• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it looks amazing!

Before saying its shit how about we try the damn thing?

MESS at the ignorance here

bgMyK_s-200x150.gif

I'd like to clarify and say I believe if anyone can pull off making a fantastic face buttonless controller, Nintendo can do it. It's just not something that interests me.

Do you have any experience with haptic feedback buttons? Or are you talking about digital buttons as done on your regular iphone or whatever? Because the two concepts are not identical. Having the face button digital, but with haptic feedback to give tactile response could open a lot of really cool possibilities and honestly make it better than a traditional controller. But obviously this all depends on implementation (and price)

GAF team detective here. One thing to note is there only seems to be a smudge on the left hand side where the hand would touch the screen. There are zero smudges on the screen where you would normally press buttons. Seeing as how the controller looks like it is used for testing of some soort, one would think there would be smudges elsewhere from tapping on screen buttons. There may be another explanation besides touch screen buttons as we all assume.
Perhaps that part is matte. The screen looks like it stops in-between the analog.

cory64

(with this near confirmation, allow me to go off the handle and be reactionary)

Eff. What the hell, they're really going through with this haptic button shit?! Even Nintendo can't pull this off, you have to keep your eyes on the controller to make sure you're even hitting the button. Your fingers have no feedback to keep them guided on the button, it slips 1/4" and you're suddenly not hitting a button but you have no idea. People are excited for this? Why because it'll vibrate when you hit a button? That's going to be so damn annoying after about 3 minutes.

I just can't make sense of this.

ok, I feel better.

Pretty sure the tech is about you being able to feel the button without looking at it. It won't be perfect but it should be a generation or two ahead of the virtual buttons we're used to on phones. But who knows. It's not the worst idea in the world but I have no idea how they're going to sell it in 2016 and being Nintendo.

CronoShot

Even if it does use screen buttons, using proper haptic feedback could simulate an actual button press.

The 12" Macbook does something like that with the trackpad. It doesn't move or actually click, but the feedback makes it feel like it does.

And thus the new era of Nintendo began.

15 years from now people will be referencing the Wii U as the last "old" Nintendo console, before the new paradigm came to be.

Jesus... I knew this would happen. Nintendo is taking so long to reveal the NX it was bound to get leaked the fuck out before them doing it.

Nintendo if you want the rest of the surprise in your own terms (and release the console this year) you need to start the conversation about the NX now.

Ogawa-san

Stupidity of virtual buttons aside... Please oh please come with gorilla glass and oleophobic coating.

Fingerprints on Vita drive me insane but at least I can mostly avoid them. That thing would be permanently covered in them.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why do so many people think it's the controller?

Surely this is the handheld??

The title of the thread really ought to be changed I guess.

Wouldn't these be the same thing? Since, you know, you need to control a handheld as well.

Kamek

I love the hyperbole in here. Half of you have no idea what you're talking about. It's not RIP Nintendo. The company isn't going anywhere. You'll all be eating your words.

They made it a little wider to offset the thumbsticks, that's basically it. If this leak is the real deal there's no hope for any serious design changes between now and release that would address any of the major issues with the device as we see it now. They're not just going to magically add real buttons, change the entire shape to something not stupid. Maybe they'll make palm grips standard or alter the rear panel to be more contoured to your hand, but that's about it.

Yeah, what a drastic change! /s

Fucking wat?

No, they changed the sticks from nubs to actual sticks, made them clickable, changed the back grips, adjusted the size, changed the dpad position. A bunch of ergonomic changes. Did you guys read the article or watch the video? I'm not saying there's going to be drastic changes, but the 3 main complaints are

1. Ergonomics (the shape)
2. The nubs
3. Lack of buttons

And the top 2 have been shown to change fairly late

beta_fuse

There's absolutely no way this has no buttons. This is a prototype to show how it would run/work but there is little to no chance that physical buttons are gone.

There better be buttons dammit!

AdanVC

Looks even better in black! Don't get the hate, that looks fucking awesome IMHO. Looks modern and slick. Almost like if it was made by Apple. Nothing to do with the gamepad wich was totally the opposite of modern and slick. I wonder why they took two pics of the front and no pics of the back?.....

Hmmm

Man, this is gonna be a tough sell if this is real. Nintendo, what are you doing?! Like, I feel like the haptic buttons are going to scare off "hardcore gamers" because they'll feel like they're buying into the whole "mobile gaming is taking over" bit. And I'm not sure how it will market to casuals. Why do they need this if they already have iPhones/Tablets/whatever?

If this is real, it's really, really going to come down to a strong launch library and an innovate reason for having such a strange controller. I'm interested. I'll buy it at launch. But I love Nintendo. It's hard to see, just going off of this potential controller, how this will pick up traction among non-Nintendo fans. Hmmm

Pinky

Banned
Looks sexy, but the lack of buttons and the fact that the sticks sit within the screen really concern me. I need more context. Nintendo needs to clearly explain what this design is supposed to accomplish and how it will be effective for gaming. Of course, this is assuming it's even real. Looks pretty damn convincing to me. Damn, Nintendo needs to hurry the fuck up and get on with it.

akileese

Do you have any experience with haptic feedback buttons? Or are you talking about digital buttons as done on your regular iphone or whatever? Because the two concepts are not identical. Having the face button digital, but with haptic feedback to give tactile response could open a lot of really cool possibilities and honestly make it better than a traditional controller. But obviously this all depends on implementation (and price)

I have a steam controller that I've used extensively and didn't really care for the feel of it. Incredibly comfortable to hold, just kind of off.

see5harp

Not going to write them off. Wii was incredibly successful. I know that personally, I will never considering buying a handheld or a system that has a controller with no face buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom