• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX Controller Rumor [Up5: Original was fake, and thus this is too]

Status
Not open for further replies.

poodaddy

I swore it was fake.....why Nintendo? I'm your biggest defender man, why you doin this to me?!? I can't defend this shit!!!

Mdk7

The rumor literally states haptic feedback, which would exist for exactly that purpose

Haptic feedback usually works when you actually press, not when you need to "feel" where the button is.
They could make it different, but still I think it would make a lot more sense if you were looking at this screen.
Even if this thing does not make sense to me, I hate virtual buttons.

platina

Q6R2eR.gif

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I dunno, that kinda looks like a Vita with rounded edges...

Either this is an excellent fake or... yeah. I mean it looks pretty much what that patent picture looked like. That doesn't happen too often.

I'm 100% sold. Maybe like 75%. There's room for doubt and it's easy to see how someone who mock up an image of a Vita to look like that thing.

Assuming this is legit, it doesn't seem appealing to me at all, but will obviously reserve judgment until I'm able to hold it myself.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is NX a console or a handheld??

Maybe it's like Vita.

An independent handheld, that can also be a second-screen controller for the home system. Or in this case, IS the controller for the home system. But scalped of physical buttons.

I'm not seeing the 'totally new' here that Nintendo teased. On the surface this concept would be one of obvious refinements to the same ideas they've already explored. Unless there's 'one more thing' that puts a totally different spin on it.

I note that this device - if it is also their handheld - would allow a neat route/accommodation to touchscreen only mobile games, if that's where Nintendo's portable strategy is headed. Or if they want to keep that door open.

Makonero

I've tried button based games on my phone, while the responsiveness is fine including the haptic feedback, the lack of physical protrusions means I don't know where each button is without looking. Every so often I need to look at my thumbs to see if I've slipped away from the buttons. This just doesn't happen with buttons that protrude; you can rest your thumb over the diamond formation and forget about it.

This is a very worrying development and while I'm not against revolutionary controllers (I love the wii controller when it was first shown), we all know how capacitive screen buttons work and they're sub-par for gaming.

It would be bad for Nintendo to react to this leak, either with speeding up their plans or acknowledging it, as it'll set a precedent and leaks will become more commonplace. Still I would rather we get some official info now, put some fears to rest before things get out of control.
Also whoever leaked this is in serious trouble!

I wonder if the special screen might have a way to "create" buttons? That is, create protrusions? That would be a very cool way to address this and absolutely innovative.

KevinG

You same people who are mocking and hating on the design are the same ones who spout wanting backwards compatibility with Wii U.

This design, while it looks odd, looks to accomplish the innovation of their patent and fit into the idea of Wii U games still functioning on it.

whatever screw the haters
see this is what separates ninfans from the rest of yall. At least we have heart and soul, and are willing to stick with our loyalties to the bitter end. Sure we might disappointed now and then, but in the end nintendo in our eyes has delivered. And thats all that matters. We still have faith in something real, and we aren't quick to sell our souls to the fastest processors or the glitziest gadgets.

I believe

if youre a nintendo fan say it with me now. I believe.

I BELIEVE.

/2005

sonto340

(with this near confirmation, allow me to go off the handle and be reactionary)

Eff. What the hell, they're really going through with this haptic button shit?! Even Nintendo can't pull this off, you have to keep your eyes on the controller to make sure you're even hitting the button. Your fingers have no feedback to keep them guided on the button, it slips 1/4" and you're suddenly not hitting a button but you have no idea. People are excited for this? Why because it'll vibrate when you hit a button? That's going to be so damn annoying after about 3 minutes.

I just can't make sense of this.

ok, I feel better.
It's not going to vibrate when you hit the button.
Like yeah you might have to slide your thumb along and it'll "rumble" when your thumb is over the button then You'd press harder to press the button.
That's assuming it uses a technology like apples 3D Touch or something to detect how hard you're pushing the button.

It's gonna be a gimmicky fuck that alienates about every third party dev out there, isn't it?

Not really. I imagine for most games you'll just use a standard (possibly customizable in terms of layout) digital button layout using haptic feedback for tactile response instead of physical buttons. And really, the only advantage a physical button would have over a digital one is tactile response

Servbot24

Banned
I wonder if Nintendo fans will sudden;y decide that touch-only controls (ala mobile gaming) is actually fine after all. >_>

Fwiw I do think it's fine, but that controller is not the way to do it.

PBY

Banned
whatever screw the haters
see this is what separates ninfans from the rest of yall. At least we have heart and soul, and are willing to stick with our loyalties to the bitter end. Sure we might disappointed now and then, but in the end nintendo in our eyes has delivered. And thats all that matters. We still have faith in something real, and we aren't quick to sell our souls to the fastest processors or the glitziest gadgets.

I believe

if youre a nintendo fan say it with me now. I believe.

I BELIEVE.
What is this

So if they decided to get rid of physical buttons, why would they add scroll wheels to the top of it? Seems like an odd design choice. I can't wait to see how they try to justify all this insanity.

bachikarn

Millenials are cute, forgetting all about the virtual boy.

I'm not normally one to bask in salt, but my god is this thread glorious.

Virtual boy wasn't a mainline console. Wii U might have sold more but you could definitely argue it was a bigger failure for Nintendo

Oppo

the buttons are shoulder buttons

+ haptic/touch screen stuff

honestly I think it could really work. please be a handheld though. as a controller, not so much. was never sold on the split attention thing on the Wii U. if this works as a controller for "NX Home" then ok.

This is going to live or die based on how good the haptics are. If they're great, it's a revolution in making it possible for developers to give their game any controls they want. If not, it's virtual buttons on an iPhone.

On the other hand, I seriously doubt Nintendo would go with haptic buttons if they weren't 100% certain they'll work as well or better than traditional buttons. Right?

If it runs wii u games, even just digitally, and is $300 or less I'll probably buy one just to play Wii U games but yeah this looks stupid as hell.

The weird thing is we don't see any leaks of the actual console itself so I can't tell if this is the NX controller or the NX handheld standalone (but then whats it plugging into...)

The circle pads became analog sticks, but yeah, other than that not much.

The buttons became more inset as well.

Obviously they aren't suddenly going to add buttons if their plan is no buttons, but that doesn't mean they are married to the form factor.

It's different and unique, I'll definitely want to test one out before I make my mind up. Nintendo have rarely made a controller / handheld that uncomfortable to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom