• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

So... Is there any way this controller could be significantly cheaper than Wii U's?
This is what really kills me. If someone wants their console and doesn't like this controller, they are going to have to eat the cost of an expensive controller just like the Wii U.

So do you think the buttons will be virtually on-screen?

0b42662d47ce90b597f9535e8edb87ee.png

Good luck getting third parties to cater to whatever resolution Nintendo uses for an oval display as well.

The original patent mentioned the design is meant to accommodate images with a 16:9 aspect ratio. I don't think any developer is gonna have a gun pointed at their head telling them to use the entire screen to display their gameplay images. The worst they'll have to do is map some buttons to haptic touch inputs.

Trying to imagine how (other than gyro) I'll play Mario Kart 9 on this xD

Press right stick in (like a clickable stick) to go, use left stick to turn. Shoulder wheels control drift/brake and items. Done.

GRIMREEFZ

That first leak a few days ago made it look massive and ugly. I guess bc the scale was bad. my mind has changed and that thing is BEAUTIFUL

TWO THINGS:

1. We don't know if this is the console controller. Could just be the handheld that doubles as a controller or something.

2. It looks like the screen doesn't extend all the way across past the sticks.

hmmmmmmm

Maybe this is a third device. Didn't one of Iwata's presentations include multiple gaming silhouettes?

LuuKyK

I think that, in the end if they do something like this, it will not involve a reduced screen size, nor will your thumbs be covering the screen. If only because of the complaints and criticism people are making over it.

How would that not be the case though? Motion controls? Because only to reach the analog sticks you would already cover the sides of the screen with our hands, and then there would be the touch buttons that would probably be placed in the middle next to the sticks, and there goes another part of the screen for you to see the game. I just dont understand how this is a good idea at all.

And even worse is people defending this with the "innovation/this is not 2005 anymore" argument. Come on... this is not a matter of being new or innovative, but actually functional and fun to use, and this thing doesnt look like it at all form these pics.

I also dont get people claiming that touch buttons would be good because you could relocate them on the screen... I mean, there is not even much more space for you to move them to, so whats the point?

-Horizon-

Well your thumbs and a portion of your palms are going to cover the bottom left and bottom right of the screen. I don't see how you use this without the palm coming on to the controller.

Yeah, part of your palm. How tall do you think this thing will be where it'll require you to have a large portion of your palm over the screen?

Astral Dog

Sure, I meant more of moving the announcement up further. The longer they wait to communicate efficiently, the longer misinformation swirls. This was one of the issues the Wii U had early on when people thought it was an add on to the Wii. They waited to communicate and it was DOA before they even knew it.
Well, they would still need to prepare everything for the eventual announcement, i doubt they are changing their plans for this.

Neoxon

I......actually....like it......sorry guys!
ok no phyical buttons but cmon how much longer is the world gonna need phyical buttons? eventually tech will move away from certain older tech. Iphone is trying to get rid of 3.5 head jacks where nintendo is tryin to get rid of traditional controllers. Lets see what they do with this controller if it feels great and the hypaic feedback feels great and it works then hey? who cares. so my first thought is wait...what? then im thinking of the possiblities in what ninendo can do with this and it might just work. I do like the look of the controller.
But what about fighting games such as Smash, Pokkén Tournament, or Tekken? Unless there's GameCube Controller & Pokkén Pro Pad support for the NX Console, that entire genre is screwed. That being said, I am intrigued by the controller, assuming that the previously-mentioned controllers still work.

You're looking at it?
The guy said that this was the NX Console's controller. While I could see the NX Handheld looking similar, I'm not 110% sure if it'll look the exact same as the controller.

I love how what Nintendo took from Wii U is that people loved the screen on the controller, but hated the buttons, which is totally the opposite from reality.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It doesn't aesthetically look horrible, but it's also not immediately clear to me what the advantage of this is. Here's my thinking:

- An oval screen has less screen real estate than an equivalently long/wide rectangle screen
- With the analogue sticks inside the screen, any grip angle will cover a portion of the screen "outside" the sticks
- Ergo, developers will not use the outside of the screen, so the effective screen real estate is more like the area inside of the sticks.

Given this, I'd rather a rectangular screen with the sticks outside the screen on a bezel, which also has the side-effect of allowing buttons.

- Touch screen controls are OK
- But they've been OK on my phone for the last 8 years so it's not clear to me why I wouldn't just use my phone. It's clear to me why Nintendo wouldn't want people to just use their phones, but it's not clear to me why I wouldn't just want to use my phone.
- Also if touch screen controls are OK, I'm not sure why I'd care much about the analogue sticks. It seems to me that I'd rather buttons and no sticks than sticks and no buttons.

This is what really kills me. If someone wants their console and doesn't like this controller, they are going to have to eat the cost of an expensive controller just like the Wii U.

It's not you I'm worried about it killing.

Well, You had a good 30+ year run nintendo.

edit: aw nuts, at this rate I'm going to have to eat crow about my earlier posts on that Animal crossing wouldn't make it to mobile.

Baleoce

That's probably the easiest example. You only need like 2 buttons and a analog stick to play it. I think the sticks can be used as buttons as well, though I'm not entirely sure

If they're clickable then for sure. Also I guess I was going on the assumption that there are no other physical buttons on the pad. But seen as we can't actually see the top or back then it's a moot point.

NahaNago

1. that controller just looks too uncomfortable for me to believe that that is what the nx conroller will look like.

2. I doubt that the game will be using all that screen space. if it has no buttons then i can see the the video game being a small rectangular portion of the controller and the rest of the screen space on the controller will be used for buttons.

This is my concept of the Nintendo NX and how it could be done to solve the lack of
a button input:

CeQDW1ZWQAATf8y.jpg

I think there are solutions to the problem being had right now.

If this thing hasn't even been formally announced and you are already having to come up with ideas for cases and shells to make this thing appealing to the core gaming audience doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of this design and sort of cement the thought that it's a terrible idea?

Diffense

So, which countries use keyboards with Ä? Ninjas on the way.

Anyway, these seem like real pictures of "something" so it would be a rather elaborate fake (somebody actually built a convincing mockup). Unless the two reddit leaks are connected, it's unlikely that independent people would create such similar mockups.

I think the shape is actually ergonomic despite looking like Stewie. Your grasp is widest between your thumb and index and gets progressively narrower between the palm and successive fingers. The tapered shape fits the natural hand shape quite well. When controllers have grips the grips are usually shaped like that. However, the hands need to be near the touchscreen so the lack of grips encourages a closer "embrace".

I'll reserve judgement on the lack of physical buttons as I have little experience with haptics. However, the clickable analogs and clickable + scrollable shoulder buttons provide a fair number of physical inputs in an economical way. Furthermore, if the touchscreen is able to give convincing feedback this could actually be an nice way to have configurable controls. Nintendo would really have to nail the tactile sensation to justify the removal of physical face buttons. I'm not sure if the satisfying movement of a real button can be replicated by an advanced touchscreen. That's my biggest question but I'm still intrigued if this is true.

It looks like it has the build quality of a Vita, which is really nice coming from Nintendo. That said, it's still a stupid design. Real buttons and a normal aspect ratio plz

Anth0ny

The original patent mentioned the design is meant to accommodate images with a 16:9 aspect ratio. I don't think any developer is gonna have a gun pointed at their head telling them to use the entire screen to display their gameplay images. The worst they'll have to do is map some buttons to haptic touch inputs.

just like they didn't have a gun pointed to their head to support the gamepad shit right

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Except that among other things, adding resistance to a screen and creating the sensation of physical buttons is absolutely an aspect of haptic technology. Haptic technology is NOT just adding a vibration when you hit a button or stuff like that

OP says that it works like Apple Tactic. Do you have an iPhone 6S? It wouldn't work like real buttons. It would not provide the reference point that you get from sensing the shape of a diamond formation of buttons. Not at all.

If this is the NX controller for the home console it tells me that the system might not be as powerful as the Xbox One or PS4 because the NX probably will not be getting much 3rd party support and not be getting ports of PS4 and Xbox One games. The controller just would not work for many games on those systems. Imagine playing a FPS or fighting game on the NX. The only way I could see this is if there was Pro Controller that is compatible with the system.

Samemind

I'm going to jump ahead a few steps and pray that this go around Nintendo has figured out how to have multiple of these be-screened controllers connected to one console. Make Four Swords Adventures 2 happen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom