• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

Honestly, I find the way that people in this thread are trying to rake the insiders - the ones who have been fairly consistent - for being wrong here to be kind of shameful. I also can't help feel that there's some jealousy or some similar motivation there. A desire to see them disproved rather than to actually evaluate whether or not they might have access to the knowledge they claim to.

This fake was built on NX patents. Therefore, we know that Nintendo is considering certain aspects of it, and it's not a significant stretch of the imagination to think that Nintendo is going to make something with some of those aspects.

Most of what we've been hearing from insiders is that the NX controller has no buttons, and that this fake lines up with that. That's not the same as saying that this controller is real, and the fact that this was proven to be a fake does not mean that the NX has buttons. We don't still don't know anything about the actual NX controller. It could very well have a lot of the features of this one, even if the ergonomics and other design details are completely different.

Beyond that, someone who has heard good information has not necessarily learned it firsthand. Considering how many people who should be knowledgeable thought that it was consistent with what their sources were telling them, I would not be surprised if the fake is similar in some key respects to a real controller that their sources were telling them about. I'd also suspect that they'd never actually seen the NX controller, so they could only guess whether or not it was real by comparing it to the information they had received - preferably against the information they had received from multiple unrelated sources.

FZZ

Banned
So the thread got 1,097,347 views and 10,000+ replies in a day huh?

Jesus christ Nintendo has the gaming community by the balls when it comes to news, if only they could capitalize on it

Honestly, I find the way that people in this thread are trying to rake the insiders - the ones who have been fairly consistent - for being wrong here to be kind of shameful. I also can't help feel that there's some jealousy or some similar motivation there. A desire to see them disproved rather than to actually evaluate whether or not they might have access to the knowledge they claim to.

This fake was built on NX patents. Therefore, we know that Nintendo is considering certain aspects of it, and it's not a significant stretch of the imagination to think that Nintendo is going to make something with some of those aspects.

Most of what we've been hearing from insiders is that the NX controller has no buttons, and that this fake lines up with that. That's not the same as saying that this controller is real, and the fact that this was proven to be a fake does not mean that the NX has buttons. We don't still don't know anything about the actual NX controller. It could very well have a lot of the features of this one, even if the ergonomics and other design details are completely different.

Beyond that, someone who has heard good information has not necessarily learned it firsthand. Considering how many people who should be knowledgeable thought that it was consistent with what their sources were telling them, I would not be surprised if the fake is similar in some key respects to a real controller that their sources were telling them about. I'd also suspect that they'd never actually seen the NX controller, so they could only guess whether or not it was real by comparing it to the information they had received - preferably against the information they had received from multiple unrelated sources.

Pretty much this. If anything, I'm expecting more of a Vita-esque form factor and attachable cheap physical "overlays" that can be swapped in and out to do all sorts of physical input layouts. Probably a lot more practical and easier than trying to do haptic tech but simultaneously a lot more customizable than regular physical inputs.

Was our best source. He's done now. Nintendo most likely fired his source and served him some mighty legal threats. He's dead.

Well FWIW he did reply to someone in the comments in one of his videos earlier this month that "everything is fine" but yeah, he's obviously laying low and like you I'd be amazed if his source wasn't found out. That said, I don't care if he "was" our source, Trev may be the best Nintendo source GAF ever had and his info dump put many other "insiders" here to shame as dangerous as it may have been. And if anything Trev's posts from his verified source coupled with the NX fake controller troll have together really upended and scorched a good portion of GAF's insider status quo culture here (not talking about reliable folks like John Harker obviously) and has caused folks to finally reflect on what these folks say, how they say it and whether or not any of it really has any merit outside of attention mongering. People will think twice next time someone plays games like coyly saying something was "Confirmed," scoffs with "lol" replies as if they have inside info on specs or plays ASCII word games.

Honestly to me it was obvious it was fake just by the shape of the thing. That was very crude art in the patent image, the designer probably just used a basic oval like that to save time. And all patent images are like that. And the fakes just took that exact shape and ran with it, which to me was the biggest alarm bell as official products rarely resemble patent images nearly identically like that. Its a terrible design both ergonomically and asthetically as well. If it was more like the vita or PSPs shape I might have believed it.

Banned
Well FWIW he did reply to someone in the comments in one of his videos earlier this month that "everything is fine" but yeah, he's obviously laying low and like you I'd be amazed if his source wasn't found out. That said, I don't care if he "was" our source, Trev may be the best Nintendo source GAF ever had and his info dump put many other "insiders" here to shame as dangerous as it may have been. And if anything Trev's posts from his verified source coupled with the NX fake controller troll have together really upended and scorched a good portion of GAF's insider status quo culture here (not talking about reliable folks like John Harker obviously) and has caused folks to finally reflect on what these folks say, how they say it and whether or not any of it really has any merit outside of attention mongering. People will think twice next time someone plays games like coyly saying something was "Confirmed," scoffs with "lol" replies as if they have inside info on specs or plays ASCII word games.
Well Harker said he didn't want to comment on it, but this thread would have stopped at page 3 if Matt, Iherre or him just went "lol nope". That's not really breaking NDA, it just confirms that the picture was fake.

But this thread did clean out some pseudo-insiders and showed the real ones.

Well Harker said he didn't want to comment on it, but this thread would have stopped at page 3 if Matt, Iherre or him just went "lol nope". That's not really breaking NDA, it just confirms that the picture was fake.

If the NDA is as strong as it sounds, confirming something is fake may even be pushing it. And also.. I'm sure they were intrigued by the reactions too. ;)

AdanVC

I'm so depressed now.

We all shared something in this thread. We laughed, we cried, we argued.

Now it's all gone, I mean what is even the point anymore.

Yeah despite of this being fake, It was great to speculate and get hyped with y'all <3. My fave thread on GAF. The tree, the mock-ups, the top notch graphic theories... we got fooled in the end despite all of that.

To me Harker laughing it off and saying he didn't want to comment just shows that the real insiders have a lot more self control.

Indeed.

Cipherr

I Admit it. I take the L for shitting on Nintendo earlier in the thread. I don't mind eating the crow. But something has to be said about the fact that it was so easy to believe. Nintendo is fucking crazy, and after seeing their prototypes for the Wii that were considered but turned down:

6be27f03.jpg

It's hard to make out juuuuuust how fucking crazy they are.... I mean.. shit, they damn near considered a fucking round controller with a STAR button in the middle once upon a time... Is a buttonless monstrosity shaped like the ovals you filled in with #2 pencils during school tests really out of the question with these guys?

It's still good to hear though. I enjoyed MK8 and I really want one on their upcoming console, but it needs to be reasonable. I'm not buying crap.

This thread was the real adventure. All worth it. Thank you all, GAF. <3

Now, about the patent...How many patents has Nintendo filed since beginning development of the NX? I imagine they've filed some in earlier years that have yet to hit the market in any way, but I don't have a list or anything. (That excludes the patent leading to this fake, of course.)

The only GAF insider I trust anymore is BruceLeeRoy.

Can someone link the post where it was revealed that it was a hoax and everyone ate crow?
I don't know if I ate crow or not. I probably did.

Leatherface

Whelp. I'm already hyped now damn it, so I'm going big. I think this is going to be full on VR. Nintendo has been practicing for this since virtual boy. They practiced motion control. They made an innovative 3D handheld. The time is now and the time is right. The difference between Nintendo and the other offerings is that with Nintendo it can be part of their console, not an addon or novelty, but a focus. Something that can be used as an option within any game by default. Something that 100% of their customer base had access to, instead of only a fraction of their customer base if VR was offered as an add-on.

I welcome our new VR overlords. &#128526;

Which ones?

Entertaining as this thread was, this too is my takeaway. I'll be ignoring some "insiders" in this thread going forward. To bad they proved to be unreliable or at the very least, largely too out of touch to actually be trusted as sources.

Banned
If the NDA is as strong as it sounds, confirming something is fake may even be pushing it. And also.. I'm sure they were intrigued by the reactions too. ;)

No NDA can punish that. The NDA's usually are more about revealing features of the system, or revealing specs. A firm "this is fake" doesn't really scream NDA violation to me.

GamerJM

Banned
Well, now that we know it's fake....legendary thread.

I'm honestly super hyped to see what the NX actually is now, even moreso than before. This has gotten people thirsty at the very least.

No NDA can punish that. The NDA's usually are more about revealing features of the system, or revealing specs. A firm "this is fake" doesn't really scream NDA violation to me.

not really. they can just easily put "don't talk or mention anything NX related" or something similar clause in that NDA which will be violated when you're confirming that a 'leak' is fake

MattPearce

Neo Member

The Nintendo NDA for the 3DS prohibits even mentioning that you have signed a Nintendo NDA (I would tell you how I know that, but it would technically be breaking the NDA). I would say confirming that it is fake would definitely violate it. (I know nothing about the NX, before anyone asks - I've been out of the industry for a few years).

Nerrel

I feel like we really dodged a fucking bullet, here. Even though one was never fired. Thank god. Now, to see what batshit insane thing Nintendo actually will unleash on us...

Banned
not really. they can just easily put "don't talk or mention anything NX related" or something similar clause in that NDA which will be violated when you're confirming that a 'leak' is fake

First off, he has internet anonymity, second off, a simple "lol" or "no" is not talking about the NX, therefore it doesn't violate anything.

And in the past, when things leaked, such as the rumor that no assassins creed would be coming out this year, Harker posted "ubisoft needs to fix that leaky ship", so he's done it before :p

Maybe he just loves watching the chaos. John Harker is a sadist.

The Nintendo NDA for the 3DS prohibits even mentioning that you have signed a Nintendo NDA (I would tell you how I know that, but it would technically be breaking the NDA). I would say confirming that it is fake would definitely violate it. (I know nothing about the NX, before anyone asks - I've been out of the industry for a few years).

whoa.

How can talking about the 3DS 5 years into it's lifespan break it's NDA? Doesn't the NDA expire at launch?

First off, he has internet anonymity, second off, a simple "lol" or "no" is not talking about the NX, therefore it doesn't violate anything.

And in the past, when things leaked, such as the rumor that no assassins creed would be coming out this year, Harker posted "ubisoft needs to fix that leaky ship", so he's done it before :p

Maybe he just loves watching the chaos. John Harker is a sadist.

whoa.

How can talking about the 3DS 5 years into it's lifespan break it's NDA? Doesn't the NDA expire at launch?
different NDA has different clause. while a 'lol' might not be that obvious, outright saying 'no' will show that you know about NX and talked about it, thus breaking that hypothetical clause. (disclaimer: i dunno the content in NX/Nintendo NDA at all, just assuming)
also, i'm not sure if generally NDA has expiry dates or what, but I know the ones i signed don't have that (educational related)

I Admit it. I take the L for shitting on Nintendo earlier in the thread. I don't mind eating the crow. But something has to be said about the fact that it was so easy to believe. Nintendo is fucking crazy, and after seeing their prototypes for the Wii that were considered but turned down:

6be27f03.jpg

It's hard to make out juuuuuust how fucking crazy they are.... I mean.. shit, they damn near considered a fucking round controller with a STAR button in the middle once upon a time... Is a buttonless monstrosity shaped like the ovals you filled in with #2 pencils during school tests really out of the question with these guys?

It's still good to hear though. I enjoyed MK8 and I really want one on their upcoming console, but it needs to be reasonable. I'm not buying crap.
They should revisit the two towards the right; those look pretty damn cool actually and could be functional in some diverse ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom