.

Qassim

It's based off your upload speed. There isn't a norm.

Divus

On this video I uploaded on the last page it took me a hour with my internet. I have 60 down and only 2 up right now but normally I have 28 down 3 up. Makes a big difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaWw4SnVv_E

Came in around 847MB for 3:29 of footage and thats after converting it to 30 fps since thats all Youtube plays anyway.

Its either this ISP or 3 down .75 up on the other option.

Durante

Add drivel level Ambient occlusion and frame limit, NVInspector, easy downsampling, frametime metering in SLI, GPU PhysX and cuda (JC2 water is awesome). Very difficult forget those features.
Yeah, particularly downsampling is huge.

I would not hope or expect for this to be changed "out of Beta".
You really think that they won't fix the handling of non-16:9 aspect ratios in future (non-beta) releases?

NIN90

Getting massive performance hits in CSGO with this. I'm talking 50-70 FPS in a game where I have a locked 120.

Addnan

Getting massive performance hits in CSGO with this. I'm talking 50-70 FPS in a game where I have a locked 120.

Weird. I just tried it with CSGO. Was about the same. 180-200fps.

I forgot F10 closes the game lol. Pressed ALT+F10 to save video, shut my game.

scitek

I'm uploading a video of Most Wanted 2012 right now. Recorded at 60fps and was about 3.5GB at 10min. Compressed it down to 1.2GB with Premiere. I can probably make good use of it for reviews in the future, especially first-time play-throughs where something awesome always happens and I can't ever recreate it.

Anteater

What's the quickest way to cut the videos? Preferably free :eek:

I thought youtube would let me set a beginning and end time but guess it doesn't.

Sanjay

So I recorded a Battlefield 3 clip, the file is 3 minutes long and its 900mb in size file.

Do I upload this video? seems pretty big for only 3 minutes long.

Riggs

Banned
So how do I get this working? I am on 331.58, GTX 680. See nothing about ShadowPlay in experience. Obviously I got wrong version, anyone able to help?

Shit nevermind, I thought Sethos' links were to movie files lol. GG, thanks OP.

n0n44m

Hmm unfortunately I do get a pretty huge performance loss in Red Orchestra 2 :( like 160 fps -> 70 fps ...

only other game I've got installed right now is BF3, and the performance loss there is just ~5% tops, just like I already tested with Unigine Heaven (this is going to be awesome for BF4 next week!)

anyone else tried it with a Unreal Engine game ?

Qassim

I've been using it with Batman Arkham Origins with about 2 - 3fps average loss. Which is an unreal engine game.

Sethos

Banned
Hmm unfortunately I do get a pretty huge performance loss in Red Orchestra 2 :( like 160 fps -> 70 fps ...

only other game I've got installed right now is BF3, and the performance loss there is just ~5% tops, just like I already tested with Unigine Heaven (this is going to be awesome for BF4 next week!)

I can try downloading RO2 however I'm not sure how relevant it would be as I assume I've got a bigger overhead due to my setup. Plus my FPS is soft-locked at 90FPS so my numbers aren't that high either.

Durante

I wonder if the rare instances of it causing more than the usual 2-4% performance impact are related to going over some memory space limit. Doesn't seem likely though, given the games mentioned (which don't seem hard on VRAM).

I've been trying it out a bit more. It seems like once in a while it will skip a bunch of frames in the recording. Had it happen in both resource intensive games and games that I play at 200+ fps. It doesn't happen often, but it often coincides with something badass happening on screen, which leads me to think it is performance related. Still doesn't explain it fully though.

n0n44m

OK then I guess it's just RO2 being weird, I'll send in a ticket via GFExp ;)

Next question : I'm saving the files to my secondary SSD (raid array), OS runs on my primary SSD

when I enable Shadowplay, is it caching on the OS drive ? I don't see any temporary files appearing when I alt-tab to the Shadowplay directory.

edit : playing around with both Shadowplay and manual recording while having W8 taskmanager open on my 2nd monitor; it writes with 6 mb/s to some disk when using Shadowplay cache (i.e. just having it enabled without creating a file) , and 12 mb/s when recording manually (I assume it is still recording Shadowplay cache as well, hence double the rate). The manual recording is written directly to the specified directory, but I can't figure out where Shadowplay cache is being written to -> both disks show 0% usage on the Performance tab ? General memory usage is slowly increasing according to the same Performance tab, but when looking at the Processes tab I don't see any changes ?

not that it really matters, but I'm just curious whether Shadowplay is actually caching to memory or to disk, and in case of the latter why not directly to the same disk where the directory is on :)

Durante

when I enable Shadowplay, is it caching on the OS drive ? I don't see any temporary files appearing when I alt-tab to the Shadowplay directory.
Yeah, I also wonder where the files are caching. And I'd like an option for it to do that in RAM.

n0n44m

Yeah, I also wonder where the files are caching. And I'd like an option for it to do that in RAM.

see my edit, I'm starting to believe it caches to RAM ? but it's kinda hard to try out stuff because every time I alt-tab the Shadowplay cache is probably flushed ...

esai

Works good enough for YouTube. Tried it and uploaded it. Performance was great. Hope bf4 has good performance.

vazel

Banned
Choosing the clean install option in the drivers fixed the sluggishness problems I was having. This is the first time a clean driver install ever fixed a problem I was having.

I'm happy I got this working. I'm going to dedicated my 300GB drive to this. I love recording demos in Source engine games for analysis to help me improve my skills and now I can do that in every game without much of a performance hit. I still think demos are better than video but unfortunately most games don't have that kind of functionality.

Schrade

This didn't work with Lord of the Rings Online.

I haven't tested it with anything else yet though.

It creates the directory, no files show up in it. I tried manual recording and also the Alt-F10 rolling recording.

Nothing ends up in the output dir.

I wonder if DxTory can screw it up?

n0n44m

OK I think I figured it out with some BF3 singleplayer

sat in a spot, watched RAM usage in W8.1 task manager creep from 4.7 to 5.7 GB

when it reached 5.7 it started a big write to my OS drive, and went back to 4.7 again

if I save the Shadowplay file before it hits 5.7 GB RAM usage, the same thing happens except now the write is to my other drive

So my theory is that the Shadowplay function has a ~1 GB RAM cache and writes the contents of that cache to a temporary location on the OS drive every time it is filled. When saving your Shadowplay, it writes to the destination directory from both the RAM and/or the temporary location. Manual recording just records to the destination directory directly.

can't say if that could lead to potential performance issues, I'm using an Samsung 840 for the OS and two 830s in RAID-0 to save to so everything is smooth for me ;) 16 GB of system RAM for the record

also damn @ the YouTube compression in some of the vids posted in this thread ... my own Shadowplay files look a lot better when opening them with MPC

I just testing it in RO2 and didn't notice that big of a hit in FPS, mine stayed right in that 5-10% drop ranged I expected. Never went below 60 FPS, that I do know.

saunderez

Recorded a beautiful video of me playing rhythm on Afterlife by Avenged Sevenfold on Rocksmith 2014. Video quality is exceptional but there's one problem - no sound. Not exactly useful for recording Rocksmith right now.

fade_

Uhhh..beta?

Kinthalis

Banned
So the only issue I'm having is no sound when recording Batman Arkham Origins. All other tested games work fine.

Weird.

I do have a separate sound card, maybe that's it?

jediyoshi

It is, mainly because FRAPS is pure and utter dogshit - Worst piece of recording software on the market. No options, super performance intensive, recording FPS tied to game FPS

Was the last version you used back when it first released?

9Vc5GeH.png

Hell, it's had buffered recording since 2011.

saunderez

So the only issue I'm having is no sound when recording Batman Arkham Origins. All other tested games work fine.

Weird.

I do have a separate sound card, maybe that's it?

I'm guessing if you're not outputting audio through the video card you won't get any sound. I'll have to do some messing around, there may be a way to pipe sound to it. I'm trying to use onboard sound and no dice.

vilmer_

I'll definitely have to check this out, I've always been a FRAPS guy just because I love the sheer quality of the video. Hell I have 6 terabytes of storage drives for FRAPS alone :lol The Avermedia HD capture card is pretty damn good as well, zero performance hits but it's definitely not free.

Sethos

Banned
Was the last version you used back when it first released?

Hell, it's had buffered recording since 2011.

What exactly are you trying to prove? The terrible UI? The fact that it has the capturing options of wet cardboard? It has a buffer option? Still doesn't change the fact that FRAPS is dogshit.

And I tried it at the start of the year before the amazingly fast update cycle where it crashed taking 4k pictures.

Can't believe FRAPS has a defense force.

jwk94

I have an NVIDIA Geoforce GTX 660M but for some reason the program isn't recognizing my graphics card. Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

n0n44m

I just testing it in RO2 and didn't notice that big of a hit in FPS, mine stayed right in that 5-10% drop ranged I expected. Never went below 60 FPS, that I do know.

OK after your comment I tried some more stuff, and figured out it drops from 80 to 75 fps when I disable SLI (like it should), but from 140 to pretty much the same 75 fps with SLI enabled.

so it's a Shadowplay+RO2+SLI issue probably :)

Sethos

Banned
Wait, so what does loop buffer length do?

Little like ShadowPlay, when you hit the record button it has already recorded X amount of seconds before you hit the button. Few other recording programs have a similar feature, PlayClaw afaik.

Dario ff

Banned
I'm looking for a new GPU at the moment and the existence of Shadowplay has pretty much decided for me that I'll buy an Nvidia card. I need to do work with videogame footage very often, and I don't really want to use a capture card for it. (That and it'd still not record 1080p @ 60 FPS unless it's high-end) That and the Shadow Mode feature sounds too convenient.

What I hope that gets tweaked a lot in the beta is those options tho. Is there really no configurable parameters with numbers? The ease of use is nice, but selecting bitrates manually and resolutions should be priority. I doubt the lack of these choices are related to hardware, right?

EDIT: Actually, I figure a lot of those options will come when Twitch streaming is implemented.

Top Bottom