• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia's ShadowPlay - Now Available

Sethos

Banned
I'm looking for a new GPU at the moment and the existence of Shadowplay has pretty much decided for me that I'll buy an Nvidia card. I need to do work with videogame footage very often, and I don't really want to use a capture card for it. (That and it'd still not record 1080p @ 60 FPS unless it's high-end)

What I hope that gets tweaked a lot in the beta is those options tho. Is there really no configurable parameters? The ease of use is nice, but selecting bitrates manually and resolutions should be priority. I doubt the lack of these choices are related to hardware, right?

I'm certain we'll see constant improvements and features. This is basically a baby-step release with the basic features. They even showed off ShadowPlay with Twitch integreation, webcam integration and I also believe it had external microphone integration. However that's not in this version. I see no reason to not allow custom resolutions, even if it's below 1080p, aspect ratio selection / appropriate res or perhaps multiple audio sources.

There is a lot of room for improvement.

I had criticized PhysX alot, since his AGEIA origins.
With Mirror's Edge, IMHO, it started to be tweaked in a less 'bulky', more pleasant way and became more affordable by hardwares. Now it's one of the major reasons I'm happy with nVidia.

Here, BTW, a couple of video recorded with Shadow Play:
http://youtu.be/xTfzhmYaltk
http://youtu.be/OyNrj2lFQTk

Can't wait to use it in BF4!

Ugh, YouTube's re-encoding absolutely destroys gameplay footage most of the time. They really need to update their standards.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
When streaming with Twitch in a future GeForce Experience release, this minimal performance impact will ensure competitive multiplayer matches aren’t compromised by high CPU usage or hard disk thrashing.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-shadowplay-beta-available-october-28

I cannot fucking WAIT til TwitchTV support is in!!!! Hopefully will require less overhead and perform better than either Xsplit or OBS.

*hugs my GTX680 4GB*

Sethos

Banned
Alright, since Premiere decided to fuck up the audio completely I tried editing with Vegas and it works perfect there.

Here's a video rendered with 2-pass variable bitrate at 50mbit. Added a little slow-mo moment just for fun as well to take advantage of the 60fps. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StMjyuKiy_8

Quick tip mate, in Vegas go into Options tab -> Preferences -> Editing and untick "Preserve pitch when stretching audio events". Then the audio will be proper slow-motion as well.

Xyber

Quick tip mate, in Vegas go into Options tab -> Preferences -> Editing and untick "Preserve pitch when stretching audio events". Then the audio will be proper slow-motion as well.

Cool, I was checking around to see if there was anything for that actually.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Vids are a bit muddier than FRAPS, naturally, but you can't argue with the performance and it certainly saves me some time in terms of the workflow - particularly if Youtube is the destination.

Once they implement a file-splitting capability for constant recording ala FRAPS I will probably switch over entirely.

When TwitchTV support comes, unless I'm mistaken you wouldn't need to worry about recording long play sessions from Shadow Play itself, because you'll be able to stream directly to Twitch, and then proceed to have Twitch archive and save the whole session if you'd like. That's why I can't wait til it arrives.

Dario ff

Banned
I'm certain we'll see constant improvements and features. This is basically a baby-step release with the basic features. They even showed off ShadowPlay with Twitch integreation, webcam integration and I also believe it had external microphone integration. However that's not in this version. I see no reason to not allow custom resolutions, even if it's below 1080p, aspect ratio selection / appropriate res or perhaps multiple audio sources.

There is a lot of room for improvement.

Oh cool, I wasn't aware they demo'd the Twitch integration already. I figure by that point they'll allow a lot more customization (maxing out the upload speed at the right bitrate is important), I just found it odd that an initial version features certain presets when it seems more trivial to just let us mess around with the values with a text box or even a file. I'll watch for updates meanwhile.

Thanks for the answer.

Xyber

I just hope they add the option to stream to other sites as well and not just Twitch, because that site is fucking unusable for me. Can't watch any stream anymore unless I get the option to set it to medium. "Source" resolution hasn't worked since they introduced that. And I got 110Mbit connection, so it sure isn't on my end.

Sethos

Banned
I just hope they add the option to stream to other sites as well and not just Twitch, because that site is fucking unusable for me. Can't watch any stream anymore unless I get the option to set it to medium. "Source" resolution hasn't worked since they introduced that. And I got 110Mbit connection, so it sure isn't on my end.

Oh no, Twitch and Ustream as straight up unusable for a lot of people - Both for watching and streaming content. Their servers are so overloaded, especially the European servers seem knackered. That's why I just go "meh" with the Twitch integration. Really shouldn't be a problem to add a custom option.

EDIT: I know this is a pretty weak picture but all I have right now;

Rcaeaap.jpg

You can see there's one more box, few extra options in the ShadowPlay interface. That was the Webcam + where your webcam thumbnail would be placed when streaming.

Would love if they let users decide how much to cache in ram. I would rather let it use a bunch of ram for continous recording than to have lots of disc writes to my os ssd. Im also suprised that they don't let you choose which disk to use as cache. Seems wierd that it's not the same as the storage disk.

isamu

From what I understand, Youtube streaming has improved *significantly* and is actually much better than Twitch now. If this is true, I think we need to lobby nvidia to add YT streaming support as well.

Valtýr

Alright, since Premiere decided to fuck up the audio completely I tried editing with Vegas and it works perfect there.

Here's a video rendered with 2-pass variable bitrate at 50mbit. Added a little slow-mo moment just for fun as well to take advantage of the 60fps. :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StMjyuKiy_8

Are you also having problems with the audio/video being out of sync when importing the mp4's into Premiere?

I really don't like Vegas and find it's exporting to be painfully slow. I was able to figure out how to get around the sync issue. Using Quicktime I export the mp4 as a mov file (which is the same filesize, bitrate, etc and doesnt take long to do). Then I import the mov into Premiere and the sync issue is gone.

This is the future of PC game recording people.

The performance hit is so small (like 3 fps) and the fact that it's 60fps recordings at 1080 is amazing.

Also, it's only Beta and I see a SHIT ton of things they could add that could make this thing so damn awesome.

I can't wait for the Twitch integration for one.

I am having some choppiness for playback in VLC. In MPC it works perfect though.

GREAT JOB NVIDIA!

Smokey

I did two videos with it:

Crysis 3 12 minute session

BF3 MP heli shot down

there does seem to be an audio sync issue, especially towards the middle of the Crysis 3 vid. Other than that, it's a neat piece of software.

The BF3 quick vid is exactly how I imagine the PS4/X1 streaming service will be used. Something cool happens, press button and done.

edit: re-uploading Crysis 3 vid because of the Youtube stabilization non sense.

vazel

Banned
I don't like the way shadow video caches. When I save a 10-minute shadow video I can't watch it immediately, I have to wait until it's done copying the cache from the OS drive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I did two videos with it:

Crysis 3 12 minute session

BF3 MP heli shot down

there does seem to be an audio sync issue, especially towards the middle of the Crysis 3 vid. Other than that, it's a neat piece of software.

The BF3 quick vid is exactly how I imagine the PS4/X1 streaming service will be used. Something cool happens, press button and done.

Looks fair but you see some camera/capture wobble there if you know what I mean. Referring to the BF3 vid. Good IQ though.

Dario ff

Banned
Upload and stream back at 60.

I believe youtube supported 60fps way way back when supported resolutions were pretty low. I remember seeing an old video that streamed at 60fps
It's true, they supported it at 240p. They took it out tho.

There's still a way to get 60 FPS playback on Youtube, but the audio sounds like crap*. You just use the trick this video does and use the HTML5 trial player to speed it up to 2x.

I believe Twitch stores whatever you stream at 60 FPS if you need it. But I'm not sure of the quality, pretty sure there's a bitrate cap on it. The other way is to store the file somewhere with a direct link and use a webpage with a player linked to it. I don't know of any other alternatives at the moment.

*: It might be the problem of whoever slowed down that video tho.

vilmer_

Upload and stream back at 60.

I believe youtube supported 60fps way way back when supported resolutions were pretty low. I remember seeing an old video that streamed at 60fps

I'm almost positive that youtube is still locked at 30 fps max unless you check out a couple of the workarounds, which are not a sure bet. The only 60 fps videos/streams that I've had the pleasure to watch recently have been WoW Twitch streams. The difference between a 30 and 60 fps stream is absolutely astonishing.

Megasoum

Banned
Sorry for the slight OT but is there anything special to do if I want to use MPC? I've been on VLC forever and loved it but since the last update I've started getting some annoying tearing and I can't find a way to fix it. I tried enabling hardware decoding but then I get a ton of pixeling and blocks everywhere...

Anyway... so I downloaded MPC but is there anything else to do?

Just tried it with a quck Warframe match. The video quality is great, but the audio is a little soft and sort of tinny.

While I was playing it back on VLC, there were stutters that weren't there while I was playing, though.

Just tried it with a quck Warframe match. The video quality is great, but the audio is a little soft and sort of tinny.

While I was playing it back on VLC, there were stutters that weren't there while I was playing, though.

VLC has issues with this MP4 playback for some reason. Use MPC. It works perfectly with no choppiness.

Parsnip

Anyway... so I downloaded MPC but is there anything else to do?
For basics, no. As of the most recent version MPC-HC comes now with build-in internal LAV filters, which will take care of you like a baby. I personally prefer AC3filter for audio because it has more mixing options, but LAV audio will serve you well.

There are obviously a bunch of configuration options, but just installing it should get you going. As far as I recall the default options are pretty good. There are a bunch of tutorials out there on the webs if you want to go deeper.

Unai

What's the quickest way to cut the videos? Preferably free :eek:

I thought youtube would let me set a beginning and end time but guess it doesn't.

I would like to know that as well. Maybe Windows Movie Maker?

Another thing I want to do and I don`t know how is transform the video in 30 frames per second.

Edit: It looks like Avidemux is the answer.

I'm not sure what Microsoft is talking about, or why NVIDIA can't work around it:

ZWBJU7o.png

Windows 7

What would the easiest way to get audio commentary with the video?
Yeah, this is something they need to fix. E.g. if you are playing with mumble, it will record other people but not yourself (since you are obviously not part of your own PC's audio output). They need an option for overlaying microphone input over what is already being captured.
Currently it appears that if the game itself supports "hardware sound" it will not record. However even if you have a sound card, other games using software-based sound should work. Make sure NVIDIA's audio drivers are installed, even if you don't use them. If all else fails, try enabling "Stereo Mix" or "What U Hear" under recording devices.
If you mean talking while playing and having that be recorded, yeah, making sure STEREO MIX is enabled in your Sound Control Panel is the easiest way.

o0yo3rg.png

You can tell it is working when you can hear yourself when you talk into the mic.

esai

If you mean talking while playing and having that be recorded, yeah, making sure STEREO MIX is enabled in your Sound Control Panel is the easiest way.

o0yo3rg.png

You can tell it is working when you can hear yourself when you talk into the mic.
I'll try this. All my videos recorded my friend on Skype but not me.

saunderez

Solved the problem of no sound when recording Rocksmith 2014.

Audio exclusivity must be turned off in game. Leave it enabled on your soundcard but turn it off in game. Doesn't seem to have much of an impact in terms of adding lag etc, I'm just waiting for my test vid to upload to Youtube so I can see what the end result looks like.

Levyne

Banned
Oh, I was in the dark about this. I was messing with streaming some stuff for funsies (have NEVER done it before) but was fumbling around with OBS and wasn't getting a lot of good results.

This might be a dumb question because I am so new at this, but for streaming can this capture fullscreen footage? OBS seems to require windowed fullscreen. Again, sorry if that's a dumb question. I dislike going windowed fullscreen because then I start tearing real bad :(

EDIT: Okay so somehow missed Valtyr's post, and just realised that the vids are out of sync in Premiere Pro even before export.

Gonna try Quicktime.

Xyber

Valtýr;87749029 said:
Are you also having problems with the audio/video being out of sync when importing the mp4's into Premiere?

I really don't like Vegas and find it's exporting to be painfully slow. I was able to figure out how to get around the sync issue. Using Quicktime I export the mp4 as a mov file (which is the same filesize, bitrate, etc and doesnt take long to do). Then I import the mov into Premiere and the sync issue is gone.

Yeah, same problem here. And the exporting sure takes a while with Vegas. That clip was just over 1 minute and took almost 8 minutes to render. Using the same settings in Premiere only takes 2:45. I might give Quicktime a try.

Solved the problem of no sound when recording Rocksmith 2014.

Audio exclusivity must be turned off in game. Leave it enabled on your soundcard but turn it off in game. Doesn't seem to have much of an impact in terms of adding lag etc, I'm just waiting for my test vid to upload to Youtube so I can see what the end result looks like.

Since Rocksmith isn't really that demanding, you could just stick with Dxtory or Bandicam if you want audio exclusivity on. Me myself can't stand any audio lag from the guitar, it really throws me off when doing some faster strumming stuff. And I can't even see any performance loss when recording in 1080p with Dxtory in that, but I also got a pretty high-end PC.

TheD

The Detective
I'm not sure what Microsoft is talking about, or why NVIDIA can't work around it:

ZWBJU7o.png

Windows 7

o0yo3rg.png

Looks like it is using some kind of built in window's MP4 muxer to put it into a MP4 container but it seems like someone at MS put a retarded limit on it for some reason (maybe for the few morons that are still using FAT32 and instead of doing the right thing and telling anyone that uses it with a FAT32 drive "tough shit", they made it crap for everyone).

vazel

Banned
I figured out what was causing my sluggishness earlier. It was forcing SSAO in nvidia inspector. When I disable SSAO or Shadowplay the sluggishness goes away; these two settings don't like being on at the same time. The games I tested were L4D2 and CS:GO. Can someone with a 660ti test it too?

ZBaQ5VM.png

esai

so i still cant figure out how to get my voice from skype to record or record full matches all my recordings are around 11 minutes. Can i even record longer than that?

Top Bottom